• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker

Banned
Somnia said:
So I know this is probably a weird question to many, but has word of the Goonies coming to blu-ray been said? lol

I dunno, but it was on HD Cable last weekend and it actually looked really good.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Disney's mall tour extended:

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment (WDSHE) and Panasonic Electronics are extending Disney’s Magical Blu-ray Tour to another seven North American cities.

“Last year, thousands of consumers in each market stopped by our Blu-ray tour exhibit to better educate themselves on the Blu-ray format and its numerous technological advancements,” said WDSHE president Bob Chapek. “The success of this interactive and educational vehicle helped clear up many misperceptions about high-definition in general. With that said, we are thrilled to be able to extend the tour into 2008.”

The tour is updating its offerings as well: Blu-ray previews of Finding Nemo and The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, and interactive looks at Ratatouille, Cars, Meet the Robinsons, and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End will be showcased.

“As a leading manufacturer of state-of-the-art home entertainment products, we are honored to be part of an exhibit that helps bring context to consumers who want to learn more about the functionality and advantages of Blu-ray,” said Eisuke Tsuyuzaki, VP of corporate development for Panasonic and GM of the company’s Blu-ray Disc Group. “By setting up demo stations using Panasonic Viera HDTVs and Blu-ray players that feature exclusive Blu-ray Disc content, consumers can truly get a feel for what Blu-ray is all about and how it will work in their own home.”

Wrapping up in Toronto Jan. 27, the tour will continue to Raleigh and Durham, N.C., Nashville, Dallas, Denver and ends in Chicago in July.

gray_fox224

shintoki said:
Lost is 39.99 For Today on Amazon DOTD...BLURAY VERSION. Go Go Go

Great price. I ordered it three weeks ago so the good folks at Amazon did a post-price refund. I got $18.00 back :D :D

Another I reason I never go to B&Ms anymore.

Jim

gray_fox224 said:
Great price. I ordered it three weeks ago so the good folks at Amazon did a post-price refund. I got $18.00 back :D :D

That deal just shot it to #2 on Amazon's overall DVD chart... right over Planet Earth.

(edit: #1 now)

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jim said:
That deal just shot it to #2 on Amazon's overall DVD chart... right over Planet Earth.

No surprise seeing has how most Best Buys are STILL selling it for $120 with only a few dropping to $80.

BojTrek

Banned
I received a $50 gift card from Circuit City...

How does this relate to the HD thread... it made me realize for the 10th time that Circuit City sucks and should go under (I apologize in advance to any Circuit City employees).

Their HD-DVD and Blu-Ray selections suck and are just thrown on the shelves in semi-alphabetical order.

I ended up passing on the movies and picked up the PS3 Remote ($19.99) and the PS3 Eye Camera thingy...

I wish there was a better selection of movies in that sale, I still need to get The Kingdom and Eastern Promises...

Also thanks for the custom tag mods, it's good to see that the people who supposedly run this place are just as childish as most of the posters here...

djkimothy

Just saw Die Hard 4. Awesome transfer and even noticed the bitrate hitting 50 mbps at some points.

As for the movie, I was thoroughly entertained. Though I think the hacker aspect of it was a bit over the top. The action was good though. I thought the Apple guy wasn't as annoying as I would have thought. Funny to see Silent Bob make an appearance too. :D

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
markom58 said:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat142200050004

BestBuy HD DVD bogo...go dieing platform :lol Picked up Disturbia and Shrek 3 for $30 :D

Anyone have Bluray Bogo's?

Just picked up Bourne Supremacy and Shaun of the Dead. First HD DVD's I've bought since the Warner move. I plan to get Bourne Identity with an A3 once the price drops to $99, then get Bourne Ultimatum to complete the trilogy.

Awww, I was wondering why it was like that during slow scene

I hate that Sony included that. It turns average folks into fake tech gurus when they discuss bitrate on forums like they know what the hell they're talking about (not you djkimothy). Plus that meter is off a lot. I don't know why anyone would bother watching a movie with that on.

gray_fox224 said:

amazon's customer service is boss. They actually call YOU and have all your information already and everything.. It's like a twisted version of Soviet Russia.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Living Evil said:
No Country for Old Men is blu ray exclusive as Disney has the rights to it, not PV.
Okay, 2 out of 3 for now. Not a bad start ^_^
*Wants this, TWBB, and Rambo on BluRay*

Wow, That lost BluRay is going really fast here:lol Should have made a thread for it

dallow_bg said:
My Life of Brian BD was delivered today. Yipee!
I'm watching it now and I am amazed at how good they were able to make it look. Of course the audio is still crappy but there isn't much they could have done with that.

mackaveli

Lost 3 on blu-ray is simply amazing. I never watched lost here and there but us Canucks got it for under $30 because futureshop had it for 24.99 during boxing day. No idea if it was mistake or not but what a deal.

The picture quality is amazing, and the extras aren't bad.

Can't wait for lost this thursday

djkimothy

mackaveli said:
Lost 3 on blu-ray is simply amazing. I never watched lost here and there but us Canucks got it for under $30 because futureshop had it for 24.99 during boxing day. No idea if it was mistake or not but what a deal.

The picture quality is amazing, and the extras aren't bad.

Can't wait for lost this thursday

Should have taken advantage of that but I was too late. :(

mackaveli

djkimothy said:
Should have taken advantage of that but I was too late. :(

that sucks.

When i ordered mine it was out of stock and i thought they would cancel the order but to my surprise once it was back in stock they shipped it out.

edit- also, what i don't understand with HD-DVD fans is they talk about blu-ray players being expensive. And how hd-dvd is cheap. But when BDA gives away a blu-ray player with a hdtv thats cheap tactic.

Thats probably the best tactic to play. To get new people who don't have hdtv's buy a hdtv with a blu-ray player to enjoy blu-ray movies whenver they feel the need to buy one.

Also i don't understand why people complain about the blu-ray player price. If you own a nice tv, surely you can afford a blu-ray player. Could this be a reason why blu-ray software outsells hd-dvd as well? or one of the factors. Blu-ray is more expensive so people who buy it spend more money on blu-rays as opposed to hd-dvd who buy cheap players but then are reluctant to buy hd-dvds cause they don't want to spend money??

Nightz

So after reading through some of the posts in this thread, I bought Lost on Amazon. I've never seen a single episode, but my friend tells me it's good and the people here seem excited about it, so I'm gonna give it a shot. One thing that concerns me though...would I be able to pick up the story if I start from season 3? Or is this something where I need to watch the first 2 seasons before I even think about putting season 3 in?

jjasper

Nightz said:
So after reading through some of the posts in this thread, I bought Lost on Amazon. I've never seen a single episode, but my friend tells me it's good and the people here seem excited about it, so I'm gonna give it a shot. One thing that concerns me though...would I be able to pick up the story if I start from season 3? Or is this something where I need to watch the first 2 seasons before I even think about putting season 3 in?

You will have to watch 1 and 2 to understand it.

Holy shit at the Amazon Lost deal!! I've been on the fence for weeks, very glad that I waited and SO GLAD that I checked this thread before going to bed tonight (the deal is only for today, right?)... This must be the first online purchase I made while taking a dump, didn't want to lose a second :lol

Raistlin

Broke down and ordered Lost - Season 3, PotC - At World's End (need to finish the trilogy), and 2001.

Not bad for $71.04, especially considering its 2-day delivery.

BTW - For Blade Runner, is there anything extra that the deluxe version comes with ... or is it just a pretty case?

Nicodimas

Banned
Lame!!! There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men are both HDDVD Exclusive

Both will be available on HD, but not exclusively.

Also ordered Lost at that price + my favorite current show. Though Jericho may unpeg it if they go where I think they are going.
+ a few WB Hd-dvds.

Raistlin

Forgot to mention ...

After months and months of waiting on my pre-order for the Integra 9.8 to ship, I canceled.

I recently put myself on a wait-list from a different vendor (who WILL be getting them in within the next few weeks). However, I'm going to have to e-mail him to remove me from the wait list as well.

I found a distributor that allowed me to directly order the Onkyo Pro 885P (same thing as the Integra 9.8, but with a true analog direct mode, and some would argue ... better aesthetics). I can't even say the price ... 0_o. I got a freaking sick deal. I personally like the looks of the Integra a bit better, but I'm not going to pay $200+ more for it.

Me = happy!

Nicodimas

Banned
Originally Posted by Nightz:
Or is this something where I need to watch the first 2 seasons before I even think about putting season 3 in?

This.

Not watching the first two seasons would be the worst idea. so get on that!

Nicodimas

Banned
http://areahd.dvdtiefpreise.com/?p=217

There is still some good news for HD DVD. Dolmen Video and Mikado have announced to go HD DVD only in Italy.
Their first four movies, which will be available starting January, will be:

Kyashan - La rinascita
Shinobi
Reincarnation
Wolf Creek

All HD DVDs will be presented in the OAR and will be encoded utilizing AVC.
Except for the price of 24,99 EUR, there are no other infos regarding extras and languages

http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trailers/casshern_large.html
http://www.apple.com/jp/quicktime/trailers/shochiku/shinobi/l.html
http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/reincarnation/trailer/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416315/

A little pricey as normal, but gotta to love the import market.
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0062421/
http://www.imdb.com/company/co0121776/

dallow_bg

nods at old men
polyh3dron said:
I'm watching it now and I am amazed at how good they were able to make it look. Of course the audio is still crappy but there isn't much they could have done with that.
Glad to hear, the HDD review also put my hopes up.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
That is awesome Onix..what amp do you have pumping your speakers? My Integra is looking really old lately.

Boston Acoustics A2700 (7 channel amp). Not all that long ago, Boston Acoustics decided to jump into electronics. They sourced some Sherwood products (pre/pro, 2 receivers, and an amp), made a couple of tweaks, and redid the cases. Basically, your typical rebranding with some mods (Sherwood does this for A LOT of companies).

Anyway, its basically the Sherwood A-965. Decent amp in general.

For what I paid though, it was a steal :p. These products where out for less than a year when D&M Holdings (Denon, Marantz, McIntosh, etc) bought up Boston Acoustics. Considering they already had plenty of electronics offerings due to the other companies, the quickly killed off BA's electronics line. Obviously, they just wanted their speakers.

Audio Advisor got some stock in for cheap, and started clearing them out. They kept lowering the price on the line ... and I ended up getting the amp for ~$700.00 o_0

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nicodimas said:
Both will be available on HD, but not exclusively.

Also ordered Lost at that price + my favorite current show. Though Jericho may unpeg it if they go where I think they are going.
+ a few WB Hd-dvds.
So they both come out on BluRay ^_^ Soooo Good. First 2movies Im gonna pick up when I get my PS3 hehe

ManaByte

Gold Member
shintoki said:
So they both come out on BluRay ^_^ Soooo Good. First 2movies Im gonna pick up when I get my PS3 hehe

No. No Country for Old Men (Disney) and Rambo (Lions Gate) are both Blu-Ray exclusive. Paramount handles There Will Be Blood and as such is HD-DVD exclusive.

Nicodimas

Banned
There Will Be Blood will be Blu in Europe.

Can someone tell me about those above imports. I know casshern and have wanted it for some time...but the others?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ManaByte said:
No. No Country for Old Men (Disney) and Rambo (Lions Gate) are both Blu-Ray exclusive. Paramount handles There Will Be Blood and as such is HD-DVD exclusive.
Noooooooo *Cries* I wantz all tree!!!:lol

Oh well, 2 out of 3 is good, and the other shall come eventually ^_^

Are BluRay Regional Free too?

Argyle

Classy, Toshiba...

I just got my rebate form for my 5 free movies back, return to sender, PO Box closed :(

There are two rebate forms floating around out there, I guess I used the wrong one? (both say "must be postmarked by 3/31/08" on them)...

...anyway, if there are still people out there sending these in, don't bother with the form that goes to box 430931 :p

shintoki said:
Noooooooo *Cries* I wantz all tree!!!:lol

Oh well, 2 out of 3 is good, and the other shall come eventually ^_^

Are BluRay Regional Free too?

BRs are not region free, however North America and Asia are in the same region, so you can import Asian BR discs, or you can be cool like me and get a Japanese PS3 and still watch domestic BR discs... ;)

mackaveli

SlaughterX said:
BRs are not region free, however North America and Asia are in the same region, so you can import Asian BR discs, or you can be cool like me and get a Japanese PS3 and still watch domestic BR discs... ;)

some Blu-rays are region free. It depends on the studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom