• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FFObsessed said:
lmao is that Toshiba's official PR release? i thought some guy just made it up on HDD.

:lol :lol

EDIT: i like this bit:

Now that Blu-Ray Standalones have outsold HD DVD standalones, they now include PC drives, yet still ignore PS3. :lol

Eventually, it'll be "Players with '*DVD' in their name outsold Blu-ray."

KZObsessed

Katana_Strikes said:
No I "made it up" and posted it on Blu-ray.com and it seems to have been posted and taken as real on HDD. :lol

haha! i thought so! The saddest thing is that it isn't much different from their official PR releases! :lol

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
VanMardigan said:
There's long waits for BOTH formats, unfortunately. But what's changed is that upcoming movies like the ones I listed in my previous post won't be carried by them in high def. That's why I just put my netflix account on hold and re-activated my BB online account.
I know. 'twas a little joke, that one way or another you're waiting interminably for new HDM releases from them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I saw we wait until the actual press release before we continue to laugh at them. It's kinda pathetic to deconstruct a fake press release.

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
I saw we wait until the actual press release before we continue to laugh at them. It's kinda pathetic to deconstruct a fake press release.

Sure, but I say we continue to laugh at them regardless :)

The Netflix news sucks for US customers (but like Van said, there's always Blockbuster online).

For Canadian customers, things haven't changed much for the past couple of weeks/months for rental services (my local Blockbuster received a small selection of hi-def movies, between 10-20 titles for each format).

Zip.ca (the equivalent of Netflix in Canada) are still offering and promoting both HD formats.

Raistlin

dallow_bg said:
Isn't the DD+ on that one the same bitrate anyway?
Not sure.

I saw the DVD, Onix is right about the audio.
Top tier for standard DD tracks.

That's a good point ... I'm not sure if the DD+ soundtrack is 1.5Mbs or 640k. They may in fact be the same soundtrack.

Ignatz Mouse said:
I didn't realize it wasn't real.

Whoops!

Sorry guys. It was cleary spelled out it wasn't real when I made it, yet went further than I wanted it by being posted as a real PR on various sites. As it was "very Toshiba" though, I guess that's why it went as far as it did.

Maybe we can compare, if we get a real one though... ;)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
It's gimped in audio, video, and special features guys. Rationalize away, but you got an inferior version of Children of Men because of your impatience.

djkimothy

Katana_Strikes said:
Sorry guys. It was cleary spelled out it wasn't real when I made it, yet went further than I wanted it by being posted as a real PR on various sites. As it was "very Toshiba" though, I guess that's why it went as far as it did.

LOL, I'm hoping this goes to the "Triology" proportions of epicness. :D

Argyle

VanMardigan said:
It's gimped in audio, video, and special features guys. Rationalize away, but you got an inferior version of Children of Men because of your impatience.

Sure, but it's superior in that you don't need a nearly useless second player to play it...

(...I bought Children of Men on HD DVD :( )

Xater

Katana_Strikes said:

Oooooooh :(

But it was pretty fitting. I am sure the real PR will look similar :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
Do you know where they talk about comparisons between the video encodes?
I don't care about special features, but audio and video are important to me.

My patience saved me extra hardware thankyouverymuch.

NIghtWolf

TOKYO, __________/PRNewswire/ -- Toshiba is quite surprised and disappointed by ______'s decision to abandon HD DVD in favor of Blu-ray, despite the fact it is extremely early to spot which format will eventually win. We’re confident that HD DVD’s affordability, fantastic choice of movies, great consumer experience and upcoming promotions will help it continue to strengthen its share of the market. Not forgetting our hugely successful Superbowl advert, which went down a storm. We were particularly disappointed that this decision was made in spite of the significant momentum HD DVD has gained in the US market as well as other regions in 2007. HD DVD players and PCs have outsold Blu-ray in the US market in 2007.
We will assess the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluate potential next steps. We remain firm in our belief that HD DVD is the format best suited to the wants and needs of the consumer.

that was too funny.

edit: fake? aw no funni anymore LOL!

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:

How is it gimped in video? I haven't read a comparison yet. Mind pointing me to this info, as the video seems quite good.

And based on the soundtrack design, I'd be surprised if the audio difference is of serious note. This isn't lossless versus DD. Its DD+ versus DD, in a soundtrack that is dialog heavy for a majority of it.

The extras are really the only gimping ... so make your decision based on that.

Raistlin

Speaking of gimped audio ... can someone tell me why in the hell the Fountain isn't available with lossless audio on either format?

>_<

Seriously Warner ... wtf ... the soundtrack is obviously quite central to the film.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I see that Netflix dropped HDDVD. That about wraps this thing up. I want Samsung to fix their combo player so I can buy it. They are saying it will do everything in April/May.. I dont know if I can wait that long.

Raistlin

StoOgE said:
So, I see that Netflix dropped HDDVD. That about wraps this thing up. I want Samsung to fix their combo player so I can buy it. They are saying it will do everything in April/May.. I dont know if I can wait that long.

The problem is that Samsung didn't make the player, so it isn't something they can easily fix. They are trying to resolve the issues with Broadcom.

How much money will Paramount and Universal lose due to this decision? Is it still worth that 150 million Paramount, much of which I've heard was advertising dollars...?

I bet netflix is getting more calls from angry fanboys that don't even have netflix memberships right now than anything. I feel bad for their customer support team...

GuessWho said:
any specs on beowulf hddvd? 3d included?

Oddly enough the BR uk import has better sound but this should answer your question

1383618bh.jpg
(The back of the hd-dvd version)

rage1973

HD-DVDs I have gotten from Netflix are total shit quality. All of them have scratches and I always have several skips and even a thorough cleaning the disc won't cure them. On the other hand I haven't had any issues with BR discs I have gotten from Netflix.

Oni Jazar

Gary Whitta said:
Cool, it's not immediate. By the end of this year everyone should have switched over to Blu anyway. Good timing on Netflix's part.

You will still be able to rent old HD DVDs, but Netflix has immediately stopped purchasing all new HD DVD titles. No American Gangster, No Sweeny Todd, no ... I don't know what else is there?

Oni Jazar said:
You will still be able to rent old HD DVDs, but Netflix has immediately stopped purchasing all new HD DVD titles. No American Gangster, No Sweeny Todd, no ... I don't know what else is there?
Darn, that kinda sucks as there were a handful of HD-DVD titles I was interested in (like American Gangster and Beowulf) which obviously I'm not going to buy but would have rented through Netflix. Still, if it helps speed HD-DVD into its grave (which it no doubt will) it's probably worth it.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Onix said:
I wonder if Van will purchase the 'inferior HD DVD version' :lol

I have the option of selecting the superior version, regardless of format. Do you? No, so go back to rationalizing of spending far too much for a barebones copy of a movie you never saw before.

Announced movies that are of interest, there's American Gangster, Beowulf, Into the Wild, Things We Lost in the Fire, Bee Movie, Kite Runner, Star Trek Season 2, and Sweeney Todd.

It doesn't help that Uni and Para haven't announced very many movies for this year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
I have the option of selecting the superior version, regardless of format. Do you? No, so go back to rationalizing of spending far too much for a barebones copy of a movie you never saw before.
I'm not trying to fight at all, but I would appreciate the info on it being an inferior video encode.

Let's me know which encode to hope for when it's officially released.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Netflix tells it to me like it is:

Netflix said:
Dear VanMardigan, Ruler of the Universe:

You're receiving this email because you have asked to receive high-definition movies in the HD DVD format. As you may have heard, most of the major movie studios have recently decided to release their high-definition movies exclusively in the Blu-ray format. In order to provide the best selection of high-definition titles for our members, we have decided to go exclusively with Blu-ray as well.

While we will continue to make our current selection of HD DVD titles available to you for the next several months, we will not be adding additional HD DVD titles or reordering replacements.

Toward the end of February, HD DVDs in your Saved Queue will automatically be changed to standard definition DVDs. Then toward the end of this year, all HD DVDs in your Queue will be changed to standard definition DVDs. Don't worry, we will contact you before this happens.

You can click here to change your format preferences.

We're sorry for any inconvenience. If you have any questions or need further assistance, please call us at 1 (888) 638-3549.

KZObsessed

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY - News) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.

“Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We’ve listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format,” said Brian Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.”

Dunn continued, “Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.”

“With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices,” said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy’s senior vice president, Home Solutions. “Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers.”

Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080211/20080211006384.html?.v=1

Not a full scale dropping of HD-DVD, but a step in the right direction.

Netflix has chosen.

I wish the retailers would start choosing, no more sitting on the fence.

Please end the war, its served its purpose already.

VanMardigan said:
And you got an inferior format because of yours :D

acabado

Banned
TDK,now Netflix and the Best Buy recommendations...I think Universal will only embrace Blu when they really stop selling discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom