• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Selects Tim Kaine As VP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually feel like Hilary won't win. This pick does nothing. But I'm really struggling to see this combo in the white house.

Hilary can't get the white male vote either, so this move is rather surprising.

entremet

I actually feel like Hilary won't win. This pick does nothing. But I'm really struggling to see this combo in the white house.

I think it will closer than many think.

I would not be surprised at a Trump win. But his path the White House is pretty difficult too.

Meh...

About what I expected. But hoped for something more.

I'll vote for Hilary Clinton because voting for Trump is a non-starter. But I'm not exactly enthusiastic about her or her campaign.

That said, this was probably the smarter choice. Just about anytime a campaign picked a VP to "jazz" up the ticket to create excitement it has almost always backfired. The only exception I can think of where it worked out okay was with Paul Ryan in 2012. And they still lost...

G.ZZZ

Another big corp apol...
ResidentSleeper.png

taoofjord

You might want to clarify "white male" because plenty of white men are voting for Hilary.

Red

You might want to clarify "white male" because plenty of white men are voting for Hilary.
I can't find the stats right now, but aren't recent polls showing white males with college degrees voting Democrat, and white males without college degrees voting Republican?

taoofjord

I can't find the stats right now, but aren't recent polls showing white males with college degrees voting Democrat, and white males without college degrees voting Republican?

I'd imagine it's more nuanced than that but certainly one of the major factors. Urban vs. rural is another point of division.

I hate the pick. I think Hillary is vulnerable to some degree in Virginia but I don't think opinions of Kaine are strong enough here for him to be much of a boon unless they really campaign hard in the state. With campaigning from Kaine they'll surely win the state but I'm concerned they might misread the situation here and focus elsewhere.

Secondly, I anticipate he'll get shredded by Pence in the debate. Kaine is a passive aw shux kind of guy--and while he's a very good guy, he's definitely passive and non-confrontational. Pence is the better speaker with an air of more competency about him despite his awful views, but with coaching it wouldn't take much for him to win a debate against Kaine.

Thirdly, the idea of the importance of the role of the vice presidency actually has gone from one side of the pendulum to the other. We've seen near shadow presidency's in the position before with the likes of Cheney, moderate sage advisors like Biden, to simple figureheads. In the case of a personality like Kaine, he'd be closer to the figurehead side of things imo, and I was hoping for someone that could have greater influence on Clinton.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

This is the best book ever written to address the subject of who votes for whom in America:
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9030.html (Andrew Gelman - Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State)

If you're interested more in turnout patterns among groups, this is probably the best current-time book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691159351/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (Leighley and Nager - Who Votes Now?)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Kaine is likable as heck and comes off far more personable than the other three WH candidates and as knowledgeable as Clinton. I have a suspicion that over time some people who were sour with his pick might come to prefer him over Hillary.

Oh I certainly prefer him over Hillary, absolutely. I still do not like Hillary as a candidate, not at all, but Kaine as the VP setting himself up for a Presidential run in 8 years, yeah that sounds great to me. I'll eagerly vote for Hillary over Trump just to get Kaine closer to the oval office.

Apathy

Maybe one day the largest ethnic minority in the US will get represented at the top, sad it won't be now when it could have been historic.

Red

This is the best book ever written to address the subject of who votes for whom in America:
http://press.princeton.edu/titles/9030.html (Andrew Gelman - Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State)

If you're interested more in turnout patterns among groups, this is probably the best current-time book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691159351/?tag=neogaf0e-20 (Leighley and Nager - Who Votes Now?)
When you say "best book ever written," is that an opinion of yours or a general consensus?

I made the point about where educated white males were leaning this election season because it is opposed to how they voted in the past. But I haven't studied these things, I don't know an extensive history, so I'm partly speculating.

Watched some videos and went from "yeah, Kaine is a great commonsense pick" to wow, I really kind of like that guy.

Also these leaked emails:
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/tim-kaine-emails-clinton-vp-225983

These are emails of a smart and effective boss who cares about the people working for him. He treats people with respect, cares about getting other people's opinions, and he's a hard worker. I'd pick him for a boss.

I'f further left than him and I'd prefer someone who'd come down harder on regulating Wall Street. But he's not someone that I'd be uncomfortable with being president. Not at all.

So much cynicism in this country about politicians. Some of them are decent people who are just trying to do well for their constituents. Kaine appears to be one of them.

Thaedolus

Man this guy....just think about the fact Sarh Fucking Palin and Donald Buttfucking Trump have been atop the republican tickets...what kind of bizarro world do we live in where this intelligent, articulate and informed person is going to have to lower himself to debate the shit show that is the right? God, what a breath of boring, fresh air.

Ekai

Man this guy....just think about the fact Sarh Fucking Palin and Donald Buttfucking Drumpf have been atop the republican tickets...what kind of bizarro world do we live in where this intelligent, articulate and informed person is going to have to lower himself to debate the shit show that is the right? God, what a breath of boring, fresh air.

Fascinating, huh? The GOP wants to really dive in on the white evangelical crowd with a bunch of glitz and glam ala their own perverted version of Hollywood. Yet they say they're the principled ones. It's amusing and terrifying to me how little they consider....well, really anything.

Red

Fascinating, huh? The GOP wants to really dive in on the white evangelical crowd with a bunch of glitz and glam ala their own perverted version of Hollywood. Yet they say they're the principled ones. It's amusing and terrifying to me how little they consider....well, really anything.
I don't think they want to. They have to.

Yeah you need to look at white voters with a lens of intersection.

I don't think a Democrat is winning white people overall, but Clinton can definitely chip into white women and college educated white voters. Kaine is amazing for strategic reasons.

At this point all the GOP cares about is winning.

Trump would literally go on stage and say "Ill suck yo dick, America" if it meant an extra 1% of the vote.

8 years of Obama has been torture for all of them.

Marz

At this point all the GOP cares about is winning.

Trump would literally go on stage and say "Ill suck yo dick, America" if it meant an extra 1% of the vote.

8 years of Obama has been torture for all of them.

8 years of Hillary is literally going to make them insane.

lBB5GhU.png

I think this is pretty self explanatory, so I'm not going to add to it. Kaine is one of the bether picks soley for this reason.

so if florida goes to the dems it's game over?
i'm getting triggered by the amount of notifications in your status bar.

Xe4

Banned
so if florida goes to the dems it's game over?
i'm getting triggered by the amount of notifications in your status bar.

Yeah, winning VA makes it really, really difficult for Trump to win.

Notifications bug me too, and I clear them all the time, but they just keep coming!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Thank you for posting these. Kaine seems like a really smart, good-hearted, and charming guy. Don't understand why people would say he lacks charisma.

People say he lacks charisma by looking at a single photo of him. Most people whining haven't even heard him talk once.

It is a great pick that people will come to love, and Hillary's campaign will give him far more air time than Trump will with Pence, which will actually make their campaign look stronger and give more opportunities for Trump to make a fool of himself.

i-Lo

Am I reading this wrong or is he really against animal rights? And if so then "why" (does he have his digits sunk in meat production industry)?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
All the moderate republicans who really don't want to vote for Trump and who don't think Hillary is the devil are now far more likely to vote for Hillary thanks to Kaine. It really is a good pick.

Am I reading this wrong or is he really against animal rights? And if so then "why" (does he have his digits sunk in meat production industry)?

Animals rights probably means legislation was proposed in Virginia to give animals "rights" equivalent to humans or something like that.

Or this: Ban Cat Declawing in the State of Virginia, petitioning Tim Kaine and 11 others

Sanders rally buffaloed by animal rights activists
A pair of Secret Service agents rushed to Sanders’ side mid-stump speech as activists unveiled a large black banner bearing the words “animal liberation is social justice” while others closer to the stage held up signs reading “until every animal is free.”

That kind of stuff.

Goodstyle

A lot of Republicans really seem to like Kaine. I'm surprised, it seems like all it really does take is a white guy to earn their favour. This might be Hillary's best play yet.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
He's not going to help with the young vote, but its a strong choice for the moderates. He's the only one of the 4 without a lot of dirt and a fairly solid track record too.

I also think it will help a lot that he is religious and speaks Spanish. Definitely can sway more conservative voters.

It's a solid choice and he is young enough still, where if they choose, he can run in 2024.

_Ryo_

I think it has points deducted for not Co-Sponsoring a bill.

But still voting for it? It's weird.

People need to read up on his past.

He sent his kids to majority black schools.

Learned Spanish when going om a Jesuit mission in Honduras.

People are a quick to discredit a white man just because of being a white man. But cmon people, Kaine is pretty empathetic towards other people.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
With his resume I'd be really surprised that he didnt appear in the primaries this cycle except for that Hillary probably strongly hinted at him winning this job right from the jump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom