• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdunn

Nicodimas said:
I completely disagree Onix. In six years, we will see Holographic disks with 4k resolution cropping up and a few years from that it will be the standard. Film is still way way beyond 1080P.

Six years? Really? Would that be December 31, 2013 or January 1, 2014?

Who'll be members of the Holo Disc(TM) Association?

Nicodimas

Banned
The HVD FORUM (formerly the HVD Alliance) is a coalition of corporations purposed to provide an industry forum for testing and technical discussion of all aspects of HVD design and manufacturing. By cooperating, members of the Forum hope to expedite development and engender a market receptive to HVD technology.

As of February 2006, the HVD FORUM comprises these corporations:

Alps Electric Corporation, Ltd.
CMC Magnetics Corporation
Dainippon Ink and Chemicals, Inc. (DIC)
EMTEC International (subsidiary of the MPO Group)
Fuji Photo Film Company, Ltd.
Konica Minolta Holdings, Inc.
LiteOn Technology Corporation
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Company, Ltd. (MKM)
Nippon Kayaku Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Company, Ltd.
Optware Corporation
Pulstec Industrial Company, Ltd.
Shibaura Mechatronics Corporation
Software Architects, Inc. (?)
Suruga Seiki Company, Ltd.
Targray Technology International, Inc.
Teijin Chemicals, Ltd.
Toagosei Company, Ltd.
Tokiwa Optical Corporation

Though its bit out there still:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Or this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacked_Volumetric_Optical_Disk

The next format war!

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
We are talking movies..I want 4k as soon as possible!

For the general population, there is absolutely NO incentive to get a 4k TV ... at all.

Do you realize what size the TV would need to be to make that resolution resolvable to our eyes? 4K makes sense for movie THEATERS ... not for your house.

Broadcasts might be in 1080P for a decade+, but video players are moving on a 5 year cycle. This will help TVs to keep selling.

1) decade+? Do you realize how long NTSC was around before the HD broadcast spec happened? Jesus, we haven't even moved to dedicated digital broadcasting as it is :lol Expect the HD spec to be around for another 70 years.

2) And this 5 year video player cycle is based on what? It certainly isn't by studio and CE design. DVD's expected 'shorter lifespan' is due to the date it came out ... ie. a few years before the transition to HD broadcasting. There is no new broadcast spec coming along that will cause the same thing to happen to HDM.

Nicodimas said:
We are talking movies..I want 4k as soon as possible!

Broadcasts might be in 1080P for a decade+, but video players are moving on a 5 year cycle. This will help TVs to keep selling.

You bitch about the prices of blu ray players yet you want a 4k tv :lol

Nicodimas said:
Thats why people have home theaters! 103/140 inch screen..ya know?

Have you ever heard of the term HTIB?

It applies to the majority of the population (aka: reality), not enthusiasts like everyone posting in this forum.

Also, enthusiasts can be poor too (see HD-DVD).

Nicodimas

Banned
You bitch about the prices of blu ray players yet you want a 4k tv

All I want is a competive marketplace. My belief is a competition would bring quanity/quality of releases up as the rivals went at it. Which happened, but another year would have been perfect.

avaya

Nicodimas said:
The HVD FORUM (formerly the HVD Alliance) is a coalition of corporations purposed to provide an industry forum for testing and technical discussion of all aspects of HVD design and manufacturing. By cooperating, members of the Forum hope to expedite development and engender a market receptive to HVD technology.

As of February 2006, the HVD FORUM comprises these corporations:

Alps Electric Corporation, Ltd.
CMC Magnetics Corporation
Dainippon Ink and Chemicals, Inc. (DIC)
EMTEC International (subsidiary of the MPO Group)
Fuji Photo Film Company, Ltd.
Konica Minolta Holdings, Inc.
LiteOn Technology Corporation
Mitsubishi Kagaku Media Company, Ltd. (MKM)
Nippon Kayaku Co., Ltd.
Nippon Paint Company, Ltd.
Optware Corporation
Pulstec Industrial Company, Ltd.
Shibaura Mechatronics Corporation
Software Architects, Inc. (?)
Suruga Seiki Company, Ltd.
Targray Technology International, Inc.
Teijin Chemicals, Ltd.
Toagosei Company, Ltd.
Tokiwa Optical Corporation

Though its bit out there still:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc

Or this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacked_Volumetric_Optical_Disk

The next format war!

No Matsushita, Sony, Philips, TDK, Hitachi, Sharp, Toshiba, LG, Samsung = Non-forum.

3 of those companies missing will come as one: Matsushita, Sony and Philips.

Normally the others follow Matsushita. If then anyone wants to choose the opposite side from Matsushita...you get a format war and the side that went against Matsushita loses.

Matsushita always win.

Always.

Don't know if this has been posted yet :

Warner Germany today announced that till the end of June we will see Blu Ray releases of :

Batman Begins

V for Vendetta

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

So if we in Germany get these films, America will see these film too, i think.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Nicodimas said:
1st, it's funny you don't know the correct name for the "4k resolution tv's".

2nd, Ultra HD(which is actually 4320p) will be too expensive to be available to consumers in six years. it'll be in venues.

3rd, "NHK(the guys who developed ultra hd) has an internal goal of getting ultra HD to market by 2025. "

4th, you're butthurt.

Onix said:
For the general population, there is absolutely NO incentive to get a 4k TV ... at all.

Do you realize what size the TV would need to be to make that resolution resolvable to our eyes? 4K makes sense for movie THEATERS ... not for your house.

1) decade+? Do you realize how long NTSC was around before the HD broadcast spec happened? Jesus, we haven't even moved to dedicated digital broadcasting as it is :lol Expect the HD spec to be around for another 70 years.

2) And this 5 year video player cycle is based on what? It certainly isn't by studio and CE design. DVD's expected 'shorter lifespan' is due to the date it came out ... ie. a few years before the transition to HD broadcasting. There is no new broadcast spec coming along that will cause the same thing to happen to HDM.
+1

These butthurt HD DVD fans just want to plant the seed of fear into BD supporters that their format too will die soon. HVD this, HD-VMD that. :lol

And yes, Matsushita Always Win. Always.

Nicodimas

Banned
And yes, Matsushita Always Win. Always.

Holographic disks are there pet project and they are heavily invested in them. They and Toshiba and Sony are patent holders I believe..

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20071106/141846/
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200015/000020001500A0447139.php
http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/18/toshiba-buys-into-optwares-holographic-storage-plans/

Here is who supports which side on the next gen fight:
http://manifest-tech.com/media_dvd/dvd_holo.htm

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

Yeah ... front projectors are real mainstream.

Whether some sort of niche product comes out to support higher resolutions is a totally different argument. We are talking about mainstream formats.

Nicodimas said:
I see what you did there.. but you conveniently didn't address the post I quoted however.

The tag was well earned I see.

If you really think moving to 4K TVs any time soon is feasible with the HD transition STILL going through growing pains after so many years you're INSANE.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
All I want is a competive marketplace. My belief is a competition would bring quanity/quality of releases up as the rivals went at it. Which happened, but another year would have been perfect.

The specs are already done ... more competition does nothing but hurt adoption at this point.

And if anything, actually lowers the quality of the media. Studios have acknowledged that the majority of multiplatform releases shared the same encode.

Now is the time for the natural competition that occurs on a format. Just like DVD, you will see CE companies and studios compete against each other ... this will lead to better products.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Are we seriously? :lol HDM is not mainstream. 1080p is not either...yet :)

You're really being a jackass today ... aren't you?

Last time I checked ... the studios and CE's INTENT is for BD to be a mainstream format. That's why billions have been invested in it.

Do you honestly see them then turning around and doind the same R&D, planning, contracting, etc. for a format that people have no incentive to purchase? Crap, there won't even be viable display devices for it.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Oh yea, watching some Jericho typing to you baddies. But I have the best quote from onix..ever!

Please tell me what the best quote from Onix is?

I'd love to see exactly how you're spinning my statement to be some sort of 'dis'.

What makes it all the funnier, is that you have singled out ONE STATEMENT by me (that is likely correct anyway) ... and claiming some sort of moral victory by it. Yet you have been shown to be owned on dozens of statements ... by everyone ... just today. :lol

avaya

Nicodimas said:
Holographic disks are there pet project and they are heavily invested in them. They and Toshiba and Sony are patent holders I believe..

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20071106/141846/
http://sciencelinks.jp/j-east/article/200015/000020001500A0447139.php
http://www.engadget.com/2005/07/18/toshiba-buys-into-optwares-holographic-storage-plans/

Here is who supports which side on the next gen fight:
http://manifest-tech.com/media_dvd/dvd_holo.htm

Yes. Everyone has projects on the side. In the end they need to form a standard, currently it's touchy feely experimentation with the design. When the companies band together around the broadcast empire and Matsushita specifically then we will see this take off.

However this is many years away.

Nicodimas

Banned
I am fine with being "Owned" onix. It does not bother me.

Do you honestly see them then turning around and doind the same R&D, planning, contracting, etc. for a format that people have no incentive to purchase? Crap, there won't even be viable display devices for it.

Sorry if I am being an ass. I certainly hope they are trying for better stuff and not stagnation isn't that the reason we enjoy this stuff?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nicodimas said:
Sorry if I am being an ass. I certainly hope they are trying for better stuff and not stagnation isn't that the reason we enjoy this stuff?
Then do yourself a favor and buy a BD player if you have not already done so.

It's just going to get better and better from now on.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
I am fine with being "Owned" onix. It does not bother me.

I'm really not trying to 'own' you. However, you claim I made some laughable statement.

Please, enlighten me. What was it? Let me guess, the 'decades' statement? If that's the case, I'm more than happy to give a detailed explanation as to why it is correct.

The problem is, you have to consider the mainstream. There may certainly be some level of niche product to come out offering greater fidelity ... but that isn't the argument now is it? We are talking about a heavily supported format - one that actually has a lot of content and products.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Do you guys think that future players will reap greater picture fidelity? DVD players were always in a state of flux as the companies managed to develop better video chips and scalers and thusly improved upon the picture by large margins but this was mainly due to the inherent need to convert the signal from a digital one to an analog one and back again in some instances and the need to upscale the image to higher resolutions, right?

Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) gives you 1080p out of the box and from what I've read there's very little (if any?) conversion of the signal with the Blu-Ray player essentially just passing on the info unmolested to the display.

So in a few years time will Blu-Ray players do a substantially better job than today's?

Nicodimas

Banned
So in a few years time will Blu-Ray players do a substantially better job than today's?

I am sure there will be better processors.Though, I am not sure though as they may leave this up to the televisions. Possibly deep color someday on the 1080P format?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Witchfinder General said:
Do you guys think that future players will reap greater picture fidelity? DVD players were always in a state of flux as the companies managed to develop better video chips and scalers and thusly improved upon the picture by large margins but this was mainly due to the inherent need to convert the signal from a digital one to an analog one and back again in some instances and the need to upscale the image to higher resolutions, right?

Blu-Ray (and HD-DVD) gives you 1080p out of the box and from what I've read there's very little (if any?) conversion of the signal with the Blu-Ray player essentially just passing on the info unmolested to the display.

I've read that some of the more high end BD players already do display better picture than standard players.

I don't know how true it is though.
Really too early to say. (i do belive that picture fidelity will increase slightly, but the bulk of picture problems comes down to the settings on your display)
encodes will always get better, much like with DVD.
Of course, but he's not talking about encodes.

djkimothy

Why don't we all do ourselves a favour and put Nicodimas on ignore. I know the fun of gaf is all about the hating but the stuff that he's spewing is just flamebait/rubbish.

NR1

New FOX movies are heading to Blu-ray this Fall!

-Mrs. Doubtfire
-Patton
-The Longest Day
-The Sand Pebbles

These are appearently part of a major "Father's Day line-up" by Fox. Also included as part of this promo are Master & Commander, A Bridge Too Far and Battle of Britain.

No release dates have been given (other than Spring 2008); however, they should be out before Father's Day, which is on Sunday, June 15.

Source: High-Def Digest

Oh Hai guys... WTF is going on in here.

I re-read the last 3-4 pages and I'm left here scratching my head.

BTW, where the FUCK is my Aliens on Blu-Ray Fox?
you mother bitches!!

NR1 said:
New FOX movies are heading to Blu-ray this Fall!

-Mrs. Doubtfire
-Patton
-The Longest Day
-The Sand Pebbles

These are appearently part of a major "Father's Day line-up" by Fox. Also included as part of this promo are Master & Commander, A Bridge Too Far and Battle of Britain.

No release dates have been given (other than Spring 2008); however, they should be out before Father's Day, which is on Sunday, June 15.

Source: High-Def Digest
:lol what?

Raistlin

For SW, yes:

1) Current encodes are not pushing the bit-rate limit

2) Encoders themselves will get more efficient / higher quality

3) Tools will get better

4) Engineers will get better

For HW, scalers will get better/cheaper for non-1080p TV's. That is technically the corollary to what you were talking about with DVD players. Though the difference won't be as dramatic as it was with DVD, since a lot of the tech is shared (plus, deinterlacing was always the worst part of DVD ... and isn't applicable).

I'm sure there are some other avenues they can go down ... but I don't think it will amount to the evolution we saw with DVD, especially for people with 1080p.

NR1

bune duggy said:
:lol what?

Haha! Well, that was a mistake. :lol I guess I'm just too used to citing "Fall 200x" for movies and games that I just use it without thinking.

The article says these are part of a Father's Day promo, yet June is widely viewed as a summer month... then again the first day of summer is June 21.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Onix said:
For SW, yes:

1) Current encodes are not pushing the bit-rate limit

2) Encoders themselves will get more efficient / higher quality

3) Tools will get better

4) Engineers will get better

For HW, scalers will get better/cheaper for non-1080p TV's. That is technically the corollary to what you were talking about with DVD players. Though the difference won't be as dramatic as it was with DVD, since a lot of the tech is shared (plus, deinterlacing was always the worst part of DVD ... and isn't applicable).

I'm sure there are some other avenues they can go down ... but I don't think it will amount to the evolution we saw with DVD, especially for people with 1080p.

I figured as much for software.

So basically, if you have a 1080p TV now and a good Blu-Ray player there's really no reason to upgrade (other than profile updates for java/web content if that's your thing) for a good long while.

Raistlin

I figured as much for software.

So basically, if you have a 1080p TV now and a good Blu-Ray player there's really no reason to upgrade (other than profile updates for java/web content if that's your thing) for a good long while.

That appears to be the case. I suppose time will tell.

Christopher

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would be awesome in HD (the old one).

Lets get some other catalog titles in there. I don't expect BOGO on new titles, but I wouldn't mind the catalog titles being up for sales like that.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Onix said:
That appears to be the case. I suppose time will tell.

That's a relief. I'll be starting college in a couple of weeks and I'll be dirt poor for at least three years and thusly won't be able to indulge in my audio/visual habits.

The only thing I might get is the new panasonic Blu-Ray player imported from the US at the end of the year as more and more Blu-Ray movies are region locked and the US has a far greater collection than Australia.

Loudninja

I got a nice return e-mail from the US Government...thanking me for my help and that they will begin investigating any anti-trust law Violations against the WB and the rest of the BDA...it was because of a petition I signed..so if the WB ignores the one petition from HD DVD supporters..there is still the one in the hands of the US government that cannot be ignored...

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?p=668250&posted=1#post668250

holy crap....:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom