• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Poona said:
Sadly, no. This is where HD DVD has it good.

I really wanted to get The Brothers Grimm and Casanova from the US as for some unknown reason, they're not available in Australia.

I happened to come across a site that says they won't work for region B, which is a major bummer. Why lock catalogue titles? :( They've been available in Australia for ages on regular DVD.

Anyway a good site to find out if titles will play seem to be this one:

http://bluray.liesinc.net
You mean HDDVD is the one which is which is Regional free? Well not gonna lie, Thats kind of sucky. I thought they were since PS3 games were.

ManaByte

Gold Member
mrklaw said:
I'd like to think Lucas might release the original versions. probably not remastered or anything.

He has to keep adding things to persuade the fans to rebuy each time.

He already did. The best you'll ever get from LFL is the 1993 LD masters in non-anamorphic video.

Doubledex

Banned
shintoki said:
Or people who don't cry over system sales and how their favorite is doing...?:lol also found what I was referencing it to
Replace Sony with HDDVD and witch up the sales:lol
image.php

Don't take it seriously. It just reminded me of it was all...:lol I didn't mean anything by it and sorry if you took it like Im some secret MS spy or not. Just reminded me off it was all. Could of pharsed it better I know.

One more quick question, When is the Paramount Exclusive deal up?

Anyword also on the LOTR Editions and another one popped in to my head...Star Wars. I haven't really been following all this stuff. Someone mentioned something about it the other day on Amazon, but that doesn't mean much
You can post some more " :lol :lol "
Still the same result:
SONY/Blu-Ray wins! HD-DVD sucks ;-)

Nicodimas

Banned
My favorite thing about Hd-dvd is it being region free. Even if hd-dvd does die and go niche there will be a ton of releases overall. It is one of the main reasons I picked HD over blu. It is cool having multiple releases of the same movie and picking the best copy. (One of the reasons I enjoyed the war)

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/
http://ukhddvd.blogspot.com/
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Terminator 2 on hd-dvd is a great example. 3 copies of one movie all having different attributes (Uk,French, and German versions). Earlier this week was able to pick up the Jack ryan collection via crave for 40 bucks shipped.

Plus for some reason Europeans releases are stellar ( Dts-Ma + great video transfers)

I am particularly looking forward to some of these hit Japanese movies to import in HD that will likely not be released in the American market.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Nicodimas said:
My favorite thing about Hd-dvd is it being region free. Even if hd-dvd does die and go niche there will be a ton of releases overall. It is one of the main reasons I picked HD over blu. It is cool having multiple releases of the same movie and picking the best copy. (One of the reasons I enjoyed the war)

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/
http://ukhddvd.blogspot.com/
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67

Terminator 2 on hd-dvd is a great example. 3 copies of one movie all having different attributes (Uk,French, and German versions). Earlier this week was able to pick up the Jack ryan collection via crave for 40 bucks shipped.

Plus for some reason Europeans releases are stellar ( Dts-Ma + great video transfers)

I am particularly looking forward to some of these hit Japanese movies to import in HD that will likely not be released in the American market.
It won't die and go niche.

It currently is niche and will die completely.
Build your collection while you can. I don't know why, but go ahead.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Onix said:
Actually, plenty of BD's are region free. Its up to the studio.
Oi? Oh okay then, Nm:lol Very nice. I don't know much about any of this stuff yet. I decided a bout two weeks ago to start looking it up and get all the info I need hehe

Raistlin

shintoki said:
Oi? Oh okay then, Nm:lol Very nice. I don't know much about any of this stuff yet. I decided a bout two weeks ago to start looking it up and get all the info I need hehe

BluRay has 3 regions:

400px-Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

A - North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Southeast Asia.
B - Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, plus all of Oceania.
C - India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central, and South Asia.

However, it is up to the studios what individual titles actually use region coding. So a number of releases have come out that simply use none at all.

Here's some links to help you find what ones are region free. Granted, they aren't all inclusive lists, but they are regularly updated.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/stats.php
http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Nicodimas

Banned
Got a Ps3. It is kind of cool its a blu-ray player with added ability to play games..:D
(Picked up CoD4 and Assasins Creed for the gamers)

Time to get those exclusives that I have been wanting.

Oh as a note this does not mean I do not support Hd-dvd. I will always support a competive market place. In my opinion, Competition between two hd-formats would lead to higher quality products <for cheaper>.

(dts-ma suport better come out Sony)

border

Nicodimas said:
In my opinion, Competition between two hd-formats would lead to higher quality products <for cheaper>.
You can make that case in the gaming market, because manufacturers have a vested interest in software sales and don't mind selling hardware at or below cost. For the world of movies, I don't think that's really the case. Split formats only scare consumers and subsquently prevent manufacturers from achieving the economies of scale they need to reduce price.

border said:
You can make that case in the gaming market, because manufacturers have a vested interest in software sales and don't mind selling hardware at or below cost. For the world of movies, I don't think that's really the case. Split formats only scare consumers and subsquently prevent manufacturers from achieving the economies of scale they need to reduce price.

His argument is complete crap.
Competition is not wanted in this field, the studios the retailers and everyone else has spoken.
The two format future has always been the idiotic argument of hd backers, and you see where it got them.

Raistlin

shintoki said:
Oh kool, thanks for that. Boommarked and saved

No problem.

I knew were that stuff was because I was just in the process of importing some titles :D Just got done as a matter of fact.

UK
* Pan's Labyrinth
- While this is available here, the UK encode has better video. First of all, the US version has MAJOR DNR (digital noise/grain reduction). Beyond the UK version keeping the integrity of the film grain, it also has a higher bit-rate encode (30something Mb/s iirc). Unfortunately, it only has a DD+ 5.1 soundtrack, unlike the US DTS-MA 7.1 soundtrack. Can't have everything I guess :p

Germany
*Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

*12 Monkeys

Norway
*Children of Men

:)

BTW - here's a list of movies with aggressive post-processing (DNR, EE, etc) - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=937873

Nicodimas

Banned
Is fifth element/pirates still messed up if bought from amazon btw or the new disc should all be fine?

How much will the laptop market play a role in this war. I always blew it off, but if Toshiba is expecting to Push 12 million laptops with hd-dvd..

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
You are really bloody awesome Onix:lol Thanks again.

Good choice on Perfume: Story of a Murderer...Kind of like a Tim Burton movie almost. The good ones that is...Dark fairy tale like with much dark humor:lol

Raistlin

shintoki said:
You are really bloody awesome Onix:lol Thanks again.

No problem, I'm glad to help. Actually, here's another link you might like. Its a list of movies that are HD DVD-only in the US, but available for BD in other regions.

'AVS Link of wowsomeness'

The list probably isn't exhaustive, and some of the links in the post don't work ... but that's okay. The best thing to do is correlate those titles with the list from 'BD Region B encoding info' ... and see which ones are region-free.

Good choice on Perfume: Story of a Murderer...Kind of like a Tim Burton movie almost. The good ones that is...Dark fairy tale like with much dark humor:lol

Glad to hear that ... I actually blind-imported it :lol I read some reviews, and figured it was right up my alley. If you're interested in getting it, I ordered it from 'AxelMusic'

The rest were ordered through Amazon of the appropriate countries. The great thing about Amazon is that your account actually works at all of their sites :)

Zen

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Is fifth element/pirates still messed up if bought from amazon btw or the new disc should all be fine?

How much will the laptop market play a role in this war. I always blew it off, but if Toshiba is expecting to Push 12 million laptops with hd-dvd..

You are fucking awesome. :lol:

I think the only reason you haven't been banned is the entertainment factor, and the mods get a kick out of seeing people freak out. :lol:

Zen said:
You are fucking awesome. :lol:

I think the only reason you haven't been banned is the entertainment factor, and the mods get a kick out of seeing people freak out. :lol:

Actually I think it is just the mods afraid of some kind of affirmative action lawsuit for banning the mentally defenseless.

Nicodimas

Banned
only reason you haven't been banned

The mods prolly realize that people having one opinion life sure would be boring. Why would I be banned? For taking a side and trying to support it. I am sorry I should do what popular children tell me too.

Smurfs <blu-ray people> scare me I buy into there product and they still put me down. No winning.

ManaByte

Gold Member
FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY found Edward Scissorhands on BRD!!!! :D :D :D :D

Watching it right now. Could care less about the movie in HD, but Danny Elfman's soundtrack + the HD video = :D :D :D :D :D :D

border

OokieSpookie said:
His argument is complete crap.
Competition is not wanted in this field, the studios the retailers and everyone else has spoken.
Competition wouldn't be terrible if both formats had the support of all studios, and it was a healthy competition that lasted a decade or more. But from the start there was never 100% support for either format and it was pretty clear that someone was going to lose hard within a few years.

Raistlin

border said:
Competition wouldn't be terrible if both formats had the support of all studios, and it was a healthy competition that lasted a decade or more.

The studios and retailers would never let that happen though, because its actually bad for them ... it would cost them more to support dual formats.

So in reality, it would actually be bad for everyone.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nicodimas said:
The mods prolly realize that people having one opinion life sure would be boring.
No, I think the mods just realize you're relatively innocuous. People siding with BD doesn't guarantee they have exactly the same opinion about all aspects of the format. We can still have the argument about the merit of extras if you'd like, always a hddvd fan favorite.

Forsete

What SlimLine BD-readers are there out right now? What kind does Sony use in their AR VAIO line? IIRC all the new AR Vaios have at least BD-readers.

I've only managed to find the Sony NEC BC-5500A.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nicodimas said:
The mods prolly realize that people having one opinion life sure would be boring. Why would I be banned? For taking a side and trying to support it. I am sorry I should do what popular children tell me too.

Smurfs <blu-ray people> scare me I buy into there product and they still put me down. No winning.
Meh, Some people take this too seriously where you can't say anything bad about what they like

And Smurfs...:lol

ONIXGod!!!, Thanks allot again. lol. All those sites are pretty nifty and neat. Definitely know a few more things now

DrXym

Onix said:
BluRay has 3 regions:

400px-Blu-ray_regions_with_key.png

A - North America, Central America, South America, Japan, Taiwan, North Korea, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Southeast Asia.
B - Europe, Greenland, French territories, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and New Zealand, plus all of Oceania.
C - India, Bangladesh, Nepal, Mainland China, Pakistan, Russia, Central, and South Asia.

However, it is up to the studios what individual titles actually use region coding. So a number of releases have come out that simply use none at all.

Here's some links to help you find what ones are region free. Granted, they aren't all inclusive lists, but they are regularly updated.

http://www.blu-raystats.com/stats.php
http://bluray.liesinc.net/

Region encoding stinks for users but you can see why studios might want it, especially when a movie isn't out of the cinemas in one region and they want to release it in blu ray in another.

An example would be Ratatouille where the US disc appeared while it was still screening in Europe. Europe doesn't even get the film on Blu Ray until next week.

Xater

The Main Event said:
Some excellent titles in there. My poor wallet.

Did anyone ever see Out of Sight? It's a Steven Soderbergh film, and I was always intrigued by it. The film and the disc itself got rave reviews.

I did. It's a fun movie but nothing I would absolutely have to own.

Anecdotes from yesterday's trip to Best Buy (picked up King of Kong and Curb)

HD-DVD displays were still there, up and running and had a decent sized crowd watching.

HD-DVD section was being browsed by a good few families who were obviously casual consumers, in fact it was the first time I couldn't get near the section due to heavy traffic.

Whilst buying my DVDs I saw another customer buying an A-30 two aisles down.

They now have Cars running on Blu-Ray, upscaled DVD and regular DVD all next to each other. I'm not sure what they did to the regular copy of Cars, though as it looked like mpeg-1 compression.

avaya

Need a new TV stand, when we get our new 46" Sony or Samsung.

MODUS £285
686655.jpg

OR

Spectral £800...
2ih7cwo.gif

I don't really want to get the Spectral due to the price but it looks stylish as hell.

oatmeal

Banned
Won Lost Blu Ray on eBay for 39.99. EXCELLENT!

Can't wait for that to appear this week.

Any word on the first two seasons coming out in HD?

Also, any Canadians here get their free 5 Blu Rays? If so, how long roughly did it take? I shipped my stuff off just before Christmas.

Mmmkay

Blu-ray movies have finally crept into my local Sainsburys! I noticed today there were an awe staggering two to choose from, 3:10 to Yuma and Superbad. They were not casually lying around in the DVD chart like Woolworths do and they were as far away from the PS3 game section as possible, on their own row with 'Blu-ray Movie 1' and 'Blu-ray Movie 2' labels.

Snah

Banned
Apparently it wasn't aired nationally. lol.

What a waste of money.

"I saw it here in socal, i'm surprised bay area didn't see it. It showed bourne identity and some other movies i think and then had a "buy it now for only 149.99!" hd-dvd player. It was pretty small, nothing extravagant."

Christopher

Aired after the halftime show it showed Shrek and Bourne. It was really forgettable.

I still can't believe the giants pulled it off though my god what an exciting game.

Snah said:
"I saw it here in socal, i'm surprised bay area didn't see it. It showed bourne identity and some other movies i think and then had a "buy it now for only 149.99!" hd-dvd player. It was pretty small, nothing extravagant."

Millions well spent, Toshiba.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The Main Event said:
Did anyone ever see Out of Sight? It's a Steven Soderbergh film, and I was always intrigued by it. The film and the disc itself got rave reviews.

This is one of the two I ordered (the other was Paul Schrader's Cat People, which I've been waiting for a good price on). Out of Sight is definitely one of Soderbergh's better "Hollywood" films... possibly his best. The fantastic reviews for the HD-DVD helped push me to upgrade my DVD, along with this awesome custom cover I've been waiting to use. :)

Ckid

it was that stupid shrek add. what are you going to do after the game they say then they pop like shrek and bourne into a hd dvd player and start watching.

Snah said:
Apparently it wasn't aired nationally. lol.

What a waste of money.

They aired it up here in Seattle. The real kicker was that the commercial wasn't even in high definiton.

edit: It wasn't the Shrek ad, it was a brand new one. It was aired after half-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom