• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
mackaveli said:
some Blu-rays are region free. It depends on the studio.

Now that I think about it you're right about some BRs being region free. Most of my Sony/Columbia movies that are ABC region, but a few are only region A.

mackaveli

Loudninja

FS Film Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
Another fallout of the Warner announcement, Finnish distributor FS Film will now support Blu-ray exclusively. They currently have distribution rights to titles from many different studios, but appear to focus most of their efforts on releasing Fox titles. Soon after Warner Brothers announced that they would support Blu-ray exclusively this summer, all HD DVD product listings on their website disappeared. It has now been confirmed that they have dropped the format in favor of Blu-ray.

Thanks goes to forum member Merlins for contacting FS Film for confirmation as well as submitting the news tip.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=906

Argyle

mackaveli said:
quoted since people might not see it on the previous page.

edit-

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/30/sonics-scenarist-now-blu-ray-digital-distribution-format-only/

Sonic Solutions goes blu-ray and digital distribution only now.
No idea what this really means exactly in the whole format war.

another link

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=13449

Wow. I guess they are discontinuing the HD DVD version since pretty soon there won't be anyone authoring discs to sell it to :p

avaya

The importance of the Sonic decision is huge. Along with Avid that is the end of HD-DVD on the professional front and a major industry signal.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Argyle said:
Classy, Toshiba...

I just got my rebate form for my 5 free movies back, return to sender, PO Box closed :(

There are two rebate forms floating around out there, I guess I used the wrong one? (both say "must be postmarked by 3/31/08" on them)...

...anyway, if there are still people out there sending these in, don't bother with the form that goes to box 430931 :p

Ugh, I'm dreading that my five free movies won't arrive. When did you send yours in btw?

Raistlin

mackaveli said:
quoted since people might not see it on the previous page.

edit-

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/30/sonics-scenarist-now-blu-ray-digital-distribution-format-only/

Sonic Solutions goes blu-ray and digital distribution only now.
No idea what this really means exactly in the whole format war.

another link

http://www.emedialive.com/Articles/ReadArticle.aspx?ArticleID=13449

Basically, it means HD DVD is close to dead as a viable PC reordable format too, assuming the Roxio SW dries up as well. In reality, it never had much of a chance due to capacity problems (besides literally being smaller, Tosh had major problems getting out dual-layered recordable media) ... but now that authoring software is drying up ... its definitely game over.

Argyle said:
Classy, Toshiba...

I just got my rebate form for my 5 free movies back, return to sender, PO Box closed :(

There are two rebate forms floating around out there, I guess I used the wrong one? (both say "must be postmarked by 3/31/08" on them)...

...anyway, if there are still people out there sending these in, don't bother with the form that goes to box 430931 :p

I got that a couple of weeks ago. I called, and they gave me a different PO Box to send it to. Don't know if that will actually DO anything, but what the hell...

Argyle

Battlezone said:
I got that a couple of weeks ago. I called, and they gave me a different PO Box to send it to. Don't know if that will actually DO anything, but what the hell...

I'm just sending the other form out (there were two different ones with slightly different movies) - do you remember what the PO box # was that they gave you?

At least it came back before the rebate deadline :p

Argyle

Battlezone said:
Yeah, it was:

PO Box 420503
El Paso, TX 88543-0503

OK, cool, that's the address on the other form, then.

I switched forms and so it looks like I will get slightly different movies, no big deal. Did you send the same form in? I guess if I put the other one in the envelope they would just send me whatever they wanted if they didn't have the movie I picked :p

Mifune

Mehmber
Is it my imagination or are older Paramount BD titles starting to resurface on store shelves? There were many copies of Flags/Iwo Jima at Best Buy last night, and those had been MIA for months.

avaya

The BDs weren't destoryed just stored away and stores told not to put them up. Maybe the retailers taking things into their own hands.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
Ah the Super bowl ad...
How it has inspired the hd loyal to new extremes in their imagination.

And if it pushes hardware, you won't hear the end of it from HD DVD fans.

How many people watch the Super Bowl? Imagine if a tiny percentage of that saw the add and decided to buy the product (let's assume they don't bother to read this thread). Even if it's less than 1 percent, even 50k, that would push the HD DVD hardware WAY past our young HD market. Didn't Blu Ray "dominate" the other week with 18k or so? Then they dropped last week, so let's assume they sell 18k again. Versus 50k. That's like a 75% standalone hardware advantage by Toshiba for the week, one that would amount to a whole month or so of BD standalone sales.

It's such a tiny market that something like this can show up on NPD, but it's also such a small market right now that you have to wonder why Toshiba would bother. No way they sell enough, not nearly enough, to make that investment worthwhile. I guess it's an attempt to stem the large amount of negative publicity for the format after the WB announcement.
The BDs weren't destoryed just stored away and stores told not to put them up. Maybe the retailers taking things into their own hands.

I don't think they were stored away. Stores just had to sell whatever they had. The only difference is there would be no re-stock. The only titles that were recalled were the ones shipping the week of the announcement (like Blades of Glory)

avaya

VanMardigan said:
I don't think they were stored away. Stores just had to sell whatever they had. The only difference is there would be no re-stock. The only titles that were recalled were the ones shipping the week of the announcement (like Blades of Glory)

Then how can we explain these showing up? It doesn't seem to be a freak occurrence either. Maybe Paramount has relaxes some restrictions...I doubt it though.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
avaya said:
Then how can we explain these showing up? It doesn't seem to be a freak occurrence either. Maybe Paramount has relaxes some restrictions...I doubt it though.

I remember stores, including Amazon, selling Para BD movies until they ran out of their stock. I don't recall there being a restriction for Paramount outside of the stuff that was coming out that week.

avaya

VanMardigan said:
I remember stores, including Amazon, selling Para BD movies until they ran out of their stock. I don't recall there being a restriction for Paramount outside of the stuff that was coming out that week.

Maybe it's just a case of some stores getting rid of old stock and people are more acutely aware of it given the climate.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Mifune said:
Is it my imagination or are older Paramount BD titles starting to resurface on store shelves? There were many copies of Flags/Iwo Jima at Best Buy last night, and those had been MIA for months.

Iwo Jima is a Warner release.

VanMardigan said:

How many people watch the Super Bowl? Imagine if a tiny percentage of that saw the add and decided to buy the product (let's assume they don't bother to read this thread). Even if it's less than 1 percent, even 50k, that would push the HD DVD hardware WAY past our young HD market. Didn't Blu Ray "dominate" the other week with 18k or so? Then they dropped last week, so let's assume they sell 18k again. Versus 50k. That's like a 75% standalone hardware advantage by Toshiba for the week, one that would amount to a whole month or so of BD standalone sales.

It's such a tiny market that something like this can show up on NPD, but it's also such a small market right now that you have to wonder why Toshiba would bother. No way they sell enough, not nearly enough, to make that investment worthwhile. I guess it's an attempt to stem the large amount of negative publicity for the format after the WB announcement.

It doesn't matter how many superbowl watchers see their commercial and say "gosh golly ah am gonna go down and buy me one of them there he deeeee veee deeee players now" because as soon as they find out that 90% of the movies that they want will not be available to them they will return them and be pissed off.
The main reason that the ad is even going to be there is that they bought the space a while back and there is a rather large penalty fee for dropping out.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
OokieSpookie said:
It doesn't matter how many superbowl watchers see their commercial and say "gosh golly ah am gonna go down and buy me one of them there he deeeee veee deeee players now" because as soon as they find out that 90% of the movies that they want will not be available to them they will return them and be pissed off.
The main reason that the ad is even going to be there is that they bought the space a while back and there is a rather large penalty fee for dropping out.

If they talk like that, they'll be picking up the dvd version anyway and upscaling. 100% of all movies in HD!!! :lol

Christopher

OokieSpookie said:
It doesn't matter how many superbowl watchers see their commercial and say "gosh golly ah am gonna go down and buy me one of them there he deeeee veee deeee players now" because as soon as they find out that 90% of the movies that they want will not be available to them they will return them and be pissed off.The main reason that the ad is even going to be there is that they bought the space a while back and there is a rather large penalty fee for dropping out.

:lol

who cares? Alas we've seen the hardware doesn't sell the movies.

VanMardigan said:
If they talk like that, they'll be picking up the dvd version anyway and upscaling. 100% of all movies in HD!!! :lol

Argh, don't remind me :lol
I had the upscale conversation with a friend of mine's wife the other day and it was like talking to a wall.
(The only reason that they have a nice hdtv is that they won it)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dallow_bg said:
Wal-Mart players and lack of HD DVD media sales spike

So, what are we attributing over one third of HD disc sales last year to? The drops came right around the time of the Ps3 price drop. Ps3 moved a ton of units in November and December, not to mention that BD standalones started selling well also, and the ratios pretty much stayed still for YTD, with spikes here and there.

There were tons of more BD playback devices out there, so the hardware did its job. It's absurd to suggest that moving hardware is insignificant when that's exactly how Sony put BD on top. By trojan horsing the format onto a platform that sold hundreds of thousands every month, they gained the hardware advantage, and thus software advantage. If the $99 players had no impact, the ratios wouldn't have remained the same, they would've dramatically increased in Blu's favor after the 40GB started to take off. And despite that, the YTD ratios pretty much stayed put despite the weekly spikes when a big release came out. That's entirely due to standalone hardware sales producing software sales. A 50k spike, ESPECIALLY now that so many HD DVD folks stopped buying movies, would easily be felt in the NPD charts.

It's a short term deal, though. No lasting impact. I'm not arguing that, but to suggest that moving hardware doesn't matter is laughable.

How about-- moving a lot of hardware in a short term-- that does nothing to move software.

You can argue the boundaries of the discussion or the semantics, but the point is clear-- a big push in early December didn;t do anything for software sales, and the presumtion is that it won't in the future, either.

Loudninja

National Geographic Goes Blu-ray Exclusive
National Geographic has confirmed that they will only be releasing high definition titles on the Blu-ray format. The decision to go format exclusive comes after Warner Brothers, the company which distributes their content, decided to go Blu-ray exclusive earlier this month. While no official press release will be issued on the subject by National Geographic, all future releases will fall under this new policy.

The first title to fall under this new policy will be the April release of 'Sharkwater' which should get officially announced soon. National Geographic is the latest studio to switch to Blu-ray exclusivity, and the third to do so under the Warner umbrella (joining ranks with New Line and HBO). The only Warner holdout left is BBC, who remains format neutral and will continue to release on both formats.

The only National Geographic high definition release thus far has been 'Relentless Enemies', which was released almost a year ago. Hopefully, with the format war finally ending, we'll see more content from the legendary company.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=909

michaeld

Banned
Don't know if this has been posted but this means Circuit City is clearing out stock, correct?
index5efdecapk9.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I've never had a problem with them.

Most of my free 2 day shipped stuff (amazon prime) actually gets here in 1 day.

Hopefully you have a tracking number. :)
It's being walked to Canada.

djkimothy

dallow_bg said:
I've never had a problem with them.

Most of my free 2 day shipped stuff (amazon prime) actually gets here in 1 day.

Hopefully you have a tracking number. :)
It's being walked to Canada.

I'll check the tracking number. But yah, I have a feeling it's being flown by a carrier pigeon.

Flo_Evans

Question: (don't know if this is the best place to ask) the new premiere CS3 has Blu-Ray authoring tools. Does anyone know if it supports creating the advanced PiP stuff?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
djkimothy said:
So my amazon order of LOST 3 said it shipped, but it's going to take until March 3rd. :(

The date on amazon on estimated arrival tends to be very conservative.

Snah

Banned
You know what's funny?

If the "superbowl ad" only ends up causing a spike in Blu-Ray player sales, ironically.

Joe Six Pack watches the superbowl, sees an HD-DVD ad, then goes to Best Buy where he is told that HD-DVD is dead and that it has no support, ends up leaving the store with a Blu-Ray player in hand.

There's no retail or consumer mindshare in favor of HD-DVD at this point. The superbowl ad is a waste of money and more than likely will only end up being counterproductive.

Christopher

Amazon prime suckas - I had mine for almost a year now and it's totally worth it to have your shit in 2 days.

So what's the next "big" release seems kind of dry in the blu ray releases - although it truly has let me catch up in watching some backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom