• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew there was a good reason I put you on ignore.
big_rolleyes.gif

jjasper

ManaByte said:
FOX IS NOT USING MANAGED COPY

They are doing this with their standard DVD releases; both Die Hard 4 and Blue Harvest include digital copies; and Managed Copy is not something normal DVDs are able to do.

ALL FOX IS DOING IS INCLUDING A .MP4 DRM PROTECTED FILE ON THE DISC

It's no different from the movies you download off of iTunes. It isn't using Managed Copy to copy the movie, simply the storage space to include what is basically an iTunes movie file using their own custom DRM solution.

That's what I thought. The original question was can you export this movie file off the Blu Ray with a DVD drive? Or using a PS3 can you extract it and load it to a iPod.

Raistlin

VictimOfGrief said:
Also the whole which one is more proprietary... are you basing that on which one had more support than the other when launched? I can see that point.

Yes, that is the basis.

It is also the basis for why BluRay was always projected, from the very beginning, to win by the majority of analysts.

Onix said:
Yes, that is the basis.

It is also the basis for why BluRay was always projected, from the very beginning, to win by the majority of analysts.

But Rob Enderle....!

Damn, if it only weren't for that Wii shortage!

michaeld

Banned
From tomshardware
CES was unkind to HD DVD this year, but don't underestimate the power of the fledgling format.

A couple days before the beginning of this month's Consumer Electronics Show, Warner Home Video announced it decided to support Blu-ray exclusively and end its relationship with HD DVD. This gave a tremendous push to Blu-ray's existing lead and dominance with studio support.

"This was a big win for Sony and Blu-ray will certainly increase its share of the market," says Gloria Barczak, an electronics branding expert and marketing professor at Northeastern University.

However, don't forget that the format war is still in its infancy. Neither HD format is even two years old yet. Standard DVD sales still dwarf both high-def format sales combined. There is plenty of time before one of these formats will become the standard.

Also, keep in mind that more than 90% of all Blu-ray hardware sales come in the form of the Playstation 3. A video game console is a solid platform on which to launch a new format medium, but it's hardly enough to sustain the medium for years to come.

We're not exactly looking at new turf here. Sony has doled out countless formats, all of which were technologically superior and impressive on a specification sheet. However, the company has had a pathetic success rate with these formats. I'm talking about Betamax, which was actually better than VHS; the Digital Audio Tape and Minidisc were both the first to explore the field of recordable digital audio but both failed, and Sony's Hi8 video camcorder tape format also sunk.

And of course, looking at the Playstation 3 factor is a must when we are talking about Blu-ray. While it seems good to have such huge support from a device, it seems very difficult to swallow the idea that a game console can determine the result of an entire format war.

The Playstation 2 was considered one of the big pushes for DVD players, but today I'm sure very few people use their PS2 as their main DVD player.

HD DVD has many things going for it. The players are less bulky and less expensive. It is also not as costly for studios to publish their films on HD DVD. Blu-ray is the much more expensive format. Also, HD DVD has always run circles around Blu-ray with regard to bonus material. Over a dozen HD DVD titles now have special material that can be accessed directly through the player's Ethernet connection and downloaded to its internal hard drive.

There are far more Blu-ray titles without HD-exclusive features than is the case for HD DVD. The technology often is considered to be superior and cheaper on the HD DVD side, but Blu-ray just happens to have the PS3 factor. In my opinion, that is really the only thing it has on its side right now, and if that fizzles, we're looking at a completely new ball game.

"Certainly, having one format ends confusion for the consumer but they will still be unwilling to buy if they don't see value in what they're buying," said Barczak.

Think about it. The technology world is filled with powerful comeback stories. Look at Nintendo and its unabashed success with the Wii. Just a few years ago some critics were counting Nintendo out of the console race for good. Or look at Apple, the whole Intel/AMD scenario or HP in the PC arena.

Sure, HD DVD has a long way to go to re-establish itself, but the opportunity is still out there. Looking back at history, movie studios have jumped ship from formats, fads have died off with the snap of a finger, and there's always the chance for a unpredictable surprise that changes the game entirely. It's all happened before, and the fact that this format war is so highly publicized just makes every shift so crucial. It'll be at least another year before we know for sure who has the permanent upper hand.

The battle is still too close to call at this time. My advice: If you aren't part of the early-adopter crowd and you don't want to run the risk of investing into a failing format, remain patient. One year ago, this battle looked completely different and we would be surprised if the HD DVD camp would give up that easily.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cold-Steel said:
All is well in Blu-land, the red haters are taking every opportunity to make lives miserable - ironically reflecting their own sad agenda.

So why are the anti-HD DVD folks trying to make lives miserable? And what is their agenda you speak of? I'm trying to figure ookie out.

michaeld said:
From tomshardware

:rolleyes

VanMardigan said:
So why are the anti-HD DVD folks trying to make lives miserable? And what is their agenda you speak of? I'm trying to figure ookie out.

You just need to stop already, we've thrown you a life preserver and you're still swimming in denial.

I don't get all these tech sites being hd-dvd fanboys. Betanews, tomshardware, engadget. Seems like all of these sites keep trying to push hd-dvd. They have a pretty obvious agenda in what articles and news they post. If it is positive hd-dvd they'll post it, but any positive blu-ray news they ignore...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Cold-Steel said:
You just need to stop already, we've thrown you a life preserver and you're still swimming in denial.

This makes even less sense than your previous post about folks who hate HD DVD having sad agendas.

Christopher

I went to blockbuster today and they had this big ass tv with a blu ray logo on the top and the PS3 with the blu ray remote in a casing next to it playing Spiderman 3 - and people there were quite a few people around it.

I was impressed - I guess their really pushing the PS3 as a BRD player.

bill0527

VanMardigan said:
My stupid ass blockbuster hasn't gotten a Blu Ray in since Ocean's 13. And they still only have Transformers for HD DVD. :(

My 3 local Blockbusters suck ass hard and don't carry any Hi-def movies... period. They have to be some of the worst stores in the entire chain. I wouldn't be surprised if they're even open for business a year from now.

There's a local regional chain where I live that now carries Blu-Ray and has $0.99 Wednesday rental specials. They get all of my business now.

Christopher

Wow are you guys kidding we have a pretty good row and a half of blu ray movies and a small section for HD DVD - some good selection choices too, but the new ones are always out :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
They have a section set apart for Blu Ray, but only the top two shelves are BR movies (about 6 BR movies and Transfromers) and the rest of it is dvd's. I was excited when they first did that, but they haven't expanded that section, nor added new movies in a really long time. I have Netflix, but getting new releases is tough, so I'd love for BB to carry new releases and leave Netflix for older titles and dvds.

ManaByte

Gold Member
jjasper said:
That's what I thought. The original question was can you export this movie file off the Blu Ray with a DVD drive? Or using a PS3 can you extract it and load it to a iPod.

A DVD drive cannot read a Blu-Ray disc. I'd imagine it's targeted towards people with a BRD drive in their PC, which is becoming more common. Vaio notebooks have them, and Gateway has a system now with a BRD/HD-DVD combo drive.

Oni Jazar

Christopher said:
I went to blockbuster today and they had this big ass tv with a blu ray logo on the top and the PS3 with the blu ray remote in a casing next to it playing Spiderman 3 - and people there were quite a few people around it.

I was impressed - I guess their really pushing the PS3 as a BRD player.

I went to BB yesterday and saw that they were selling a PS3 bundle - PS3 80gb, 3 BD movies, remote, HDMI cable $599. Custom box made for it too. Very surprised.

FUCKING NPD. :mad:

I just came back from Best Buy and I was shocked to see that they have removed their HD-DVD demo unit. The tv isn't hooked up to anything so it's not like it's a change in endcaps, it's just gone.

Top 10 HDM for the week

Blu-ray
1. 3:10 to Yuma Lionsgate
2. 300 Warner
3. Pirates: At World's End Disney
4. Resident Evil: Extinction Sony
5. Blood Diamond Warner
6. Harry Potter: Goblet of Fire Warner
7. War Lionsgate
8. GoodFellas Warner
9. Harry Potter: Phoenix Warner
10. Harry Potter: Sorcerer's Stone Warner

HD DVD
1. The Kingdom Universal
2. Bourne Ultimatum Universal
3. Zodiac: Director's Cut Paramount
4. Blade Runner Warner
5. Blood Diamond Warner
6. Transformers DreamWorks-Par
7. GoodFellas Warner
8. Harry Potter: Phoenix Warner
9. Training Day Warner
10. Serenity Universal

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/home_entertainment/video/index.jsp

No point in posting the Top 10 overall for the week. ;)

Katana_Strikes said:
Top 10 HDM for the week

Blu-ray
2. 300 Warner
5. Blood Diamond Warner
7. War Lionsgate
8. GoodFellas Warner

HD DVD
1. The Kingdom Universal
4. Blade Runner Warner
5. Blood Diamond Warner
7. GoodFellas Warner
9. Training Day Warner
10. Serenity Universal

And The Kingdom only sold 10% of the number of units that 3:10 to Yuma did....

Onix said:
I'm really not making fun of you ... just pointing out why people aware of such matters are going to debate your comments.
Actually people would debate my comments regardless because apparently "Forever Dumb" isn't just a tag.... it's a lifestyle. :lol

Thinking about it, this might be a good time for me to jump in to the HD movie arena, with everyone selling off their HD-DVD drives and discs on eBay...

or am I stupid?

bune duggy said:
FUCKING NPD. :mad:

I just came back from Best Buy and I was shocked to see that they have removed their HD-DVD demo unit. The tv isn't hooked up to anything so it's not like it's a change in endcaps, it's just gone.

550884~Dominoes-Posters.jpg

The media has really killed the competition and retailers are just following suit.

Mifune

Mehmber
JonathanEx said:
Thinking about it, this might be a good time for me to jump in to the HD movie arena, with everyone selling off their HD-DVD drives and discs on eBay...

or am I stupid?

If you don't mind buying tech that doesn't have much of a future, why not.

Also, if it's between HD-DVD and no HD movies whatsoever, I say go for HD-DVD. You can always go blu later.

Raistlin

JonathanEx said:

or am I stupid?

:lol

Please tell me you aren't serious?

avaya

JonathanEx said:

or am I stupid?

Are you in Europe?

I wouldn't even think about it. Once you go HD optical you don't go back to shitty DVD. It's like crack.

A fair few HD-DVD exclusives from Universal and Paramount are Blu-ray in Europe too.

In the end you will want to get a Blu-ray player. I wouldn't spend twice for a short-term fix. I never tell people how to spend their money but unless you really can't afford a Blu-ray player then go with what you want.

Snah

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
My main problem with Sony in general and the reason why I resisted getting a Blu-Ray player was because of Sony's previous formats and their shoving that as the standard that everyone would just accept at some point.

I'm not convinced at this point that the PS3 sales directly impact the war greatly but it does play a part.

I'm surprised though, we haven't heard jack shit about HD DVD doubling it's format size since Paramount jumped to HD DVD and then this whole WB melodrama started.

You are an absolute fool if you believe that.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
best buy is smart to get rid of the endcap. selling an hddvd player to j6p at this point is horrid customer service.

StoOgE said:
best buy is smart to get rid of the endcap. selling an hddvd player to j6p at this point is horrid customer service.
Not to mention there are any number of announcements that could hit at any time which would have the customer returning it pissed off.
It is a fine line between doing what is good for business while not wanting to burn any bridges with Toshiba.

djkimothy

Katana_Strikes said:
Top 10 HDM for the week

Blu-ray
2. 300 Warner
5. Blood Diamond Warner
7. War Lionsgate
8. GoodFellas Warner

HD DVD
1. The Kingdom Universal
4. Blade Runner Warner
5. Blood Diamond Warner
7. GoodFellas Warner
9. Training Day Warner
10. Serenity Universal

No point in posting the Top 10 overall for the week. ;)

Is there a sneak peak into the numbers?

3:10 to Yuma was good, but not a buy for me.

djkimothy

sonycowboy said:
Recap for the new to the page

85:15
Top 10 completely Blu-Ray
3:10 To Yuma sold 10x better than the best HD-DVD title, The Kingdom.

Wow, well, hopefully that's sustainable and we can give whatever remains of this war a quick death.

Blue pacman finally in biting mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom