• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bune duggy said:
If they can release Juno (A fox Searchlight film) on BRD they can release the Broken Lizard movies too, dammit.
First they have to put out Once and The Darjeeling Limited. What ignoramus at Fox deemed these titles unworthy of the BD treatment?

RaidenZR

polyh3dron said:
First they have to put out Once and The Darjeeling Limited. What ignoramus at Fox deemed these titles unworthy of the BD treatment?

Fox has Darjeeling? What the heck? Why announce a DVD these days and no HD counterpart?

polyh3dron said:

More independant films on HD. The majority of movies that I will want this year are "independant" movies. Into the wild, Jesse James, No country, There will be blood, Juno, Lust Caution, Once, Darjeeling, Waitress ect ect.

If the only movies i can get in HD are blockbusters then I wont get many HD movies at all.

Raistlin

favouriteflavour said:
More independant films on HD. The majority of movies that I will want this year are "independant" movies. Into the wild, Jesse James, No country, There will be blood, Juno, Lust Caution, Once, Darjeeling, Waitress ect ect.

If the only movies i can get in HD are blockbusters then I wont get many HD movies at all.

It would appear that these sorts of movies are in fact going to BD. Basically, if it received a lot of press, and/or some awards ... it will likely show up, regardless of whether its 'indy' or not.

As for older releases, lets just hope Criterion hurries the hell up with the move to HDM ... and makes wise title selections.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Can anyone recommend a good site (or give their own breakdown) on the various codecs and sound codecs that these discs use, and which ones are the best to the worst?

I pretty much understand avc, mpeg4 and the visual codecs, but the audio ones are completely foreign. I know TrueHD is one of the better ones (lossless) but my receiver doesn't decode it, I want to make sure I'm using the best sound my receiver can handle.

I checked Wikipedia but I couldn't find a good comparison page, and a lot of the talk was immediately over my head tech-wise. Is there a good beginner site?

Seems that the most obvious discs primed for double dip are discs without lossless sound options, so I'd like to avoid those as I finish rounding out my hd-dvd collection and begin buying blurays.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
DJ_Tet said:
Can anyone recommend a good site (or give their own breakdown) on the various codecs and sound codecs that these discs use, and which ones are the best to the worst?

I pretty much understand avc, mpeg4 and the visual codecs, but the audio ones are completely foreign. I know TrueHD is one of the better ones (lossless) but my receiver doesn't decode it, I want to make sure I'm using the best sound my receiver can handle.

I checked Wikipedia but I couldn't find a good comparison page, and a lot of the talk was immediately over my head tech-wise. Is there a good beginner site?

Seems that the most obvious discs primed for double dip are discs without lossless sound options, so I'd like to avoid those as I finish rounding out my hd-dvd collection and begin buying blurays.

Audio codecs-

1) PCM, Dolbly TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA are all lossless. More or less going to have the same quality. You can get a player that will internally decode TrueHD (and soon they will be out that internally decode DTS-HD MA) and send it via PCM. In this situation, any HDMI reciever that accepts audio via HDMI will work for you. Some players have analog outs that will let older recievers recieve lossless PCM via 5.1 analog outs. You cant use optical out and get these formats. They will be downconverted to DD5.1 or core DTS depending on the player. You can get 2.0 PCM via analog.. so if you like stereo sound...

2) Dolby DD+ and DTS-HD-HR are both lossy, next gen formats. Much better than DTS or DD 5.1. DD+ may pretty much die off with HDDVD, it had much better traction on HDDVD than it did BRD. DTS-HD-HR isnt used too often either. However, some movies only say that they have DTS-HD which means it could be either the MA or HR codec. I wish DTS had used better naming for its new codecs.

3) DTS and D

DJ_Tet

Banned
StoOgE said:
Audio codecs-

1) PCM, Dolbly TrueHD, and DTS-HD MA are all lossless. More or less going to have the same quality. You can get a player that will internally decode TrueHD (and soon they will be out that internally decode DTS-HD MA) and send it via PCM. In this situation, any HDMI reciever that accepts audio via HDMI will work for you. Some players have analog outs that will let older recievers recieve lossless PCM via 5.1 analog outs. You cant use optical out and get these formats. They will be downconverted to DD5.1 or core DTS depending on the player. You can get 2.0 PCM via analog.. so if you like stereo sound...

2) Dolby DD+ and DTS-HD-HR are both lossy, next gen formats. Much better than DTS or DD 5.1. DD+ may pretty much die off with HDDVD, it had much better traction on HDDVD than it did BRD. DTS-HD-HR isnt used too often either. However, some movies only say that they have DTS-HD which means it could be either the MA or HR codec. I wish DTS had used better naming for its new codecs.

3) DTS and D

Great, thanks for that quick breakdown.

So, the only way to get lossless audio is through hdmi?

What about Dolby DD+ (this is what Transformers has iirc?) and DTS-HD-HR, do those require hdmi as well?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DJ_Tet said:

What about Dolby DD+ (this is what Transformers has iirc?) and DTS-HD-HR, do those require hdmi as well?

Through optical, you're limited to DD 5.1 (including EX) and DTS 5.1 (including ES). None of the fancy stuff.

Oni Jazar

Ignatz Mouse said:
I am guessing, based on that and all the news, that we see Pac-Mac's mouth closed more than ever before.

90:10 anyone?

Depends. Last time there was the Amazon BD Bogo that helped tip the scales. Then again the Warner news is still spreading so it can go either way IMO.

StoOgE

DJ_Tet said:

You will either need the player to decode them to PCM and send them out via HDMI or 5.1 analog outs, or you will need a player that can bitstream them encoded via HDMI to a reciever that can decode them (like the new Onkyo's).

Otherwise, they will be sent as good ole DD5.1 or DTS.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
stooge,
I have a question about DD +:
How is it handled by the reciever. I know TrueHD is sent out as a PCM stream, but how is DD + sent out? And how is it shown on the receiver? Since it's "new", what would a receiver display, DD 5.1? What are the indications that you're not playing a typical DD 5.1 stream?

Also, to onix, djk and all the other audio guys:

I'm thinking of picking up an HDMI receiver, but not one that can decode the formats. I can save about $200 if I just pick one that can do 5.1 PCM through HDMI and let the players (Ps3 and an HD DVD standalone) do the decoding. Is that a good route, or do I want my receivers to do the decoding?

VanMardigan said:
stooge,
How is it handled by the reciever. I know TrueHD is sent out as a PCM stream, but how is DD + sent out? And how is it shown on the receiver? Since it's "new", what would a receiver display, DD 5.1? What are the indications that you're not playing a typical DD 5.1 stream?

I'm thinking of picking up an HDMI receiver, but not one that can decode the formats. I can save about $200 if I just pick one that can do 5.1 PCM through HDMI and let the players (Ps3 and an HD DVD standalone) do the decoding. Is that a good route, or do I want my receivers to do the decoding?

For DD+, you need HDMI - period. To decode DD+ in the receiver, you need a 1.3 receiver. Then it'll say "DDIGITAL PLUS"

At this point, I'd seriously look at HDMI 1.3 receivers with the codecs. This is because I'm hearing multiple issues with bass management when the new codecs (at least True HD) is decoded in the player and sent as PCM. Many of the lower cost HDMI receivers are missing the 10 dbl Bass boost on incoming PCM streams - that the receiver compensates on Dolby and DTS tracks. Ie. All Dolby tracks are mastered with -10dbl LFE, and the receiver does that for you.

It seems, the HDMI 1.3 receivers with the codecs don't have this issue: whether you decode in player or bitstream.

Ones I'd look at, including a few HDMI 1.2 models: Onkyo 605, 705, 805. Denon 2308, 2808. Yamaha V661, V861, V1800

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:

Many people have gone down that route. As long as your player decodes the formats you need, you'll be okay for the most part.

There are some issues with how receivers process multi-channel PCM however. Many receivers have screwed up bass management, and many have problems overlaying DPLIIx, etc. to derive 6/7 channels.

Another thing to consider is that your TV may get replaced before your receiver. Its possible that HDMI 1.3 features will be important ... so I would advise getting a receiver that supports HDMI 1.3 (even if it doesn't have the new codecs). That way, at least you'll be able to properly pass HDMI 1.3 metadata.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
stooge,

DD+ is either decoded to PCM by the player or bitstreamed like the other formats.

Save the money and just get an HDMI 1.1 receiver for LPCM.
However the Onkyo 605 isn't that much anyway and is 1.3.

It's supposed to be identical whether the receiver decodes it or not.
People claim it's better in the receiver, but you'd need HQ reference speakers to even begin to claim that.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
For DD+, you need HDMI - period.

I knew that, my question was about how the receiver interpreted the signal. In other words, if there was any indication at all that you were listening to DD + instead of regular DD.

Thanks for the rest of the advice.

Save the money and just get an HDMI 1.1 receiver for LPCM.

That's what I want to do. Any receivers you'd recommend that also pass through a 1080p signal? I know grkewy bought a Sony not too long ago, but I don't remember what the model was.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Oni Jazar said:
Depends. Last time there was the Amazon BD Bogo that helped tip the scales. Then again the Warner news is still spreading so it can go either way IMO.

nah I think if anything sales will pick up for HD-DVD. The first week of the WB announcement was mayhem, with rumors flying about paramount and universal goin neutral within the week. Just like when paramount went HD-DVD only, everyone said it was over for blu-ray, no way it would win, it would either lose or end up a permanent draw. I hope though it stays on the blu side of things like right now, so this war can end even faster.... maybe even drawing paramount and universal over.

StoOgE

dallow_bg said:
It should show DD+ I believe if you can bitstream it.

If the player is decoding it, it will show DD+.

If the player decodes it, it will send it via PCM, which can be sent via HDMI or multi channel analog outs, again depending on the player and reciever set up.

Bass management on these things is a tricky subject. Not all recievers handle it properly, and neither do all players.

Sorry if this was answered before... I have an old receiver that only does regular DD, DTS, and DPLII but none of the new formats. What do I get when I select the lossless PCM track on a bluray disc and send it to my receiver via optical? I only tested this with 2001: A Space Odyssey blu-ray, the receiver indicated that it's receiving a PCM signal and all speakers were working... Does that mean I was effectively getting original signal without downgrading?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I forgot what the 1.1 Onkyo receiver was that is pretty cheap now that the 605 has replaced it.

It was going for ~$200 on ebay at one point.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Naked Snake said:
Sorry if this was answered before... I have an old receiver that only does regular DD, DTS, and DPLII but none of the new formats. What do I get when I select the lossless PCM track on a bluray disc and send it to my receiver via optical? I only tested this with 2001: A Space Odyssey blu-ray, the receiver indicated that it's receiving a PCM signal and all speakers were working... Does that mean I was effectively getting original signal without downgrading?
You were getting a 2.0 PCM signal and your receiver was applying PLII processing to make it "surround".

Not quite true 5.0 PCM but still very nice.

dallow_bg said:
You were getting a 2.0 PCM signal and your receiver was applying PLII processing to make it "surround".

Not quite true 5.0 PCM but still very nice.

Are you sure? The receiver never did DPLII processing before unless I specifically enable it, and it wasn't turned on.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Naked Snake said:
Are you sure? The receiver never did DPLII processing before unless I specifically enable it, and it wasn't turned on.
I say this because it's impossible to to get 5.0 PCM with optical.

(well, not impossible, but it's locked out)

MechDX

I got an Onkyo 605 from ShopOnkyo.com for $360 shipped. Problem is its been a week and the damn thing just says "Prepared for shipping".

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Onix said:
Another thing to consider is that your TV may get replaced before your receiver. Its possible that HDMI 1.3 features will be important ... so I would advise getting a receiver that supports HDMI 1.3 (even if it doesn't have the new codecs). That way, at least you'll be able to properly pass HDMI 1.3 metadata.

That's a good point. My tv is already 1.3. But I can't think of any 1.3 usage for it yet. Deep Color (xxyyzz or whatever)seems to be marketing vaporware.

I forgot what the 1.1 Onkyo receiver was that is pretty cheap now that the 605 has replaced it.

Is it this one? Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1

Chiggs

Gold Member
If there are any Reward Zone members here that are planning on using that 20% off a Blu-ray player coupon towards the purchase of a PS3, it might not work.

Spoke with corporate (they said they didn't know :lol ), then spoke with two different store managers who told me flat-out "no."

jjasper

Chiggs said:
If there are any Reward Zone members here that are planning on using that 20% off a Blu-ray player coupon towards the purchase of a PS3, it might not work.

Spoke with corporate (they said they didn't know :lol ), then spoke with two different store managers who told me flat-out "no."

I was going to give it a try this weekend on a 40gb and see if I could get lucky.

Thinking logically if the kingdom was still the top hd-dvd title and only sold 10% of 310 to yuma last week, then this week there should be a greater difference and bluray should outsell hd-dvd even more than 85:15...

BoboBrazil said:
Thinking logically if the kingdom was still the top hd-dvd title and only sold 10% of 310 to yuma last week, then this week there should be a greater difference and bluray should outsell hd-dvd even more than 85:15...

That's why I said 90:10.

VanMardigan said:
That's a good point. My tv is already 1.3. But I can't think of any 1.3 usage for it yet. Deep Color (xxyyzz or whatever)seems to be marketing vaporware.

Is it this one? Onkyo TX-SR505 7.1

If your tv is HDMI 1.3, get a 1.3 receiver. 1.3 has auto lip sync but all components have to be 1.3 ie. PS3 > 1.3 amp > 1.3 tv etc..

ManaByte

Gold Member
Elios83 said:

In a high-def first, the 'Hitman' Blu-ray will also come with a bonus second DVD disc, which contains a standard-definition Digital Copy of the movie, enabling viewers to watch it on portable devices, such as a PC, iPod or iPhone.

Fox has been doing this since Die Hard 4. Blue Harvest does it too. They just include a DRM protected .mp4 file (that requires registration with FOX to use) on the disc which you can use on your PC or iPod.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Would my computer need to have a BD drive to extract the digital copy?

never mind, I re-read that. The digital copy is on a separate dvd.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:

It's possible your TV does A/V synching ... certainly your next one may do it.

As for DeepColor, I wouldn't be all that surprised if Sony gets its new version of AVC incorporated into the BD spec as being optional.

I would expect it to work like DTS-HD/MA ... old players will simply disregard the extra data and simply see the 'core', whereas players that support it will process and output it.

As long as we are talking about receivers....

I'm not too concerned abotu advanced codec support, but I would like to run all my video through my reciever so that I'm not always fussing with the projector *and* the reciever. Also, fewer cables to the projector is better. Any suggestions? Can I run everything through a reciever into a single HDMI out and then to the projecotr? Any downsides to that?

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
BoboBrazil said:

No bogo this week.

edit- for the record I'm a blu fan here, if it's 90:10 that would be perfect. 2 weeks in a row at absolutely crushing sales. I remember it was 72:28, we all said it was crushing.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
My TV and receiver are both 1.3. The TV has A/V syncing.

It was cool to go into my TV under HDMI Devices and see the brand and model of my receiver right there.

Very convient that they talk to each other, much less button pushing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom