• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryu1999

Christopher said:
Amazon prime suckas - I had mine for almost a year now and it's totally worth it to have your shit in 2 days.

So what's the next "big" release seems kind of dry in the blu ray releases - although it truly has let me catch up in watching some backlog.

Goodcow was onto something. Amazon Prime is the best $80 I ever spent. Probably the only membership fee I felt was worth it. I'm looking at you XBL

Tideas

Banned
just at circuit city, a couple was buying a high def tv, and the CC clerk was like, you guys are going to need a high def player to really get your money's worth, and they asked how to get that, and the clerk responded they can get a blueray player and get some free movies.

The wife then responds, well, they might as well get a PS3 then.

Goes to show, some people will buy a PS3 to play blueray and not games :D

Tideas said:
just at circuit city, a couple was buying a high def tv, and the CC clerk was like, you guys are going to need a high def player to really get your money's worth, and they asked how to get that, and the clerk responded they can get a blueray player and get some free movies.

I have honestly been surprised by how many people I have seen that do that,
(which sadly explains PS3 software sales)

OokieSpookie said:

ditto

coworker of mine dide this exact thing when her husband bought them a brand new HDTV.....her exact words "we wanted a Bluray player so we thought...might as well get a PS3"

but, on a happy note, she constantly hits me up on games to recommend and she recently finished Ratchet and Clank, which they both loved....

Raistlin

Ryu1999 said:
Amazon Prime is the best $80 I ever spent.

Yeah really.

It paid for itself with Christmas shopping for me ... so everything I've bought for myself has pretty much been gravy. 2-day shipping is just awesome! Its like buying it from a store :lol

BD purchases have been the best though ... 2 days (sometimes 1) to ship ... no tax ... already low prices ... plus I still get 10% off from that promotion they ran last year :)

Zen

Banned
So apparently there's a deal on where if you buy an HD TV, you get a free BR player and 3 free movies, and that's why the sales have been lopsided...

Or so an HD DVD supporter says, what truth is there to taht and how spread is the promotion? When did it start? are the 3 free movies contriubuting to software sales data?

Nicodimas

Banned
Its like buying it from a store

Geez it's better than that!!..It comes out to be cheaper and you do not have to go out of your way to get it. In fact it just shows up! The best is if you order couple of months ahead of time and stuff just shows up randomly.

dallow_bg said:
I noticed the Paramount titles coming back as well.

Bunch of copies of Coming to America? What?
Good to hear. Too late for me, though. I just bought Coming to America and Trading Places on eBay for $50 each. I couldn't find them for retail, anywhere.

Tideas said:

Actually, the wife's response makes it sound like her kids were already asking for a PS3, and now that she just purchased an HDTV, the PS3's Blu-ray capabilities was the additional incentive to spring for one. From your post, the couple seemed pretty clueless about HDM, so I doubt they knew the PS3 was best Blu-ray player, available. It was just a matter of killing two birds with one stone.

Snah

Banned
Zen said:
So apparently there's a deal on where if you buy an HD TV, you get a free BR player and 3 free movies, and that's why the sales have been lopsided...

Or so an HD DVD supporter says, what truth is there to taht and how spread is the promotion? When did it start? are the 3 free movies contriubuting to software sales data?

Ehhh. that's not the only reason sales have been so lopsided. HD-DVD dropped from over 15k units a week to around 1k after the Warner announcement. They then dropped prices and it went up to 8k.

Zoe

This has probably been mentioned already, but I was at Best Buy today and in the BR section they had a bunch $5 off coupons out in little displays. The catch is they aren't valid until March.

OokieSpookie said:

Me.

I mean, the games made it worth the $600, but the movies are my main thing.

Zen said:

I don't know about the states but in Canada, Bluray players have been bundled with Sony, Sharp, Samsung and Pioneer televisions in the monthly leadup to SuperBowl. HD-DVD players have been bundled with Toshiba televisions. Those don't sell though, not because of HD-DVD but because Toshiba televisions suck versus the other brands. Only good model they have is their high end LX177 and the no bezel RF350U model for people who need a bigger tv in a smaller space.

Replicant

Tideas said:
another one bites the dust :D. Man, the Warner switched had a bigger impact than the Paramount/Universal switch

Why is that?

Movie-catalogue wise, WB's selection is far wider than Paramount/Universal. I mean we're talking about classic titles like "Gone with The Wind" as well as popular series like "Batman", etc.

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but as I was browsing Amazon for Blu-ray movies, recommended by fellow Gafers, I noticed a placeholder for LOTR trilogy on Blu-ray.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Trilogy-Blu-ray/dp/B000X9FLKM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1201752649&sr=1-5

Ironically, enough, searching this thread for "LOTR" and "Amazon" only brought up one post:

isamu said:
Just picked up a Toshiba X-A2 from amazon Monday. Expecting it tomorrow. Man oh man, can't wait to see TF and LotR Trilogy in HD!!!!! :D
Sorry, isamu.

Snah said:
You know what's funny?

If the "superbowl ad" only ends up causing a spike in Blu-Ray player sales, ironically.

Joe Six Pack watches the superbowl, sees an HD-DVD ad, then goes to Best Buy where he is told that HD-DVD is dead and that it has no support, ends up leaving the store with a Blu-Ray player in hand.

There's no retail or consumer mindshare in favor of HD-DVD at this point. The superbowl ad is a waste of money and more than likely will only end up being counterproductive.

That would most likely get that person fired...

Snah

Banned
SlaughterX said:

No it wouldn't.

It's a competing format that failed. Employees are going to be recommending Blu-Ray over HD-DVD a lot more since the Warner announcement.

Because bad mouthing products a company sells could make them lose support from that company. I've got in trouble for it a few times already, but cheap ass people really like to buy those damn Polariods...

YYZ said:
I just noticed this thread has more than a million views :O
More like :
anime_lolWut.gif

SlaughterX said:

Great shitting shilelagh , have you just given up on even having a conjugal visit with reality now and then?
People in stores give opinions all of the time, they are there to help the customer and as much as it brings a tear to my eye helping a customer suggesting hd-dvd are not compatible.

methane47

Anyone been to Blockbuster lately?

Sony is advertising Bluray and the PS3 BIG time in 3 stores i visted today.

Each one had a 40" ?? bravia hooked up to a PS3.. unplayable ... but had bluray's playing.. two had PotC another had Rattatoui? not sure..

Besides that ... The first store had atleast 6 large cardboard cut out ads of Bluray and the PS3..

i was really taken a back...

SlaughterX said:
Because bad mouthing products a company sells could make them lose support from that company. I've got in trouble for it a few times already, but cheap ass people really like to buy those damn Polariods...

Steering them away from a shitty product selling at clearance prices toward something that sells for more of a profit is what they call back where I come from "good business".
Suggesting a product that will make no profit and will most likely be returned in a few weeks is what they used to call back where I come from "bad business".
Good business is goooooood.
Bad business is baaaaaad.

There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion, but saying "HD-DVD is dead, buy a BR player" is downplaying another product that the stores, and quite frankly is something only a fanboy would do because it's just silly. How would you like it if a customer came in to buy PS3 and the employee said "don't buy that crap, the Xbox 360 is kicked it's butt, get that". If you're a big Sony fan that customer might lose their business forever, and just imagine is Sony rep was there and happened to over hear it. The way a lot of you talk it's hard to imagine you all live in the real world or have any type of common sense...

Ckid

SlaughterX said:
There is nothing wrong with giving your opinion, but saying "HD-DVD is dead, buy a BR player" is downplaying another product that the stores, and quite frankly is something only a fanboy would do because it's just silly. How would you like it if a customer came in to buy PS3 and the employee said "don't buy that crap, the Xbox 360 is kicked it's butt, get that". If you're a big Sony fan that customer might lose their business forever, and just imagine is Sony rep was there and happened to over hear it. The way a lot of you talk it's hard to imagine you all live in the real world or have any type of common sense...

Telling them to buy a blu-ray player instead of HD-DVD is just good advice. PS3 v. Xbox 360 is different.

Snaku

Banned
SlaughterX said:

No, it's compassionate. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend a product that'll be dead within a year over the market leader. It's akin to convincing someone to buy into a stock, when you know the company is on the brink of financial ruin. That's not to say I wouldn't give the pros & cons between the two, and let the customer decide. It's totally up to them in the end.

Thankfully, I haven't worked in retail in years. So I don't give a shit. :D

Raistlin

SlaughterX said:

You're actually trying to compare a media format with game consoles? Really?

methane47 said:
Anyone been to Blockbuster lately?

Sony is advertising Bluray and the PS3 BIG time in 3 stores i visted today.

Each one had a 40" ?? bravia hooked up to a PS3.. unplayable ... but had bluray's playing.. two had PotC another had Rattatoui? not sure..

Besides that ... The first store had atleast 6 large cardboard cut out ads of Bluray and the PS3..

i was really taken a back...

Is Blockbuster still selling that PS3 package that comes with the system, a couple of games, movies, remote, rental card, and a partridge in a pear tree for something like $500? My girlfriend wants to get me one, and I may steer her in that direction if it's that good a good deal. I just can't find anything about it online. Anybody know anything?

Snaku said:
No, it's compassionate. I couldn't, in good conscience, recommend a product that'll be dead within a year over the market leader. It's akin to convincing someone to buy into a stock, when you know the company is on the brink of financial ruin. That's not to say I wouldn't give the pros & cons between the two, and let the customer decide. It's totally up to them in the end.

Thankfully, I haven't worked in retail in years. So I don't give a shit. :D

It is not even compassion to be honest .
There is NO PROFIT IN PUSHING HD-DVD PLAYERS , businesses have no incentive to push clearance priced players when there is a profitable alternative with long term sales potential.

mosaic

go eat paint
Battlezone said:
Is Blockbuster still selling that PS3 package that comes with the system, a couple of games, movies, remote, rental card, and a partridge in a pear tree for something like $500? My girlfriend wants to get me one, and I may steer her in that direction if it's that good a good deal. I just can't find anything about it online. Anybody know anything?
At our local Blockbuster, the HD-DVD sections were only just recently replaced with a PS3 demo unit, a Bravia HDTV, and boxes advertising the company's PS3 bundle...

For $599: PS3 console 80GB w/ controller, Motorstorm game, Surf's Up BluRay movie, PS3 remote control, HDMI cable, and 10 weeks of movie/game rentals.

The demo unit and HDTV is a great way to show customers the visual goodness of BluRay, but the deal itself isn't all that compelling. You can get a PS3 80GB with Motorstorm for $499. The remote is a $25 accessory, you may not want Surf's Up, and you can get an HDMI cable for under $10 many places. It comes down to how much you value the 10 weeks of rentals...

SlaughterX said:

Holy shit.

Mrbob

lawlz this superbowl ad won't be a magical turnaround for hd dvd

the only reason toshiba hasn't pulled it yet is the penalty is too big to throw away the ad

I work in retail and when I give customers my advice most of the time they THANK me. They don't walk out in disgust. Now if they still want a hd-dvd player after I tell them the situation then I gladly ring it up for them. That is what I am paid for. To offer my advice to help a customer choose a product that will make him or her happy.

SRG01

BoboBrazil said:
I work in retail and when I give customers my advice most of the time they THANK me. They don't walk out in disgust. Now if they still want a hd-dvd player after I tell them the situation then I gladly ring it up for them. That is what I am paid for. To offer my advice to help a customer choose a product that will make him or her happy.

Precisely. The best way to get a sale isn't to mislead the customer, but by actually informing and selling a product.

And besides, a lot of them have 6th senses on whether a sales rep is trying to swindle them. :lol

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here's the question. Should I buy Die Hard 1-3 for $30 each and wait for the Unrated Die Hard 4 if they ever release it, or should I get the boxed set for $90, which basically has DH4 for free.

Costanza

Banned
ManaByte said:
Here's the question. Should I buy Die Hard 1-3 for $30 each and wait for the Unrated Die Hard 4 if they ever release it, or should I get the boxed set for $90, which basically has DH4 for free.
Might as well just go with the boxset and double dip later.

Sh0k

EB Games/Gamestop is having a Buy 2 Used DVDs and get 2 for FREE that it also applies to Bluray movies. Just bought Superman The Movie, Rambo First Blood, The Fugitive and Terminator 2, all for $32. + tax :D

Sh0k said:
EB Games/Gamestop is having a Buy 2 Used DVDs and get 2 for FREE that it also applies to Bluray movies. Just bought Superman The Movie, Rambo First Blood, The Fugitive and Terminator 2, all for $32. + tax :D

I will have to check some other gamestops.
The one by my house has a moviestop in the same plaza so all of the blu stuff usually ends up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom