• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder

djkimothy said:
I think he started faking this for a while, this one looks a little bit too forced Nico, but I still appreciate the effort to humour us. :lol
Yeah, for at least a month now I felt it was pretty obvious he was just going through the motions and playing a bit, but bravo on sticking to the script for so long. :lol The last week though the news has been so bad for HDDVD that you can't even pretend to deny it no matter how illogical you're trying to act, it's almost too bad.

Christopher

Come on Universal and Paramount, give me those catalogs on Blu - and BOGO them it'll be heaven.

There are quite a few HD DVD exclusives I wanted; Breakfast Club, Mummy I & II, Mission Impossible ect...

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Christopher said:
Come on Universal and Paramount, give me those catalogs on Blu - and BOGO them it'll be heaven.

There are quite a few HD DVD exclusives I wanted; Breakfast Club, Mummy I & II, Mission Impossible ect...
Yes, yes indeed.

KZObsessed

The only HD-DVD exclusive I want is Heroes, definitely!

Paramount have distribution rights to a few upcoming releases that I want (No Country For Old Men - Im assuming miramax will region lock it.)

Some of Paramounts catalogue titles are too good to miss as well. They havn't announced them of course.

Costanza

Banned
Nicodimas said:
As much as all this negative news is harmful, luckily its just a nasty week for Hd-dvd as lots of good things happened recently. The format has some stellar releases coming to over the course of this year. I can't wait to see how Tosh/Para/Uni responds to all this news. Hopefully it is something fun like a five year contract for para/universal.

-Someone on another forum called toshiba customer service and they said all is well over there and not to worry.

(Of course this all would work wonders in selling the best combo format players if they release them low enough price wise and have para/universal on board. Food for thought..not saying this is happening-but would be a genious move. Have all the blu-ray releases and two studios exclusive to your players..)

This is really a great strategy actually if analyzing it instead of being so negative its called faking death.. Can't wait to see how this is going by the warner exit.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Chemo

Nicodimas said:
As much as all this negative news is harmful, luckily its just a nasty week for Hd-dvd as lots of good things happened recently. The format has some stellar releases coming to over the course of this year. I can't wait to see how Tosh/Para/Uni responds to all this news. Hopefully it is something fun like a five year contract for para/universal.

-Someone on another forum called toshiba customer service and they said all is well over there and not to worry.

(Of course this all would work wonders in selling the best combo format players if they release them low enough price wise and have para/universal on board. Food for thought..not saying this is happening-but would be a genious move. Have all the blu-ray releases and two studios exclusive to your players..)

This is really a great strategy actually if analyzing it instead of being so negative its called faking death.. Can't wait to see how this is going by the warner exit.
Boooooo. Your previous joke posts were ridiculous but there was a mania with which you wrote them that seemed like there might be some fractional chance that you believed them... the idea that you might actually be this batshit insane was what made them so hilarious. I'm not getting that vibe from this post anymore... like, you're tired of the joke, or you don't know how to make it work anymore within the confines of all of the recent bad news.

Good job keeping it up for so long but the suspension of disbelief has been shattered. On the bright side, you can stop being a joke character now if you like!

Best thing about this is that now all the retailers will be able to dedicate the hd-dvd shelf space to blu-rays, meaning it will be much easier to find releases, especially older ones!!

Escalation said:
The beginning of the end of this war? Too good to be true.

The beginning of the end happened a while ago. Here's a timeline:

Late 2006: PS3 released (HD-DVD hit over the head with a shovel, knocked out).
All of 2007: Blu-ray sweeps the entire year (HD-DVD stuffed in a coffin, wakes up and screams periodically).
Early 2008: Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive (final nail on the coffin is hammered).
Early 2008 Pt. 2: Wal-Mart goes Blu-ray exclusive (last mound of dirt laid).

Once Toshiba calls it quits they can supply the tombstone. The End.

bububut... Michael Imperioli!

michael.imperioli.jpg

vpance

This whole HD wars saga deserves a full feature length movie to tell the story. Think like The Insider, and have it directed by Michael Mann too.

Nicodimas said:

Ah Nico, you make this thread worth the multiple bannings that it has subjected me to :lol

Ripclawe

Banned
Thats a cold opener.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/16/t...39499-P4MG4Ig4iFjs3Bcrm3EKSA&pagewanted=print

February 16, 2008
Taps for HD DVD as Wal-Mart Backs Blu-ray
By MATT RICHTEL and ERIC TAUB

SAN FRANCISCO — HD DVD, the beloved format of Toshiba and three Hollywood studios, died Friday after a brief illness. The cause of death was determined to be the decision by Wal-Mart to stock only high-definition DVDs and players using the Blu-ray format.

There are no funeral plans, but retailers and industry analysts are already writing the obituary for HD DVD.

The announcement by Wal-Mart Stores, the nation’s largest retailer of DVDs, that it would stop selling the discs and machines in June when supplies are depleted comes after decisions this week by Best Buy, the largest electronics retailer, to promote Blu-ray as its preferred format and Netflix, the DVD-rental service, to stock only Blu-ray movies, phasing out HD DVD by the end of this year.

Last year, Target, one of the top sellers of electronics, discontinued selling HD DVD players in its stores, but continued to sell them online.

“The fat lady has sung,” said Rob Enderle, a technology industry analyst in Silicon Valley. “Wal-Mart is the biggest player in the DVD market. If it says HD DVD is done, you can take that as a fact.”

Toshiba executives did not return calls asking for comment. Analysts do not expect the company to take the product off the market but the format war is over. Toshiba had been fighting for more than two years to establish the dominance of the format it developed over Blu-ray, developed by Sony.

The combined weight of the decisions this week, but particularly the heft of Wal-Mart, signals the end of a format war that has confounded and frustrated consumers and that had grown increasingly costly for the consumer electronics industry — from hardware makers and studios to retailers.

Andy Parsons, a spokesman for the Blu-ray Disc Association, an industry trade group, said retailers and movie studios had incentives to resolve the issue quickly because it was costly for them to devote shelf space and technology to two formats. Besides, he noted, many consumers have sat on the sidelines and not purchased either version because they did not want to invest in a technology that could become obsolete.

Thus far, consumers have purchased about one million Blu-ray players, though there are another three million in the market that are integrated into the PlayStation 3 consoles of Sony, said Richard Doherty, research director of Envisioneering, a technology assessment firm. About one million HD DVD players have been sold.

Evenly matched by Blu-ray through 2007, HD DVD experienced a marked reversal in fortune in early January when Warner Brothers studio, a unit of Time Warner, announced it would manufacture and distribute movies only in Blu-ray. With the Warner decision, the Blu-ray coalition controlled around 75 percent of the high-definition content from the major movie and TV studios. The coalition includes Sharp, Panasonic and Philips as well as Walt Disney and 20th Century Fox studios.

Universal, Paramount and the DreamWorks Animation studios still back HD DVD; none of those studios responded to requests for comment Friday.

“It’s pretty clear that retailers consumers trust the most have concluded that the format war is all but over,” Mr. Parsons said. “Toshiba fought a very good battle, but the industry is ready to move on and go with a single format.”

Because movie and entertainment technology has become integrated into a range of consumer electronics, the high-definition movie format war has created unusually wide-ranging alliances. The battle included, for example, video game companies; Microsoft has backed the HD DVD standard and sold a compatible player to accompany its Xbox 360 video game console.

Sony has pushed vigorously for the Blu-ray standard, not just because it is a patent holder of the technology, but also because it has integrated the standard into PlayStation 3. Sony has argued that consumers will gravitate to the PlayStation 3 because of the high-definition movie player.

Any celebration over the victory may be tempered by concerns that the DVD — of any format — may be doomed by electronic delivery of movies over the Internet. The longer HD DVD battled Blu-ray, the more the consumer market has had an opportunity to gravitate to downloading movies. Such a move, coupled with the growth of technology that makes such downloading easier and cheaper, has threatened to cut into the long-term sales of physical movies in the DVD format.

Mr. Doherty, like Mr. Parsons, argued that digital downloads are not yet affecting the DVD market and that they would not for some time. They said that movie downloads face a host of challenges, chief among them that many consumers have insufficient bandwidth to download movies or move them from device to device on a wireless home network.

Mr. Enderle, however, argued that bandwidth was improving and that major telecommunications carriers, which are pushing to increase speeds, would like to be able to make their pipes the delivery mechanism for high-definition movies. Wal-Mart, Warner Brothers, Best Buy and all the others lining up behind Blu-ray realized they had to kill HD DVD — and fast, he said.

“The later it gets, the much worse it gets,” he said.

By contrast, Mr. Parsons said that downloading movies “is not a viable option now or even in the near future.”

“It’s something that will move very gradually in that direction.”

Bulla564

Banned
There has been no mercy from the press. When the mass public is informed that your format is quasi-officially dead, you are not left with much choice.

Bulla564 said:
There has been no mercy from the press. When the mass public is informed that your format is quasi-officially dead, you are not left with much choice.

Most of the mainstream media coverage of the PS3 throughout 2007 was along the lines of 'PS3 = D.O.A." If Sony could weather the storm of such repeated negative coverage I would think that Toshiba has a sliver of a chance as well.

article said:
Mr. Enderle, however, argued that bandwidth was improving and that major telecommunications carriers, which are pushing to increase speeds, would like to be able to make their pipes the delivery mechanism for high-definition movies. Wal-Mart, Warner Brothers, Best Buy and all the others lining up behind Blu-ray realized they had to kill HD DVD — and fast, he said.
no, they aren't.

Replicant

juicyfruitas said:
Most of the mainstream media coverage of the PS3 throughout 2007 was along the lines of 'PS3 = D.O.A." If Sony could weather the storm of such repeated negative coverage I would think that Toshiba has a sliver of a chance as well.

Except that in the game industry, it's normal to have two to three competing consoles (mostly due to the variety of softwares/games on offer). I don't think there's been a case where two video formats competing with one another without one eventually succumbing to casualty.

Ripclawe said:
SAN FRANCISCO — HD DVD, the beloved format of Toshiba and three Hollywood studios, died Friday after a brief illness. The cause of death was determined to be the decision by Wal-Mart to stock only high-definition DVDs and players using the Blu-ray format.

OUCH!!!!!

WHERE ARE THE BLACK ROSES!

bill0527

I can't find the thread, but my favorite comments from today at AVS Forums:

Member 1: "What are we gonna do with ourselves now that we won't be bickering back and forth over this format war"

Member 2: "We'll just go back to making fun of other people's shitty gear and piss-poor taste in movies".

juicyfruitas said:
Best Buy and Wal Mart still stock PS3s tho don't they...

Tideas

Banned
Why do people keep talking about downloading movie on demand?

honestly, cable companies won't give it cuz it'll take so much bandwidth to download a 25gb movie, and if they do allow it, they'll charge the wazoo for it.

So why do press and ppl keep talking about digital download?

2gb games are okay. 25gb...not so much

Raistlin

ManaByte said:
Prior to the BRD win, if anyone brought up that Sony is the primary backer in the BDA people would jump on them and say they're wrong and BRD isn't a "Sony format". Now it's different. Just look at the last couple pages. It looks like the GAMING FORUM in this thread with the amount of Kutaragi and PS3 talk/

:lol

SRG01

If we are talking about DD, then it may be viable if net neutrality fails. An open TCP/IP protocol is not very good for DD, and dedicated connections will be needed.

Raistlin

Days like these... said:
That's right shit canned. I'm responding to the people who are giving him more credit than he deserves. I thought he was behind CELL not Blu-Ray? The decision to include it in the ps3 (for better or worse) was not his. It was made by the higher ups. Like I said though if proclaiming him Sony's savior helps some of you sleep better more power to you. I'd give Strnger the credit for Sony's success.

speaking of revisionists ...

Kittonwy

Banned
Nicodimas said:

indifferent.gif

Raistlin

borghe said:
you can tout as many companies as you want, but at the end of the day all that matters is who gets licensing fees from every player and disc sold. I'd imagine that list is much closer to the 8 or 9 names that have been mentioned here, with Sony getting the largest chunk of those fees. while calling it a sony format may be a little disingenuous, so is insinuating it's as much a format by committee as say DVD.

My understanding is that Sony in fact receives less royalties than Toshiba does with DVD.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Tideas said:
Why do people keep talking about downloading movie on demand?

honestly, cable companies won't give it cuz it'll take so much bandwidth to download a 25gb movie, and if they do allow it, they'll charge the wazoo for it.

So why do press and ppl keep talking about digital download?

2gb games are okay. 25gb...not so much
my computers combined (3) in my household could only hold a few movies. then i'd have to rig up something to get them on my hdtv :lol all after i spend an ass long time downloading em on american's crappy cable connection. (compared to japan) :lol oh, and my computers specs couldn't play them smoothly? and i have no 360?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom