• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus, DeathNote, chill. I own a PS3 and it's my primary game machine. I also own a dusty Wii.

I was just making the point that the console analogy is a bad one.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ignatz Mouse said:
Jesus, DeathNote, chill. I own a PS3 and it's my primary game machine. I also own a dusty Wii.

I was just making the point that the console analogy is a bad one.
well, i bet my wii is dustier than yours.

Snah

Banned
3/11 will be ugly for red. Could be the first 90%+ week for blu.

Blu-Ray:
Appleseed: Ex Machina
Dan In Real Life
Dogma
Gattaca
Hitman
I, Robot
Independence Day
No Country For Old Men
Sleuth

HD-DVD:
Bee Movie
Fletch
In the Valley Of Elah
Michael Clayton

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Snah said:

Dan In Real Life
Dogma
Gattaca
Hitman
I, Robot
Independence Day
No Country For Old Men
Sleuth

Bee Movie
Fletch
In the Valley Of Elah
Michael Clayton
It just isn't fair that week. I'm getting at least 3 of those up there.

I want Bee Movie though............ hurry up Paramount/Dreamworks, make the switch!

Raistlin

Suikoguy said:
Imation (aka TDK) is dropping HD-DVD media

http://www.warren-news.com/

:lol

Wasn't the main component of Toshiba's supposed 'plan' for keeping HD-DVD alive, putting HD-DVD burners in PC's?

Within the last week, we've seen the end of Sonic's HD-DVD authoring line of software (with the consumer version ditro'd by Roxio likely following suit) ... and now the leading maker of HD rewritable discs is dropping HD-DVD support too?

WOW

GuessWho

Snah said:

Blu-Ray:
Dan In Real Life
Dogma
Gattaca
Hitman
I, Robot
Independence Day
No Country For Old Men
Sleuth

HD-DVD:
Bee Movie
Fletch
In the Valley Of Elah
Michael Clayton

not really, they both suck. Except no country.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
DeathNote said:
trolls. butthurt hd-dvd supporters and 360 lovers perhaps?
Or people who don't cry over system sales and how their favorite is doing...?:lol also found what I was referencing it to
Replace Sony with HDDVD and witch up the sales:lol
image.php

Don't take it seriously. It just reminded me of it was all...:lol I didn't mean anything by it and sorry if you took it like Im some secret MS spy or not. Just reminded me off it was all. Could of pharsed it better I know.

One more quick question, When is the Paramount Exclusive deal up?

Anyword also on the LOTR Editions and another one popped in to my head...Star Wars. I haven't really been following all this stuff. Someone mentioned something about it the other day on Amazon, but that doesn't mean much

Snah said:
Settling at around 4:1 on "normal" weeks.

Should be relatively easy to get to 90+% on big blu-ray exclusive weeks.

Toshiba can't be looking at this and saying "gee, we can really turn this ship around". I would have to imagine all of this bullshit about them being aggressive with marketing and prices (yet not working, obviously) is just in order to get a fatter deal from the BDA.

They can be as delusional as they wish, but it will not be long before their share holders step in.

Snah

Banned
GuessWho said:
not really, they both suck. Except no country.

Err

Gattaca, No Country for Old Men, Independence Day, I, Robot....pretty big release week. I'm not talking about movies you like.

Snah said:

Blu-Ray:
Dan In Real Life
Dogma
Gattaca
Hitman
I, Robot
Independence Day
No Country For Old Men
Sleuth

HD-DVD:
Bee Movie
Fletch
In the Valley Of Elah
Michael Clayton

Appleseed will not be day and date.
Warner and all ;)

shintoki said:
Or people who don't cry over system sales and how their favorite is doing...?:lol also found what I was referencing it to
Replace Sony with HDDVD and witch up the sales:lol
image.php

Don't take it seriously. It just reminded me of it was all...:lol

One more quick question, When is the Paramount Exclusive deal up?

Anyword also on the LOTR Editions and another one popped in to my head...Star Wars. I haven't really been following all this stuff. Someone mentioned something about it the other day on Amazon, but that doesn't mean much

Strike two on the console crap.

As far as Star Wars last reliable rumor was that it would be good to remember that the Clone Wars cgi pilot hits summer of 2009 and they are planning a 3d theatrical release of the pilot.
It would be the time to lean toward.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Snah said:
Err

Gattaca, No Country for Old Men, Independence Day, I, Robot....pretty big release week. I'm not talking about movies you like.
I have to agree here. Thats not a week list right there at all. Maybe not like lets say Dark Knight coming out or some recent big hollywood blockbuster that you know will sell gangbusters but...they have a few of the older ones mixed in with one of your two big oscar picks

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Snah said:

Blu-Ray:
Dan In Real Life
Dogma
Gattaca
Hitman
I, Robot
Independence Day
No Country For Old Men
Sleuth
GET!

ManaByte

Gold Member
OokieSpookie said:
Strike two on the console crap.

As far as Star Wars last reliable rumor was that it would be good to remember that the Clone Wars cgi pilot hits summer of 2009 and they are planning a 3d theatrical release of the pilot.
It would be the time to lean toward.

No.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9408601&highlight=lucasfilm#post9408601
ManaByte said:
It won't be seen in HD until Lucasfilm says so, and not a moment sooner. And that will happen right before the live action TV series starts in order to build hype and fund the marketing and promotion of the series.

Here's how Lucasfilm works:

George wants to do something, say a new Star Wars movie or TV series. But George hates the Hollywood studios and wants to finance them himself. How does he do that? By selling videos, DVDs, books, and toys. Right before the need for cash arises; Lucasfilm will do a major licensing release be it a major toy rollout or big home video release. They'll take the profits from that release and pour it directly into George's current pet project.

The Star Wars Prequels were funded completely by Lucas and he got the funding from the Special Edition theatrical re-releases, home video releases, and Kenner's new line of action figures. How did he finance the Special Editions? Remember the VHS release of the OT where they preached that it would be the final time you can own the original trilogy? And the novels kicked off by Timothy Zahn's trilogy? Yup.

So around 2009 or 2010 there will be 3D theatrical re-releases of all six Star Wars movies. It'll be like the Special Edition releases; but spread across six months as opposed to three months like before. It'll be a huge "Star Wars is Back" hype thing for the first half of the year. And then right in time for Christmas you'll get your six Star Wars movies on HD along with a massive DVD boxed set (and yes, Yoda will be CGI in Phantom Menace). Then the following year, the live action TV series will premiere on FOX, ABC, or SciFi; whoever wins the bidding war.

Nicodimas

Banned
star wars is coming out after the criterion collection is released.
That is being released about the same time A dance of dragons and/or the next duke nukem game comes out.

Nicodimas said:
That is being released about the same time A dance of dragons and/or the next duke nukem game comes out.

So the day a Star Wars movie is announced on blu you will take a perma ban?

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

No ... it will actually happen eventually :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
OokieSpookie said:
You say no, but then you post a link that pretty much says the same thing that I did?
Are you off your meds?

You were talking about the shitty 3D animated Clone Wars series that's being crapped out in Singapore. They aren't releasing Star Wars in HD to promote that shit. They're holding off on the 3D re-releases of the MOVIES and the live action series.

The 3D movies are getting 4K (4096x2160) digital remasters by Lowry (Blade Runner: Final Cut got a 4K digital master as well), while the DVD editions were only 2K (2048x1080) masters. LFL is trying to future proof Star Wars by giving them the 4K masters. Yes, this means that the HD releases will look much better than the Cinemax HD broadcasts people are tying to sell burned onto BRD discs on eBay.

Lowry will not be done with the 4K/3D versions of the six movies until well after the crappy Clone Wars CG series debuts on the Cartoon Network, so hoping and praying to see Star Wars in HDM around that time is foolish.

No, you will get all six movies on HDM right in time for the premiere of the LIVE ACTION TV series on whatever network it shows up on.

ManaByte said:
You were talking about the shitty 3D animated Clone Wars series that's being crapped out in Singapore. They aren't releasing Star Wars in HD to promote that shit. They're holding off on the 3D re-releases of the MOVIES and the live action series.

The 3D movies are getting 4K (4096x2160) digital remasters by Lowry (Blade Runner: Final Cut got a 4K digital master as well), while the DVD editions were only 2K (2048x1080) masters. LFL is trying to future proof Star Wars by giving them the 4K masters.

Lowry will not be done with the 4K/3D versions of the six movies until well after the crappy Clone Wars CG series debuts on the Cartoon Network, so hoping and praying to see Star Wars in HDM around that time is foolish.

No, you will get all six movies on HDM right in time for the premiere of the LIVE ACTION TV series on whatever network it shows up on.

Nice to hear , Blade Runner was awesome work.
I for one hope that they do not release them all at once on blu when they do.
I kind of like looking forward to the next.
Sorry for being a prick, what you say makes sense.

Raistlin

Speaking of Bladerunner ...

For the BD release ... is there a difference between the 5-disc set, and the collectors box set (beyond the metal case)?

I'm trying to decide which to get.

Onix said:

For the BD release ... is there a difference between the 5-disc set, and the collectors box set (beyond the metal case)?

Just the statue thing and some pics and lithograph type thing.
Disks are the same

ManaByte

Gold Member
OokieSpookie said:
Nice to hear , Blade Runner was awesome work.
I for one hope that they do not release them all at once on blu when they do.
I kind of like looking forward to the next.

Ridley Scott mentions the 4K master early in his commentary, which certainly explains why it looks so jaw dropping.

And Star Wars will be a boxed set. LFL has been prepping the "Archival Edition" DVD boxed set since 2005, right after Ep3 was done. They originally planned to release it this past November for the 30th Anniversary, but the change to 4K masters from the previous 2K masters scrapped it and they are holding off until all six movies have 4K masters and have been converted to 3D for the theatrical re-releases. Also some of the color issues (Luke's saber in ANH) that were spotted in the DVD version also contributed for the wait for new masters to give ILM time to fix that stuff and make additional tweaks to the movies.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are 100% done now, but I haven't heard about the progress on Jedi and the prequels in about a year. But the people who have seen the 3D digital version of Star Wars say it looks better than you could ever possibly imagine Star Wars to look. Better than the best HD broadcast on Cinemax and better than Episode 3 looked digitally projected.

The original Archival Edition boxed set was at a minimum 12 discs, and LFL is using the Young Indy DVDs as a benchmark for the set (the Young Indy sets are PACKED with Documentaries and extras). They planned to include every single lost scene from the original trilogy, and there was also consideration of including the "Lost Cut" of Star Wars which still exists in the LFL archives and is vastly different from the original movie. Kind of like the Alien Quadrilogy set where you had two discs for each movie, with the possibility of additional extras discs on the table.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Onix said:

No, the briefcase just includes the same 5 disc set along with all the toys.

The content on the discs are identical.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
ManaByte said:
They originally planned to release it this past November for the 30th Anniversary, but the change to 4K masters from the previous 2K masters scrapped it and they are holding off until all six movies have 4K masters and have been converted to 3D for the theatrical re-releases.

1080p -> 4K -> 1080p for AotC and RotS? WHAT... THE... FUCK? Yes, let's spend a bunch of money to make them look worse. Brilliant.

Raistlin

OokieSpookie said:
Just the statue thing and some pics and lithograph type thing.
Disks are the same

thanks.

ManaByte said:
Ridley Scott mentions the 4K master early in his commentary, which certainly explains why it looks so jaw dropping.

And Star Wars will be a boxed set. LFL has been prepping the "Archival Edition" DVD boxed set since 2005, right after Ep3 was done. They originally planned to release it this past November for the 30th Anniversary, but the change to 4K masters from the previous 2K masters scrapped it and they are holding off until all six movies have 4K masters and have been converted to 3D for the theatrical re-releases. Also some of the color issues (Luke's saber in ANH) that were spotted in the DVD version also contributed for the wait for new masters to give ILM time to fix that stuff and make additional tweaks to the movies.

Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back are 100% done now, but I haven't heard about the progress on Jedi and the prequels in about a year. But the people who have seen the 3D digital version of Star Wars say it looks better than you could ever possibly imagine Star Wars to look. Better than the best HD broadcast on Cinemax and better than Episode 3 looked digitally projected.

The original Archival Edition boxed set was at a minimum 12 discs, and LFL is using the Young Indy DVDs as a benchmark for the set (the Young Indy sets are PACKED with Documentaries and extras). They planned to include every single lost scene from the original trilogy, and there was also consideration of including the "Lost Cut" of Star Wars which still exists in the LFL archives and is vastly different from the original movie. Kind of like the Alien Quadrilogy set where you had two discs for each movie, with the possibility of additional extras discs on the table.

0_0

That sounds AMAZING.

You mean to tell me Lucas is okay with the original (non-SE) versions seeing the light of day again? I wonder if they'll include some of the mistakes that were in the original theatrical version (some were fixed for VHS ... others for DVD). Stuff like Mark Hamill yelling 'Carrie' in one of the scenes, instead of 'Leia' :lol

Anyways ... if this is true ... DAY ONE. I'm expecting the BD release will be $199 ... and again ... DAY ONE!!!!

TAJ said:
1080p -> 4K -> 1080p for AotC and RotS? WHAT... THE... FUCK? Yes, let's spend a bunch of money to make them look worse. Brilliant.

I don't think all of the prequels were digital, let alone 1080p

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Onix said:

AotC was shot entirely on Sony FDW-F900 cameras. RotS was shot entirely on HDC-F950 cameras. Even the model photography at ILM was being done on them. Both are 1080p native. A tiny bit of TPM was shot digitally, too.
There was an incredible amount of press about it. How did you miss it?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Onix said:
0_0

That sounds AMAZING.

You mean to tell me Lucas is okay with the original (non-SE) versions seeing the light of day again? I wonder if they'll include some of the mistakes that were in the original theatrical version (some were fixed for VHS ... others for DVD). Stuff like Mark Hamill yelling 'Carrie' in one of the scenes, instead of 'Leia' :lol

Anyways ... if this is true ... DAY ONE. I'm expecting the BD release will be $199 ... and again ... DAY ONE!!!!

No, the "Lost Cut" is like a workprint. No finished effects at all (they show some clips from it in the documentary on the original DVD release), and very rough. It isn't something you'd want to watch all the time. It was under consideration for inclusion, but probably won't make it. But it is VERY different than the original release, very dark in parts too.

Onix said:

II and III got 2K masters because both were projected on 2K screens. LFL is doing 4K masters in the hopes that Sony will have their 4K projectors in US theaters by the time they're ready to re-release the movies. They already have 4K projectors installed on some theaters in Singapore. Again, it's also to future proof the movies for the time being.

ManaByte said:

You're literally making me drool.

Nicodimas

Banned
So the day a Star Wars movie is announced on blu you will take a perma ban?

Wow a little angry tonight?

No just Star wars is going to come in 2010 or so.

Suitcase edition is not worth it really...the metal case is plastic. Wait whats this talk about 4k?

Raistlin

TAJ said:
AotC was shot entirely on Sony FDW-F900 cameras. RotS was shot entirely on HDC-F950 cameras. Even the model photography at ILM was being done on them. Both are 1080p native. A tiny bit of TPM was shot digitally, too.
There was an incredible amount of press about it. How did you miss it?

I knew TPM was film, and that the RotS and/or AotC were digital ... but for some reason, I thought they were 2K or higher, not 1080p.

ManaByte said:
No, the "Lost Cut" is like a workprint. No finished effects at all (they show some clips from it in the documentary on the original DVD release), and very rough. It isn't something you'd want to watch all the time. It was under consideration for inclusion, but probably won't make it. But it is VERY different than the original release, very dark in parts too.

I can only hope some of the outtakes, or even early versions are made available. I didn't like the SE versions ... especially Jedi

II and III got 2K masters because both were projected on 2K screens. LFL is doing 4K masters in the hopes that Sony will have their 4K projectors in US theaters by the time they're ready to re-release the movies. They already have 4K projectors installed on some theaters in Singapore. Again, it's also to future proof the movies for the time being.

Ahh ... yeah, that's what I thought.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Snah said:
I thought 1080p was basically 2k?

Yes, but theatrical projection is going beyond 1080p. The world doesn't revolve around home video. Again, Sony has 4K projectors already in Singapore and they should be showing up in US theaters by the end of this year into the next.

Raistlin

Does anyone know a good site that lists the BluRay titles that are available outside of the US, but not here?

Be it titles that are HD-DVD-only in the US, or simply haven't made it here yet?

I'm thinking about ordering some imports.

Onix said:
1k = 1024 x 778
2k = 2048 x 1556
4k = 4096 x 3112
8k = 8192 x 6224

etc.

But Star Wars is filmed in 2.35:1 (I think) so it's not using 1556 lines. Hence, the digital transfer should be roughly pixel perfect from the source.

Also, the 2k DLP projectors in theaters are 2048 x 1080.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DarkJediKnight said:
But Star Wars is filmed in 2.35:1 (I think) so it's not using 1556 lines. Hence, the digital transfer should be roughly pixel perfect from the source.

Also, the 2k DLP projectors in theaters are 2048 x 1080.

Sony's CineAlta theater projector is 4x at the full 4096x2160 resolution and as said previously it is already deployed in Singapore and I'd expect to see it in the US this year (likely in the Sony-owned Lowes theaters first).

Their SXRD tech apparently CAN support 4096x2160 in the projectors; although their only released one so far only goes up to 1920x1080. Although with the technology available in the home we're likely to see High High Definition media in another ten years supporting 4096x2160 resolution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd like to think Lucas might release the original versions. probably not remastered or anything.

He has to keep adding things to persuade the fans to rebuy each time.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Onix said:
Does anyone know a good site that lists the BluRay titles that are available outside of the US, but not here?

Be it titles that are HD-DVD-only in the US, or simply haven't made it here yet?

I'm thinking about ordering some imports.
Like from Japan or Europe?
I'll see if I can find the Japanese release one I found a while back

Also...Neat...BluRays are Regional Free from the sound of it ^_^

Poona

shintoki said:
Also...Neat...BluRays are Regional Free from the sound of it ^_^

Sadly, no. This is where HD DVD has it good.

I really wanted to get The Brothers Grimm and Casanova from the US as for some unknown reason, they're not available in Australia.

I happened to come across a site that says they won't work for region B, which is a major bummer. Why lock catalogue titles? :( They've been available in Australia for ages on regular DVD.

Anyway a good site to find out if titles will play seem to be this one:

http://bluray.liesinc.net

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Star Wars BD on Ebay? Would they play on the Ps3? Depending on the price, I'm willing to do that if they work properly and look better than the dvds, which I'm assuming they will. I know Lucas will drag his feet on this.

I did a quick search on Ebay and found nothing. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom