• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raistlin

Mifune said:
Yeah, this is true too. I always forget that a lot of the HD-DVD transfers on these older movies are subpar, since I don't own a HD-DVD player. I just stare at them in stores with great envy.

Eventually there will be a great BD back catalog, I'm sure.

Yeah ... I was envious as well. But after reading reviews of a lot of the back catalog titles, I realized I could wait for Paramount and Uni to switch over :p

Snah

Banned
Cosmic Bus said:
Well, maybe he isn't all that excited by the current library of Blu-ray titles and is waiting for either a better selection (and the reinstatement of the 5 free mail-in promotion, if that ever happens) or a price drop on the PS3.

I bought a PS3 over the weekend because of the inevitability of the purchase and right now I'm not entirely sure what I want to do. It was a decent deal (better than the standard $399) but I'd really have preferred to pay around $100 less all told; also, there aren't a whole lot of current releases that grab me -- I got Sunshine and Apocalypto with the system and Volver is on the way -- and there are a few upcoming movies I'll buy, but beyond these...? I guess I'm just waiting on Warner to start putting out some BR-exclusive catalog titles.
:lol

Weren't you done with HD movies once blu-ray won?

And, wow, yeah, I'd like to have spent $20 dollars on a PS3, but, you know, that's not the way things are.

My Blu-Ray collection is like 40+ movies right now, to say that the library isn't good is just a joke dude, and it sounds like bitter HD-DVD tears are still flowing from your skull.

Onix said:
Many of the studios are holding their back catalog releases because of 2k and 4k restorations being in progress.

While its nice that Universal and Paramount have opened up more of their back catalogs a bit more, the average quality has been ... average :p.
There hasn't been a huge incentive to double-dip a lot of them.

You can say that to all hi-def back catalog titles from any studios on either format. Not many people are willing to double dip.

Raistlin

The Main Event said:
You can say that to all hi-def back catalog titles from any studios on either format. Not many people are willing to double dip.

I disagree for the ones that are having major restorations. Some of them are going to sell.

Nicodimas

Banned
You guys are crazy...This market is still in its infancy with 10 million disk/5 million players sold. Right now its companies playing there cards which is fine. The mass market still needs to adopt HDM and which side they pick wins.

DVD: 223 million players sold in America total? + 1.7 billion disks sold a year! (Puts this market into perspective)
.2% of Total market player solds. Total disks is a drop in bucket.

30-35% of that industry is pretty nice with one main manufactuer with two studios. Divvy up the other 60-70 between the manufacters/ studios.
Toshiba is not limited with there money as they have not invested all that much into this war--> I read a stat that said something like 500 million somewhere...

http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=18059&catid=6

back up your logic.

My Blu-Ray collection is like 40+ movies

^ It has a great library..just my favorite studios obviously are WB/Universal

Cnet

The HD DVD Promotional Group responded with a statement that's strikingly similar to the one issued earlier in the day: "We have long held the belief that HD DVD is the best format for consumers based on quality and value, and with more than 1 million HD DVD players on the market, it's unfortunate to see Netflix make the decision to only stock Blu-ray titles going forward. While the Best Buy announcement says they will recommend Blu-ray, at least they will continue to carry HD DVD and offer consumers a choice at retail."

What else can they say?

Nicodimas said:
You guys are crazy...This market is still in its infancy with 10 million disk/5 million players sold. Right now its companies playing there cards which is fine. The mass market still needs to adopt HDM and which side they pick wins.

DVD: 223 million players sold in America total? + 1.7 billion disks sold a year! (Puts this market into perspective)

30-35% of that industry is pretty nice with one main manufactuer with two studios. Divvy up the other 60-70 between the manufacters/ studios.
Toshiba is not limited with there money as they have not invested all that much into this war--> I read a stat that said something like 500 million somewhere...

back up your logic.

Dude! The gig is up, just let it go already. Honestly, it's a snowball affect that Toshiba has no control over. I expect it all to end by summers end, seriously.

Nicodimas said:

back up your logic.

The reason why the market is slow at this point, is because consumers are waiting for a winner. Toshiba is only slownig progress in hd movie consumption by consums. Toshiba needs to end this so, there is 1 clear cut winner that every retailer and consumer can get behind.

Mifune

Mehmber
Snah said:
:lol

Weren't you done with HD movies once blu-ray won?

And, wow, yeah, I'd like to have spent $20 dollars on a PS3, but, you know, that's not the way things are.

My Blu-Ray collection is like 40+ movies right now, to say that the library isn't good is just a joke dude, and it sounds like bitter HD-DVD tears are still flowing from your skull.

No need to be a dick about it. How about welcoming him aboard?

The Big Lebowski, Sneakers, Shaun of the Dead, 12 Monkeys. The HD-DVD catalog is full of small titles like this that won't win a format war but could appeal to the movie fan who's interested in more than just the heavy hitters. As Onix said, a lot of these had crappy transfers, and it's not like BD doesn't have movies like this as well. But still, it's no reason to yell "bitter tears" whenever someone dares mention the -- gasp! -- quality of the HD-DVD lineup.

Nicodimas

Banned
[/QUOTE]The reason why the market is slow at this point, is because consumers are waiting for a winner[/QUOTE]

I already posted that the adoption of HD media is happening faster then the switch to DVD. Good old fashioned try...

Will Blu-ray catch on this year @200 dollars. Nope. Possibly 2009, but situations will be vastly different then.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I was thinking Nico was banned or gave up..

Thankfully I was proven wrong!

Nicodimas

Banned
I was thinking Nico was banned or gave up..

Geez apparently if you don't support the majority you should be banned huh?

Also I am not stopping from buying hd-dvd media! This news was not shocking, or that important...Studio support/people support is far more important to this issue.

Nicodimas said:
Also I am not stopping from buying hd-dvd media! This news was not shocking, or that important...Studio support/people support is far more important to this issue.

I think it's pretty clear that you are not out to stop HD DVD buying :lol

How do you think the 2 remaining studios/consumers feel about todays news? Like I said, snowball mang.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:

But they already have picked, in terms of a majority.

And based on that, movie studios and distributors continue to drop HD DVD across the globe (or announce BD-only for their first HD releases) ... then you have TDK stopping disk production ... then you HD DVD production SW being abandoned ... then you have one of the top electronics stores shrinking their HD DVD display and stating they are going to actively promote BluRay over HD DVD ... then you have Netflix going BD-only, while Blockbuster continues to only carry BD in a majority of their stores.

So basically, you take all of that stuff AFTER there was already a clear majority of sales going to BD world-wide ... and you somehow think the sales advantage will reverse itself? That is beyond illogical. If sales were worse before all of this, how can one expect them to improve?

Before we even get to mass-market HDM adoption, BD will be the only one left standing. Who's going to buy into a format that they can't rent titles for ... and are actively being told not to purchase by stores?

That really doesn't matter to the above points, now does it?

The 30-35% of 'that industry' is simply due to launching first. You are well aware of how quickly they've trended downwards since the Warner announcement ... and I only expect it to get worse.

The reality is, they will be far less than 30% in a relatively short time-period.

back up your logic.

1) It seems likely they've already spent more than 500 million

2) Unfortunately, you're the one with the flawed logic. You do realize that large corporations are broken into smaller sectors/devisions ... each with their own revenue streams, budgets, etc.? The can't just randomly use money from other areas of the company for this venture.

This would be like how people argue MS will indiscriminately fund the Xbox product (which is simply incorrect) ... only its even worse due to HD DVD's market position, and how the company is actually segmented legally. Toshiba Semiconductor Company is a completely separate entity from Toshiba Electronics to my knowledge. Even if their board and stock holders where okay with such a plan (which they NEVER would be) ... they can't legally do it.

Raistlin

Mifune said:

The Big Lebowski, Sneakers, Shaun of the Dead, 12 Monkeys. The HD-DVD catalog is full of small titles like this that won't win a format war but could appeal to the movie fan who's interested in more than just the heavy hitters. As Onix said, a lot of these had crappy transfers, and it's not like BD doesn't have movies like this as well. But still, it's no reason to yell "bitter tears" whenever someone dares mention the -- gasp! -- quality of the HD-DVD lineup.

The funny thing being I own 12 Monkeys on BluRay :lol

Raistlin

Mifune said:
An import, I assume. How's the PQ? Special features?

I'll tell you in a few days. Its actually at my parent's house (along with Perfume and the UK transfer of Pan's Labyrinth).

My apartment's mail box is pretty small, so I things that won't fit in it delivered to my parents. I'm under the impression its the same transfer as the HD-DVD version ... which was fairly decent given the source material. Its a very inconsistent film in the video department. That said, at least it ain't compressed a lot :p

I'm a fan of the movie, and for whatever reason never had the DVD version.

EDIT : Looking it up, it appears to be the same video transfer, but has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 German and DTS-HD 5.1 English soundtrack (versus the DD+ US rev). Not sure about extras.

mackaveli said:
22861422.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Onix said:
When you say grain, do you mean actual film grain or simply the fact everything is 'dirty'?

The last time I watched CoM was in the theater so it's been awhile, but I seem to recall it was film grain, or at least simulated to give it a very film-grainy look.

Direct captures from both versions could easily solve this, though.

Snah

Banned
Mifune said:

Huh?

I never questioned the quality of the HD-DVD lineup. There's quite a few HD-DVD exclusive titles that I want to see on Blu-Ray, but I'm happy to wait.

Cosmic Bus, just a month ago, was vowing to never support high-def media ever again, and now he begrudgingly gets a blu-ray player and proceeds to complain about the price and the lineup.

Raistlin

XMonkey said:
The last time I watched CoM was in the theater so it's been awhile, but I seem to recall it was film grain, or at least simulated to give it a very film-grainy look.

Direct captures from both versions could easily solve this, though.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any direct comparison pics yet. There are some grain effects (filters maybe?) ... I just didn't think its film-grain, since it isn't consistent.

This was my first time seeing the movie, so I wasn't in total A/V-snob mode :p I'll look more closely when I have the chance.

Mifune

Mehmber
Snah said:
Huh?

I never questioned the quality of the HD-DVD lineup. There's quite a few HD-DVD exclusive titles that I want to see on Blu-Ray, but I'm happy to wait.

Cosmic Bus, just a month ago, was vowing to never support high-def media ever again, and now he begrudgingly gets a blu-ray player and proceeds to complain about the price and the lineup.

No.

I distinctly remember him saying that he was gonna sit the whole thing out for a while, not forever, until BD players came down in price. He wasn't gonna spring for a PS3 because he wasn't much of a gamer. I guess he changed his mind.

Again...no need to be a dick about it.

Nicodimas

Banned
If it's not too much to ask, can you please change your pic to something less along the line of "I want to beat the shit of that guy everytime I see him"?

This picture drives me nuts..I just want to take the opposite side of this poster even if he makes sense nuts.

Snah

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
If it's not too much to ask, can you please change your pic to something less along the line of "I want to beat the shit of that guy everytime I see him"?

i dont see how that dood could make people so mad? :lol :lol :lol

Raistlin

mackaveli said:

Beyond the obvious implications of this press-release, there is a little gem that appears to have gone unnoticed.

With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content.

The 'HDM will fail' crowd has endlessly trumpeted how DVD is good enough. Here, we have one of the biggest electronics chains in the West directly stating that their HDTV costumers are looking for HD content beyond what they can get from broadcast/cable/satellite.

That is a VERY encouraging piece of information.

Everdred

DarkJediKnight said:
It's like you're in my head.

Nicodimas

Banned
That is a VERY encouraging piece of information.

I really really hope it does not become a niche product. I am not trying to be a doomsayer as I am invested in Blu now. Just release a 200 dollar player this year Blu (100 on black friday!) This would make me feel better ~ telling your brother that has children how much a player costs is not fun....of course the same can be said for media...but nobody notices until they are in already... (searching for cheap ass deals as usual)

Snah

Banned
I like the avatar too. :D

Mifune said:
No.

I distinctly remember him saying that he was gonna sit the whole thing out for a while, not forever, until BD players came down in price. He wasn't gonna spring for a PS3 because he wasn't much of a gamer. I guess he changed his mind.

Again...no need to be a dick about it.

Not to beat a dead horse, but here's what he said right after the Warner announcement:

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but this is where I step out of the high def game. I suppose in a sense, Warner is saving me quite a bit of money this year.

I don't care though, honestly. At least he's embraced blu-ray now, I suppose that's all that matters. Eventually he'll quit whining about it.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
I really really hope it does not become a niche product. I am not trying to be a doomsayer as I am invested in Blu now. Just release a 200 dollar player this year Blu (100 on black friday!) This would make me feel better ~ telling your brother that has children how much a player costs is not fun....of course the same can be said for media...but nobody notices until they are in already... (searching for cheap ass deals as usual)

Seeing how successful DVD was without that sort of price-reduction time-line, I'm not sure why people are getting so antsy.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Onix said:
I disagree for the ones that are having major restorations. Some of them are going to sell.

Studios have always cherry-picked which catalog titles were going to get new, top-notch transfers and restorations, and always will. Can you name a studio that hasn't shit out any recycled transfers lately? I know the last few catalog titles I've watched from Disney have had fucking ancient transfers.

Nicodimas

Banned
I'm not sure why people are getting so antsy.

Everytime I say it I get burned. I don't know if its true about Copper lines getting the 10x boost in the next couple of years, but people keep saying it.

Thats why I am hoping 4k rez get going as puts illegal downloads way out if reach. One good technological breakthrough and its lost. Companies are really pushing the whole non-owning strat on us everywhere and it bugs me ( see Visa commerical with cash...drives me up the wall..you are lesser paying with cash and not card which makes credit that much easier to waste)

Studios have always cherry-picked which catalog titles were going to get new, top-notch transfers and restorations, and always will. Can you name a studio that hasn't shit out any recycled transfers lately? I know the last few catalog titles I've watched from Disney have had fucking ancient transfers.

Exactly is business and why Jessie james got a shitty transfer..cost 30 mil and made 13 million. Something like Titanic will be the shit in transfers and why T2 has 3 editions now.

Raistlin

TAJ said:

I'm referring to on BD. There haven't been a huge amount of older catalog releases form the BD-only companies.

Many of the catalog releases have been relatively newer films, that already had decent masters available. Disney specifically has mostly avoided this. Basically all of their big movies are only hitting once they've been remastered.

Ponn

Banned
Onix said:
I'm referring to on BD. There haven't been a huge amount of older catalog releases form the BD-only companies.

Many of the catalog releases have been relatively newer films, that already had decent masters available. Disney specifically has mostly avoided this. Basically all of their big movies are only hitting once they've been remastered.

Don't they have Cinderella slated for this year on BD? That will be interesting to see. I'm already not seeing much of a jump in quality with animation but that will be a true test.

Raistlin

Nicodimas said:
Everytime I say it I get burned. I don't know if its true about Copper lines getting the 10x boost in the next couple of years, but people keep saying it.

I'm still of the opinion it is far enough away, that BD has plenty of time to follow a natural price reduction.

Thats why I am hoping 4k rez get going as puts illegal downloads way out if reach. One good technological breakthrough and its lost. Companies are really pushing the whole non-owning strat on us everywhere and it bugs me ( see Visa commerical with cash...drives me up the wall..you are lesser paying with cash and not card which makes credit that much easier to waste)

If if some sort of breakthrough happens, it will take so long to distribute it ... and so long to get an organized 'platform' to make it truly viable competition ... I just can't see it happening.

Raistlin

tanod said:
Shelf space

That, and they know that studios are holding back major release support until its down to one format. They simply can't justify the expenditure until that happens.

Its a classic chick/egg scenario.

Ponn01 said:
Don't they have Cinderella slated for this year on BD? That will be interesting to see. I'm already not seeing much of a jump in quality with animation but that will be a true test.

Yeah, that's their first 'classic' release.

When you say not seeing a major jump in quality, exactly what have you viewed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom