• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Oh, those HD-DVD fanboys over at AVS never cease to bring the funny/ludicrous:

sounds like a sony/fox conspiracy
hope toshiba sues the **** out of them if it were the case

This SB is just creating floods of bitter tears everywhere!!! :lol

Thank you, Toshiba, for your n-th disappointment! I have always believed in you, invested in you, put all my trust in you, but you seem to let me down more and more lately. So sad...

This one is awesome! This ad was supposed to win the format war? :lol

rc213

If the Ad Engadget links to is the correct one then it's old, They just added the "Starting @ $149.99". I've seen it a few times on ESPN in the early a.m.

Costanza

Banned
teiresias said:
Oh, those HD-DVD fanboys over at AVS never cease to bring the funny/ludicrous:

This SB is just creating floods of bitter tears everywhere!!! :lol
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cosmic Bus said:
This is one of the two I ordered (the other was Paul Schrader's Cat People, which I've been waiting for a good price on). Out of Sight is definitely one of Soderbergh's better "Hollywood" films... possibly his best. The fantastic reviews for the HD-DVD helped push me to upgrade my DVD, along with this awesome custom cover I've been waiting to use. :)

Thanks. That's an awesome cover, shits all over the original one. I'll pick it up along with The Last Starfighter and Timecop.

Raistlin

Commercial didn't air in my area ... lolz.

BTW - I forgot to post something entertaining I saw while ordering my imports yesterday.

Where I ordered Children of Men for BluRay (AxelMusic in Denmark) ... they have a 'format war' percentage chart for HD DVD versus BD. Obviously its is anecdotal, since it only reflects their sales, but its still interesting to see some numbers for another country.

So ... here's the current numbers :p

FORMAT WAR

...................BLU-RAY.....HD-DVD
Weekly........80%...........20%
Yearly..........77%...........23%
-----------------------------------
Releases......258............165

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Midas

Onix said:
Commercial didn't air in my area ... lolz.

BTW - I forgot to post something entertaining I saw while ordering my imports yesterday.

Where I ordered Children of Men for BluRay (AxelMusic in Denmark) ... they have a 'format war' percentage chart for HD DVD versus BD. Obviously its is anecdotal, since it only reflects their sales, but its still interesting to see some numbers for another country.

So ... here's the current numbers :p

FORMAT WAR

...................BLU-RAY.....HD-DVD
Weekly........80%...........20%
Yearly..........77%...........23%
-----------------------------------
Releases......258............165

:lol :lol :lol :lol

What's more interesting is that last year, it was pretty much 40 percent Blu-ray and 60 percent HD-DVD so something has changed. :)

Raistlin

Midas said:
What's more interesting is that last year, it was pretty much 40 percent Blu-ray and 60 percent HD-DVD so something has changed. :)

Yeah ... I think it rhymes with playstation 3 :lol

Kolgar

I like Bob Garfield's (Ad Age's ad critic) take on Toshiba's Super Bowl ad:

Bob Garfield said:
Toshiba
Della Femina, Rothschild, Jeary & Partners, New York

Hey, it's the big game, so let's have the guys in our spot watching the big game! And we'll have some cheerleaders cartwheeling in the TV room, for no clear reason! All to advertise a product soon to be Blu-Rayed into extinction!

http://adage.com/garfield/article?article_id=124826

Note, it didn't even air in my area, and I'm glad. It would have just seemed... sad.

DrXym

I was looking forward to this HD DVD ad.

Would it be funny? Would it be clever? Would Toshiba use it to announce some amazing HD DVD equipped 360? Would they use it for some other earthshattering announcement?

The answer was no. It was a bland ad which seemed half-hearted at best. I can't imagine how this cost Toshiba 2 million to air. If it did it was a waste of money but it seemed like Toshiba were cutting corners by going for some economy regional airing. Probably the cheapest they could do it and still claim to be a Super Bowl ad.

I don't think Blu Ray has much to fear from this.

Kolgar

djkimothy said:
Sounds like the ad conceeds that Blu-ray won, else they'd be very aggressive with it.

To me it seems more like a moneyburn to fulfill an ad buy that perhaps Toshiba made before the Warner decision. Maybe they couldn't pull out; maybe they did scale it back to a regional airing. Maybe none of the above.

In any case, any Toshiba advertising from here on is likely only to drive prospects into stores where the salespeople will tell them to buy Blu ray instead.

The ship has tipped and there's no righting it now.

sif

avaya said:
Spectral £800...
2ih7cwo.gif

I don't really want to get the Spectral due to the price but it looks stylish as hell.

I don't know about you but Spectral stands are awesome and feel so solid that they are definately worth the price. My dad has a similiar one, however his one has a rectangular upper shelf and two supports for the TV, however the rest of the design looks identical. Really solidly built, with great design and materials. Over the past year we have had 4 TV's on it (a 42", 46", 50" and 52") and it has been able to adjust to fit all of them really easily. Would definately recommend.

DJ_Tet

Banned
The ad didn't air in Charlotte.

The only HD-DVD reference I saw was on the I Am Legend commercials.

Is that only coming out as a combo disc? As that's the only box art I saw.

Raistlin

djkimothy said:
Sounds like the ad conceeds that Blu-ray won, else they'd be very aggressive with it.

I can only assume that this ad was acutally a contractual obligation Toshiba had with the studios.

Since they know the war's as good as over, its quite likely they spent the least they could while still making their obligation. If that wasn't the situation ... then I simply don't understand why they bothered. That's just pissing away more money.

avaya

sif said:
I don't know about you but Spectral stands are awesome and feel so solid that they are definately worth the price. My dad has a similiar one, however his one has a rectangular upper shelf and two supports for the TV, however the rest of the design looks identical. Really solidly built, with great design and materials. Over the past year we have had 4 TV's on it (a 42", 46", 50" and 52") and it has been able to adjust to fit all of them really easily. Would definately recommend.

The dual support is the next model above, another £100. Im starting to lean towards this at the moment, rest of my flatmates say get it but I'm the only one paying for the stand!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Open, airy glass TV stands are all well and good when you don't have any wires to hook up your components...or a dust-free environment. :p

avaya

kaching said:
Open, airy glass TV stands are all well and good when you don't have any wires to hook up your components...or a dust-free environment. :p

Cable management! The dust is a huge problem though, but I can live with that.

sif

avaya said:
Cable management! The dust is a huge problem though, but I can live with that.

The spectral stands have loads of room to hide your cables, the only ones that might be a problem are your speaker cables and that is only because they will be outside the stand.

DJ_Tet

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
The ad didn't air in Charlotte.

The only HD-DVD reference I saw was on the I Am Legend commercials.

Is that only coming out as a combo disc? As that's the only box art I saw.

Doh, I knew that wasn't right. It was American Gangster that had the commercials.

edit: Damn, one of the last new HD-DVDs I wanted to buy gets gimped. It's a combo, but only the theater version is in HD. It has the extended version and all the extras on the DVD side. Also, the True HD soundtrack was removed.

Universal really going the extra mile to kill hd-dvd here...

Xisiqomelir

kaching said:

I just like being able to access back panels and replace components without feeling I'm reaching into the maw of a beast. Just bought this:

HAO1021_l.jpg

dallow_bg said:
Slowest day ever for this thread.

C'mooooooooooon news.

It can not be helped, the sheer power of the hd-dvd super bowl has shaken the very foundations of faith that people had in blu ray's future and people are just silent in their fear and uncertainty.

Xater

OokieSpookie said:
It can not be helped, the sheer power of the hd-dvd super bowl has shaken the very foundations of faith that people had in blu ray's future and people are just silent in their fear and uncertainty.

Come on! At least it resulted in some quality comedy on AVS and HDD. :lol

Xater said:
Come on! At least it resulted in some quality comedy on AVS and HDD. :lol

I haven't even checked AVS yet, HDD has been comedic gold like never before.

Oh, as far as news goes some Warner title announcements should hit tomorrow night/Wed morning.
No idea what they will be though.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xisiqomelir said:
I just like being able to access back panels and replace components without feeling I'm reaching into the maw of a beast. Just bought this:

That's quite nice looking. I'm going to put my TV up on the wall, but need a place to put receiver, PS3, Wii, 360, DVR, etc. Any recommended brands? I'll check out these spectral guys. Seems like modloft something or other has some decent stuff too.

avaya

AstroLad said:
That's quite nice looking. I'm going to put my TV up on the wall, but need a place to put receiver, PS3, Wii, 360, DVR, etc. Any recommended brands? I'll check out these spectral guys. Seems like modloft something or other has some decent stuff too.

I dunno if Spectral are available in the US. If you wall mount then you'll just be looking for a nice cabinet arrangement, try every for that sort of thing.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Xisiqomelir said:
So do I, but I have a wife now, and she doesn't even want to see the components, nevermind the cables...

Xisiqomelir

AstroLad said:

http://www.tvstands.com/View-All-Audio-Racks-and-Stands-C74180.html

You can select criteria on the left pane of the page. If you do find something you like, make sure to google the model number first, some places might beat the tvstands.com price, though they probably won't once you add shipping+tax.

kaching said:
So do I, but I have a wife now, and she doesn't even want to see the components, nevermind the cables...

That's why I'm getting all this stuff now :lol

Seth C

So, a local Wal-Mart has the HD-A2 and HD-A3 on clearance for $120. I could get one of those with two movies in the box, plus 5 free movies. It's a dead format, but tempting. Maybe I will hold off and see if they drop below $100...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom