• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
VanMardigan said:
For Matrix, the extras are already pretty much perfect, though if they could add more that would be welcome. Maybe a PCM track (though it already has TrueHD). Other than that, the Matrix movies are already top notch material.
The weakest part of Matrix HDDVD collection was that Animatrix was in SD if I remember correctly. No idea why they did that, but it would suck if they do the same with BRD release.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
yeah, that sucked, which is why I got the Trilogy and not the ultimate collection. I already have animatrix on dvd and on XBL for free when I got the Matrix Trilogy.

VanMardigan said:
yeah, that sucked, which is why I got the Trilogy and not the ultimate collection. I already have animatrix on dvd and on XBL for free when I got the Matrix Trilogy.

if the blu ray version of ultimate matrix collection doesn't have a high def animatrix, i'm going to just buy the trilogy. i was so bummed when i got home and animatrix wasn't in high def.

Edit: Oh, and ookie's and vanmardigan's avatars are badass. no doubt you two are looking forward to dmc4 (out today, just got my copy w00t!!!) and mgs4.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
I'm not even sure how they can top those two PQ wise. Matrix looks flawless, and even though Batman Begins is soft at times, I believe that was director's intent and sharpening it would take away from that.

For Batman, I hope they put the extras in HD, add a bunch more, include the PiP stuff for sure, and add a PCM track (though the TrueHD encode is basically the same thing).

For Matrix, the extras are already pretty much perfect, though if they could add more that would be welcome. Maybe a PCM track (though it already has TrueHD). Other than that, the Matrix movies are already top notch material.

Really, there isn't much that either of those two movies need, and a straight port would still be an awesome thing for BD fans. For me, I hope they add supplements, because otherwise, there really would be no reason for me to double dip.

Why bother including PCM if they have TrueHD soundtracks (assuming the TrueHD was done at a sufficent quality)?

I'd rather they use the extra space for more extras, and higher bitrates where needed (both video and audio).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Warner is/was giving all of the Dirty Harry movies 4K restorations, so these should look stunning. Glad to see there's an HD-DVD set, too.

Wizard of Oz will be incredible to see...

rc213 said:
Heat: Special Edition will be on Blu-Ray right?

There's no high def version of Heat coming at this point; it, along with those other "gangster" DVDs, is just being mentioned as part of their promotional tie-in.

DMczaf

rc213

Cosmic Bus said:
Warner is/was giving all of the Dirty Harry movies 4K restorations, so these should look stunning. Glad to see there's an HD-DVD set, too.

Wizard of Oz will be incredible to see...

There's no high def version of Heat coming at this point; it, along with those other "gangster" DVDs, is just being mentioned as part of their promotional tie-in.

BOO! HISS!!!

Hollywood Reporter

On the high-definition disc front, Lionsgate's "3:10 to Yuma" was the top-selling Blu-ray Disc for the week ending Feb. 3, while Paramount's "Transformers" was the top-selling HD DVD title.

The top-selling HD release for the week was Warner/BBC's "Planet Earth: The Complete Collection," available on both Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD.

Seems like a low volume week for both formats. Planet Earth, on a roll, amazing really.

mollipen

For any HD anime fans, from animeondvd.com:

CoMix Waves Goes Dual Format (08:25 AM EST): Originally stating they had no high definition plans at all, CoMix Wave has announced a few titles for release this spring as found on AV Watch. Due on 04/18/2008, 5cm Per Second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days will be out on Blu-ray and HD DVD for ¥5775 each. The Blu-ray releases favor PCM for their tracks while the HD DVD releases vary between Dolby Digital+ and TrueHD. There is no indication of English language subtitles within the article.

A bit pricy, but man do I love Makoto Shinkai's stuff. If they have English subs on them, absolute purchase on both on Blu-ray. (Haven't seen 5CM yet, but I've heard nothing but good things.)

djkimothy

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...ets_Chronicles_of_Narnia_Blu-ray_for_May/1440

Disney announced it'll be released May 13th.

Wasn't a huge fan of the film (or story) but it should look amazing in High def and might be worth a re-watch. If Disney's track record of Blu-ray disc is any indication the PQ/AQ should be stellar.

Disney has unveiled early details for 'The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe,' which will make its highly anticipated next-gen bow this May.
Long-promised for Blu-ray release, Disney today confirmed to High-Def Digest that 'Narnia,' will hit high-def May 13 in a lavish special edition with numerous bonus features.

Although the full media release is due shortly, early details indicate that much if not all of the bonus material found on the previous single-disc and two-disc DVD editions will make its way to the Blu-ray. Among the extras already revealed are two audio commentaries (with the filmmakers and cast), plus the multiple-part "Creating Narnia" documentary.
Tech specs for the Blu-ray include 1080p video and uncompressed PCM 5.1 Surround audio (at 48kHz/24-bit), as well as English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and subtitle options.
Disney has not yet set an official list price for 'Narnia,' but Amazon pegs the MSRP at 34.99 (the retailer is currently offering the disc for pre-order at just $23.95).

Chemo

Nicodimas said:
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/06/universals-charlie-wilson-goes-to-the-front-line-of-the-forma/

Insiders are also saying that Universal signed on with Hd-dvd for another year? Anyone have any linkage though (just a rumor).. I guess everyone already thinks uni will leave after paramount will though due to some bad blood between Sony and them...(wheres this come from?)
Well, good for them, if they want to be a non-issue in HD media then that is definitely their prerogative.

Nicodimas

Banned
Well, good for them, if they want to be a non-issue in HD media then that is definitely their prerogative.

I dont think with 10 million disks sold total on 700+ releases that 2008 HD sales are going to make them any money. If anything everyone is probably losing money, waiting to recop it when the masses pick it up.

I think Universal was also the last to support dvd...Universal will go down with the ship, since their head guy is also the head guy of the hddvd consortium. Paramount will leave soon. It is just a matter of time. I've heard that Toshiba paid them money to be quiet until May or June though...

LOL there is not anyone stupid enough even on hddigest to say that Universal is signing again with hd.
Insiders indeed.
No links to back it up?

man if uni signs with hd-dvd again that's going to suck big nut. i'm definitely missing my bourne movies and children of men.

I picked up Across the Universe on blu ray earlier...

...I really wish i had bought the assassination of jesse james instead.

Azrael

I was afraid that Warner was going to pull this mandatory box set crap with Dirty Harry. The first one is the only one I want =/.

Nicodimas

Banned
I still wonder why Sony does not lower one of its players down to the 150 region and just eat the cost. It would work wonders to crush the biggest argument Hd-dvd has going for it. I only assume Sony is worried how this would eat into its Ps3 sales.

Nicodimas said:
I still wonder why Sony does not lower one of its players down to the 150 region and just eat the cost. It would work wonders to crush the biggest argument Hd-dvd has going for it. I only assume Sony is worried how this would eat into its Ps3 sales.

At this point, whatever HD DVD does is irrelevant. Sony and others want to make money on Blu-ray.

Nicodimas said:

It isn't good business to run hardware at a loss in that industry. Video games fine but not other consumer electronics. The entire industry for movie players, recievers, boom boxes, speakers, TVs is built around selling hardware at good profits.

Nicodimas

Banned
It isn't good business to run hardware at a loss in that industry.

Running a cheaper SKU is not going to send the blu-ray industry downwards..more adoption will mean more commitement from studios. Cant run static stretegies in business.

Raistlin

xS1TH L0RDx said:
import i assume? Either way, enjoy it. It's such a great movie.

:)

MaX_PL said:
how much money did you spend getting it? ;(

$45.

Expensive? I suppose. But I really don't consider it bad for 3 reasons:

1) I've bought so many titles from BOGO's and major sales, that my average per-disc cost is still insanely low.

2) I'm an early adopter of a niche, high-end format. If the occasional disc is expensive, so be it. Crap, with LD ... every title was expensive :p I'm not going to wait months and months for certain titles.

3) The cost of doing this for a little while is still way less than going 'purple' ... for me at least. I'm a bit of an A/V-phile (shocking ... I know), so I would end up getting an X-A2. It would a lot of imports before I'd match that cost. This isn't even considering that imports from other regions are actually quite reasonable (UK, Japan, etc) ... so its not like most international releases run this high. Obviously doing this in the long-run would add up to be more than going purple ... but I'm under the impression I won't need to keep this up for much longer ;)

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

To what end? BD is outselling HD-DVD even with a price premium, so obviously that 'biggest argument' isn't being listened to by the majority of people.

Besides that, they would run into the same problem Toshiba did ... CE companies would abandon the format.

Out of curiosity, why are you placing this on Sony's shoulders? This isn't just their format.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Running a cheaper SKU is not going to send the blu-ray industry downwards..more adoption will mean more commitement from studios. Cant run static stretegies in business.

Cutting out other CE's would send the industry downwards.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
So what's Universal up to? 5 HDDVDs scheduled for release so far this year? Really doing the format proud...

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
kaching said:
So what's Universal up to? 5 HDDVDs scheduled for release so far this year? Really doing the format proud...

Oh, you haven't heard? Insiders are saying they're gonna sign up for another year with HD-DVD!

:lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Did they touch up the special effects in Blade Runner? I am not seeing any matte lines around the models - it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I remember.

Xater

Stinkles said:
Did they touch up the special effects in Blade Runner? I am not seeing any matte lines around the models - it looks waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I remember.

Yes they did. But nothing major like wirh rh Star Wars SEs was done.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
thaivo said:
Wow, that's very reasonable for an import. I love the movie, but don't know if I'd watch it too many times. It's rather depressing, and made to look soft. Very tempted to pick it up.

Did you sell your HD DVD player? If not, pick up that movie ASAP. The transfer is very sharp, and the HDi extras are some of the best on the format, something that import can't touch. It's on sale at Amazon right now.

The cost of doing this for a little while is still way less than going 'purple' ... for me at least. I'm a bit of an A/V-phile (shocking ... I know), so I would end up getting an X-A2. It would a lot of imports before I'd match that cost.

That's a red herring you're using to justify not getting a player that in the end would be of more use to you than most of the niche equipment you buy. If you are half the AV phile you claim to be, you have a 1080p tv capable of properly deinterlacing, and you won't be using the HD DVD player to upscale dvds either, since you'll already have a player for that, or else your Ps3 can handle that job.

At $120, you get an A3, let your tv handle the deinterlacing, and run HDMI out to your receiver for lossless sound. You get access to the dozens of HD DVD exclusive movies at great prices (or free if you rent) and wait for HD DVD to completely fold and for those movies to appear on Blu Ray. imo, that's more bang for your buck. Remember, that even if Uni flips tomorrow, there will still be a delay in getting the titles out on Blu, not to mention the smaller titles like Mystery Men or Big Lebowski etc.

Onix said:
Why bother including PCM if they have TrueHD soundtracks (assuming the TrueHD was done at a sufficent quality)?

I'd rather they use the extra space for more extras, and higher bitrates where needed (both video and audio).

Exactly. Honestly, I wish they would stop using PCM. There's a lot of receivers that cannot process PCM properly. Namely 7.1 PCM. UGH! I recently downscaled to a 5.2 system because my room isn't that big and I felt 7.2 was pushing it. My receiver is the Marantz SR7002 and it cannot process 7.1 PCM and downmix to 5.1. And this is a fairly high end receiver with all the new goodies. Instead, the 2 rear channels are just ignored.

Also many HDMI receivers cannot process the 10dbl of LFE on PCM tracks. It's not a big deal on DVDs as you can let the receiver decode it and apply the proper boost, but with PCM, that's not an option.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DarkJediKnight said:
Exactly. Honestly, I wish they would stop using PCM.

I don't care for PCM either if there's a TrueHD track, but I remember how a lot of BD folks on the HDD forums used to whine if they didn't get PCM because they felt the TrueHD track was inferior and was only used because HD DVD didn't have enough room. There's a lot of rabid PCM BD folks who felt that they weren't getting lossless if the track wasn't PCM.

I can't find a real reference, but even in Universal has "signed" with HD-DVD for another year, where does anything say that that's exclusive? They might well have committed to releasing HD-DVDs to the bitter end, but I still expect them to start releasing Blu-rays as well.

DJ_Tet

Banned
The Animatrix in SD was a complete letdown, but since I didn't own it I got that box set instead. I'm definitely getting that in HD if it's ever released on Blu.

edit: What will really be interesting is if Warner only offers up Matrix in boxset form for Blu as well. I guess they know how much the original Matrix would sell vs the two sequels.

Ponn

Banned
So is that Batman Anthology on BD the same Anthology that came out on DVD or does it include Batman Begins as well? And it would be supah dupah nice if either the Anthology set or Batman Begins gift set include the Batman Anime.

avaya

Ignatz Mouse said:
I can't find a real reference, but even in Universal has "signed" with HD-DVD for another year, where does anything say that that's exclusive? They might well have committed to releasing HD-DVDs to the bitter end, but I still expect them to start releasing Blu-rays as well.

Where's this coming from?

avaya said:
Where's this coming from?

nico post further up the page (or back one page depending on how many posts/page you have set).

Said "insiders" were saying Uni signed up for another year of hd-dvd

Link provided no such detail

Hasn't cited a source

And hasn't specified that it's exclusive, or just delivering HD-DVD titles.

In other words, no substance.

Burai

shitonmychest57
DJ_Tet said:
The Animatrix in SD was a complete letdown, but since I didn't own it I got that box set instead. I'm definitely getting that in HD if it's ever released on Blu.

Thinking about it, only Final Flight of the Osiris got a theatrical release. Maybe the rest were recorded on video and don't have a transfer worth putting on HD media?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom