• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doubledex said:
my god. What a whiny loser!
Just wow
Blu-Ray wins :D

I am seriously condering picking up a cheap hd player of some sort so that when Paramount and Universal do make the public switch I might have some class action lawsuit material. :lol
Such a sad interview

MechDX

Onix said:
I'm not sure I can stand wading through the stupidity over there.

Can someone please summarize on what grounds they are making anti-trust violation accusations?

BD.com was just as bad when Paramount jumped.:lol

Fanboy logic: "Ill sue their ass!!!!1!!1!"

Raistlin

MechDX said:
BD.com was just as bad when Paramount jumped.:lol

Fanboy logic: "Ill sue their ass!!!!1!!1!"

Yeah ... that's great.

I'm just wondering on what grounds anyone thought this was a viable suit?

Loudninja

bishoptl said:
That petition is awesome.

Yeah :lol

Thank you for contacting the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. The Citizen Complaint Center has reviewed your complaint, and we have forwarded it to the appropriate legal staff for further review. We have your information on file and should the legal staff need further information, they may contact you in the future.

We appreciate your interest in the enforcement of federal antitrust laws.

Sincerely,

Citizen Complaint Center

Antitrust Division

Department of Justice

Is the email that dude supposedly got

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=34027&page=38

Wow,it sounds like a generic response :lol

Oni Jazar

polyh3dron said:

Jesus what questions.

Nate Mook: Is this format war going to be decided by the Hollywood studios and the manufacturers, or can the consumers have a voice? Over 1 million HD DVD owners is not a small number, and those consumers clearly don't want the format to go anywhere.

NM: From a strictly consumer standpoint, HD DVD seems to make the most sense: players are cheaper, combination discs are possible, which enables a smooth transition. Blu-ray players are still in flux and current models except the PS3 won't be upgradable to Profile 2.0. Blu-ray is pitching players that will be obsolete in a year, and discs that lack the interactivity found on HD DVD. Why hasn't there been more of a marketing message on this from HD DVD?

*smacks head*

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
djkimothy said:
That petition is so childish it's beyond comprehension.

I'm not sure which is worse, the Universal guy, or the Petition :lol

They are both hilarious though!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
VictimOfGrief said:
BTW, where the FUCK is my Aliens on Blu-Ray Fox?
you mother bitches!!

Who cares? It would retail for $39.99 anyway, and I can't let that shit stand.

TAJ said:
Who cares? It would retail for $39.99 anyway, and I can't let that shit stand.

Wah.
If you pay retail then you get what you deserve.
Everyone loves to whine about the msrp but nobody pays it, it is just another bullet point.

hdmarketsdec07jan08.jpg

hdmarketsdjan081st2weeks.jpg

NO PS3 or 360 Add on. HD DVD loves to talk about "standalones"? Look at the numbers BEFORE the Warner announcement.

Okay... so the latest hardware sales data from market research firm NPD Group is in, and it reveals that - as one would expect - HD-DVD player sales have also been impacted by the news of Warner's decision to drop the format later this year. One quick note: The data that follows does NOT include sales of Sony's PlayStation 3 or the HD-DVD add-on drive for Microsoft's Xbox 360. These are stand-alone, set-top players only.

>>

Raistlin

djkimothy said:
OMG, those were stand alone sales? For NA?

Yes.

In the week after the announcement, standalone BD players sales doubled ... and HD-DVD players dropped off a cliff.

Some were previously arguing that the numbers were only related to a drop in HD-DVD sales ... nope, wrong answer.

Ponn

Banned
Paramount and Universal must be loving those numbers right now.

And some people think they are going to stick around HD-DVD for a year with those numbers.

Mifune

Mehmber
border said:
Uggggh, that interview is so full of snivelly brown-nosing and bitter tears that I couldn't read past page 1. Could they throw the guy anymore softballs?

"Warner backstabbed you!!!111"
"When will consumers have a voice??"

Yeah, I love that question, "So after Warner backstabbed you..."

By the way, those pie charts. Wow. That is domination.

Raistlin

nubbe said:
It's just plain shamefull for Toshiba to continue with this.
Save face and bow out.

Remember ... Toshiba is going to force CE's to include HD-DVD compatibility into their BD players :lol

Snah

Banned
Well guys, you can all thank me because I have personally translated the Ken Graffeo interview:

Interview: Universal EVP Ken Graffeo says HD DVD is here to stay
By Nate Mook, BetaNews
January 21, 2008, 4:40 PM

1328.jpg

NM: There was a lot of surprise when you canceled the CES press conference and meetings after Warner jumped ship. It appeared to many that you were simply giving up. Two weeks after the fact, do you regret canceling everything?

KG: It's very easy to look back and say "I could have" because you always know the result. But at the time... imagine the orchestration of a press event with the presenters, the scripts, the entire presentation, videos that were produced -- everything. The crew was already setting up and we were on a plane on Friday, so not being able to get back to everyone to say "how do we make a change for Sunday" was very difficult. And what are the answers? We had no idea because we were reading and hearing about Warner's move the same time everyone else was.

If we had our press event on Monday, it would have been different, but because it was right there on Sunday and we heard Friday afternoon we couldn't even get to everybody. If I had to go back, it was probably the right thing to do. The entire flow of the presentation would have had to been changed. When we found out at the last minute, we had to regroup and say "Toshiba, what are you doing?" and we didn't have any answers. I hate to stand in front of someone and say I don't have an answer, I don't know what's going on.

Here's what Toshiba is doing, Ken:

NM: Sony claims that the PS3 has given Blu-ray the market lead -- is this just posturing so Blu-ray can tout higher sales numbers? Is the PS3 really seen in Hollywood as a device that sells movies?

KG: I'll go back to what we've said over and over: the set-top player is the primary movie device. If you look at the attach rate of how many movies are bought for dedicated HD DVD players versus how many movies were sold for the PS3 and the Blu-ray set-top players combined, it's a 4 to 1 gap. Which says that people who own game machines are not buying at the same rate as someone who owns a set-top. And on the DVD side, your primary player is a set-top.

So since set-top boxes are so important, let's look at that trend for a moment:

Here you go, Ken:

If you go to a store -- let's say a Best Buy or a Circuit City -- and buy an HDTV and then you want to get your movies to look better, you go to the DVD section -- you don't go to the game section. We have always been believers, not only historically but looking at a lot of recent research that has been done, that for the consumer their preference is a set-top.

The one thing that's different now compared with VHS is that when you bought a DVD player, you could not play your VHS on it. People didn't really have libraries in the days of VHS, because movies were really rented -- 80% of the business was rental. Today it's different because both Blu-ray and HD DVD are backwards compatible, so you have to take that into consideration. In turn, people want a set-top player that lets them play their current movies just as they do now, not on a game console.

ORLY KEN?

hdmarketsdec07jan08.jpg

Shall I post another graph, Ken?

blu-ray-8515.jpg

NM: Price seems to be the major leverage HD DVD has, even with less studios than Blu-ray. Do you still believe other studios will come around if you sell enough players? This was the belief when we spoke to Microsoft's Kevin Collins 8 months ago.

KG: I can't speak for the other studios, because I don't know how they are thinking. But what was very encouraging is that when we were at CES we met with a lot of retailers. And the retailers openly said, that as much as they hate having two formats they are not making any changes, because they want to wait for what the consumer does. We've always said we want to follow the consumer.

Good idea, Ken!

Go and follow those consumers!

Consumers right now are buying upconverting players -- they are outselling the next-gen players combined by 10 to 1 every month. They are affordable because they are under $200 -- the average price is $85 -- and consumers want to see their movies better.

Hmm...

Wait a second Ken...

Why are you switching the subject? Why are you now talking about upconverting players?

Perhaps, Ken, that price isn't the only factor for the next-gen media formats? Perhaps the silly next-gen media battle was the reason why consumers didn't want to back HD-DVD given that Blu-Ray is the obvious victor.

You can lower the price as low as you want, but it's not going to increase demand for a dead product, Ken!

So pricing is very important.

Very, Ken, but at this stage, not the most important.

We saw that on DVD: as soon as price point went under $200 and as soon as it started getting close to $100 players really started taking off because you're hitting very consumer-friendly prices. If you want to hit the mass market, you have to be consumer-friendly in price. If you want to be a niche electronic, you're going to be high priced.

Good job Ken. That's why I can't wait to see Blu-Ray reach those prices.

Too bad HD-DVD never started taking off at those prices compared to $400 blu-ray players.

NM: From a strictly consumer standpoint, HD DVD seems to make the most sense: players are cheaper, combination discs are possible, which enables a smooth transition. Blu-ray players are still in flux and current models except the PS3 won't be upgradable to Profile 2.0. Blu-ray is pitching players that will be obsolete in a year, and discs that lack the interactivity found on HD DVD. Why hasn't there been more of a marketing message on this from HD DVD?

KG: The consumer today is very confused about HD.

Well, I would like to personally thank you, Ken, for adding to that confusion! You've done a swell job!

There's no more confusion though, so be happy Ken! Keep that head up.

^ That doesn't look too confusing, does it Ken?

Only 12% of all households are getting HD programming, but 35% of households have HDTVs. We have spent a lot of time, and will continue to try to educate the consumer because there's a lot of confusion on what this means. When you're watching a TV show and the logo says in high definition and you don't have your source for high definition, it further adds to the confusion. People don't understand this.

You've spent a lot of time Ken, but that time you've spent hasn't made the decision any clearer for consumers. You've wasted a lot of time, Ken.

People have a library of DVDs, people understand HD and know it looks better. But they're not thinking about it from a format perspective, they are thinking "I want my movies in high-def."

Yep. High-Def on Blu-Ray, not HD-DVD.

See this, Ken:

I think education has been very important and is something we have to continue doing. In Toshiba's recent press release, they said they will have an aggressive marketing campaign that will be launched very soon that will complement their new pricing strategy.

Is Toshiba going to launch an aggressive marketing campaign touting HD-DVD's death? Because, honestly Ken, that's a little unnecessary; the media is already doing that job for them.

Nicodimas

Banned
Some cool Shots of the Terminator 2 German Hd-dvd in action:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/imagion-ag-dynamichd-hd-dvd-demo-2/

To say the least I preordered it a fantastic representation of what extras can be like.

Bill hunt stuff huh? ok then.

Also if your Hd-dvd and want a couple of titles and take advantage of regionless check this out- it aint cheap, but deals can be had on certain ones.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010

oh yeah make sure it has your language before buying it..

HyperionX

DarkJediKnight said:
hdmarketsdec07jan08.jpg

NO PS3 or 360 Add on. HD DVD loves to talk about "standalones"? Look at the numbers BEFORE the Warner announcement.

Holy crap. Forget everything you've heard from the HD-DVD camp. Universal and Paramount are going to switch any week now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom