• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicodimas said:
:lol ok buddie...
Next ten years then? My point is that I'd rather have my movie collection on a viable hardware platform that can be replaced/repaired, as opposed to one that cannot because it is dead.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Good luck with that!

Cloverfield doesn't have a confirmed release date for anything yet ... and Iron Man isn't even in theaters. Who knows what will be going on by the time they hit?

As for There Will Be Blood, that will be on BluRay in the UK (and other regions). It will be interesting to see if there is region coding or not (or if a Japanese release gets set), as some Disney/Miramax releases have been region free.

Nicodimas

Banned
Please understand that there will be no HD-DVD exclusives.

Take this to heart and stop looking stupid.

Please take this to heart, there will be no blu-ray exclusives. Stop looking stupid.

Think harder before you type a response.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nicodimas said:
The war is great advertising because people are essentially prideful and there company has to win.
That doesn't extend to most people, it mostly applies to the early adopting, enthusiast crowd and it's a behavior you can only exploit for so long. Further to that, while they were playing at wargames, the DVD market was continuing to soften, probably negating the positive effect of HDM's growth rate in large part.

Nicodimas

Banned
Airing on the National Geographic Channel on February 10, 'Six Degrees' will make its home video debut on standard-def DVD in early April, and will be made available through normal retail channels.

You guys are barely putting up a fight...

Nicodimas said:
Please take this to heart, there will be no blu-ray exclusives. Stop looking stupid.

Yeah I guess it's not technically an exclusive any more when there's only one format left.

This is such a sorry excuse for a thread. I'm glad I'm not in love with a movie format and have no trouble buying movies regardless if the case is red or blue, as long as the price is right...

Snah

Banned
SlaughterX said:
This is such a sorry excuse for a thread. I'm glad I'm not in love with a movie format and have no trouble buying movies regardless if the case is red or blue, as long as the price is right...

I'm glad I picked the winning side and didn't waste money on two players and that we can now get behind a single format rather than defending a dead horse. But I'm glad that you're glad.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nicodimas said:
Ok sure thing there buddy.
What's with the attitude? I didn't come at you with any.

Looks at Ford vs Chevy. Pepsi vs Coke. Nike Vs adidas.etc.
You haven't even come close to establishing how any of that matters in any significant fashion to the majority. Because you haven't accounted for how those forms of competition don't penalize consumers if they choose to 'defect' to the other side, unlike the hddvd vs. bd war which has people potentially missing out on thousands of movies if they pick one format over the other, or have to recoup their movie investment if they picked the losing side and wanted to switch to the winning one. That kind of collateral damage is only going to work on a select few.

I didn't waste money either considering how all of my HD-DVD players work and play my collection of HD-DVDs. I'm glad you feel like a winner though. :)

Nicodimas said:

Joke chara confirmed. Next time save the typing and just post "No you!"

Nicodimas

Banned
they choose to 'defect' to the other side

This has been the best argument I have heard in awhile. (hd-dvd is dead is getting old-its actually making a good comeback too) This is also why I am worried for blu-ray people aren't going to understand why they can't play it in there dvd-players as it is a disk. I showed my bro it and he brought up the great point so many other had esp with children in the car and playing movies.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

Well, if you're in the mood for nit-picking, how about this? There will be no high def HD DVD exclusives ... but there will be BD ones.

Better?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
For a while there, I really thought were going to have two formats as the market stayed in a stalemate.

I was DREADING having to buy another f'ing player of media.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nicodimas said:
This is also why I am worried for blu-ray people aren't going to understand why they can't play it in there dvd-players as it is a disk.
I expect you'll end up "worrying" about that as much as you've worried over PC people trying to launch their software discs in a Mac, Wii people trying to stick their discs in a PS2, or any other combination of the above that you can think of.

Xater

polyh3dron said:
I'm importing TWBB and Iron Man will most likely have a BD import available too.

Iron Man will be on BD in Germany, so happy impoting.

And WTF happened to this thread again? Oh Nico....

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here's the news from the Warner conference. It was mainly about DVD, but they had some BRD stuff in it:
Starting in the 1st Quarter you'll see the Oscar and Gangster promotions, which will include the Bonnie and Clyde: Ultimate Collector's Edition (available on DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD) and the Bonnie and Clyde: Special Edition, along with such titles as the Goodfellas: Special Edition, the Heat: Special Edition, the Once Upon a Time in America: Special Edition, the Departed, the True Romance: Special Edition, the Film Noir Classics Collection: Volumes 1-4, the Warner Bros. Tough Guys Collection and the Warner Gangsters Collection (featuring titles like Public Enemy, Little Caesar, etc).

The Sinatra and Dirty Harry promotions will debut in the 2nd Quarter. Sinatra will include the Sinatra mini-series, along with the four box sets we revealed yesterday (The Early Years, The Golden Years, the Sinatra & Kelly Collection and the Rat Pack: Ultimate Collector's Edition - the Rat Pack: UCE will include "first-run" stamps, a music CD and other rare collectibles). The Dirty Harry promotion will include the Dirty Harry: 2-Disc Special Edition, the Magnum Force: Deluxe Edition, The Enforcer: Deluxe Edition, the Sudden Impact: Deluxe Edition and the Dead Pool: Deluxe Edition. All five films will also be included in a Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set, which will also feature the Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows bonus disc.

The 3rd Quarter will offer Superhero fans something exciting: a Batman Begins: Limited Collector's Edition Gift Set, as well as a Batman Anthology box set on Blu-ray Disc. These are obviously timed to coincide with the DVD and Blu-ray release of The Dark Knight. Additional superhero releases are TBA. The 3rd Quarter will also offer several Western releases, including a How the West Was Won: Ultimate Collector's Edition and a How the West Was Won: Special Edition, along with such titles as The Searchers, The Wild Bunch, The Cowboys, an Errol Flynn Westerns Collection and a Western Classics Collection. Finally, the 3rd Quarter will see a Music promotion featuring new special editions of An American in Paris and Gigi, as well the debut of the Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory: Volume 3 box set, featuring Hit the Deck, Kismet, Deep in My Heart, Broadway Melody of 1936/Broadway Melody of 1938, Born to Dance/Lady Be Good and Nancy Goes to Rio/Two Weeks with Love.

Rounding out 2008, the 4th Quarter will see the debut of a new DVD Horror collection with titles featuring Boris Karloff, Peter Lorre and others, as well as more horror releases from Val Lewton and Joel Silver, re-promotion of Kubrick's The Shining and a number of new Raw Feed direct-to-DVD and Blu-ray titles, including Otis: Uncut. The 4th Quarter will also see a Warner Bros. Holiday Collection and A Christmas Story: Ultimate Collector's Edition.

As part of the year's overall slate, more than 50 new-to-DVD feature films will be restored and released from the Warner catalog alone, including such titles as All This and Heaven Too, The Beast with Five Fingers, Black Legion, Brother Orchid, Deception, Flamingo Road, Gold Diggers of 1937, Inside Daisy Clover, Kid Galahad, Lady Killer, The Mayor of Hell, Night Nurse, None But the Brave, Pete Kelly's Blues, San Antonio, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Three on a March, Virginia City and Watch on the Rhine.

Other titles set to be given special edition treatment this year are Cool Hand Luke, Gypsy, Risky Business, Splendor in the Grass and others yet to be announced. Additional thematic box sets will be drawn from Warner's classic MGM and RKO collections. It was also revealed that a collection of Natalie Woods titles is in the works.

Several special events will be held throughout the course of the year, including an August 31st Warner Big Picture night at the Hollywood Bowl, celebrating the studio's musical legacy. The highlight of the year's events will be the broadcast and DVD release of Richard Schickel's 5-part documentary You Must Remember This: The Warner Bros. Story on the history of the studio, narrated by Clint Eastwood. The broadcast version will debut as a 3-part special in September, as part of PBS's American Masters series. As part of last night's event, Schickel gave the media a 10-minute sneak peek at a portion of his documentary series examining Warner films in the context of World War II.

The studio also revealed during the event that last year's Blade Runner: Ultimate Collector's Edition and Harry Potter: Ultimate Collector's Edition were tremendously successful releases, generating more than $20 million in combined sales in the 45-day period over the holidays.

In terms of new titles in the year ahead, you can obviously look forward to the DVD and Blu-ray debut of such theatrical release films as The Dark Knight, Speed Racer, Get Smart, Where the Wild Things Are, 10,000 B.C. and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Price, later in 2008 and early 2009.

Finally, studio reps revealed that The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Woodstock and North by Northwest are all soon going on moratorium until 2009, when each of them will reappear in day and date DVD and Blu-ray releases, with complete high-definition restorations to celebrate their own individual anniversaries.

So no Batman Begins until TDK comes out on BRD/DVD.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
ManaByte said:
Here's the news from the Warner conference. It was mainly about DVD, but they had some BRD stuff in it:

So we're getting Batman 1 as well?
As in, the original.

ManaByte

Gold Member
dallow_bg said:
So we're getting Batman 1 as well?

All Batman movies that Warner owns (Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight). It's up to FOX to release the awesome 60's Batman Movie on BRD!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
warner PR said:
As part of the year's overall slate, more than 50 new-to-DVD feature films will be restored and released from the Warner catalog alone, including such titles as All This and Heaven Too, The Beast with Five Fingers, Black Legion, Brother Orchid, Deception, Flamingo Road, Gold Diggers of 1937, Inside Daisy Clover, Kid Galahad, Lady Killer, The Mayor of Hell, Night Nurse, None But the Brave, Pete Kelly's Blues, San Antonio, Thank Your Lucky Stars, Three on a March, Virginia City and Watch on the Rhine.

Other titles set to be given special edition treatment this year are Cool Hand Luke, Gypsy, Risky Business, Splendor in the Grass and others yet to be announced. Additional thematic box sets will be drawn from Warner's classic MGM and RKO collections. It was also revealed that a collection of Natalie Woods titles is in the works.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so it's for DVD but I've wanted that movie since FOREVER! Finally on disc!
And really happy to see a new version of Splendor in the Grass. I love it!
manabyte said:
It's up to FOX to release the awesome 60's Batman Movie on BRD!
Hehe, that's a must own!

ManaByte

Gold Member
dallow_bg said:
Hehe, that's a must own!

FOX is still retarded for not releasing the whole series on DVD. Fuck I'd buy the whole thing in one shot for a couple hundred dollars if they'd just get off their ass and release it.

I am upgrading my TV to one of the top Sony's in about 2 weeks. What Blu-ray's should I get to give it a test run to make me smile? I would love one big action blockbuster and also one, possibly slow paced that would really impress visually. I am European but I don't mind importing once it will work on a PAL PS3

BTW, I already have Planet Earth, and am holding of looking at that till I get the TV :D

Gav

Keyser Soze said:
I am upgrading my TV to one of the top Sony's in about 2 weeks. What Blu-ray's should I get to give it a test run to make me smile? I would love one big action blockbuster and also one, possibly slow paced that would really impress visually. I am European but I don't mind importing once it will work on a PAL PS3

BTW, I already have Planet Earth, and am holding of looking at that till I get the TV :D

I personally think that Sunshine and Shoot-Em-Up are the best looking Blu-Rays i have seen to date.
Ratatouille is out here on Monday, so that may be up there too.

Snah

Banned
I hope Batman Begins is released individually to coincide with the theatrical release of The Dark Knight.

That being said, having the entire Batman collection on Blu-Ray this fall is absolutely huge and I'm glad they're going ahead and releasing their catalog titles for it.

Gav said:
I personally think that Sunshine and Shoot-Em-Up are the best looking Blu-Rays i have seen to date.
Ratatouille is out here on Monday, so that may be up there too.

Will get those two then! Will poke around here looking for Ratatouille info too... great thread guys!

DJ_Tet

Banned
polyh3dron said:
OK, so Toshiba buys Super Bowl ads for HD DVD. Bu bu bu bu but they're in FUCKING windowboxed SD!! How are you going to talk up a high def product with a windowboxed standard def ad?

Epic fail Toshiba.. Epic Fucking Fail.

:lol

It's a good thing it didn't air in my area then, I can't remember a SD ad that aired during the Super Bowl. Maybe 2 at the most.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ManaByte said:

still nothing on the matrix?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dallow_bg said:
I was DREADING having to buy another f'ing player of media.

It's not a big deal, unless you are starved for money/space. I picked up the Ps3 last year and my wife and I haven't had any issues at all. The only problem so far is the high price of BD players preventing me from picking up a 2nd one for my room. I'm getting a 2nd HD DVD player when they hit $99. I'm happy that I don't have to wait for ANY movie that comes out in high def. If I had the patience to wait, I wouldn't have been an early adopter in the first place.

It's somewhat cumbersome, yeah, but a lot of folks have players that are obsolete. Heck, even Bill Hunt has a Laserdisc collection he is holding on to. So I'll hang on to my HD DVD collection as well. I thought about selling the stuff off, but I'm glad I didn't.

as someone who has owned one....it isn't...its a POS in my opinion....if your really desperate, buy a stand-alone player instead

How so? The PQ on it is great, and it had less playback issues than the A3 I toyed around with this weekend.

Gattsu25 said:
No. They are taking $80 of the customers' money. Your joke really sucked...I'm sorry.

Oh then its robbery. Fire sale or no, this is a horrible proposition.

At Best Buy last night they at least had the decency to warn people away from HD-DVD at this point.

Nicodimas

Banned
e 3rd Quarter will offer Superhero fans something exciting: a Batman Begins: Limited Collector's Edition Gift Set on DVD and Blu-ray Disc, as well as a Batman Anthology box set of all the feature film titles on Blu-ray Disc. These are obviously timed to coincide with the DVD and Blu-ray release of The Dark Knight

All five films will also be included in a Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition box set (available in DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD), which will also feature the Clint Eastwood: Out of the Shadows bonus disc.

Starting in the 1st Quarter, the Oscar and Gangster promotions will include the Bonnie and Clyde: Ultimate Collector's Edition (available on DVD, Blu-ray and HD-DVD) and the Bonnie and Clyde: Special Edition, along with such titles as the Goodfellas: Special Edition, the Heat: Special Edition, the Once Upon a Time in America: Special Edition, the Departed, the True Romance: Special Edition, the Film Noir Classics Collection: Volumes 1-4, the Warner Bros. Tough Guys Collection, the Warner Gangsters Collection (featuring titles like Public Enemy, Little Caesar, etc) and more.

The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Woodstock and North by Northwest) are all soon going on moratorium. The good news is, each will reappear in 2009 in day-and-date DVD and Blu-ray Disc releases

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

KZObsessed

Q2 - Dirty Harry: Ultimate Collector's Edition Box Set

Q3 - Batman Begins: Limited Collector's Edition Box Set
- The Dark Knight

Hell motherfucking yeaaaaaaaaah!

(Still need Matrix and V for Vendetta tho.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom