• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher

Gattsu25 said:
No. They are taking $80 of the customers' money. Your joke really sucked...I'm sorry.

Actually I thought it was pretty funny - did Krypt hurt your feelings? :*(

Awesome about the Batman movies on BRD - I want Batman one and two - hopefully they sell them individually like they did on DVD.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Any details of what the Blu Ray Batman Begins will have over the HD DVD one? I'd be willing to trade up to the Blu Ray if its worth it.

ManaByte

Gold Member
As Nicodemus posted, Bill Hunt has updated his article to clarify exactly what is DVD and what is BRD. When he posted the article at midnight last night his original text wasn't clear on what was what.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dallow_bg said:
The add-on is sold out on Amazon now.

Like I said, it's a good pickup for someone with an Xbox 360. That + Netflix (for those who don't want to buy movies in that format) and you'll be set until Para/Uni/Dreamworks start publishing on BD, and get the already released films out on BD.

Gattsu25

Banned
Christopher said:
Actually I thought it was pretty funny - did Krypt hurt your feelings? :*(
It wasn't funny, though. It's a particular blend of humor that has been popping up in recent years...people take these 'wars' too personally and often with absolutely creepy or pathetic results. On the gaming side, sales-age and the unfunny photoshops that are now lauded for their creativity (oh look, it's a company spokesperson's head photoshopped on a GIF from a movie!!). In here it's snide snipes at people from 'one side' or unneeded and dull derisive remarks against a format. It boils down to unfunny 'jokes' that gain their humor *solely* from the readers' fanatical perspective.

"Were they paying the customer $80?"

What are we in? 2nd grade?

As far as your insinuation that I have a vested interest in HD-DVD (or that the jab at HD-DVD insulted my fanatical nature)....I have a PS3 and over 12 BluRay films, I have no HD-DVD player nor would I fucking want one. I'm not like SlaughterX who cries foul, claiming to be uninterested in the side being mocked, while owning like 12 fucking HD-DVD players...I speak with my wallet and my purchases have shown that I am 'loyal' to BR...but that doesn't mean that petty and immature fanboy remarks don't annoy me. The comment is immature and tired...it's not funny nor was the comment necessary...HD-DVD is dying but that doesn't grant everyone free reign to gloat without putting at least a semblance of thought into their snide remarks.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gattsu25 said:
It wasn't funny, though. It's a particular blend of humor that has been popping up in recent years...people take these 'wars' too personally and often with absolutely creepy or pathetic results. On the gaming side, sales-age and the unfunny photoshops that are now lauded for their creativity (oh look, it's a company spokesperson's head photoshopped on a GIF from a movie!!). In here it's snide snipes at people from 'one side' or unneeded and dull derisive remarks against a format.

'Did they pay the customers?'

What are we in? 2nd grade?

As far as your insinuation that I have a vested interest in HD-DVD (or that the jab at HD-DVD insulted my fanatical nature)....I have a PS3 and over 12 BluRay films, I have no HD-DVD player nor would I fucking want one. I'm not like SlaughterX who cries foul, claiming to be uninterested in the side being mocked, while owning like 12 fucking HD-DVD players...I speak with my wallet and my purchases have shown that I am 'loyal' to BR...but that doesn't mean that petty and immature fanboy remarks don't annoy me. The comment is immature and tired...it's not funny nor was the comment necessary...HD-DVD is dying but that doesn't grant everyone free reign to gloat without putting at least a semblance of thought into their snide remarks.
So serious about this format war.

Gattsu25

Banned
dallow_bg said:
So serious about this format war.
Actually, I use this thread to learn about new BR releases and impressions/reviews. I deal with the fanboy bullshit on the gaming side, though I sometimes complain...to see the same level of immaturity on the OT is disheartening.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Gattsu25 said:
Actually, I use this thread to learn about new BR releases and impressions/reviews. I deal with the fanboy bullshit on the gaming side, though I sometimes complain...to see the same level of immaturity on the OT is disheartening.
Welcome to the NeoGAF. People joke.

I suggest AVS if you want less jokes.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Don't be so serious then.

What do want impressions of? Ask and you shall receive.
I have over 50 BD films.

There really hasn't been much in the way of impressions here, and very little news except for that Warner bit last night.

Nico and Slaughter entertain in the interim.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Gattsu25 said:

The problem here is that streams cross in terms of consoles. The Ps3 fanboys like snah will be here too. Ditto for anti-Sony fanboyy. Ps3=Blu Ray at this point. There is a separate movie discussion thread that I truly wish was posted in more, since the discussion there is purely about movies and not the format war.

I think I'll start posting sales and news stuff about movie announcement there as well, since this thread has already served its purpose as a format war discussion thread.

What do want impressions of? Ask and you shall receive.
I have over 50 BD films.

Do you have any of these:
Corpse Bride
Lethal Weapon
March of the Penguins
Enter the Dragon
?

If so, general impressions on the PQ and supplements would be nice. they're on sale at Amazon.

For folks on the Red team, impressions on these if available:
Inside Man
Eternal Sunshine
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
The problem here is that streams cross in terms of consoles. The Ps3 fanboys like snah will be here too. Ditto for anti-Sony fanboyy. Ps3=Blu Ray at this point. There is a separate movie discussion thread that I truly wish was posted in more, since the discussion there is purely about movies and not the format war.

I think I'll start posting sales and news stuff about movie announcement there as well, since this thread has already served its purpose as a format war discussion thread.
Yes, that thread needs to be nurtured actually.

KZObsessed

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?
KlintIndifference.gif

Gattsu25 said:
It wasn't funny, though. It's a particular blend of humor that has been popping up in recent years...people take these 'wars' too personally and often with absolutely creepy or pathetic results. On the gaming side, sales-age and the unfunny photoshops that are now lauded for their creativity (oh look, it's a company spokesperson's head photoshopped on a GIF from a movie!!). In here it's snide snipes at people from 'one side' or unneeded and dull derisive remarks against a format. It boils down to unfunny 'jokes' that gain their humor *solely* from the readers' fanatical perspective.

Yeah who's taking it seriously? The joker or the person that complained about a joke?

For the record, don't ever expect matooore humor here from me. :lol

Too much crying here.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Ignatz Mouse said:
So Gattsu is too serious if he finds the humor immature?

Give the guy a break.
Serious enough to write such a long post about it.
He can just roll his eyes like I did.

I thought it was unfunny too. But I'm not posting about it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
SLIGHT TOPIC DEVIATION (SORRY):

Last night, another poster was asking about where he could get a bargain HDTV tuner for a tuner-less Toshiba HDTV and I found an incredible Samsung bargain that will probably be useful for a number of folks in this thread:

Samsung tuner/DVD-r - Less than $100 bucks, built in one-touch DVD recording, ATSC and QAM tuner, Firewire in, HDMI and upscaling. This thing does a lot of cool shit.

http://www.refurbdepot.com/productdetails2.cfm?Product_ID=5675

I've ordered from these guys before.

$100!

DVD-AR650

HD Upconversion DVD Recorder/Player, ith built-in ATSC Tuner, +/-R Dual layer recording, Progressive scan, HDMI output, DV input, Multiple Format.
Quantity
Our Price: $97.95
List Price:$329.99
You Save: 70.3%!
Product Details

• Samsung's DVD-AR650 single-disc, multiple format DVD recorder with built-in tuner is the perfect way to join the digital revolution. Recording on +/-R dual layer discs gives you up to 14 hours of entertainment; and with HDMI selectable upconversion to 720p or 1080i resolution, you can take full advantage of your high definition display.
• =========================================================
• Don't Let This Revolution Pass You By
• Samsung's DVDAR650 single-disc, multiple format DVD recorder is the perfect way to join the digital revolution. A built-in NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner allows reception of analog and digital broadcasts, as well as unencrypted digital cable signals. The +/-R dual layer recording and front DV (IEEE1394) input features let you record TV shows and add home video to a DVD disc for more than 14 hours of programming. Favorite shows can be captured immediately with the 1 second EZ record feature. Playback is amazingly clear with true color reproduction, thanks to Samsung's EVQ (Enhanced Video Quality) and progressive scan output features. Cable box control, using the included IR blaster cable, turns on your cable box and changes channels to record at a preset time, letting you record with only one remote control.
• Name That Format
• Full multiple format recording works with almost any type of recordable disc you choose. The DVDAR650 records on DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, and DVD+R discs. Dual layer recording lets you record on -R dual layer discs for more than 14 hours of programming. When you're finished recording your personal masterpiece, you can relax and watch a wide variety of discs. You can play DVD video, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R/RW, CD-DA, MP3, WMA and JPEG discs. Since the DVDAR650 is DivX Certified, you can also play DVDs or CDs that have DivX movies downloaded via computer and enjoy watching them on the large-scale TV.
• And Speaking Of DivX
• DivX is a digital media format that puts the tools of digital expression directly into the hands of the people. Since 1999, a global following has embraced DivX as a way to free digital video from the constraints of physical media. Today, DivX technology lets millions of people share in a vivid flow of events and ideas, projected through images that come alive to inspire, amuse, inform, educate and entertain. Since its inception, DivX has been among the world's most popular video technologies and has been downloaded over 200 million times. DivX is helping to redefine the media experience by enabling anyone to create, share and play highly-compressed, high-quality video content. DivX technology now powers an entire ecosystem of interoperable products and services, from a secure digital video distribution solution to tens of millions of consumer electronics devices and popular video software applications. But DivX isn't just a technology. It's a global community informed by creativity and passion for all that is possible with digital media, and that community is growing in strength and number every day.
• Resolution Booster
• The DVDAR650's HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) output transfers high definition (720p/1080i) video and multichannel audio from your DVD recorder to your TV, home theater, or other digital components. Simply connect the recorder to your home theater system with a single cable for high quality picture and sound transfer. An HDMI CEC function allows for all products in the system to discover and communicate with each other. The HDMI output also makes possible high definition upconversion, taking the 480p resolution of ordinary DVDs up to selectable 720p or 1080i. The DV (IEEE 1394) input on the front panel lets you edit and record from a digital camcorder directly onto a DVD through a single cable--without losing image quality.
• When You Press REC--It Does!
• Samsung DVD recorders feature One Touch Recording that makes recording easier and faster than ever. With just one press of a button, the DVDAR650 automatically searches the available space on the disc and starts recording the selected program--in as little as one second. Press the REC button once to record up to 30 minutes. Each time you press the REC button, another 30 minutes is added to the recording time, up to a maximum of 240 minutes depending on the recording mode. Once One Touch Recording is completed, simply press the PLAY button to watch the program you just recorded. It's just as easy to copy video from your digital camcorder by using the DV input jack (IEEE 1394-4 pin). Pop in a recordable disc, select the recording mode, select DV input, start camcorder playback, and press REC on the DVDAR650's remote control to start recording. You can't change the recording mode or input source while recording and recording will stop if there's no free space left on the disc. Recording will also stop if a copy-protected image is selected.
• There's Always A Trade-Off
• You can set the DVDAR650 to one of five different recording speeds, each varying in image quality and recording length. EP mode yields the most recording time, LP and SP modes provide less recording time with higher quality recording, and XP mode gives you the highest quality recording. There's also the FR (Flexible Recording) mode that lets you record with the best picture quality possible for the recording time and remaining space on the disc in timer recording.
• It's Up To You
• The DVDAR650's integrated menu system and the messaging function allows you to perform desired operations both easily and conveniently. With a DVD-RAM or DVD-RW (VR mode) disc, you can edit recorded images, create a playlist, and edit videos in a specific sequence just the way you want them
• SPECIFICATIONS
• Multiple Format Recording (DVD-RAM, DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW)
• HDMI Upconversion 720p/1080i
• Plays DVD Video, DVD +/-R, DVD+/-RW, DVD-RAM, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, MPEG4, WMA, JPEG
• HDMI/Component/S-Video/Composite Outputs, DV (IEEE 1394)/S-Video/Composite (2) Inputs
• Optical/Coaxial Digital Audio Outputs, Audio Outputs/Inputs (2/2)
• Built-In NTSC/ATSC/QAM Tuner
• Auto Chapter Creator
• Remote Control Included
• HDMI CEC Function
• IR Blaster Cable For Cable Box Control
• +/-R Dual Layer Recording
• Progressive Scan DVD
• One Touch Recording
• EZ Record Function
• Auto Fit Recording
• DivX Certified Playback
• Front DV Input For Digital Camcorder Transfer
• MPEG-II Picture Compression Format
• Dolby Digital 2-Channel/256 kbps Audio Compression Format
• Up To 16 Hours Recording Time (Double Sided 9.4 GB DVD-RAM)
• Parental Control
• Slow Motion Play
• Step Motion Play
• Dimensions: 16.9" W x 2.3" H x 12.0" D
• Weight: 7.1 lbs

Raistlin

Ignatz Mouse said:
So Gattsu is too serious if he finds the humor immature?

Give the guy a break.

No. What makes him too serious is instantly assuming a little side joke was a major front in the format war arguments.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
dallow_bg said:
Serious enough to write such a long post about it.
He can just roll his eyes like I did.

I thought it was unfunny too. But I'm not posting about it.

Well, actually, he just wrote that one short line until you called him out.

Now, do you have any of the movies I listed? They're all on sale at Amazon and some gaf impressions would be nice.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:

Now, do you have any of the movies I listed? They're all on sale at Amazon and some gaf impressions would be nice.

I have Corpse Bride. The image quality is nothing short of phenominal. Whether you will actually like the movie however, that's unknown :p

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:

Not me.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9643548&postcount=31906

Didn't see your edit. I have a few of those. Hold on.

EDIT: This is purely about PQ.

Corpse Bride is just perfect. Just perfect.
Treat for the eyes and ears.

The other ones, except for March of the Penguins which I don't own, are just slight upgrades of SD versions.
Not much pop, but definitely a clean picture, less fuzz.
Fun to watch!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Dammit! i guess i wont be seeing the dark knight in theaters, since warner isnt putting batman begins on blu-ray.

KZObsessed

What's everyone's opinion on Valley of Ellah? (Tommy Lee Jones rocks!) But is the film any good?

Also Play.com just put up Zodiac at regular price so I pre-ordered.

steve

Banned
VanMardigan said:

Do you have any of these:
Corpse Bride
Lethal Weapon
March of the Penguins
Enter the Dragon
?

If so, general impressions on the PQ and supplements would be nice. they're on sale at Amazon.

For folks on the Red team, impressions on these if available:
Inside Man
Eternal Sunshine
How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Corpse Bride looks fantastic. AAA transfer.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
OokieSpookie said:
You mean because they are not putting it out before the movie hits theaters?
Yea thats what i meant. I havent seen it and i sure as hell aint going to watch it on dvd.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
Finally, studio reps revealed that The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, Woodstock and North by Northwest are all soon going on moratorium until 2009, when each of them will reappear in day and date DVD and Blu-ray releases, with complete high-definition restorations to celebrate their own individual anniversaries.

There is a kind and just God.

DJ_Tet

Banned
VanMardigan said:
With how well the Ps3 upscales, it's a good choice for someone unwilling to get an HD DVD player.

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest anyone buy the dvd if they have a Blu player, but to skip out on The Dark Knight in theaters just because the movie hasn't come out on Blu yet is a little ridiculous. Spend $4 and rent the dvd one weekend, you could definitely do worse things with the money.

Although, it does look fantastic in HD. I'm anxious to see if Warner will be doing re-encodes for this and the Matrix movies. I hate to double-dip but if the results come out looking better I just might have to.

djkimothy

oatmeal said:
Mine came today, too.

Looks stunning, no?

That "Lost in a Day" extra is awesome as well.

Yah it looks better than I anticipated. The Hawaii local really looks good in HD. Facial features such as sweat pores are really clear at defined. I'd actually use this as a reference disc.

I haven't seen the HD extras.

It will be painful to wait for season 4 but I refuse to follow it on TV.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DJ_Tet said:
I'm anxious to see if Warner will be doing re-encodes for this and the Matrix movies. I hate to double-dip but if the results come out looking better I just might have to.

I'm not even sure how they can top those two PQ wise. Matrix looks flawless, and even though Batman Begins is soft at times, I believe that was director's intent and sharpening it would take away from that.

For Batman, I hope they put the extras in HD, add a bunch more, include the PiP stuff for sure, and add a PCM track (though the TrueHD encode is basically the same thing).

For Matrix, the extras are already pretty much perfect, though if they could add more that would be welcome. Maybe a PCM track (though it already has TrueHD). Other than that, the Matrix movies are already top notch material.

Really, there isn't much that either of those two movies need, and a straight port would still be an awesome thing for BD fans. For me, I hope they add supplements, because otherwise, there really would be no reason for me to double dip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom