• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Xisiqomelir said:
On the contrary, his insistence on Blu-Ray is going to make Sony billions upon billions of dollars over the next decade and Stringer should beg for the privilege of blacking KK's boots with his tongue.

I thought Blu-ray wasn't a "Sony format" though?

KZObsessed

Just got back home a little while a go and just saw the Walmart news! :lol :lol :lol Didn't expect that!

So that's it, officially done and dusted. I doubt any retailer will be carrying HD-DVD by this Christmas, and its gonna be great when we can get every release on one format, and that's the most important thing. Not to mention studios are going to be ramping up catalogue releases in the future now.

Also it's nice to see Ken Kuturagi getting props, not just here but on many sites, the man deserves it. Fuck the haters.

:bow Kuturagi :bow

I always admired Ken K for engineering a very fine machine. I hated all the cheap bastards that deemed the PS3 as a rip off. Glad to see that he is getting a pat on the back, which was long overdue.

justjohn

bourne trilogy on blu-ray.
droool.gif

Bebpo

Banned
Onix said:
He going to go down as being far more important than just the Playstation family.

I really miss the lack of Kutaragi already. He was the person I most respected in the game industry and his drive to push technology into the future is sorely missed.

I want flying cars, holograms, and trips to mars! But I fear without Kutaragi it'll take twice as long to get them.

Raistlin

Cosmic Bus said:
Amazon UK has listings for Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill Vols. 1 and 2 at the end of March. Doubtful that they're actually coming out that soon, though, since there's absolutely no info regarding the releases. Certainly not for a while in the US.

The Grindhouse titles are also up in the UK.

Raistlin

Bebpo said:
I really miss the lack of Kutaragi already. He was the person I most respected in the game industry and his drive to push technology into the future is sorely missed.

Me too. That said, his 'removal' from Sony wasn't done in a knee-jerk fashion. It was only done once his chips were set for a number of long-term investments in technology, as well as general direction for the company. The repercussions of his decisions will be around for a very long time.

Similarly, his direct influence is really not dead. He will be consulted for future Playstation / PSP generations, and will likely be consulted in other areas … if only for advice. Sony is well aware of what an asset he is, even if he needs to get tamed every once in a while :p

I want flying cars, holograms, and trips to mars! But I fear without Kutaragi it'll take twice as long to get them.

:)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Days like these... said:
Slightly OT

but what is up with all Ken K revisionist adoration? He is the reason the ps3 is in third place and he deserved to be shit canned. I'm not real sure about him being one of the richest people on the planet either but hey whatever helps you sleep better...
deserved to be shit canned? Its not or wont be in third for very long either, takes your sales age bullshit elsewhere.

JB1981

ya know, nothing to do w/ gloating at all

i was just thinking about how awesome it is that we are one step closer to a unified hd disd format.

was just having fantasies of star wars and indiana jones trilogy releasing on bluray for christmas '08. probably won't happen that soon but i am going to be so broke when all these titles get announced.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Chemo said:
Wow. And I thought you'd changed.

Just trying to point out what looked to be a contradiction in this thread. People were screaming that it wasn't a "Sony format" previously, but now it looks like they've changed their tune.

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
Just trying to point out what looked to be a contradiction in this thread. People were screaming that it wasn't a "Sony format" previously, but now it looks like they've changed their tune.

Mind pointing out how the tune has been changed?

Chemo

ManaByte said:
Where, exactly, was the tune changed? Just because Sony stands to make money from Blu-ray doesn't mean it's just their format.

ManaByte said:
I get what you're trying to say but it just sounds like a desperate attempt to argue with someone.

To answer your question, Sony is a small part of the BDA but at 20%, they are the biggest part of the BDA.

KZObsessed

No. People were saying Blu-Ray wasn't ONLY a Sony format, not that it wasn't a Sony format at all. There are many companies involved and responsible for Blu-Ray.

No contradiction, what a terrible argument.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Onix said:
Mind pointing out how the tune has been changed?

Prior to the BRD win, if anyone brought up that Sony is the primary backer in the BDA people would jump on them and say they're wrong and BRD isn't a "Sony format". Now it's different. Just look at the last couple pages. It looks like the GAMING FORUM in this thread with the amount of Kutaragi and PS3 talk/

ManaByte

Gold Member
So I guess now that Blu-Ray won, it's OK to call it a Sony format? Because you know, it is.

I just found it hilariously stupid how people in this thread would jump to try to defend it by trying to distance it from Sony.

ManaByte said:
Prior to the BRD win, if anyone brought up that Sony is the primary backer in the BDA people would jump on them and say they're wrong and BRD isn't a "Sony format". Now it's different. Just look at the last couple pages. It looks like the GAMING FORUM in this thread with the amount of Kutaragi and PS3 talk/

Did you have to go to a cosmetology school to learn to split hairs like this?

user friendly said:
To answer your question, Sony is a small part of the BDA but at 20%, they are the biggest part of the BDA.

This. Here.

ManaByte said:
So I guess now that Blu-Ray won, it's OK to call it a Sony format? Because you know, it is.

I just found it hilariously stupid how people in this thread would jump to try to defend it by trying to distance it from Sony.

I think if you read up this thread a bit, you'll find someone praising a mainstream news article for actually not calling Blu-ray "Sony's format" for a change. It was viewed as a welcome change in the coverage we normally get. Doesn't that suggest that you are barking up the wrong tree here?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Speaking of revisionist...
Manabyte said:
if anyone brought up that Sony is the primary backer in the BDA
If only that's what more people said in the past, there wouldn't have been as many people correcting them. But most of the people you're referring to labeled BD as nothing more than a Sony format with no acknowledgment of any other BD contributors/backers.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
captive said:
deserved to be shit canned? Its not or wont be in third for very long either, takes your sales age bullshit elsewhere.
umm...... even if it continued to outsell the 360 (which it won't for the near future) at the same rate as it did in January, it will take MULTIPLE YEARS for it to catch up to 360 in the US. And it has STILL never outsold Wii in US.

As for take the sale-age bullshit elsewhere, what the fuck is going on in here but jerking off to the ultimate win IN SALES of the BRD format?

his point still remains valid. Ken K sacrificed SCE at the altar of next-gen video, and considering Ken's job was head of SCEI, that's not a very bright move. Did this move directly result in the success of the BRD movie format? It's looking to have played a good factor in it. But did it likely tank the entire division for half a generation or more? Yup. It's hard to pat Ken K on the back when he effectively crashed and burned what he was in charge of. Of course it paid off for other areas of the company, but it shouldn't be let go that the once invincible playstation brand name was reduced to a running gag in the process.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
captive said:

That's right shit canned. I'm responding to the people who are giving him more credit than he deserves. I thought he was behind CELL not Blu-Ray? The decision to include it in the ps3 (for better or worse) was not his. It was made by the higher ups. Like I said though if proclaiming him Sony's savior helps some of you sleep better more power to you. I'd give Strnger the credit for Sony's success.

borghe

Days like these... said:
I'd give Strnger the credit for Sony's success.
In the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty small success. Though I will agree with you to a point. I would definitely credit stringer with turning around what could have eventually been the self-destruction of one of the world's biggest companies, in part to both the stabilization of the PS3 and the eventual win of BRD as the sole niche HD format. Now the question remains will he be able to take BRD past niche status in the face of DD and DVD and will he be able to grow the PS3 into more than an also ran in the console market.

Days like these... said:
That's right shit canned. I'm responding to the people who are giving him more credit than he deserves. I thought he was behind CELL not Blu-Ray? The decision to include it in the ps3 (for better or worse) was not his. It was made by the higher ups. Like I said though if proclaiming him Sony's savior helps some of you sleep better more power to you. I'd give Strnger the credit for Sony's success.

Looks like someone hasn't been reading the thread he's posting in...

According to an article posted earlier here, Ken did have a say, and actively pushed for the specific storage medium for the PS3, even before Blu-ray officially existed and was still in the (failed) negotiations for one HDM format.

EDIT: Quote from article posted below...

It's true that Blu-ray Association was created by 9 companies, but Blu-ray goes FAR BEYOND THAT.

Lets have a history lesson via our friend wikipedia:

June 2000 - Sony Starts working on UDO and DVR Blue.
October 2000 - The first DVR Blue prototypes were unveiled.
February 2002 - The project was officially announced as Blu-ray, and Blu-ray Disc Association was founded by the nine initial members.
April 2003 - Sony becomes the first company to release a blu-ray player/recorder and blu-ray Recordable Discs. Take the bite - $3800 USD per player to be exact. No blu-ray titles to be seen in the market. Infact, the player used the infamous "cartridge" aka UMDed. This was the time when 720p/1080i ruled and 1080p was just a dream.
E3 2005 - Sony unveils Playstation 3. Includes Blu-ray player.
June 2006 - Sony releases first blu-ray movie.

Gamespot 20.6.2005 said:
Kutaragi also talked about his decision to adopt Blu-ray for the PlayStation
3 rather than wait a bit longer to see if the Blu-ray and HD-DVD factions
would come to a final conclusion on a unified disc standard. "E3 was the
last chance," Kutaragi said. "The PS3 is the console of the future, so I
wanted an extreme amount of capacity. But for that, we need cutting-edge
technology, and not technology that is currently available. My suggestion
was to come to an agreement with a physical format that is as close to [the
Blu-ray's] 0.1mm as possible. But the PS3 launches in spring 2006. If we had
continued to wait for a unified standard, we wouldn't be able to release the
PS3. We no longer have any more time. It's game over."

Kutaragi strongly stressed that he has no plans to compromise on the
Blu-ray's 0.1mm physical format, which gives it the upper hand to HD-DVD in
terms of capacity. However, he said that he could wait until spring 2006 to
see if Sony and Toshiba could come up with a unified standard that's still
based on the Blu-ray's physical format. As long as the change is only in the
disc's logical structure, the PS3 can still adapt to it with some software
updates. Despite Kutaragi's comments, it's been reported that Toshiba and
Sony are still in negotiations on a standard format.

Credit to Van for finding this.

borghe

polyh3dron said:
Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer, Sharp, Philips and every other major CE company minus Toshiba say NO.
you can tout as many companies as you want, but at the end of the day all that matters is who gets licensing fees from every player and disc sold. I'd imagine that list is much closer to the 8 or 9 names that have been mentioned here, with Sony getting the largest chunk of those fees. while calling it a sony format may be a little disingenuous, so is insinuating it's as much a format by committee as say DVD.

polyh3dron said:
Panasonic, Philips, Sony
ok, right... that's what I'm saying. And between those three, how much larger is sony's share than the other two's? Probably quite a bit.

borghe said:
you can tout as many companies as you want, but at the end of the day all that matters is who gets licensing fees from every player and disc sold. I'd imagine that list is much closer to the 8 or 9 names that have been mentioned here, with Sony getting the largest chunk of those fees.
Panasonic, Philips, Sony

borghe said:
you can tout as many companies as you want, but at the end of the day all that matters is who gets licensing fees from every player and disc sold. I'd imagine that list is much closer to the 8 or 9 names that have been mentioned here, with Sony getting the largest chunk of those fees. while calling it a sony format may be a little disingenuous, so is insinuating it's as much a format by committee as say DVD.

ok, right... that's what I'm saying. And between those three, how much larger is sony's share than the other two's? Probably quite a bit.

As previously stated, Sony is the biggest part of the BDA (20%).

polyh3dron said:
There are some SERIOUS meltdowns going on at HDD. I recommend getting out the popcorn and going over there for some lulz.

It is pretty funny, but I'm a little disturbed at how much people stand by their preferred format. At least Nico makes it funny.

polyh3dron said:
Panasonic, Philips, Sony

Nichia too. Though they were going to make money regardless of format, (on the blue-violet laser diode tech,) they are probably very happy that soon the real mass consumer roll-out of the one winning format can finally begin in earnest.

typo said:
It is pretty funny, but I'm a little disturbed at how much people stand by their preferred format. At least Nico makes it funny.

Yeah, there's very little humor there. Many more sad, bitter fanboys on the edge of total breakdown.

...oh who am I kidding? Watching sad, bitter fanboys on the edge of a total breakdown is making for epic lulz.

Xisiqomelir

typo said:

Take it with a grain of salt. A lot of those guys literally are virals.

I received an AVS infraction for mentioning that about Amir today. :lol

It seems Toshiba is sending out a new tshirt to hd loyalists after the news that has been hitting this week.
It took a little phishing to get hold of one of them but I found an image...

seppuku_girls_feature_feature-large.png

avaya

Xater said:
On the Europe chart is an error. Universum is actually neutral. I have their Crank BD. :D

Got it as an email from a friend at JP Morgan, I think Channel 4 might be an error as well.

borghe

jeremy_ricci said:
lol, even meltdowns here. borge and this other character shitting on Ken, dogging Sony, etc etc.

All because of this news :lol
umm.. you're seriously reaching. Or you've virtually never participated in this thread before today. I entered into HDM with both formats on the exact same day (a 360 add-on and a 60GB PS3). I own exactly 26 HD-DVD's and 27 Blu-rays. I'm just not going to suck on Ken K's dick after he took what seemed like a sure thing at the time, leading Sony to another easy win in the console market, and threw them into an uncontrolled spiral landing them in a third place even more distant than Nintendo had been in for two generations.

Ken K was NOT a visionary. He took one of the biggest marketing names OF ALL TIME and turned it into a running joke. He tanked one of the largest divisions in one of the largest companies of the world, and arguably he sparked off a company-wide down swing in most other related divisions. Just because BRD is now the only niche HD movie format around doesn't change ANY of that. Let's not get stupid here.

As part of what Days Like These alluded to, Stringer deserves much more credit than Ken K. If anything Stringer SAVED this and made it all actually work, vs. just letting the entire debacle ruin the company. He fixed what Kutagari broke. Kutagari put the pieces in place but completely fumbled the execution. It's like congratulating the quarterback for winning the game even though the only points scored were field goals.

surazal

polyh3dron said:
There are some SERIOUS meltdowns going on at HDD. I recommend getting out the popcorn and going over there for some lulz.

:lol :lol
I guess all the crazy fanatics from AVS went to highdefdigest. All the paid shills on AVS stayed and formed a united front to claim that digital downloads are ready and Blu-ray's victory means nothing. At least the meltdowns are entertaining. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom