• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KZObsessed

WOW at Netflix. That's pretty damn big.

Netflix said that with such a clear signal from the industry, it will only buy Blu-ray discs going forward and will phase out stock of HD DVD by about the end of the year.

Still waiting for a major retailer to do the same... rumours are Best Buy first.

NIghtWolf

I think that even though, netflix (obviously) doesn't represent what it does to DVD, it is a growing market that may influent many customers to go blu, as they seen is the only format offered.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I think it's pretty messed up. I don't mind them not buying Warner HD DVD's, since I already have those set to Blu Ray as preference, but to refuse to buy Para and Uni HD DVD's just sucks for me. It's not like I have a choice to pick up those titles on Blu Ray, and none of us wants to rent dvds anymore. So now I have to hope that BB Online continues to buy HD DVD titles, or there will be no way for me to rent Uni and Para high def movies.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I sent them a quick email. I NEVER do this, but I guess I felt I had to cause I'm bummed out:

Your decision to exclusively stock Blu Ray movies will force me to cancel my Netflix subscription this week. I own BOTH Blu Ray and HD DVD formats, and while I understand that Blu Ray is currently the market leader, Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks still publish EXCLUSIVELY on the HD DVD format. Your decision means that I cannot enjoy any new releases from those two studios in high definition. Regrettably, that means I must turn to your competitor, BlockBuster Online. I moved from BB Online last year because I felt you guys were the better service, but this move leaves me no options if I want to enjoy Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks movies in high definition.

Now I cancel my Netflix subscription, re-open my BB Online subscription, and wait for the inevitable BB announcement saying basically the same thing. At which point I cry until Uni/Para go neutral.

:(

jjasper

Great news for HD DVD now people will be forced to buy more movies. I expect to see much higher percentages in next week charts.

/Nicodimas

Zaptruder

Banned
VanMardigan said:
I sent them a quick email. I NEVER do this, but I guess I felt I had to cause I'm bummed out:

Now I cancel my Netflix subscription, re-open my BB Online subscription, and wait for the inevitable BB announcement saying basically the same thing. At which point I cry until Uni/Para go neutral.

Why be bummed out about a company that's speeding along progress for the one HD format future?

If anything, you should celebrate. Chillax on Universal and Paramount. I bet there are more than enough films in BD's catalogue that you'd want to get that you don't even have the time and resources for, much less both libraries!

Warm Machine said:
Just watched Elizabeth The Golden Age. I'm really surprised the critics hated it as much as they did. I thought is was pretty damn great especially with Cate Blanchet and Clive Owen eating up the screen in hyper opulence. It was even better than the original movie as it seemed to move faster and the intrigue worked better.

I may have to see it again, but I had the opposite reaction. I loved the first one to death, and hated this one.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Zaptruder said:
Why be bummed out about a company that's speeding along progress for the one HD format future?

Because I'm being deprived of movies in the meantime. I already have a BD player, and once Uni and Para go neutral, I'll be just fine. But in the meantime, this move actually hurts my ability to view new movies in high def without buying them. I don't think you're blind enough to see why that would bum me out. If I was a patient guy, I wouldn't own both formats, now would I?

I bet there are more than enough films in BD's catalogue that you'd want to get that you don't even have the time and resources for, much less both libraries!

In terms of movies to rent, that is incorrect. There aren't enough movies on JUST BD that match my tastes for me to rent. Not even close.

NIghtWolf

DenogginizerOS said:
War is over. Can we put HD-DVD to rest and move on? This is like watching a B-actor doing a dying scene.

More like

1z4v0nl.jpg

jk, lol but is funny.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It sucks too, because Netflix is much more streamlined in their interface. I'm trying to fill up my BB Online queue with the movies I had on Netflix, but it takes at least twice as long. Netflix would automatically put the movies in High Def on my queue, and the search was easier to use as well.

On the other hand, BB Online still rents UMD movies, so I'm hoping they'll continue to carry HD DVD at least until Uni and Para switch.

BojTrek

Banned
Stinkles said:
Is that the Bravia with with the weird alleged ghosting problem? My buddy got his motherboard replaced and he thinks it's fixed.

I have watched a few Blu-Ray movies... Spiderman 3, Harry Potter 1-2 and no ghosting what-so-ever...

I have played games on my X-Box 360 and it is beautiful... no ghosting at all...

Maybe this is a new release of the BRAVIA XBR, but no problems at all... or am I lucky?

I still have a launch X-Box 360, so maybe I am lucky?

Riddick

VanMardigan said:
Because I'm being deprived of movies in the meantime. I already have a BD player, and once Uni and Para go neutral, I'll be just fine. But in the meantime, this move actually hurts my ability to view new movies in high def without buying them. I don't think you're blind enough to see why that would bum me out. If I was a patient guy, I wouldn't own both formats, now would I?

Maybe then you should have emailed Paramount and Universal not Neflix. Netflix is doing what's best for the HD format.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Riddick said:
Maybe then you should have emailed Paramount and Universal not Neflix. Netflix is doing what's best for the HD format.

If it means that Uni and Para will go neutral this month, then I'd agree with you. But otherwise, I'm being deprived for no damn reason. This move doesn't put any more pressure than the already overwhelming amount of pressure those studios already face from the rest of the industry. All this does is deprive me of movies while we wait for the inevitable. Bad form, netflix. :(

avaya

BojTrek said:
I have watched a few Blu-Ray movies... Spiderman 3, Harry Potter 1-2 and no ghosting what-so-ever...

I have played games on my X-Box 360 and it is beautiful... no ghosting at all...

Maybe this is a new release of the BRAVIA XBR, but no problems at all... or am I lucky?

I still have a launch X-Box 360, so maybe I am lucky?

If you have a T2 panel you're lucky. If you have a T1 panel, it's usually perfect.

Zaptruder

Banned
VanMardigan said:
If it means that Uni and Para will go neutral this month, then I'd agree with you. But otherwise, I'm being deprived for no damn reason. This move doesn't put any more pressure than the already overwhelming amount of pressure those studios already face from the rest of the industry. All this does is deprive me of movies while we wait for the inevitable. Bad form, netflix. :(

Yeah. Whatever. Stop whining.

Did you think about it from Netflix's perspective? Lose a few whiney customers, while cutting down on inventory costs. Win win!

DrXym

VanMardigan said:

Well you can still rent HD DVDs until the end of the year. Do you think there would be many new releases after that?

Argyle

NIghtWolf said:

Holy shit. My HD DVD player just became COMPLETELY USELESS! I'm glad this war is winding down but I have to admit I am slightly annoyed because I sure as hell am not going to be buying any of the new Paramount/Universal discs :)

To everyone who was arguing that it was a good idea to buy a cheap HD DVD player in addition to a Blu-ray player - IMHO this is pretty much the end of that argument. Time for Paramount and Universal to do the right thing and switch over (not just for us but for them - we can't even rent their movies in HD anymore...)

Raistlin

Ceb said:
From their website:

:p

Ah, didn't realize that. I know in this case, they are simply distributing the film ... so I think it still unsurprising they didn't translate the extras. As to why they didn't do previews of their own content ... no clue.

The Main Event said:
^^^

I wonder if Xylon from AVS made some comparison shots between the VC-1 and AVC encode from both versions. I'd be interested to see how the BD import stacks up against the HD US version, since it's easily one of my favorite HD DVD (in terms of PQ, sound, movie, and U-Control elements).

I'm curious as well ... I'll keep a look out.

Though I haven't seen the HD-DVD rev, I'm surprised you love the U-control elements that much. They review I read said they weren't anything major compared to some of the other releases.

XMonkey said:

Interesting about the grain comment... as I seem to remember the film was pretty grainy almost all the time (on purpose) and it was something I appreciated. No extras is pretty lame. I think I'll probably hold out for a domestic release as some other impressions I read about the PQ said it wasn't up to par with the HD-DVD.

When you say grain, do you mean actual film grain or simply the fact everything is 'dirty'?

VanMardigan said:
Too bad you spent so much money on a gimped version of Children of Men onix. The HD DVD version is where its at, obviously. DD +, HDi, and I'm pretty sure I read the video is better as well.

While I regret that lack of DD+, the audio is still quite good ... so I hardly would call it a gimped version.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Isn't the DD+ on that one the same bitrate anyway?
Not sure.

I saw the DVD, Onix is right about the audio.
Top tier for standard DD tracks.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
DrXym said:
Well you can still rent HD DVDs until the end of the year. Do you think there would be many new releases after that?

According to the release, they're not buying any of the new HD DVD titles this year. Well, there's American Gangster, Beowulf, Into the Wild, Things We Lost in the Fire, Bee Movie, Kite Runner, Star Trek Season 2, and Sweeney Todd.

Enough for me to switch to BB Online. At least until they make the same move.

BojTrek

Banned
avaya said:
You can tell from SN's yeah, I only have info for the European models, maybe there is a common SN line amongst them.

All in OP here

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602863

I might be wrong on this... but those posts are about the 3000 and 3500 series... I think my TV is fine...

I have the XBR KDL-40XBR4 which is a step up from those models... it has 120Hz refresh...

Sony BRAVIA XBR 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV KDL-40XBR4
Vs.
Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV KDL-40V3000

Reg. Price: $2,499.99
Vs.
Reg. Price: $1,899.99

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Van, what's changed, as far as Netflix goes? It's still basically just "Very Long Wait" for HD discs ;)

Further vindication that Superbowl ad was money well spent.

TOKYO, Feb. 11 /PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by Netflix decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win. We’re confident that HD DVD’s affordability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market. Not forgetting our hugely successful Superbowl advert, which went down a storm.
We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Toshiba's responses are beginning to repeat and sound the same. :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
kaching said:
Van, what's changed, as far as Netflix goes? It's still basically just "Very Long Wait" for HD discs ;)

There's long waits for BOTH formats, unfortunately. But what's changed is that upcoming movies like the ones I listed in my previous post won't be carried by them in high def. That's why I just put my netflix account on hold and re-activated my BB online account.

Toshiba's responses are beginning to repeat and sound the same.

You're right. It's like deja vu all over again. :lol

jjasper

BotoxAgent said:

I am pretty sure that it is basically this saved on a computer and they just fill in the blanks:

TOKYO, __________/PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by ______'s decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win. We’re confident that HD DVD’s affordability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market. Not forgetting our hugely successful Superbowl advert, which went down a storm. We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

Xater

BotoxAgent said:

Are they even serious or do thexy just copy and paste? :lol

Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by Netflix decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win.

I think we heard that one before and O RLY????

We’re confident that HD DVD’s affordability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market.

Strengthen to what? I don't see you guys getting out of the loser position.

Not forgetting our hugely successful Superbowl advert, which went down a storm.

Are you guys on drugs?

We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007.

I would be really interested what these regions would be. And momentum != selling shit.

HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

Nice spin.

We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps.

I know the best option. How about you just quit? :D

avaya

BojTrek said:
I might be wrong on this... but those posts are about the 3000 and 3500 series... I think my TV is fine...

I have the XBR KDL-40XBR4 which is a step up from those models... it has 120Hz refresh...

Sony BRAVIA XBR 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV KDL-40XBR4
Vs.
Sony BRAVIA 40" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV KDL-40V3000

Reg. Price: $2,499.99
Vs.
Reg. Price: $1,899.99

They are the same TV's. In Europe, X-Series are numbered KDL-40X3500 or KDL-40X3000, only difference between 3000 and 3500 X-series in Europe is that the 3500 allows you to change the bezel.

BTW, the smearing issue is a non-issue for the TVs made from December onwards since they all use T1's.

KZObsessed

lmao is that Toshiba's official PR release? i thought some guy just made it up on HDD.

:lol :lol

EDIT: i like this bit:

HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.

Now that Blu-Ray Standalones have outsold HD DVD standalones, they now include PC drives, yet still ignore PS3. :lol

fatty

VanMardigan to Netflix said:
Your decision to exclusively stock Blu Ray movies will force me to cancel my Netflix subscription this week. I own BOTH Blu Ray and HD DVD formats, and while I understand that Blu Ray is currently the market leader, Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks still publish EXCLUSIVELY on the HD DVD format. Your decision means that I cannot enjoy any new releases from those two studios in high definition. Regrettably, that means I must turn to your competitor, BlockBuster Online. I moved from BB Online last year because I felt you guys were the better service, but this move leaves me no options if I want to enjoy Universal and Paramount/Dreamworks movies in high definition.

Dear VanMardigan,

You'll be back.

Sincerely,
NetFlix

FFObsessed said:
lmao is that Toshiba's official PR release? i thought some guy just made it up on HDD.

:lol :lol

EDIT: i like this bit:

Now that Blu-Ray Standalones have outsold HD DVD standalones, they now include PC drives, yet still ignore PS3. :lol

No I "made it up" and posted it on Blu-ray.com and it seems to have been posted and taken as real on HDD. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom