• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
JB1981 said:
It's obviously going to have a significant impact. And it will help game sales too, of course.
It will have an impact . . . but 'significant'? Not really. Most people don't care and are fine with DVDs.

Elios83

speculawyer said:
It will have an impact . . . but 'significant'? Not really. Most people don't care and are fine with DVDs.

It will be significant over the coming months.
MANY people have been waiting for this to switch from DVD to Blu Ray(or HD in general) and now all the marketing efforts from all the majors will be focused on making Blu Ray a mainstream product.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I wonder if i'll be able to trade in my HDDDVD seasons of HEROES, STAR TREK, and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA for their blu equivalents when they release..

ChryZ

21jc7pf.gif

:D

Argyle

Woot! Now to just wait until the red-only movies come out on Blu...then I can move the A2 into the bedroom as a slow and clunky SD DVD player. I'll set it up next to my Nuon. :)

Chemo

DrEvil said:
I wonder if i'll be able to trade in my HDDDVD seasons of HEROES, STAR TREK, and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA for their blu equivalents when they release..
Uh... no? Why would you be able to? Unless you mean trading them in at a loss for store credit at a place that takes used movies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
As fun as it was, I can't fucking wait until we start to get more catalog stuff, TV shows, etc. on Blu. I've been Netflix-only and haven't bought a single disc yet, but that will change very soon I think.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Guys, Big News! I just read next week's Circuit City ad flier and they only advertise BluRay movies, not HDDVD! Another nail in the...hey, what's going on in here?

bill0527

Pristine_Condition said:
HighDefDigest's "Smackdown" forum is where the real crazy zealots are. Go there for max lulz.

Holy shit, some of those people are still in denial. I guess final acceptance won't happen unless they get a personal phone call from the CEO of Toshiba.

Today, 10:23 AM

Buy/Sell/Trade Score: 0
you are right that Toshiba has not issued an official statement.
I would say without hesitation, however, that the red camp may be in a bit of trouble.

RaidenZR

Finally.

I guess we all win- some common sense. There really should have been only one in the first place.

/beatdeadhorse

But I mainly just wanted to get a post in during the applause phase here. Glad we can get on with movie consuming instead of BS.

SolidSnakex said:
fox2jk being the king of them.

There are so many genuinely batshit-crazy posters there it's like being a 3-year-old in the stuffed animal section at FAO Schwarz or the giant ice cream cooler at Baskin Robbins..."It soooo hard to decide!"

:lol

This place is like an episode of Charlie Rose on PBS by comparison.

dabig2

SolidSnakex said:
fox2jk being the king of them.

I was laughing my ass off at the ownage of him yesterday after Walmart's announcement. He makes some post saying that they don't matter and never have, then someone digs up a post of his a couple months ago proclaiming that Walmart would be the turn of the tide in the war.

The little shit edited it to Amazon a couple minutes later :lol

Go Blu!

But most of all go One Format.

And I like that screencap of the last echoes of anti-Blu FUD... profile differences. I wonder how long it will take before those guys realize what a non-issue it is? Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt we ever hear much about it in the future.

cilonen

Anyone seen this yet?

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/16/paramounts-transformers-showing-up-in-blu-ray-attire/

Per usual, we'd recommend not getting too riled up over this until it's proven definitively true or false, but considering that pallbearers actually hoisted up HD DVD's casket already this morning, maybe there's not too much sense in doubting. Nevertheless, an eagle-eyed Circuit City employee has apparently located Transformers in its internal database completely doused in Blu. You heard right -- a Blu-ray 2-disc edition of the Michael Bay flick is reportedly showing up with a UPC code different than the HD DVD version. 'Course, this really isn't quite as surprising today as it would've been yesterday -- you know, considering that BD and HD VMD are really the only options left for studios to run to -- but feel free to make of it what you will.

Nice to see it all happening so fast if true.

Costanza

Banned
avaya said:
As we wrap up, the roll call for this thread:

VanMardigan 1,766
Ignatz Mouse 1,616
OokieSpookie 1,385
Onix 1,099
djkimothy 894
StoOgE 815
captive 784
DarkJediKnight 773
jjasper 658
Oni Jazar 621
ManaByte 595
The Main Event 582
thaivo 492
Crayon Shinchan 399
Petrarca 391
distantmantra 384
Snah 354
dallow_bg 341
Chemo 339
bune duggy 316
mrklaw 306
avaya 271
Forsete 268
Nicodimas 254
gkrykewy 251
Kolgar 246
kaching 244
Xater 239
Days like these... 239
SRG01 237
Suikoguy 237
Laurent 234
polyh3dron 228
Cosmic Bus 203
plagiarize 190
Mrbob 177
XMonkey 169
rubso 167
Chiggs 166
shidoshi 166
xS1TH L0RDx 160
Gary Whitta 159
chubigans 158
Bebpo 153
yacobod 149
Matrix 145
theBishop 142
Argyle 139
YYZ 136
borghe 133
Flo_Evans 132
MechDX 130
Pristine_Condition 130
Warm Machine 120
WULFER 120
mckmas8808 115
maynerd 115
_leech_ 114
Costanza 114
Stinkles 112
BoboBrazil 110
FFObsessed 106
Opus Angelorum 105
Christopher 102
ChrisJames 102
neojubei 102
Kleegamefan 100
beermonkey@tehbias 99
TAJ 98
DJ_Tet 96
maharg 95
Alcibiades 95
Ponn01 95
Dot50Cal 95
fortified_concept 92
VictimOfGrief 91
DoctorWho 91
Cold-Steel 91
bishoptl 87
MaX_PL 87
rc213 87
HyperionX 87
lupin23rd 85
Jeff-DSA 82
Kabuki Waq 77
RaidenZR 77
wasting 77
border 77
Sir Fragula 77
Rabid Wolverine 77
Cheebs 76
Midas 75
Xisiqomelir 75
bill0527 74
AgentOtaku 74
krypt0nian 74
el Diablo 73
C4Lukins 71
teiresias 71
Mifune 71
Zaptruder 70
StanTheCaddy 69
M3wThr33 69
Maxwell House 68
Solo 68
JB1981 67
Zoe 67
user friendly 67
methane47 67
Naked Snake 66
drohne 65
AlteredBeast 64
Marconelly 64
Captain N 61
favouriteflavour 61
justjohn 60
sonycowboy 58
michaeld 58
AstroLad 57
Witchfinder General 57
LM4sure 57
NekoFever 55
Jim 52
Frankfurter 52
B-Ri 52
ImperialConquest 51
Meier 51
Gattsu25 51
nubbe 50
quest 50
How did you get this list?

mollipen

Wow... so it's really, truly over? Paramount, Universal, all eyes are on you now. No hard feeling, just get your stuff out on Blu-ray ASAP. Dawn of the Dead remake, Army of Darkness, Transformers... I'm tired of waiting.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Been a long time lurker of this thread, and its been a crazy, CRAZY rollercoaster throughout the year.

To say its finally over is pretty crazy. Wow.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ignatz Mouse said:
Go Blu!

But most of all go One Format.

And I like that screencap of the last echoes of anti-Blu FUD... profile differences. I wonder how long it will take before those guys realize what a non-issue it is? Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt we ever hear much about it in the future.
right now, it is absolutely an issue given AFAIK there are only 2-3 players (aside from PS3) that support 1.1. even by this holiday I expect it to be a small issue with 2.0 and likely small adoption of that. These are the things that BDA has to concentrate on. If they can make profile worries meaningless by this holiday season that would be great.

of course we all know everyone could just buy a PS3 and never worry about it again... but really... it IS a big issue. My own sister-in-law took both my brother AND I to finally convince her truthfully that the PS3 is the best option for a blu-ray player. She gave him the go ahead on a blu-ray player but absolutely refused to let him get a PS3 because he was getting a 360 at the same time. She even gave him the go ahead to basically buy a $400 Blu-ray player but NOT a PS3... this is a really big deal to a lot of mainstream consumers for some bizarre reason. and as long as that is true, the BDA is going to have to get moving quick on all of the outstanding format issues (universal Profile support, universal internal decoding of DTA-MA and Dolby TrueHD, etc). As long as they are still pieceworking all of the outstanding features there are going to be a portion of consumers who are going to hold off as to not get burned.

Back to my example, she basically told him to hold off on a blu-ray player then if the only good one to get was the PS3... it took some time but we almost have her understanding. On the other end of the spectrum, his brother-in-law bought a BRP and is pissed when I told him he can't do picture-in-picture and that my player only takes like 5 seconds to load pirates 3. BDA really needs to get this stuff solved and implemented in a widespread manner.

djkimothy

shidoshi said:
Wow... so it's really, truly over? Paramount, Universal, all eyes are on you now. No hard feeling, just get your stuff out on Blu-ray ASAP. Dawn of the Dead remake, Army of Darkness, Transformers... I'm tired of waiting.
Same, dunno if I'll be getting Transformers on BD, but I'm anticipating Kite Runner. Also, I haven't seen Cloverfield in the theatres so I may as rent it on BD.

Damn, 12 days left on my hddigest forum ban so all I can do is read the meltdowns..

How do you get banned there when all the jokers their start posting ridiculous threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom