• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaidenZR

My copy of The Brave One arrived early as hell this morning. I didn't even get a shipping notification until after it was in my hands! Amazon Prime wins!

avaya said:
Finally seeing that HD-DVD SuperBowl ad :lol

What the fuck was that. Seemed like some cheapskate gutter trash product ad you'd expect from people selling domestic appliances or something.

Everything about it was cheap, tacky and vulgar. No style, panache or glamour to it.
I just watched it on YouTube and that was indeed total shit. Could they have possibly found a cheesier voice-over?

Oh well, it's not like it matters.

OK, so Toshiba buys Super Bowl ads for HD DVD. Bu bu bu bu but they're in FUCKING windowboxed SD!! How are you going to talk up a high def product with a windowboxed standard def ad?

Epic fail Toshiba.. Epic Fucking Fail.

:lol

polyh3dron said:
OK, so Toshiba buys Super Bowl ads for HD DVD. Bu bu bu bu but they're in FUCKING windowboxed SD!! How are you going to talk up a high def product with a windowboxed standard def ad?

LOL I just realized that myself. What stupidity. They really do deserve to die.

Gattsu25

Banned
polyh3dron said:

:lol :lol

RaidenZR said:
My copy of The Brave One arrived early as hell this morning. I didn't even get a shipping notification until after it was in my hands! Amazon Prime wins!
Hope you enjoy Death Wish: Grrl Power Edition.

polyh3dron said:

The best is that people on avs and hddigest insist that Sony and Fox sabatoged it :lol

KZObsessed

What's everyones opinion on Zodiac? Didn't really pay any attention to it when it was out at the cinema, just found out David Fincher directed it (Fight Club, Se7en) I know, I've been living under a rock or something :lol

Sooo, rate it highly? Thinking of blind buying the director's cut when it comes out.

FFObsessed said:
What's everyones opinion on Zodiac? Didn't really pay any attention to it when it was out at the cinema, just found out David Fincher directed it (Fight Club, Se7en) I know, I've been living under a rock or something :lol

Sooo, rate it highly? Thinking of blind buying the director's cut when it comes out.

It's great, just don't expect an action flick. :p

oatmeal

Banned
I got Lost S.3 on Blu Ray for 40 bucks on eBay.

Looks great!

Awesome addition to my collection, and the extras are awesome.

Zodiac was my second favorite movie of last year, the first being Children of Men.

Having Zodiac released on hd-dvd the week that I got rid of all my hd-dvds and my 360 add on was pretty painful. I can't wait till Uni and Paramount see the
blue
light.

KZObsessed

Danne-Danger said:
It's great, just don't expect an action flick. :p

Is it more a psychological thriller? Heavy on the characterization?

I'll probably give it a go, its quite expensive tho, I might wait til it's cheaper.

KZObsessed

xS1TH L0RDx said:
Zodiac was my second favorite movie of last year, the first being Children of Men.

Having Zodiac released on hd-dvd the week that I got rid of all my hd-dvds and my 360 add on was pretty painful. I can't wait till Uni and Paramount see the
blue
light.

It's coming out on Blu-Ray in the UK. Warner so it's region free. Importing from the UK would cost a fortune for you guys tho I guess.

Nicodimas

Banned
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2008-02-04-blu-ray-format-war_N.htm

Really interesting article: Only 9.8 million disks sold on both formats with technically almost five million total player(1.4 million standalones)

I really really hope these stats don't include the free disks!

Hitman, due March 11 from Fox, is the first Blu-ray to include a digital copy of the movie that can be transferred to portables such as Apple's iPod.

Did not know about this..

Onix said:
?

There's been a several BOGO's and 1/2 off sales since the Warner announcement.

I was getting lots of 2 for $19.99 stuff before the announcement. These days it's all off of full-priced stuff, unless I've missed something.

Nicodimas

Banned
I was preety happy picking up the tudors on blu-ray and basically paying 55 bucks for it. I had paid a bit more for my import band of brothers<hd-dvd> in comparison.

I picked up my hd-dvd collection on sales so I waiting for one more great blu-ray sale. I think we should be more concerned still about where are all the releases! We have 450-500 on each side...with what another 60-70 coming in six months?

Zodiac was shot with Viper HD cameras, so no film transfer or anything took place. What you see on the HD DVD is exactly what was shot, save for the compression.

This, coupled with the striking cinematography is what makes it among the best looking movies in HD. That said, I'm waiting for the BD version unless I can get it for like $10.. I just can't keep putting money into a dead format.

tenchir

I just bought and setup my new television. It's a Samsung LNT-4069F with 120Hz technology. I am watching a few scenes from Pirates of the Carribean 3 on it with my PS3 and OMG it is awesome. Unfortunately it also show all the flaws of the SD channels on directtv...... :(

tenchir said:
I just bought and setup my new television. It's a Samsung LNT-4069F with 120Hz technology. I am watching a few scenes from Pirates of the Carribean 3 on it with my PS3 and OMG it is awesome. Unfortunately it also show all the flaws of the SD channels on directtv...... :(
Ahh you got the TV that does the cool 60FPS-faking effect.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
BoboBrazil said:
Nope. Only the XBR4/5 have it until the new models come out. It is called motionflow on the Sonys and auto motion plus on the Samsungs.
No. My SXRD has it, it came out last year.

I hate that motionflow crap.
I only set it to standard when watching television where it's actually beneficial.

Nicodimas

Banned
I just can't keep putting money into a dead format.

I could see this if you dont own a hd - player. I think this is a insane comment if you own a hdplayer. Your not going to buy cloverfield,Ironman, there will be blood also?

criticizing Toshiba for putting out a shitty ad

the ad may have been shitty, but really why would they spend that much on an ad and forget to go HD. Seems a bit ridicuious from my viewpoint.

^If you closely analyze those USA today numbers it looks like blu-ray finally has started having the same attach rates as HD-dvd.
4 million players sold blu to Hd-dvds 1
80:20 software sold-seems pretty cut and dry.

So HD-dvd with the lower prices just needs to catch up on the same amount of players sold to get caught up. Studio support is nice and all if they were releasing catalog titles and not 5-6/month each it would matter alot more, but nobody on the blu side sees the massive problem here. They are obviously losing money on each disk sold so are reluctant on the disks that are being released. 10 million disks sold that is nothing...

The good thing is HDM adoption is happening quicker than dvd adoption, which is very suprising. Kinda a blight in blu's argument that people wont buy into it because of the "war". The war is great advertising because people are essentially prideful and there company has to win.

Still waiting for Toshiba's great plan..

Nicodimas said:
I could see this if you dont own a hd - player. I think this is a insane comment if you own a hdplayer. Your not going to buy cloverfield,Ironman, there will be blood also?
I will - when they inevitably come out on BD.

Nicodimas said:
Still waiting for Toshiba's great plan..
Good luck with that!

Nicodimas said:
I'll wait for the BD versions.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Ironman isnt even out in theaters till may... by the time its out on home video it will be day and date blu-ray with the dvd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom