• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicodimas said:
http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=41646

Trying to take a page from Nintendo's book maybe?
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BojTrek said:
Thanks Best Buy... I get to bring my receipt for my 40" Sony BRAVIA XBR KDL-40XBR4 back to Best Buy and get another $50 off the TV since it is on sale... and I get the 3 Pack Blu-Ray set for buying a 1080p HDTV deal...

NICE...

This will be the last little savings I can get because it will be a month... NICE!

Is that the Bravia with with the weird alleged ghosting problem? My buddy got his motherboard replaced and he thinks it's fixed.

polyh3dron said:

There are no words...

polyh3dron said:
He compared the now-limited availability of HD DVD players to the fucking Wii.

The. Fucking. Wii.

Words can not express the complete lack of logic in that.

Let me introduce you to Toshiba's marketing tactician...

baldrick.jpg

Cunning plan indeed

Nicodimas said:
No I said business strategy...its a old old strategy and nintendo was not the first to do it..
Yes I'm well aware that you were comparing it to the supposed Wii strategy of artificially constraining supply.

That's exactly where the lulz came in.

polyh3dron said:
Yes I'm well aware that you were comparing it to the supposed Wii strategy of artificially constraining supply.

That's exactly where the lulz came in.

They could in theory fix that by restocking all of the hd-dvd players that are somehow mistakenly in the "product returns" bins...

avaya

Stinkles said:
Is that the Bravia with with the weird alleged ghosting problem? My buddy got his motherboard replaced and he thinks it's fixed.

Alleged? It's real. Sony had the genius idea to make two types of panel for this generation of X-Series. Those with the T2 panel are fubarred or very likely to have smearing and other issues. Those with a T1 panel will be fine unless you're unlucky. Apparently all new ones made since about December have T1 panels as standard.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
We're not even talking movies anymore. We're not even talking studios, releases, or even software top tens. Seriously, what the hell is going on in this thread?

VanMardigan said:
We're not even talking movies anymore. We're not even talking studios, releases, or even software top tens. Seriously, what the hell is going on in this thread?

I will talk about a movie...
The Assassination of Jesse James....
I could have experienced more entertainment by dragging a cheese grater across my knuckles and watching it scab up.

VanMardigan said:

I dunno. I expect this thrad to die, frankly... but it keeps going.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ignatz Mouse said:
I dunno. I expect this thrad to die, frankly... but it keeps going.

For long time posters, I think it's just wanting to see it to the end.. although the news front has been quiet. (With the exception of some smaller overseas companies making some announcements)

VanMardigan said:

Ok, how about some fake covers.

transformers.jpg

titanic.jpg

And the mother of them all.......

fotr.jpg

tt.jpg

rotk.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
avaya said:
Alleged? It's real. Sony had the genius idea to make two types of panel for this generation of X-Series. Those with the T2 panel are fubarred or very likely to have smearing and other issues. Those with a T1 panel will be fine unless you're unlucky. Apparently all new ones made since about December have T1 panels as standard.

Yeah but it seems like about 50% of owners are in denial - so the AVS forum is clogged with TV defense force weirdness. My buddy had a hell of a time researching it as a result.

Raistlin

XMonkey said:
Impressions. Stat.

Mifune said:
Seconded.

Just got done watching it, so I'll give some quick impressions.

First off, this was my first time seeing it ... and ... HOLY SHIT 0_o. What an amazing movie!!! I was simply riveted through most of it, especially the last 1/4. Everyone saying this was one of the best movies of last year was right. As for the transfer, its quite good.

Audio:

The audio is unfortunately DD, but is actually one of the better 'DVD' soundtracks I've heard. For anyone that's seen the movie, you know it isn't an especially showy soundtrack most of the time, but when there are bullets flying or explosions happening ... they are very well done. Impressive dynamics. Also, the dialog intelligibility is quite good, which is important in a movie that is quite dialog-heavy as well as having numerous accents. Basically, think of it as a really well mastered DVD.

Video:

Now as for video, I'm quite happy with the AVC encode. As I stated, I didn't see it in the the theaters so I can't really comment on accuracy (nor have I seen the HD-DVD's VC-1 encode), so I can only really compare it to other BD titles. The detail level is not quite up to that of the top releases, but I'm guessing that is how the movie looked in the theaters (there's a lot of dreary, foggy locations). It is not however, soft be any means. If anything, I'd say its very filmlike (though there is no obvious film-grain. I don't know if that was removed, or isn't noticeable in the master) On a similar note, there isn't a lot of color jumping out at you all the time, but again ... that's how the movie looks.

What is quite nice to see is an utter absence of any sort of noise. When you consider there are a lot scenes that are either dark, or contain a ton of shadows, this is obviously a nice transfer. Shadow detail is also very, very good. Similarly, there are a lot of scenes with dreary skies, or other large areas of subtle color gradation. As with dark scenes, bit-starved transfers tend to show noise in such areas (and sometimes banding). Thankfully, no such problems are present in this transfer. I took a look at the bit-rate every once in a while, and it was in the 30's most of the time. Given the above, I'm not surprised. All in all, a very nice transfer.

Extras:

:lol None, zero, zip. This release doesn't even have trailers or audio setup. As a matter of fact, the title screen is the only thing it has. On it are 4 selections ... which is simply to pick your subtitle language. When you click on any of the 4, it just starts the movie with the appropriate subtitling (you just then go and turn off subtitling when the movie starts if you wish). I guess this isn't surprising though. Who's going to pay to translate the extras for subtitling? And as for trailers, Nordisk is a distributor ... not a movie studio.

Hopefully the above is somewhat intelligible. I'm in a hurry and need to hit the hay.

^^^

I wonder if Xylon from AVS made some comparison shots between the VC-1 and AVC encode from both versions. I'd be interested to see how the BD import stacks up against the HD US version, since it's easily one of my favorite HD DVD (in terms of PQ, sound, movie, and U-Control elements).

Mifune

Mehmber
Thanks for those impressions.

That sucks that there are no extras whatsoever. Looks like I'll pick up the official North American BD release sometime in 2011 at the rate Uni is going.

Some of the bass in Children of Men near the end of the movie is quite intense. Last year, when I had a Dual SVS sub setup, the explosions nearly knocked me down. Fun times. :lol

Just watched Elizabeth The Golden Age. I'm really surprised the critics hated it as much as they did. I thought is was pretty damn great especially with Cate Blanchet and Clive Owen eating up the screen in hyper opulence. It was even better than the original movie as it seemed to move faster and the intrigue worked better.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Onix said:
Just got done watching it, so I'll give some quick impressions.

Interesting about the grain comment... as I seem to remember the film was pretty grainy almost all the time (on purpose) and it was something I appreciated. No extras is pretty lame. I think I'll probably hold out for a domestic release as some other impressions I read about the PQ said it wasn't up to par with the HD-DVD.

avaya

Stinkles said:
Yeah but it seems like about 50% of owners are in denial - so the AVS forum is clogged with TV defense force weirdness. My buddy had a hell of a time researching it as a result.

No surprises there then :lol I used AVForum UK to research it, it's pretty off-putting to see that 90% of T2's are fucked and there's no way you can know you're getting a T1 or T2 panel.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Too bad you spent so much money on a gimped version of Children of Men onix. The HD DVD version is where its at, obviously. DD +, HDi, and I'm pretty sure I read the video is better as well.

I have to commend some of you for displaying both a lack of patience, and yet a ton of patience all at the same time. Odds are you'll double dip when the Uni BD version comes out, which is essentially the same thing as..............ah never mind.

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. I thought it was awesome as well. The ending was kinda lame, though. I think the best thing about the special features on the HD DVD version is the PiP stuff where they show the city before the special effects are added, plus they have the full lenght ads that are running in the background. All very inventive stuff.

This movie would make a kick-ass mini-series on the sci fi channel.

NIghtWolf

Netflix Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

Blu-ray Disc The popular online video rental service Netflix has announced that they have decided to support Blu-ray exclusively for high definition movie rentals. Pointing to the Warner Brothers exclusivity announcement as the main reason for the shift, Netflix will no longer purchase movies in the rival HD DVD format, and once the life cycle for those discs has ended, they will no longer stock the format for rent.

Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix commented, "The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition. We are now at the point where the industry can pursue the migration to a single format, bring clarity to the consumer and accelerate the adoption of high-def. Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly."

While only a small percentage of Netflix users rent high definition movies, the majority of those who do take advantage of the services are renting Blu-ray. They expect that the shift to a single format will ultimately allow Netflix to provide a better service to those high definition customers.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=947

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I said WOW!!!

Big, bold move. Added to the fact that Blockbuster is ALREADY aligned with Blu Ray, this is damn huge.

They expect that the shift to a single format will ultimately allow Netflix to provide a better service to those high definition customers.

This is key. Those bastards don't have enough stock in EITHER format, so if this move means that the BD titles I have in my queue will actually be available now instead of "long wait", then this move actually benefits me in some way.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That's kind of misleading to say they're going "exclusively" Blu-ray. Netflix is still renting HD-DVD and will continue to, as I interpret it, until the discs they have in their inventory are no longer in good, working condition.

Also, it's odd about the supposed renting preference for BR, considering that Netflix themselves released info just a few months ago saying quite the opposite.

BdoUK

Cosmic Bus said:
That's kind of misleading to say they're going "exclusively" Blu-ray. Netflix is still renting HD-DVD and will continue to, as I interpret it, until the discs they have in their inventory are no longer in good, working condition.

Also, it's odd about the supposed renting preference for BR, considering that Netflix themselves released info just a few months ago saying quite the opposite.

But it does mean they won't be purchasing any new Paramount or Universal HD-DVD titles. Not that there are many on the release slate, but it is something to take note of.

Oni Jazar

NIghtWolf

Cosmic Bus said:

Your right, this is exactly hows going to be

As part of the transition to Blu-ray, the company said it will acquire no new HD DVDs but that its current HD DVD inventory would continue to rent until the discs' natural life cycle takes them out of circulation in the coming months.

Then

Citing the decision by four of the six major movie studios to publish high-def DVD titles only in the Sony-developed Blu-ray format, Netflix said that as of now it will purchase only Blu-ray discs and will phase out by roughly year's end the alternative high-def format, HD DVD, developed by Toshiba.

Official Press

http://netflix.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=265

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
BdoUK said:
But it does mean they won't be purchasing any new Paramount or Universal HD-DVD titles.

Yep, that's the big deal in that announcement, and the big bummer for me. At least until Uni and Para go neutral, where would I rent their movies? I know BB Online hasn't made such an announcement, so maybe I have to switch back over to them for the Uni and Para HD DVD's until those studios make their move. That would suck, but since there is no local place here to rent HD DVD's, that's really my only choice.

And is that effective immediately? Like, for example, they won't be buying any copies of American Gangster HD DVD for next week? If so, I'll have to switch over to BB Online just about immediately. Which is ironic, considering their brick & mortar stance. :lol

Re: Netflix, this is huge! I remember last Netflix news regarding the format war was that there were more users that set HD DVD as their preference then users that set BD. Maybe the information was incorrect.

No, it was correct, but they specifically cite how that changed after the Warner announcement. Of course, it really doesn't make any sense (imo) to NOT purchase Para and Uni HD DVD's until those companies switch sides. That pretty much deprives me of their HD discs, for no damn good reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom