• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

Pristine_Condition said:
Personally, I can't wait for Universal's releases, provided they are top quality. I can respect that they played the game fair-and-square, but came up short.

Paramount on the other hand had better come hat-in-hand with some really awesome deals if they want me to just forget about the fact that they decided my money was no good to them as a Blu-ray owner back in August.

They want me back as a customer after their little gamble to screw me over failed? Fine. They'll have to earn it.

eh whatever. i'm just gonna buy movies (without worry) now :D

Xater

Klaxon said:
fdfr55.gif

This gif is awesome. Where is it from?

So ou guys think Uni + Paramount announcing nothign was a pretty obvious sign? I still can't believe a few days ago I said the travesty would be over my May and well you know what happened. :lol

Jesus Christ, now that the format is decided, what if people start buying PS3´s to watch Blu-ray movies? It could sell millions and millions more! O_O

yeah, but no game sales and that wouldn´t help too much =/

antiloop

duketogo88 said:
So they took a poll for the reason that hd-dvd died. One guy says its Nintendo's fault that HD-DVD lost because because they couldn't keep Wii in stores, and that probably lead to additional ps3 sales. There are some people that are still in denial over there too. All in all a very funny forum to read at this point.

:lol

llTll

Banned
i am so happy. the war has ended. omg i am about to cry. its good to be on the good side of the camp.

VIVA LE BLUE RAY

<- kiss his PS3

Insane Metal said:
Jesus Christ, now that the format is decided, what if people start buying PS3´s to watch Blu-ray movies? It could sell millions and millions more! O_O

It has been decided since Warner's move.

JB1981

Insane Metal said:

yeah, but no game sales and that wouldn´t help too much =/
It's obviously going to have a significant impact. And it will help game sales too, of course.

gkryhewy

Onix said:
You do realize that Sony will end up in second ... and likely 1st in SW sales by the end of this gen?

Highly questionable; particularly the latter. If they make second in hardware, which I doubt, I further doubt they'll pull out of third in SW. But we'll see - that's why sales-age is fun :D .

Wrong thread anyway, resume your singing and dancing!

Riddick

gkrykewy said:
Highly questionable; particularly the latter. If they make second in hardware, which I doubt, I further doubt they'll pull out of third in SW. But we'll see - that's why sales-age is fun :D .

Wrong thread anyway, resume your singing and dancing!

You doubt? :lol Have you seen what's happening lately with console sales? 360 is losing badly in two regions and PS3 is catching up in monthly sales in the last one (USA).

solid2snake said:
allright, PS3 to win this gen :D

but srly, i hope Toshiba will not fuck again with sony and make a WAR on the back of the customers.

They f***d with almost the entire CE industry, not just Sony. The first day Sony, Matsushita (Panasonic), Pioneer, Philips, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung all got together should have been the last day of this stupid war.

Toshiba could have saved a lot of money if they had looked across the table at all those giants and said "well, you guys might have a point." Instead, they tried to grab the most money for themselves the only way they could, basically by going alone.

That gambit failed. They'll survive though.

KZObsessed

^^ Prestine

Yep Toshiba deserved what they got and hopefully they'll learn their lesson. As entertaining as this format war has been, it's been a bitch for people who just want movies in HD.

djkimothy

Pristine_Condition said:
They f***d with almost the entire CE industry, not just Sony. The first day Sony, Matsushita (Panasonic), Pioneer, Philips, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung all got together should have been the last day of this stupid war.

Toshiba could have saved a lot of money if they had looked across the table at all those giants and said "well, you guys might have a point." Instead, they tried to grab all the most money for themselves the only way they could, basically by going alone.

Tis a good example of the "all or nothing" gamble companies take.

Someone better make a book out of this and give us the behind the scenes story. I can't imagine what kind of power plays the companies did to sway the war. :)

acabado

Banned
Pristine_Condition said:

Toshiba could have saved a lot of money if they had looked across the table at all those giants and said "well, you guys might have a point." Instead, they tried to grab the most money for themselves the only way they could, basically by going alone.

That gambit failed. They'll survive though.

Yup,that's what I think. Why the fck Toshiba did it? All major eletronic companies had already agreed for the next format and it was Blu-Ray.

acabado said:
Yup,that's what I think. Why the fck Toshiba did it? All major eletronic companies had already agreed for the next format and it was Blu-Ray.

Maybe they bought into all the crap about how people would go to HDDVD because it's catchier?

acabado said:

Toshiba is a huge company, and they do make good electronics. They probably thought they could outplay the field for a while and the rest of the BDA would buckle one-by-one. They were probably fooled a bit by Microsoft to think they had more support there than they actually had, and they went for it. If it had worked, they would have made a shit-ton of cash.

It failed, but like I said, Toshiba will bounce back. They had a big war chest, and have a lot of business to fall back on until they get back in the game with Blu-ray. The company will survive, even if a few executives have to take the long walk.

djkimothy

Merlins has a nice timeline of events starting this year leading to the demise of HDDVD.

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showpost.php?p=762721&postcount=25

2008-01-04: Warner announce they goes Blu-ray exclusive. Delay all their new HD-DVD releases and will stop completely with HD-DVD after May.
2008-01-04: Universals movie Lust, Caution is first announced for HD-DVD but this was a "clerical mistake" and the title should not have been announced for HD-DVD, only DVD.
2008-01-04: HD DVD Promotion Group cancel their press conference at CES.
2008-01-08: New Line goes Blu-ray exclusive. Pan's Labyrinth is the first and last HD-DVD disc from New Line.
2008-01-09: HBO goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-09: All quiet on Universal front.
2008-01-09: Microsoft announce they are neutral in format war. Amir Majidimehr quits Microsoft at 2008-01-15.
2008-01-10: Paramount delay titles.
2008-01-11: Constantin Film goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-14: Toshiba have a fire sale on their newest models just like then they sold out the A2 player. No new players announced from the only producer of HD-DVD players...
2008-01-14: Digital Playground said they might go Blu-ray exclusive during 2008.
2008-01-16: Senator Home Entertainment goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-17: Paramount announce it's complete Q1 2008 slate. One new title not announced before was included (The Kite Runner), otherwise nothing new.
2008-01-18: Universal announce it's first and only one movie after Warners announcement. The box art did emerge a week before Warners announcement and is the first new title since December 18. One title per months from Universal?
2008-01-20: R&B Films goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-21: Trans World, one retailer with more than 800 stores starts to make more room for Blu-ray
2008-01-22: Grant's Appliances, one of the top 30 electronics retailers in the US, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-24: Circuit City have a clearance sale on their last HD-DVD players. The price is now $100.04 for the Toshiba HDA3. EDIT: The price was later changed by CC to standard $149.
2008-01-24: SF Film, Swedish distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-24: Scanbox, Swedish distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-28: Woolworths, one of the bigger retailers in UK with 820 shops, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-28: FS-Film, Finnish distributor, have gone Blu-ray exclusive. Confirmed by email and all HD-DVD pages taken off-line.
2008-01-29: Wal-Mart starts to have HD-DVD players labelled as clearance items.
2008-01-29: Saturn, one of the bigger German retailers, have a exchange program to replace HD-DVD with Blu-ray.
2008-01-30: National Geographic have gone Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-30: Sonic Solutions, the largest developer of professional mastering programs, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-01-31: Surround Records, former HD-DVD exclusive distributor, goes dual-support.
2008-02-01: Paramount announce Sweeney Todd, the second new movie announced by them this year and the third for Paramount/Dreamworks+Universal.
2008-02-01: Imation stops making HD-DVD-R/RW media and goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-04: BAC Films, French distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-04: Manga Films, Spanish distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-04: Onkyo drops HD-DVD support, atleast for now, in UK.
2008-02-05: Universal announce their second title after Warners announcement.
2008-02-05: OVA Films, German distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-07: Filmmax, Spanish distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-06: Microsoft drop the price on the add-on.
2008-02-08: Universal drops the re-issues of two titles, a large part of all announced titles for 2008.
2008-02-08: HiFi Klubben, Scandinavian retailer, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-11: Netflix goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-11: Best Buy recommend Blu-ray and prominently showcase Blu-ray.
2008-02-12: Tripictures, Spanish distributor, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-13: Paramount postpone Star Trek: Season 2.
2008-02-13: Wal-mart stop selling the HD-A3 and leaving the last HD-DVD player, Venturers Toshiba player at clearance.
2008-02-14: Opus Arte, former HD-DVD exclusive studio, goes neutral.
2008-02-14: Cameo, distributor in Spain, goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-15: Niveus goes from HD-DVD exlusive to Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-15: Wal-Mart goes Blu-ray exclusive.
2008-02-16: Toshiba planning to stop production of HD DVD.

solid2snake said:
Microsoft should take the pictures of 360 HD-DVD owners with the Live Vision cam and post them on their site :lol

Celebrating is one thing. It's great. Nut there's really no need for this kind of post.

It's sad when consumers lose; and to a degree, even Blu-ray owners lost a little in this stupid war.

2ueletz.jpg

"Stay Classy, Blu-ray fans..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom