• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

herod said:
I just got mad about this exact same thing on my T2 box today. Really lame.

Anyone know where you can get replacement Blu-ray cases in the UK?

I know where I can get replacement cases in Germany but those are in the FOX form factor (Amaray) and not like the ones from Lionsgate. That's another thing about Blu-ray, use one fucking case size and be done with it! Preferably the Amaray ones, they are as thick as the PS3 and DVD ones and seem to be way more reliable.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
On some of my BD's, a sticker was over the BD logo at the top of the case, and removing the sticker took some of the paint from the logo. :(

Other times, I inadvertently rip the clear plastic or it gets warped.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:
On some of my BD's, a sticker was over the BD logo at the top of the case, and removing the sticker took some of the paint from the logo. :(

Yup, that happened to me for one of my titles. I had just recently picked up 10 empty Blu-ray cases, though, so I replaced it.

I know it's a small thing, but it's really ticking me off that there are two different kinds of Blu-ray (and maybe HD-DVD?) cases going around, and neither seems to be the standard. Seriously, how hard is it to decide on one standard case? I'm more a fan of the kind with the locking tab than I am with the more rounded case, but hey, either way just pick one and stick with it!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
shidoshi said:
Yup, that happened to me for one of my titles. I had just recently picked up 10 empty Blu-ray cases, though, so I replaced it.

I know it's a small thing, but it's really ticking me off that there are two different kinds of Blu-ray (and maybe HD-DVD?) cases going around, and neither seems to be the standard. Seriously, how hard is it to decide on one standard case? I'm more a fan of the kind with the locking tab than I am with the more rounded case, but hey, either way just pick one and stick with it!

There are two HDDVD ones..

one with the locking tab and the little nubby feet thingys and then the smooth one without the locking tab. It bugs me too. I figure once BRD becomes standard we will stop seeing the "standard" case pretty soon, and we'll start getting weird cases in every color of the rainbow. Also, all box sets shouldcome in the Planet Earth/Bladrunner style gigantic normal box.

Plus, all of these are 10000000x better than the old DVD cases with the paper flap.

mollipen

StoOgE said:
Plus, all of these are 10000000x better than the old DVD cases with the paper flap.

God, the early days of DVD were terrible.

There were your typical DVD cases (which, of course, there are actually a few different ones), there were those horrible Warner Bros. ones that you mentioned (that were just waiting to get ruined), there were those wacky plastic ones that had a sliding drawer that came out of the bottom (I remember getting the original release of Fargo in one of those), and then you had folks like Pioneer that were just using CD jewel cases stuck into the bottom of a cardboard sleeve.

Those are the ones I can remember. No doubt there was probably some other wacky type floating around out there.

VanMardigan said:
I know you're not naive enough that you've never read the Sony spin on NPD's month after month
What is this spin you are referring to? I'm guessing you are going to refer to the time where Sony announced that more BD standalones were sold than HD DVD standalones in a 3 week period which was completely true. Toshiba released a statement after this saying that they still led in YTD standalones sales and worded it like they were shooting down Sony's lies when in reality they were not.

I'd say Toshiba was the one doing the spinning in that case.

And Sony didn't have to do anything at all to spin the VideoScan weekly reports.

jjasper

I think he is talking about Sony's overly optimistic PR reports after PS3 sales are found to be 2-3x behind the competition each month.

Lionsgate seems to be the ONLY company that puts those annoying stickers on all sides of their BD cases. EVERY TIME I try to get these stickers off it leaves a horrible residue on the case that I have to use Goo Gone on to get it off. Isn't this pissing anyone else off?

jjasper said:
I think he is talking about Sony's overly optimistic PR reports after PS3 sales are found to be 2-3x behind the competition each month.

Like when they say they are up from the previous month or when they say that they have sold more at this point in the PS3s life span with the competition of the 360 and wii than the 360 did with no competition?
Spin? Maybe, but also quite true.

Laurent

polyh3dron said:
Lionsgate seems to be the ONLY company that puts those annoying stickers on all sides of their BD cases. EVERY TIME I try to get these stickers off it leaves a horrible residue on the case that I have to use Goo Gone on to get it off. Isn't this pissing anyone else off?
Solution: WD-40...

And I only got 1 sticker to remove from my Terminator 2 BRD, the only Lionsgate movie I own for the moment...

Xater

polyh3dron said:

That's exactly what my problem was. :lol

Hence my post on he previous page. But you americans have those dumb stickers on everything it's horrible.

Kolgar

OokieSpookie said:
Like when they say they are up from the previous month or when they say that they have sold more at this point in the PS3s life span with the competition of the 360 and wii than the 360 did with no competition?
Spin? Maybe, but also quite true.

And that's pretty much what PR is. A selective presentation of the facts.

My bullshit detector is pretty sensitive and yet I don't really have a problem with anything Ken Graffeo has said. He's doing his job, positioning things in the best light he can, which is what he's paid to do. (He's head of the HD DVD Promotions Group, after all.)

I actually think Ken's brand of PR has always been relatively benign anyway. Sure, it sounds deluded now to hear him talk about "consumer choice" given the hard data of the sales numbers, but I don't think he's got a lot to work with at the moment and you have to admit, running PR for HD DVD right now has got to be one hell of a challenge. (I know I wouldn't want to do it.)

I have more of a problem with audacious PR that makes brash statements and comes off as arrogant. Even when you're winning, you never want to make your company or your product appear to be the work of assholes. Some humility, even feigned, is always nice.

I guess at the end of the day, we all have the most problems with the PR that comes from the opposite side from where we ourselves stand, but that is human nature. And the fact is that PR as a function will never go away, as it is an absolutely essential part of any marketing program. Or political campaign, hehe.

We're stuck with it until the asteroid hits, at least.

I expect Ken to use the same "consumer choice" message when Universal eventually goes Blu-ray. Clearly, they see the writing on the wall but they have no choice but to tow the company line until their transition plans are complete and they're ready to announce a change.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
Besides, I wan to know if those features actually work on Ps3, since HDDigest said the Ps3 wasn't 2.0 and wouldn't play them.

It is not 2.0 currently, but it is going to be updated for it (its 1.1 now). The conventional wisdom as to why it isn't? Sony is making a concession to the BDA CE's ... and will hold off adding 2.0 and DTS-MA decoding until some standalones are released.

Costanza

Banned
I have 100 bucks Walmart credit that I really wanna use on BR movies but with their limited selection I really can't decide.. basically I can choose from Die Hard Collection (but the first 3 don't look very good), Harry Potter 1-5 (hate 1, 2, and, 4 but I want the whole set if I'm gonna buy any), or Prison Break season 1 (love the show, but I've seen it before and it seems pretty sparse on bonus features) + Close Encounters (never seen it).

what do you guys suggest?

Raistlin

dallow_bg said:
Bye bye Sammy combo player.
The newer one announced at CES is cancelled too it seems?

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=885

There goes Toshiba's 'plan'

Beyond being expensive to begin with, the only viable combo reference design (Broadcom BCM97440) appears to have a ton of bugs.

It is over.

VanMardigan said:
It seems like Samsung couldn't get it working. I'm guessing the Fox security crap and Samsung not wanting to license HDi had something to do with it?

I know stooge said they fixed some issues, but did they get everything?

Did you read the link? It isn't Samsung having problems, its Broadcom.

Xater said:
That's exactly what my problem was. :lol

Hence my post on he previous page. But you americans have those dumb stickers on everything it's horrible.
No, they're only on the Lionsgate and Paramount BDs. Only other one I had to deal with them on was Donnie Brasco, a Sony/TriStar release.

Gary Whitta said:
Fair enough. Might as well release a combo BD/Laserdisc player at this point.
Oh come on there are a whole bunch of HD DVDs that will take forever to come out on BD even when Par and Uni go Blu.

I would have bought a fully functional combo player with BD-J 1.1 and HDi along with TrueHD and DTS-MA decoding in a heartbeat.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Onix said:
Did you read the link? It isn't Samsung having problems, its Broadcom.

That was engadget's speculation. But what is the Broadcom stuff that's supposedly messing up the LG and this unit? Is that the chipset? software?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
jjasper said:
Twister and Bonnie & Clyde were never not coming to HD DVD. If this is true all it means is that Twister will not be the last HD DVD Warner puts out.
They've been announced for months on both formats....

What do you mean?

easy security sticker fix: buy a box knife. Cut along the seam in the case to split the sticker in half and then peel from the inside. It'll come off a lot cleaner than if you try to pry the sticker off with a fingernail or something.

and there are PS3 size blu-ray cases? interesting. I thought they were all the same thickness.

jjasper

dallow_bg said:
They've been announced for months on both formats....

What do you mean?

Article in the link is trying to say because of this 3 week extension (if it is real) Twister and Bonnie & Clyde will come to HD DVD as if they weren't before.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
That was engadget's speculation. But what is the Broadcom stuff that's supposedly messing up the LG and this unit? Is that the chipset? software?

In case you weren't aware, few companies actually really 'make' players.

For example, most DVD manufacturers don't actually design the players from scratch. They either OEM a reference platform (the whole shebang), or OEM the transport (drive, laser assembly, etc.) and then OEM the needed chipsets (MPEG decoder, deinterlacer/scaler, HDMI controller, etc). They then design the control software, user interface, physical design, etc. Depending on the player, there are other things they may change or add (DACs, OpAmps, timing chips, etc.). Obviously internal layout, wiring, is also going to be up to them if they are not using a full reference platform (or they may take that, and make some mods).

To a certain extent, think of it like a PC. Dell, etc. do not actually create the parts, they assemble other companies' parts. Only in this case, its more like a kit they are modifying ... its even less 'from the ground, up'.

Now in the case of a HD-DVD/BD combo player, there is only one production OEM available to my knowledge - the Broadcom BCM97440, which is a full turn-key reference platform http://www.broadcom.com/products/Consumer-Electronics/Blu-ray-and-HD-DVD-System-Solutions/BCM97440

There is nothing wrong with the transport/laser assembly in it ... the issue is the Broadcom BCM7440 SoC (only available 'single chip' processor for both HD-DVD and BD). Obviously it has problems handling all of the features.

Anyway, the BCM97440 is the only available combo solution at this time ... and its not like Samsung, LG, etc. have the ability to create their own ... and they can't just use Broadcom's transport/laser assembly, since there aren't any separate OEM 'combo' processors to use with it.

Burai

shitonmychest57
polyh3dron said:
Oh come on there are a whole bunch of HD DVDs that will take forever to come out on BD even when Par and Uni go Blu.

Forever? I doubt that very much. Both studios are most likely already working on Blu ray and getting ready for the switch. Nobody is going to get caught out. It's just a waiting game now.

They'll stagger their releases for sure to save flooding the market, but they can't afford to wait too long without significant retail presence on Blu.

I keep wondering why people are making a big deal out of the 3 week warner thing.
Warner said from the switch that they would be supporting hd still through May which is exactly the way it is.
May first or three weeks later, it is still just May and then nothing.
ZOMG THE PETITIONS AM WORKING!!!

Raistlin

border said:
It might appeal to the people who bought a bunch of movies and then found out the format died a few weeks ago?

Until a better reference platform is designed ... I'd recommend separate players.

And even if a better platform comes out (which is questionable), it is unlikely to ever be cost competative with purchasing separate standalones. The incentive just doesn't seem to be there for major R&D, and the lack of CE adoption will really hurt fab improvements.

jjasper

border said:
It might appeal to the people who bought a bunch of movies and then found out the format died a few weeks ago?

Yeah I definitely think there is a small market for combo players in 2008/09, since Samsung is backing away it looks like it will most likely be Toshiba's market though.

Release dates for good movies:

We've confirmed with Buena Vista that Joel and Ethan Coen's No Country for Old Men will street on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on 3/11. Watch for the official announcement in the next couple of days.

Meanwhile, industry sources are telling us to expect 20th Century Fox's Juno on DVD and Blu-ray in late March or early April. We anticipate official details soon.

And Warner will release Michael Clayton on DVD and Blu-ray on 2/19, with the HD-DVD version following on 3/11.

jjasper said:
Article in the link is trying to say because of this 3 week extension (if it is real) Twister and Bonnie & Clyde will come to HD DVD as if they weren't before.

They were the whole time.
Hd digest even had pics of both versions of B&C a month or so ago.

C4Lukins

Mrbob said:
Well, there really isn't any reason to produce a combo player anymore.

If HDDVD is able to manage to stay on life support for another year, I would probably get one at that time. It is a much cheaper solution for me then rebuying all of the HDDVD films I already have on BR, and it would be nice to have another player for the bedroom.

Oni Jazar

OokieSpookie said:
I keep wondering why people are making a big deal out of the 3 week warner thing.
Warner said from the switch that they would be supporting hd still through May which is exactly the way it is.
May first or three weeks later, it is still just May and then nothing.
ZOMG THE PETITIONS AM WORKING!!!

For every one thousand signatures they get one extra week. :)

Raistlin

C4Lukins said:
If HDDVD is able to manage to stay on life support for another year, I would probably get one at that time. It is a much cheaper solution for me then rebuying all of the HDDVD films I already have on BR, and it would be nice to have another player for the bedroom.

The problem is, it will be cheaper to get a standalone as well ... and that will likely give you better features/compatibility.

C4Lukins

Onix said:
The problem is, it will be cheaper to get a standalone as well ... and that will likely give you better features/compatibility.

It would just be a matter of convenience for the bedroom, which I typically only put movies on to go to sleep. For the living room I will just continue to use the 360 HDDVD addon and PS3 until individual players become cheaper.

Raistlin

C4Lukins said:
It would just be a matter of convenience for the bedroom, which I typically only put movies on to go to sleep. For the living room I will just continue to use the 360 HDDVD addon and PS3 until individual players become cheaper.

Oh, I understand. There is probably a small market that is willing to pay extra for the convenience.

I'm simply stating that likelihood that it WILL cost more, and will also likely involve compatibility/feature issues.

maharg

idspispopd
bune duggy said:
If they can release Juno (A fox Searchlight film) on BRD they can release the Broken Lizard movies too, dammit.

Juno made $85mil in theaters. It's not exactly a typical Fox Searchlight film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom