• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mifune

Mehmber
It's a shame that Jesse James doesn't look that great. But the reviewer does mention that it's still a huge improvement over the DVD, so there's that.

charliewilsonswarr1art3.jpg

charlie_hd.png

mr stroke

dallow_bg said:
www.bello.com

My TV stand.
51ARXBn2SJL._SS500_.jpg

My AV rack.
AT-484-closeup.jpg

I had the same top stand, and they look great in the store and in the pics, but I had a pain in the ass trying to hide cables. When that stand is pushed up against the wall its near imposible to hide wires if you have a full set up(recevier,HD,BR,cable box)

Ckid said:
i dont know why they didnt make the super bowl commercial more like that

It is kind of sad that so many of the movies shown in clips and alluded to on that site are gone with the wind (which is also Warner if I am not mistaken)

Raistlin

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Welcome to the end of the war. I haven't bought a single disc since the Warner announcement.

?

There's been a several BOGO's and 1/2 off sales since the Warner announcement.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Xisiqomelir said:
That's why I'm getting all this stuff now :lol
And why I've been getting rid of mine :(

In fairness, I've got the TV hung on the wall now, routed the wires through the wall, now all I need is a low component stand that I like and it'll be a nice clean look. There's plenty of closed cabinets that are open in the back for cable management, so I'm not concerned about access.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
teiresias said:
Because as we know, game prices and movie prices have always been linked like siamese twins. Your strawmen are growing frail.

The regular price of Sony's Blu-ray catalog titles did go up at Fry's right after the WB move. ($19.99 to $22.99)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Onix said:
?

There's been a several BOGO's and 1/2 off sales since the Warner announcement.

Brick and mortar? Where?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
TAJ said:
Brick and mortar? Where?
Frys, Amazon, JR, Fred Meyers and on and on and on.

There have been plenty of sales.

I just got my Evil Dead II and Dawn of the Dead BDs in and they were only 10.99 each.

mr stroke said:
I had the same top stand, and they look great in the store and in the pics, but I had a pain in the ass trying to hide cables. When that stand is pushed up against the wall its near imposible to hide wires if you have a full set up(recevier,HD,BR,cable box)
Oh, I have my methods! :)

Raistlin

TAJ said:
Brick and mortar? Where?

I ordered most of mine through Amazon, but I also picked up Cars and Ratatouille at Toys R Us as a BOGO. iirc, some other stores had some going on as well. Fry's, Best Buy? Not sure off the top of my head.

I've bought like 16 movies since the Warner announcement, so once those were ordered, I stopped looking :lol

12 were part of BOGO's ... and 4 were titles I bought from other countries because they weren't available here. :p 3 are HD DVD-only in the US, and the 4th (Pan's Labyrinth) was an encode by a different studio that is quite superior to the US rev.

bill0527

TAJ said:
Brick and mortar? Where?

Toys R Us had an in-store only Bogo a few weeks ago on Disney Blu-Ray titles. They were regularly priced $24.99 each. I used a $5 off coupon and got both Cars and Ratatouille for $21 and some change.

Best Buy and Circuit City haven't had any Bogos recently, but they are always running a selection of Blu-Rays on sale. I know this week that Best Buy has a handfull on sale for $14.99. I don't remember specific titles, but Goodfellas was one of them.

bill0527 said:
Toys R Us had an in-store only Bogo a few weeks ago on Disney Blu-Ray titles. They were regularly priced $24.99 each. I used a $5 off coupon and got both Cars and Ratatouille for $21 and some change.
That was a great sale, my Toys R Us let me use two of those $5 off coupons for two movies. So it was like $8 each movie. :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nicodimas said:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/140391/
25gig+ DD and major EE issues

Looks like it got brutalized.

Hopefully The hd-dvd will be slightly better Video + Dolby Digital Plus.

As much as I love warner I can't understand why they mess up the BRM releases so often. BR fans should be really ticked off at warner if this is what they are going to get from them. Or i guess me now..

I don't get the deal with 25GBs. HDDVD supporters were constantly whining about how most reference discs don't use up the full 30GB, so 25 should be fine. And there are quite a few quality discs that are not only 25GB, but MPEG2 as well. This is just a bad job by Warner, regardless of the tech specs

mrklaw

MrArseFace
kaching said:
Open, airy glass TV stands are all well and good when you don't have any wires to hook up your components...or a dust-free environment. :p

Assuming you're putting it against the wall, you could always create a 'false' wall with a bit of ply or similar, painted the same colour as the wall. then cables can go behind that, giving you good access when needed, but still discreet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
mrklaw said:
Assuming you're putting it against the wall, you could always create a 'false' wall with a bit of ply or similar, painted the same colour as the wall. then cables can go behind that, giving you good access when needed, but still discreet.
Thanks, I actually put the a/v cables through the wall - had access from the other side because we are renovating that room and it was a complete teardown to the studs.

Open glass presentation still isn't going to work for me though because the wife doesn't want to see the components themselves. So I'm still looking for the ideal cabinet replacement.

E-phonk

Banned
Forsete said:
Axelmusic or HD Movie Source.

A word of warning for Amazon, I hear the customs like to snap up their packages - which means if you live in a communist country like I do, you have to pay TAX.
Thanks!

Forsete

I just watched TAoJJbtcRF and wow.. what a movie. Just my type of movie, I had a feeling I would like it. Mind you, dont expect it to be a high action Yuma or anything, totally the opposite.

If you think its something for you I highly recommend you to grab it and watch it.

Talk about going in thinking one thing of Jesse James, coming out and thinking something else. :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Xisiqomelir said:
http://www.tvstands.com/View-All-Audio-Racks-and-Stands-C74180.html

You can select criteria on the left pane of the page. If you do find something you like, make sure to google the model number first, some places might beat the tvstands.com price, though they probably won't once you add shipping+tax.

That's why I'm getting all this stuff now :lol

Thanks nice site, Bello one is good too. Like others, my problem is that I prefer a clear setup, but at the same time need to conceal all the wires. Looks like there are a lot of options.

Insane Metal said:
(but no info on last week yet?)

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5511

HD DVD disc sales spiked this week on Amazon.com following a sale that cut 50 percent off more than 100 HD DVD titles.
Sales on Sun. spurred on discounted HD DVD titles, including Being John Malkovich, up 10,678 percent, Elizabeth, up 6,367 percent, Carlito's Way, up 5,199 percent, and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, up 4,455 percent.

Titles were priced as low as $14.95 in the latest promotion to move high-definition titles at retail.

Additionally, Amazon this week discounted the Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD Player to $121.00.

Toshiba this month price cut all stand alone HD DVD Players following an announcement from Warner Bros. that it will produce high-definition content exclusively on Blu-ray.

Circuit City told Punch Jump in Jan. it experienced strong HD DVD sales last week and will continue to sell HD DVD product at retail.

However, U.K. based retailer Woolworths in Jan. said that it will cease to offer HD DVD titles in favor of Blu-ray disc titles.

HD DVD players held a market share of 34.37 percent in the week ending Jan. 19 according to NPD Group Inc.

The figure stands behind Blu-ray disc player sales which accounted for the remaining 65.63 percent in the same period.

With players being fire-sold and costing as little as they do, I'm surprised that they didn't do better. Remember, standalone sales had been more in the range of 50:50 (with fluctuations) before the WB news.

avaya

Finally seeing that HD-DVD SuperBowl ad :lol

What the fuck was that. Seemed like some cheapskate gutter trash product ad you'd expect from people selling domestic appliances or something.

Everything about it was cheap, tacky and vulgar. No style, panache or glamour to it.

thaivo

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=40927
Originally Posted by 263629749
Ladies and Gentlemen, i'm in great honor to announce that Chinese HDDVD fans has taken the first step of 'piracy' HDDVD discs.
pictures first, than specifications.

OK, the fact is, according to HDDVD standards, there is a HDDVD-9 format available, which means we can use a normal DVD-9(9.6GB) to store Hi-Def content, the above picture is the first HDDVD-9 movie in process(not released yet), this title uses 3 DVD-9, have VC-1 1080P hi-def PQ, HDi, PiP. and we added Chinese dubbing and subtitle. it can be played on both HDDDVD players and computer DVD-ROM(not DVD player). we predict that in the future we will be able to copy BD movies and convert them into HDDVD discs.

This is the first step we took. although China mainland already had several HDDVD disc production line, yet we don't have much owners of HDDVD players or ROM. so, this HDDVD-9 Transformers is our pioneer. and i think HDDVD is the best choice for China.
I actually think this is a bad thing for HD DVD, as it will make Universal and Paramount quite nervous... I don't like piracy, but Pixar movies on HD DVD sounds quite inticing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom