• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
kassatsu said:
Does anyone have Invisible Target? I was thinking of picking it up this week and wanted to know how the transfer was.

i just saw someone in the jan pick up post thread that snagged it.

when asked how it was, here was the dude's reply:

btf1980 said:
I like it. The Cantonese DTS-MA Audio track is ridiculous though. The LFE is pretty tight. It rocked my sub hard. Jackie Chans kid ain't half bad.

Laurent said:
I don't think they were HD-DVD backers as much as that video made them look like...

They've mentioned the HD-DVD/Blu-ray thing on their show plenty of other times ($100 Wal-Mart HD-DVD players immediately comes to mind).

smurfx

get some go again
Laurent said:
I don't think they were HD-DVD backers as much as that video made them look like...
alex for very much for hd-dvd and put down blu ray a lot of times. not surprised they didn't even mention it on diggnation.

surazal

smurfx said:
alex for very much for hd-dvd and put down blu ray a lot of times. not surprised they didn't even mention it on diggnation.

Digg is very anti-Sony. Not surprising they didn't mention anything about the format war now that it is in favor of Blu-Ray. I'm sure it if was good news about Apple, Nintendo or xbox 360, it will be all over diggnation.

Microsoft is also one of Digg's advertising partners.
http://blog.digg.com/?p=89

smurfx

get some go again
surazal said:
Digg is very anti-Sony. Not surprising they didn't mention anything about the format war now that it is in favor of Blu-Ray. I'm sure it if was good news about Apple, Nintendo or xbox 360, it will be all over diggnation.

Microsoft is also one of Digg's advertising partners.
http://blog.digg.com/?p=89
kevin isn't really that anti sony, it's alex who is a huge microsoft fanboy. kevin has even mentioned watching some blu ray's and how good it looked. don't know if i'm mistaken but i think kevin even owns a ps3.

border

smurfx said:
kevin isn't really that anti sony, it's alex who is a huge microsoft fanboy. kevin has even mentioned watching some blu ray's and how good it looked. don't know if i'm mistaken but i think kevin even owns a ps3.
There's a semi-famous claim of Kevin on YouTube, where he claims that Motorstorm looks like a Nintendo 64 game.

I'd say they are not so much fanboys, but just two dudes who drink and talk out of their ass.....hating/loving something just based on the other's tone or the culture's tone. For a news show, you notice they basically never know much beyond the headline of the story they are reading. It's all just drunken bullshitting. Though the fact that they just straight-up ignored the BR victory seems suspicious.....maybe next week's episode will have something.

Raistlin

snorggy said:
when does the blue pac-man usually arrive? curious to see what kind of effect (if any) the warner news might have had.

I can't remember the details ... but I think they went to monthly instead of weekly now?

For some reason, the 18th rings a bell. Can't recall though.

TheJesusFactor said:
Not sure if this is credible, but it looks like Digital Playground is not exclusive to Blu-ray anymore.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=37343

Ah yes, the old " I called them and they told me....".
Have you ever called customer support for a company?
Any company it doesn't matter, just think to that time and how all knowing that person was...

I swear the funniest part is them calling Engadget biased to blu :lol

inner-G

Banned
nuclear.blast.jpg

fucking WAL-MART is going BD exclusive

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2008/01/07/intv.blu.ray.rising.pope.cnn?iref=videosearch

Mega-fucking-ton, HD-DVD dead, etc.

Raistlin

Argyle said:

:lol

I'm sorry ... but for the few fanatical HD DVD supports that were trying to gather the masses to do a big movie purchase, and 'prove' to Warner that they made a mistake ...

Guess the masses sold their players already :p

inner-G said:
fucking WAL-MART is going BD exclusive

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/business/2008/01/07/intv.blu.ray.rising.pope.cnn?iref=videosearch

Mega-fucking-ton, HD-DVD dead, etc.

0_o

OH SHITS. Well, that's all she wrote.

The house of cards is completely going down now. Once a retailer the size of WalMart jumps ship ... the rest will follow ... and it will likely be pretty quick. I'm expecting BB and CC to jump within the month.

And if this new actually isn't correct, I still expect them to switch within say 3 months :p

Snah said:
To be fair, I think the person is just uninformed. I'm pretty sure he's confusing Wal-Mart with Target.

That being said, yes, HD-DVD is dead. 85:15, Warner announcement. There's no righting that train.

Penton and others have been implying this for a little while now, though this is not a confirmation yet and I do not think that it is time yet.

Snah

Banned
OokieSpookie said:
Penton and others have been implying this for a little while now, though this is not a confirmation yet.

Speaking of which, what happened to the Insiders thread on the Blu-Ray forums?

Raistlin

Snah said:
Speaking of which, what happened to the Insiders thread on the Blu-Ray forums?

A number of HD DVD ass-clowns came in and started attacking the BD insiders. The thread was locked, and I would assume deleted by now.

It was utter chaos during CES.

Snah

Banned
Onix said:
A number of HD DVD ass-clowns came in and started attacking the BD insiders. The thread was locked, and I would assume deleted by now.

It was utter chaos after the Warner announcement.

wtf? seriously. that's a real shame.

that thread was great.

Snah said:
To be fair, I think the person is just uninformed. I'm pretty sure he's confusing Wal-Mart with Target.

That being said, yes, HD-DVD is dead. 85:15, Warner announcement. There's no righting that train.

The battle is over. Stores switching to Blu Ray exclusive is simply a reaction, not an action, at this point. Its a good thing, because now anybody sitting on the fence knows what to buy and those silly 1500 dollar dual format players that people were buying to be "safe" are now redundant for the most part.

lupin23rd

So Walmart is going exclusive, but actually that might be a mistake.

And Digital Playground was going exclusive, but apparently that may be a mistake too?

Anyways, did anyone in Canada exchange their mis-pressed Blade Runner disc 5 (BD) for a new copy? I'm not sure who to contact about this, I saw an email for a Warner CS person in a thread somewhere but never got a response. Thanks!

Xater

miyamotofreak said:
HDDVD is dead. I'm considering cancelling my Twit sub after hearing that garbage this week.

Seriously TWIT this wek was horrible. Leo was right but there was this guy from what engadget? Such an idiot.

avaya

When the article from Hollywood Reporter says "Net HD-DVD sales" does it mean net as in difference between returns and actual sell-through or are they talking about online?

Very strange term to use there.

Also the CNN report, Stepehn Pope is a tech generalist analyst from Cantor Fitzgerald. He is the one who claimed the HD optical market could be 2-3x the DVD market in the future i.e. a $120bn market...make of that what you will. He also repeated the Enderle Wii shortage caused PS3 sales increase line...

Laurent

Xater said:
Seriously TWIT this wek was horrible. Leo was right but there was this guy from what engadget? Such an idiot.
Yeah, he was saying that HD-DVD was FAR from being dead... I was bafled! But at least Leo doesn't follow whatever opinion is guests have, he kept saying that the consumer will follow whatever format as 75% of Hollywood releases...

Laurent

lupin23rd said:
Anyways, did anyone in Canada exchange their mis-pressed Blade Runner disc 5 (BD) for a new copy? I'm not sure who to contact about this, I saw an email for a Warner CS person in a thread somewhere but never got a response. Thanks!
I did the same thing, but obtain no response. It wasn't the email dedicated to that matter, so that maybe why I haven't got a quick response... I am considering calling the phone number, I think I saw it on the Blade Runner's review from HighDefDigest...

Xater

Laurent said:
Yeah, he was saying that HD-DVD was FAR from being dead... I was bafled! But at least Leo doesn't follow whatever opinion is guests have, he kept saying that the consumer will follow whatever format as 75% of Hollywood releases...

That's exactly the part I meant. Thank god Leo has some common sense.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
StoOgE said:
WHERE ARE MY FIRESALES? I demand cheap movies.

Seriously. The best I've seen is Amazon's $15 movies.

BTW, knowing that we wouldn't be getting a Netflix movie until the weekend, I took the plunge on an Xbox Live HD download. I'm on DSL, so it took 24 hours to be able to view the movie. Not convenient. Anyway, the movie
Next, it was my wife's idea :(
looked quite good on my 56" DLP, though there were obvious banding, detail, and slight compression issues and the encode struggled with fast moving scenes. Definitely a big step down in quality from HD DVD/Blu Ray, but nothing that would bug someone like say, my wife. The sound was DD 5.1 and sounded pretty good, but I'm no audiophile. The download was about 4.4 gigs, so I wasn't expecting HD disc-level video/audio.

Overall, it was pretty cool, and I could see this becoming more mainstream, but not anytime soon. The high prices, long download times, and limited selection will likely keep HD movie downloads as a niche for a few more years. SD downloads, on the other hand, may take off sooner, but not with Apple's model. I think MS' (and soon Sony's) approach, with their set top box delivering the download, is the better model, since the boxes will easily outsell AppleTV.

Kolgar

BoboBrazil said:

Snah said:
Wow. Biggest week for Blu ever.

LOL, I'm sorry, but what did everyone expect after the Warner announcement?

I think a ton of Blu-ray owners probably bought discs in celebration (and relief knowing their purchases were safe) and a few reds went blu as well.

This is not a surprise.

edit: Is Wal-Mart going Blu-ray exclusive? They'd better, and the rest of the retailers had better follow along quickly. This is virtually over, but it needs to be over for REAL.

I liked HD DVD as much as anyone, but I saw a commercial for it last night and it felt like seeing a ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom