• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xater

Nicodimas said:
Correct Nielsen/VideoScan ratio : 74:26

Hd-dvd back on the rise. With these prices we are looking at a slow comeback and entrenchment by hd-dvd. Now if Universal/Paramount would release a list of movies like Godfather..

:lol

Can't wait for the day there will no longer be any new Warner movies for HD-DVD. I'm pretty sure we will get even better BD numbers then.

cjdunn

Nicodimas said:

Hd-dvd back on the rise. With these prices we are looking at a slow comeback and entrenchment by hd-dvd. Now if Universal/Paramount would release a list of movies like Godfather..

Oh dear. Only 112 days until the end of May. :D

NIghtWolf

Is hardly a comeback but lets say its more like where HD-DVD stay in a normal sales basis. The rushing for the BDA to kill HD-DVD will start when Warner finally change its position. At least thats were I expect a killer agenda of upcoming movies and offers.

I don't believe neither Universal or Paramount will release any movie like Godfather any time soon or never on HD-DVD.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Not having heard from Universal or Paramount, makes me think we probably won't hear anything till May now. (I expected one of the two to announce something early February)

Nicodimas

Banned
I expected one of the two to announce something early February

Keep waiting..It could be a long wait over a couple years. More likely you will hear one of the major studios (like Disney) annoucing support. Blu fans will simply be floored by this move.

Snah

Banned
Nicodimas said:
Keep waiting..It could be a long wait over a couple years. More likely you will hear one of the major studios (like Disney) annoucing support. Blu fans will simply be floored by this move.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nicodimas

Banned
I find it preety fascinating more people here aren't take advantage of these deals:

Barnes and nobles deal + Amazon A3 for the same price as one PS3(400) you can pick up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U62N1S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

24 more with the B&N deal. 31 + player.
11.25/movie

Posistive notes for Blu-only crowd:
Even if your expectation is that Hd-dvd is going to die then you are going to be able to get some deals later on. The best part is nobody is going to ask to borrow your shit if you think this is the end.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

:lol :lol :lol

Considering BD SW has been outselling HD DVD by > 3:1 since the Warner switchover ... lol no.

Beyond the numerous 'other' reasons for BD-only studios' entrenchment, the start up costs for switching over to neutral just don't make sense financially given the sales imbalance. There really doesn't appear to be a financial incentive for the investment.

Oni Jazar

Hey look it's Paramount & Universal hanging out with HD DVD in the middle

Weekend_at_Bernie_s.jpg

Nicodimas said:
I find it preety fascinating more people here aren't take advantage of these deals:

Barnes and nobles deal + Amazon A3 for the same price as one PS3(400) you can pick up:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000U62N1S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

24 more with the B&N deal. 31 + player.
11.25/movie

Posistive notes for Blu-only crowd:
Even if your expectation is that Hd-dvd is going to die then you are going to be able to get some deals later on. The best part is nobody is going to ask to borrow your shit if you think this is the end.

worst spin ever.

i'm starting to think every post you make is a joke. No way in hell someone could honestly think the way you do.

Nicodimas said:

More like the corpse twitching.

Nicodimas

Banned
No, you think like a RAVING LUNATIC.

Right...holding on to just one side to me considered poor judgement. Blu-ray fans have thought of all sorts of crazy arguments. When the player breaks you will not be able to play any of your hd-dvds is my personal favorite. Well the same applies to blu-ray, it will require some effort and you to go outside and buy a new one! Of course these are going to be sacred by that point and none will be for sale-the rarest commodity. /eye-roll

Nicodimas

Banned
Nico = joke account confirmed?

You guys are weird. think logically. I get it you support your side and I mine (purple).

"Wal-Mart this week sold out of Toshiba Corp.'s entry level HD DVD Player to online customers.
Walmart.com on Wed. evening held a sold out status of the HD-A3 HD DVD Player. The retailer sells the product for $139.28.

Additionally, the item held a sold out or limited availability status at several Southern California locations..."

http://news.punchjump.com/article.php?id=5532

Nicodimas said:
You guys are weird. think logically. I get it you support your side and I mine (purple).

"Wal-Mart this week sold out of Toshiba Corp.'s entry level HD DVD Player to online customers.
Walmart.com on Wed. evening held a sold out status of the HD-A3 HD DVD Player. The retailer sells the product for $139.28.

Additionally, the item held a sold out or limited availability status at several Southern California locations..."

This just in, practically giving away a product to uneducated consumers (Wal-Mart, LOL) is not particularly difficult to do.

YYZ

I think you are like drinky except you are not an asshole, good effort though, amusing and not annoying like drinky.

7/10

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
You do have family that loves and cares for you right Nicodimas?

If not, where do you live, so I can call 911 and report a possible suicide once Toshiba gives up.

Nicodimas

Banned
practically giving away a product to uneducated consumers (Wal-Mart, LOL) is not particularly difficult to do

"Reality to Gary calling in. Reality to Gary calling in."
/Static sounds

Crap nothing but dead air sir!

(You missed the point is what I am getting at)

Nicodimas said:
"Reality to Gary calling in. Reality to Gary calling in."
/Static sounds

Crap nothing but dead air sir!
Wal-Mart's obviously huge, I'm merely pointing out that the kind of consumers who are buying high-tech products there are probably the least likely to understand that HD-DVD is a moribund technology.

Nicodimas

Banned
Phew was worried there..Gary. Yea I know as it stands now HD-dvd is dying, but not out. They are doing what they can do. They should be doing a few different areas here and there and that to me is annoying.

They should focus on Walmart/Best Buy/Club Stores with this cheap sku.

Seth C

Nicodimas said:

In my area Wal-Mart has their HD-DVD players not just on sale, but on clearance. Once they are gone, they won't be carrying them at all.

Seth C said:
In my area Wal-Mart has their HD-DVD players not just on sale, but on clearance. Once they are gone, they won't be carrying them at all.
I also noticed how at a lot of the big stores now BD is really squeezing out HD-DVD in terms of software shelf space. A while ago at my local Target BD and HD-DVD had roughly the same number of shelves dedicated to each. Last week the ratio was more like 2-1 in favor of BD.

Suikoguy

Ignatz Mouse said:
Go Nico! You got a whole bunch this time!

Troll of '08!

Tis' true :lol
I still can't figure out if his is a joke character or not. I mean, could anybody seriously be that deluded?

I look at the AVS forums, and think it's possible... but then again some of the comments :lol
I think the: "The best part is nobody is going to ask to borrow your shit..." spin was the best part :D

He may say some silly things, but you all have no right calling him a troll when you all jump all over someone for having the nerve of liking something that isn't a Blu-Ray player. This place really is just a circle jerk.

I call him a troll because I don't thenk he sincerely believes what he says-- that he says it to get a reaction.

Lok at how many people get fished in every time he says something.

If you think it's a circle jerk, why read the thread? That's just stupid. Go make an "HD-DVD news only thread or something. Most people want one clear format, and an awful lot of us didn't really care which.

Nicodimas

Banned
You have to realize when you present an argument and are on the opposite side you have to look from there side to truly disagree. I see the Blu-rays side and like the argument. I just feel like it falling into a company man sceme. Many people here are becoming defensive which is something I try not to, but do get trapped into as the personal jabs do get old. The overwhelming odds is not always fun, as people like to lash out personally versus presenting facts.

Look below good example of lashing.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I call him a troll because I don't thenk he sincerely believes what he says-- that he says it to get a reaction.

Lok at how many people get fished in every time he says something.

If you think it's a circle jerk, why read the thread? That's just stupid. Go make an "HD-DVD news only thread or something. Most people want one clear format, and an awful lot of us didn't really care which.

I am just waiting for him to release his long awaited follow up to "ding fries are done"

Even with the 3:1 average this week that doesn't necessarily mean hd-dvd sold more titles. Blu-ray titles could have simply sold less(no big releases I can think of last week).

gcubed

wait, i come in here and read time to time, but did someone actually post that the 74:26 ratio is actually HD-DVD making a comeback? .... seriously?

womfalcs3

Banned
So because HD-DVD lost by a smaller yet still significant margin for the week (a week of BOGO and price cut), people say it's on the rise?

Suikoguy

womfalcs3 said:
So because HD-DVD lost by a smaller yet still significant margin for the week (a week of BOGO and price cut), people say it's on the rise?

Nico and SlaughterX do not represent "People"

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Nico is just one of those guys that thinks you need the conflict of two opposing sides to have a "balanced" conversation. It's not a particularly enlightened viewpoint, but I think he's at least genuine in most of his sentiments.

SlaughterX is just a disgruntled HD DVD fan that likes to say "circle jerk".

mollipen

I got an e-mail today from Amazon pimping some Blu-ray titles, and I could be wrong, but I think the Spider-man trilogy is on sale. Current Amazon price is $48.95, which I believe is less than normal ($60 or so).

BojTrek

Banned
Thanks Best Buy... I get to bring my receipt for my 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 back to Best Buy and get another $50 off the TV since it is on sale... and I get the 3 Pack Blu-Ray set for buying a 1080p HDTV deal...

NICE...

This will be the last little savings I can get because it will be a month... NICE!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nicodimas said:
Phew was worried there..Gary. Yea I know as it stands now HD-dvd is dying, but not out. They are doing what they can do. They should be doing a few different areas here and there and that to me is annoying.

They should focus on Walmart/Best Buy/Club Stores with this cheap sku.

yeah, well lets see if Toshiba start replenishing stocks on these 'sold out' items. If so, and its a proper reduction in price thats one thing, but if they simply ship their current production run and don't produce anymore, all you'll get is a blip and then they'll be gone.

SlaughterX said:
He may say some silly things, but you all have no right calling him a troll when you all jump all over someone for having the nerve of liking something that isn't a Blu-Ray player. This place really is just a circle jerk.
That's why I just had to simply avoid such things. I'm loving my combo drive for my PC. I can just avoid any drama by picking up the cheapest title for a given format. Or if a title is currently available on only one format, I can pick it up no worries. I'm eying the Bourne Trilogy right about now.

Nicodimas said:

Seriously man. Are you on medication?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom