• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The only way I will ever buy a total HD disc is if something really *big* comes out for it (i.e. LOTR, Star Wars, Back to the Future).. I hate the technology and wont support it unless a movie I just cant say no to makes its way to the format.

jjasper

StoOgE said:
The only way I will ever buy a total HD disc is if something really *big* comes out for it (i.e. LOTR, Star Wars, Back to the Future).. I hate the technology and wont support it unless a movie I just cant say no to makes its way to the format.

Yeah I thought so at first but what happens if companies like Paramount and Warner decide this is how they need to release all their movies. Like Batman Begins on the Blu Ray side, it is possible that Warner might not release BB as a blu ray stand alone.

StoOgE

jjasper said:
Yeah I thought so at first but what happens if companies like Paramount and Warner decide this is how they need to release all their movies. Like Batman Begins on the Blu Ray side, it is possible that Warner might not release BB as a blu ray stand alone.

Batman Begins for me would fit under that "have to have it" list... so would the Matrix and probably 300 as well.. there are 2-3 movies a year for me that I just have to own.. those would get THD purchases if there is no other choice.

However, if WB tried to sell me some of the other HD movies of theirs I have bought (Grand Prix, Road Warrior, Bullitt, Scanner Darkly) that I would buy on HDDVD (or BRD if I owned one) wouldnt be purchased on total HD. First because it will cost more and second, I dont want to reward this technology with my business.. because if it takes off and WB can show how it helped their bottom line, I could see more studios jumping on board.

I think BRD and HDDVD owners should both band together and try to make sure this isnt a profitible venture for WB.

StoOgE

djkimothy said:
So, is this going to cost more than the HDDVD/DVD combo discs?

If it is...Rip...Off...

How could it not? BRD cost more to make than DVD.. and HDDVD and BRD cant be made at the same facility AFAIK (where DVD and HDDVD can).. plus lic fees to two different groups.. I could see the MSRP on these things pushing into the 45 dollar range (since MSRP on HDDVD/DVD combos is allready 40 bucks), and costing 35 or so online. If not worse.

They are nothing more than a way for a corporation do inventory control and we are footing the bill for it.

I'll wait to see the prices, but I have no problem with this. One, it means day/date releases for the two formats (I'm still waiting on Batman Begins, for instance) and two, I don't mind having the option of the other format. I wouldn't pick it over a stright BD release, but it's not big deal. Again, I'm hoping they are still doing dual-layer BDs for this.

StoOgE

Oni Jazar said:
UGH..

Last I heard these TotalHD discs were limited to 25BD single-layer size. F that.

The limitation is they can only have 2 layers on a single side and one layer on the other (Same with HDDVD combo discs).. and dual layer HD and single layer BD make the most sense.. only 5gbs apart.

These are going to be a complete and total rip off. Please dont feed the Warner Brothers.

Oni Jazar

"I'm hoping they are still doing dual-layer BDs for this."

What StoOgE said they won't do 50GB. It will be 15 HD DVD/25BD initially then 30 HD DVD/25BD later on.

StoOgE

Oni Jazar said:
"I'm hoping they are still doing dual-layer BDs for this."

What StoOgE said they won't do 50GB. It will be 15 HD DVD/25BD initially then 30 HD DVD/25BD later on.

exactly.. and honestly, your going to get the exact same encode on BRD anyway.. so it shouldnt matter too much. Might not leave enough room over for lossless audio on longer films, but its WB so they werent going to give it to you anyway. :lol

Wulfer

jjasper said:

You don't get it do you? This is the only way those titles are gonna get released right now and may be the only way. No Blu-ray standalone version is coming...

See why I pulled out the popcorn?

jjasper

WULFER said:
You don't get it do you? This is the only way those titles are gonna get released right now and may be the only way. No Blu-ray standalone version is coming...

See why I pulled out the popcorn?

Right. I do get, that's why I mentioned it. I was more refering to like in the future when say the Dark Knight comes out only on TrueHD no stand alone blu ray or HD DVD comes out. But it is possible that Warner might stop production of BB HD DVD stand alone as well to push THD

It is not a good thing either as some have mentioned both sides on of the disk might be gimped (will be in the beginning)

djkimothy

Well, as long as Warner can match the quality of POTC 1&2, then I'm all for it. If not, then it's a waste of time/money.

Would still get 300 if it's TotalHD...

Kolgar

djkimothy said:
Well, as long as Warner can match the quality of POTC 1&2, then I'm all for it. If not, then it's a waste of time/money.

Would still get 300 if it's TotalHD...

I dislike combo discs and haven't warmed to TotalHD, but yet, as a dual-format owner, I'm strangely pleased by the thought of a TotalHD "300."

Well, it officially sucks then, since it'll be 25GB only.

I guess the good news is that it isn;t likely they'll do this forever.

....and, it's not like it won't still be an HD movie. Better than not getting titles. As I've said repeatedly, my main interest is the movie itself, and that ought to be enough space.

djkimothy

Argyle said:
It would be amusing if for cost-cutting measures they gimped the HD DVD side to also fit in 25GB. :)

I don't think they'll have any problems having the HDDVD version to be slightly better than the BD side. They're doing it now with standalone releases. :/

Luckyman

Banned
http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_review.php?id=6853&rtype=disc_type

For this transfer Disney went with 50GB Blu-ray disc (BD50) and glorious AVC transfer in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and the average bit rate ranges from 35 to 38 Mbps. In short ladies and gentleman this Pirates movie gives us the new benchmark in picture quality for HD optical. Up until this point, both Crank on Blu-ray and King Kong on HD DVD were the films to beat in HD optical picture quality. I was fortunate enough to watch the new Matrix Collection HD DVD box set yesterday, and not even it rivals this Curse of the Black Pearl disc.

StoOgE

Got my Matrix today :D

Waiting for me to get home.. Im going to do extensive comparisons, my thought it the jump should be huge.. the film relies on alot of black on black detail (since clothing, guns, et al only seem to come in black in the Matrix)... that was completely lost on the DVD versions.

Im really really pumped :D

Glad to here POTC looks nice.. if/when I move to BRD or it shows up on HDDVD its one of my first buys. Not the sequal though. ugg.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Chemo said:
I won't support TotalHD. Warner will eventually release a Batman Begins Blu-ray when it's the only HD format left.

I won't buy a single TotalHD disc either. Hybrid players are bad enough, hybrid discs are just stupid.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
StoOgE said:
Glad to here POTC looks nice.. if/when I move to BRD or it shows up on HDDVD its one of my first buys. Not the sequal though. ugg.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Chemo

Suikoguy said:
I won't buy a single TotalHD disc either. Hybrid players are bad enough, hybrid discs are just stupid.
Seriously.

Please guys, I don't care if you like Blu-ray or HD DVD, please skip out on these TotalHD bullshit hybrid discs and just support the format you like better. This is going to drag things out and blur statistics like crazy.

Chemo said:
Seriously.

Please guys, I don't care if you like Blu-ray or HD DVD, please skip out on these TotalHD bullshit hybrid discs and just support the format you like better. This is going to drag things out and blur statistics like crazy.

+1

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
TotalHD is one of the worst things to come from this format war. It moves us backwards, not forwards, in allowing one format to clearly dominate.

It's a transitional thing. It's indended to hedge for the studio and to allow consumers to not be concerned if later one or the other format dominates.

I don't like the layer restrictions, and I don;t likely the expected bump in price, but the negativity surprises me.

Raistlin

Luckyman said:
http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_review.php?id=6853&rtype=disc_type

"For this transfer Disney went with 50GB Blu-ray disc (BD50) and glorious AVC transfer in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio and the average bit rate ranges from 35 to 38 Mbps. In short ladies and gentleman this Pirates movie gives us the new benchmark in picture quality for HD optical. Up until this point, both Crank on Blu-ray and King Kong on HD DVD were the films to beat in HD optical picture quality. I was fortunate enough to watch the new Matrix Collection HD DVD box set yesterday, and not even it rivals this Curse of the Black Pearl disc."

Uh oh ... StoOgE meldown in

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ignatz Mouse said:
It's a transitional thing. It's indended to hedge for the studio and to allow consumers to not be concerned if later one or the other format dominates.

I don't like the layer restrictions, and I don;t likely the expected bump in price, but the negativity surprises me.

its something that potentially delays the move to one format, and thats bad.

IMO they should leave the inventory management to the stores. If they don't want to carry two formats, just ditch the one that isn't selling so well. That'll actually help single format adoption, which is IMO what we need to get this HD ball rolling properly into mass market penetration

I don't really think its that big of a deal. So you get 2 TotalHD disc in a package. One for the movies and one for bonus features. Companies already said they prefer 25GB so they can brag and market that a movie is a 2 disc set. The only thing that kinda sucks is that the price will probably go up by $5 bucks. However, I have to admit, I might actually buy movies instead of renting them now.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TheJesusFactor said:
I don't really think its that big of a deal. So you get 2 TotalHD disc in a package. One for the movies and one for bonus features. Companies already said they prefer 25GB so they can brag and market that a movie is a 2 disc set. The only thing that kinda sucks is that the price will probably go up by $5 bucks. However, I have to admit, I might actually buy movies instead of renting them now.

Flippers suck for starters.

Raistlin

Suikoguy said:
Isn't the max bitrate for HD-DVD 30?

Yep ... and that was my point. StoOgE was previously arguing that BD's bitrate advantage is meaningless. Interesting, we now have a title that is averaging bitrates higher than what HD-DVD is capable of ... and guess what, reviews are stating it is the best looking HD transfer ever.

HD-DVD's max video bitrate is 29.4 Mbits ... but that would effectively be without sound since it's max TOTAL is 30.4 after overhead. Obviously 1 Mbit ain't gonna get it done for audio.

BD max video bitrate is 40 Mbits with a total of around 50 after overhead. So even at it's max bitrate, it still has 10 Mbits that could be used for sound.

I'm wondering if that PotC 35 to 38 Mbps value is for total bitrate, or video? I'll test it when this weekend when I pick it up.

Onix said:
Yep ... and that was my point. StoOgE was previously arguing that BD's bitrate advantage is meaningless. Interesting, we now have a title that is averaging bitrates higher than what HD-DVD is capable of ... and guess what, reviews are stating it is the best looking HD transfer ever.

HD-DVD's max video bitrate is 29.4 Mbits ... but that would effectively be without sound since it's max TOTAL is 30.4 after overhead. Obviously 1 Mbit ain't gonna get it done for audio.

BD max video bitrate is 40 Mbits with a total of around 50 after overhead. So even at it's max bitrate, it still has 10 Mbits that could be used for sound.

I'm wondering if that PotC 35 to 38 Mbps value is for total bitrate, or video? I'll test it when this weekend when I pick it up.

They could have probably achieved similar results (if not the same) with an optimized VC-1 encoding at a lower bitrate.

Flags of our Fathers on both Blu-ray and HD DVD will be the perfect comparison, since the Mbps on the AVC encoding is around 29-39 while the VC-1 is around 10-25 according to these reviews:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/137065/
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/137066/

And for those hoping for a title with a higher bitrate VC-1 encoding for the Blu-ray release already has one: Nine Inch Nails: Beside You in Time.

I compared the two and I couldn't discern any difference.

And finally...this will be mine:

kubrickhdyt6.jpg

rc213

The Main Event said:
They could have probably achieved similar results (if not the same) with an optimized VC-1 encoding at a lower bitrate.

Flags of our Fathers on both Blu-ray and HD DVD will be the perfect comparison, since the Mbps on the AVC encoding is around 29-39 while the VC-1 is around 10-25 according to these reviews:

And for those hoping for a title with a higher bitrate VC-1 encoding for the Blu-ray release already has one: Nine Inch Nails: Beside You in Time.

I compared the two and I couldn't discern any difference.

And finally...this will be mine:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/9300/kubrickhdyt6.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Any idea if the Full Metal Jacket included in the set is better than the standalone version. All the reviews say the standalone is really crappy.

ManaByte

Gold Member
rc213 said:
Any idea if the Full Metal Jacket included in the set is better than the standalone version. All the reviews say the standalone is really crappy.

Or if the Eyes Wide Shut is the censored or uncensored one.

StoOgE

Onix said:

1) We have 1 review stating its the best looking ever. It may be, but I'll wait till Ive seen it. Its also unclear what he means by best ever.. Pirates is a very very well shot movie that is in pristine condition on film. While Kong was a great transfer, it has a soft image by design and the Special Effects are pretty shoddy IMO. The reviewer may be saying it is *technically* a better transfer, or that it is *subjectively* better looking. If its the latter, there are alot of factors that play into that other than encode.

2) The bitrate is higher, but thats probably total bitrate (they likely got it from the players bitrate display, which is total), so that includes uncomressed audio, where TrueHD would have considerably less for the same outcome.

3) VC1 would also have saved alot of bandwidth.

I agree, Flags of our Fathers will be a good test for the differences as was the NIN disk. So far, the only disc that we have with the same encode with a higher bitrate for the BRD has looked exactly the same on both formats (very nice looking BTW)

Raistlin

The Main Event said:

Just to note, the new AVC codec Sony announced a few months back is reported to acually be more effecient than VC-1.

I'm not sure how to confirm whether this is using it, but the timing seems to point in that direction.

BTW - That's awesome about the Kubrick collection. For a while, it looked to be back-burnered!

StoOgE

rc213 said:

rumors have been saying they are redoing it and getting rid of the stairstepping... I think many people just dont understand that the transfer is very very close to what Kubrik wanted. Sometimes an image is soft and the colors are muted because its supposed to be.

Onix said:
Just to note, the new AVC codec Sony announced a few months back is reported to acually be more effecient than VC-1.

I'm not sure how to confirm whether this is using it, but the timing seems to point in that direction.

Reported by who?

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
2) The bitrate is higher, but thats probably total bitrate (they likely got it from the players bitrate display, which is total), so that includes uncomressed audio, where TrueHD would have considerably less for the same outcome.

Do you know how much bitrate an average LPCM track uses? What of TrueHD?

3) VC1 would also have saved alot of bandwidth.

Old version of the AVC encoder, yes. We should confirm which version is being used here before jumping to conclusions.

StoOgE

Onix said:
QUOTE]

That was Sony saying it was more efficient than VC1.. so take that with a grain of salt.. thats like MS saying VC1 is the bomb.. and comparing Flags of our fathers reviews (similarly a brand new high bitrate AVC release) and a lower bitrate VC1 encode look the same.

StoOgE

True HD per Dolby is up to 4x more efficient than lossless PCM. I think in practive TrueHD encodes are around 5mbits tops... dont know about LPCM tracks, but I'd imagine they push about 12.

Edit: your AVC link says its up to 2x more efficient than Mpeg2.

VC1 is over 3x more efficient.

So, VC 1 is still an overall bitrate savings compared to AVC..

so a 50mbit Mpeg 2 encode would be a 25 mbit AVC encode and a 16 mbit VC1 encode..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom