• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjdunn

avaya said:
1. Don't pick the opposite side from a Matsushita coalition.
QFT.

2. Don't trust Microsoft
Microsoft didn't get to the top playing it by the book. Divide and conquer, subterfuge and forced acquisitions are part of their ruthless business strategy. Microsoft is one of the best companies in the world to work for due to this reason. Frankly 'tis fucking wondrous how they go about their business.
Is this news? Seriously? They've been like this for two decades.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
That Matsushita coalition would've fell flat on its face if not for the PlayStation 3. Sony deserves the credit for the Blu Ray victory, not Panasonic.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
That Matsushita coalition would've fell flat on its face if not for the PlayStation 3. Sony deserves the credit for the Blu Ray victory, not Panasonic.
Agreed.

HD DVD would be on top now if it weren't for the PS3 and Sony's crazy gamble.

However, gamers don't buy movies according to Universal, so I'm confused... :)

Raistlin

dallow_bg said:
However, gamers don't buy movies according to Universal, so I'm confused... :)

According to Ken Graffeo, not Universal.

I'm quite sure the rest of Universal is busy preparing 3 things:

1) BD title selection, production, and release schedule

2) Preparation for HD-DVD, Operation: Bail Out

3) Pink slip for Krazy Kenny

:p

Just got an email from Amazon, all new HD-DVD releases are at least 30% off... is that standard for Amazon, or are we looking at clearance prices here?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
VanMardigan said:

1KenKutaragi.jpg

:(...

Luckyman

Banned
http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Real hardware numbers..

Here's how the January Week 1 unit sales looked for each format (week ending 1/5)...

Blu-ray Disc - 15,257 units
HD-DVD - 14,558 units

That was prior to the Warner announcement, which came on 1/4. Now here's how the January Week 2 unit sales data for each format looked AFTER the announcement (for the week ending 1/12)...

Blu-ray Disc - 21,770 units
HD-DVD - 1,758 units

michaeld

Banned
I caught a 5 minute preview of the new Harry Potter on DISH HD PPV and damn it looked good. It stopped right when I was wanting to say more, now I have to get the previous movies and watch them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/636/rock.html

Rock review.

I just watched Pursuit of Happyness, much better than I though it would be.

Also, my local BB used to have a HD-DVD set up right as you walked into the store playing Shrek 3.

They've removed that and replaced it with a Blu-Ray setup playing High School Musical 2. I put a suggestion for a suicide booth to be installed next to it.

Onix said:
According to Ken Graffeo, not Universal.

I'm quite sure the rest of Universal is busy preparing 3 things:

1) BD title selection, production, and release schedule

2) Preparation for HD-DVD, Operation: Bail Out

3) Pink slip for Krazy Kenny

:p

Given that they are probaly contractually linked to hd dvd doesnt he have to tow the line?

djkimothy

ManaByte said:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/636/rock.html

Rock review.

I just watched Pursuit of Happyness, much better than I though it would be.

Also, my local BB used to have a HD-DVD set up right as you walked into the store playing Shrek 3.

They've removed that and replaced it with a Blu-Ray setup playing High School Musical 2. I put a suggestion for a suicide booth to be installed next to it.

Sweet, The Rock is a definite must buy then.

Nicodimas

Banned
Taken from Engadget:

According to IMDB these exclusive companies have the US distribution rights to the following number of movies:

Universal - 5331
Paramoun - 5753
Dreamworks - 95
Weinstein - 183

Total 11362 films

20th Century Fox - 755
SOny Pictures - 419
Disney Buena Vista - 727
MGM - 3639
Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
Warner Brothers - 4623

Total: 14783

Grand Total of all movies from these companies: 26145
11362/26145 = 43%

Meaning HD DVD has 43% of all catalog titles available for potential release on it's format. It's completely laughable to hear that BDA has 80% of the major studios. Who cares when Fox/Sony/Buena Vista/Disney all acount for less than 2000 movies. That's not even half of Universal's back catalog.

With HD Players low cost to enter the format and plenty of potential titles. This war really is not that close to finishing yet!

Snah

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Taken from Engadget:

According to IMDB these exclusive companies have the US distribution rights to the following number of movies:

Universal - 5331
Paramoun - 5753
Dreamworks - 95
Weinstein - 183

Total 11362 films

20th Century Fox - 755
SOny Pictures - 419
Disney Buena Vista - 727
MGM - 3639
Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
Warner Brothers - 4623

11362/26145 = 43%

Meaning HD DVD has 43% of all catalog titles available for potential release on it's format. It's completely laughable to hear that BDA has 80% of the major studios. Who cares when Fox/Sony/Buena Vista/Disney all acount for less than 2000 movies. That's not even half of Universal's back catalog.

With HD Players low cost to enter the format and plenty of potential titles. This war really is not that close to finishing yet!

Catalog titles don't mean diddly squat.

New releases are what matter going forward.

But, nice HD-DVDamage control.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Taken from Engadget:

Universal - 5331
Paramoun - 5753
Dreamworks - 95
Weinstein - 183

Total 11362 films

20th Century Fox - 755
SOny Pictures - 419
Disney Buena Vista - 727
MGM - 3639
Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
Warner Brothers - 4623

11362/26145 = 43%

Seriously ... you're kidding ... right?

Zen

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Taken from Engadget:

Universal - 5331
Paramoun - 5753
Dreamworks - 95
Weinstein - 183

Total 11362 films

20th Century Fox - 755
SOny Pictures - 419
Disney Buena Vista - 727
MGM - 3639
Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
Warner Brothers - 4623

11362/26145 = 43%

Dude. :lol

Nicodimas said:
Taken from Engadget:

Universal - 5331
Paramoun - 5753
Dreamworks - 95
Weinstein - 183

Total 11362 films

20th Century Fox - 755
SOny Pictures - 419
Disney Buena Vista - 727
MGM - 3639
Columbia/Tri Star - 4323
Warner Brothers - 4623

11362/26145 = 43%

If that is accurate no time like the present to start releasing some movies for universal and Paramount. If they truly want to keep HD DVD alive start hitting the market with everthing you got back catalog wise to make a impressive showing in hte face of poor studio support.

Where is the big back catalog films at least?

I dropped HD DVD, I think the writing is on the wall at this point. WB releases most of the movies I like followed by Universal and Paramount so I hope they drop their support of HD soon. I'd rather have one HDM than none. Everyone knew having two formats was a bad thing.

border

Nicodimas said:
To the credit of the HD-DVD clingers, this is probably the most convincing FUD they've put out since the bomb dropped. Unfortunately all those numbers you posted are somewhat overshadowed by today's other numbers:

Blu-ray Disc - 21,770 units
HD-DVD - 1,758 units

Snah said:
Catalog titles don't mean diddly squat.

New releases are what matter going forward.

But, nice HD-DVDamage control.

I dont like agreeing with Snah but hes right. Only a few catalog titles will sell well. Try telling people that they need to rebuy something like its a wonderful life or the sting. Great movies but they arent going to be the reason people get HD releases. Its stuff like 300 and transformers. If you want proof look at the sales charts I doubt many releases over 5 years old have done that well.

Snah

Banned
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=61803

I would like to state that we have 20+ titles that will be released this year. We will continue to support the format. We would like to thank all of the AVS forum members for their support in 2007 and we look forward to their continued support in 2008.

Having worked at WHV for 5 years I know that employee turnover rates are very high. Watch for a complete reversal on their stance within 3 weeks. The group of WHV execs who have authorized these exclusivity statements will most likely be moving on soon. It appears that they overstepped their bounds in releasing the statement last week.

Thank you AVS!

Jason Gilbert
HD Post Consulting
Http://www.HDPostConsulting.com

:lol :lol :lol

This is getting pathetic.

How can you be so diehard into hd-dvd to do stupid shit like post fake rumors and make dumbass online petitions? I really think most of this stuff is started up by the console fanboys who are like 14 or 15...These people act like Sony killed their mother or something. Just accept that you invested in a losing format(that's if these guys even own hd-dvd players) and move on.

Laurent

Snah said:
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=61803

I would like to state that we have 20+ titles that will be released this year. We will continue to support the format. We would like to thank all of the AVS forum members for their support in 2007 and we look forward to their continued support in 2008.

Having worked at WHV for 5 years I know that employee turnover rates are very high. Watch for a complete reversal on their stance within 3 weeks. The group of WHV execs who have authorized these exclusivity statements will most likely be moving on soon. It appears that they overstepped their bounds in releasing the statement last week.

Thank you AVS!

Jason Gilbert
HD Post Consulting
Http://www.HDPostConsulting.com

:lol :lol :lol

This is getting pathetic.
Yeah, I call bullshit on that...

Nicodimas said:
If you wanted to get into Hd-dvd:

Here is your chance:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat141400050177

There is 20% Reward Zone Coupon going out for blu/hd players apparently.

160:A-30, 120:A-3 - with 9 free movies. Preety cool stuff.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/produc...hibe-hd-dvd-prices_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=982080
there is never a 20% coupon at BB. 10/12 yeah but never 20. though if you want to provide a link...?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
I picked up Saw IV, haven't had a chance to play with it or the blog thing but will when I get home and see how it is.

bu bu special features are a gimmick!!!

Is the Ps3 going to be able to do the blog thing? I read on HDDigest that the feature wasn't available on any hardware and they couldn't test it, which is odd considering the Ps3 has internet connection.

And the PiP stuff on Shoot 'em Up is a damn joke. Not only is it a colossal waste of disc space, but it's garbage. I understand now when some BD-only folks were complaining about PiP being nothing but talking heads taking up a large portion of the screen. Folks, that's not it, and I urge you to wait until Matrix, Batman Begins, or the double dip 300 etc. to really see what is possible with in-context PiP that is unobtrusive, can be turned on/off instantaneously, and has actually good and relevant content rather than a video commentary.

If Uni and Para switch in June as well, Transformers and stuff like Kingdom of Heaven put that New Line stuff to shame.

VanMardigan said:

Is the Ps3 going to be able to do the blog thing? I read on HDDigest that the feature wasn't available on any hardware and they couldn't test it, which is odd considering the Ps3 has internet connection.

And the PiP stuff on Shoot 'em Up is a damn joke. Not only is it a colossal waste of disc space, but it's garbage. I understand now when some BD-only folks were complaining about PiP being nothing but talking heads taking up a large portion of the screen. Folks, that's not it, and I urge you to wait until Matrix, Batman Begins, or the double dip 300 etc. to really see what is possible with in-context PiP that is unobtrusive, can be turned on/off instantaneously, and has actually good and relevant content rather than a video commentary.

If Uni and Para switch in June as well, Transformers and stuff like Kingdom of Heaven put that New Line stuff to shame.

Did I say that it was good?
Did I say that I give a flying fuck about it?
I was going to give it a look and post thought on it, because I know that most here won't pick up Saw movies but as usual Van has to come back into the thread like some butt hurt little girl with a skinned knee spouting his sarcasm under the banner of "but I have a ps3 and I am blu now too ha ha ha".
If it makes you feel better I have never watched the pip on shoot em up or on res evil or any other movie yet because I genuinely do not give a crap about it.
But now I will not even bother.
Cheers.

Ponn

Banned

Mifune

Mehmber
VanMardigan said:

What do you think of the Disney PiP stuff in say Ratatouille? Is the HD-DVD PiP much better than that? If so, I'm a proud BD supporter who is not ashamed to admit that I'm excited.

Firmware 2.8 is up for 2nd Gen HD DVD players.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

Firmware Update Version: 2.8

Applicable Models: HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for 1080p/24Hz OUTPUT and auto mode(for HD-A20 and HD-XA2), improves network connectivity supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba. In addition, this firmware update provides High Bit Rate Audio functionality for the HD-XA2 player. When integrated through the HDMI connection to a 7.1 capable multi-channel A/V receiver, High Bit Rate Audio has the potential to offer the latest in high definition surround sound.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update adds support for 1080p/24Hz output and auto mode to the HD-A20 and HD-XA2 players. For the HD-A2, HD-A2W, HD-D2, HD-A20 and HD-XA2 players, it adds more on-screen language display options. In addition, this firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Just a little note: After the firmware update, re-initialize the player to avoid any playback problems on certain titles.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:

I thought Shoot Em Up was 1.0 with fake PiP.

RE3 is 1.1 with the instant on/off PiP
However, you can tell it's early, like the early HD DVD PiP stuff.

Raistlin

The Main Event said:
Firmware 2.8 is up for 2nd Gen HD DVD players.

http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp

Firmware Update Version: 2.8

Applicable Models: HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2.

Overview: As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models listed above. This firmware update improves support for 1080p/24Hz OUTPUT and auto mode(for HD-A20 and HD-XA2), improves network connectivity supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba. In addition, this firmware update provides High Bit Rate Audio functionality for the HD-XA2 player. When integrated through the HDMI connection to a 7.1 capable multi-channel A/V receiver, High Bit Rate Audio has the potential to offer the latest in high definition surround sound.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update adds support for 1080p/24Hz output and auto mode to the HD-A20 and HD-XA2 players. For the HD-A2, HD-A2W, HD-D2, HD-A20 and HD-XA2 players, it adds more on-screen language display options. In addition, this firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Just a little note: After the firmware update, re-initialize the player to avoid any playback problems on certain titles.

Can someone explain the bolded part to me? Exactly what is 'high bit-rate audio functionality'?

Onix said:
Can someone explain the bolded part to me? Exactly what is 'high bit-rate audio functionality'?

It's just the player now capable of sending the bitstream for TrueHD and DTS-HD MA. But it was already there in the 2.7 update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom