• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Historic nuclear deal reached between Iran and world powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chichikov

FOxJtQT.png

Dat troll game.

Israel cannot allow such troll gap!

Joni

IAEA inspectors cannot visit Indian or Pakistani military installations and guess where the nuclear weapons production takes place?
They haven't signed the NPT so they are allowed to make nukes. And they have always been quite open about making them. We even know on who they want to use those nukes. If a new treaty was made, we'd might even get those two on board.

Of course they are welcome to inspect civil nuclear installations that do produce HEU or plutonium.
Which is nice considering the IAEA's main objective is the safe use of nuclear power.

Erevador

80262668_80262667.jpg

Incredibly impressed with John Kerry for his part in all of this. This is the great achievement of his life, and one that will see him remembered as a peacekeeper.

Mac_Lane

80262668_80262667.jpg

Incredibly impressed with John Kerry for his part in all of this. This is the great achievement of his life, and one that will see him remembered as a peacekeeper.

I think there are good chances him and Zarif be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize à la Kissinger/Le Duc Tho back in 1973.

Sijil

I think there are good chances him and Zarif be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize à la Kissinger/Le Duc Tho back in 1973.

The peace prize is a joke if a guy like Kissinger could be awarded with it, but yeah I can see Kerry/Zarif being awarded the prize.

GnawtyDog

Banned
The peace prize is a joke if a guy like Kissinger could be awarded with it, but yeah I can see Kerry/Zarif being awarded the prize.

It's been a joke for a while now... I guess it's a good PR pat in the back for the actual good things that the individuals accomplish. Gets redeemed with solid picks once in a while however...

It's nice to see things operate in a sane manner on this scale for, really, the first time in my adult life. Between gay marriage, Obama pardoning drug offenders, the confederate flag coming down, the re-opened Cuban embassy and now the Iran nuclear deal this has been a great year for progressive ideology in the US.

antonz

Probably be worth waiting to see what the deal actually is before all the patting on the back. Strong proponent of a peaceful resolution but lets see actual results and get actual results before we all celebrate

The sanctions regime was going to collapse without a deal-at least this way the rest of the world gets something out of the lifting of sanctions.

That's the point that the Israeli hardliners and their media apparatus and the GOP don't get-there was no real status quo to maintain here. You either cut a deal like this or cosigned yourself to active, terribly costly (politically and diplomatically) intervention two or so years from now. You were *not* going to stuff Iran back in a sanctions bottle.

edit: The Saudis can't be happy about this either but fuck them sideways with a sandblaster too. It's a good deal that pisses off our shittiest allies.

Cub3h

Banned
I can't help but feel that it's a bad idea to let a country that has an annual parade where they chant "Death to America, death to Israel" and where leaders routinely talk about wiping an entire country off the map, have access to nuclear technology.
Do people forget that Iran is either #1 or #2 when it comes to state sponsored terrorism in the world? They've murdered tons of US troops with IEDs in Iraq, sent rockets and equipment to Hezbollah, and now the west should trust them not to misuse nuclear technology?

The Saudis will not take this very well, I fully expect them to already be on the phone with Pakistan in order to arrange for some of "their" nukes to be transferred over if things escalate. They've funded the Pakistani army with billions, in my opinion with this Iran deal in mind.

It just feels like this situation is a giant powder keg waiting to blow up, and this deal does nothing but up the stakes. Can anyone explain to me what we (the West) have to gain from this, as I don't see it.

Chichikov

I can't help but feel that it's a bad idea to let a country that has an annual parade where they chant "Death to America, death to Israel" and where leaders routinely talk about wiping an entire country off the map, have access to nuclear technology.

The Saudis will not take this very well, I fully expect them to already be on the phone with Pakistan in order to arrange for some of "their" nukes to be transferred over if things escalate. They've funded the Pakistani army with billions, in my opinion with this Iran deal in mind.
They already had access to nuclear technology, the sanctions were not able to stop them from making a bomb, it was not their intention, they were meant to deter them from pursing that route, and they seem to be working.

Sijil

Do people forget that Iran is either #1 or #2 when it comes to state sponsored terrorism in the world? They've murdered tons of US troops with IEDs in Iraq, and now the west should trust them not to misuse nuclear technology?
Sent rockets and equipment to Hezbollah, and now the west should trust them not to misuse nuclear technology?

The US was an illegal occupational force, Iran helped factions that were resisting said occupation, nothing wrong in my opinion. Sectarian death squads are another matter but specifically targeting US troops in Iraq was fair game. Let's not forget the hundreds of Soviet troops the US helped murder in Afghanistan with the help of the Mujahideen and Al Quaeda behind them.

And what's wrong with Hezbollah? They're a legitimate political entity in my country with seats in parliament, ministers and operate schools and universities, they liberated my country from the IDF occupation.

Pakistan has shown a great deal of independence from Saudi influence when they resisted Saudi push for Pakistani forces to intervene on their behalf in the Yemeni conflict despite the billions of dollars in aids, same goes for the Egyptian army which the Saudis basically bought a few months ago. Transferring nukes across borders isn't a game and if anything it will give the Iranians a legitimate excuse to start proliferating their own nuclear weapons, the Americans won't allow the Saudis to give the Iranians such an excuse.

Cub3h

Banned
The US was an illegal occupational force, Iran helped factions that were resisting said occupation, nothing wrong in my opinion. Sectarian death squads are another matter but specifically targeting US troops in Iraq was fair game. Let's not forget the hundreds of Soviet troops the US helped murder in Afghanistan with the help of the Mujahideen and Al Quaeda behind them.

And what's wrong with Hezbollah? They're a legitimate political entity in my country with seats in parliament, ministers and operate schools and universities, they liberated my country from the IDF occupation.

I'll only reply once as to not derail the thread too much, but as recently as a few years ago Hezbollah has been attacking completely innocent civilians in Bulgaria by blowing up a tourist bus, and has been involved in multiple attacks on embassies and jewish centres.

I understand that they might be doing good things in your country but they are still a terrorist group. Until they completely reform they should be, in my opinion, actively discouraged if not destroyed outright (I know this is not possible).

Iran getting involved in Iraq was a power grab, it makes sense why they did it but it was still at the cost of a bunch of "our" troops. I don't see why we should be treating them as a trustworthy entity -at all-.

Pakistan has shown a great deal of independence from Saudi influence when they resisted Saudi push for Pakistani forces to intervene on their behalf in the Yemeni conflict despite the billions of dollars in aids, same goes for the Egyptian army which the Saudis basically bought a few months ago. Transferring nukes across borders isn't a game and if anything it will give the Iranians a legitimate excuse to start proliferating their own nuclear weapons, the Americans won't allow the Saudis to give the Iranians such an excuse.
I was very surprised to see Pakistan stand up to the Saudi requests, good on them. I still think that when push comes to shove the Saudis will be able to acquire their own nukes from Pakistan. This deal brings us a big step closer to that situation.

Nowy

Do people forget that Iran is either #1 or #2 when it comes to state sponsored terrorism in the world? They've murdered tons of US troops with IEDs in Iraq, sent rockets and equipment to Hezbollah, and now the west should trust them not to misuse nuclear technology?

It just feels like this situation is a giant powder keg waiting to blow up, and this deal does nothing but up the stakes. Can anyone explain to me what we (the West) have to gain from this, as I don't see it.

The sanctions were to get Iran to the negotiating table, and it did. What happens if there is no deal with Iran? They keep going down the path of developing nuclear weapons, and the US and its allies get into another Mideast war. Nobody can say if this deal will stop that from happening, but trying for peace is always a better option than waiting for war.

I can't help but feel that it's a bad idea to let a country that has an annual parade where they chant "Death to America, death to Israel" and where leaders routinely talk about wiping an entire country off the map,
As I recall this is a specific quote solely attributed to Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a leader who is no longer in power. And far be it for me to defend him, he seemed basically like the Iranian version of Bush, but it's my understanding that that quote is inaccurate translation of what he said. His actual words were a call for the dissolution of the current state of Israel, which is an important distinction since it's more wishful thinking and a lot less implied genocide.

have access to nuclear technology.
...but they already have access to nuclear technology. And this deal means they'll have to document every little thing they do with it, same goes for all their uranium and personnel, and allow for inspections to insure the documentation is accurate. It means that to make a bomb program, they'd have to start from scratch, set up an entirely separate source of uranium, build new facilities, acquire the highly regulated technology, train new personnel/scientists, and do so in complete secrecy. It is objectively much harder for them to make a nuclear bomb with this deal in place then without it.

Walpurgis

Banned
FOxJtQT.png

Dat troll game.

Israel cannot allow such troll gap!
I can't believe they posted this. This is amazing.
It honestly sounds like you are talking about Israel here. And the "death to America" thing actually means "down with America".

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Obama don't know what a lame duck is.

Given a congress that won't do anything, he is bringing it again and again here at the end.

The other option is to bomb Iran. Pick your deal.

norinrad

Right because of all those countries are going to be upset, we definitely should bomb Iran instead and unleash hell on earth as if we don't have enough shit to deal with on this planet.

If they were against a deal being made with Iran, perhaps they and their lobbyists should have pushed harder and directed the public narrative.

I for one i'm happy for the Iranian people and all those involved to make this possible. I'm sick and tired of bombing countries as the only solution to a peaceful fucking planet.

The West should keep isolating countries, god knows kids growing up in those countries won't be motivated and dedicate their lives to kill us all for what we are doing to them.

benjipwns

Banned
Whew, was able to find my talking points, I was flying blind there for a minute:
ScottSellsFL Boca Raton, FL 2 hours ago
Iran is the same country that sent it's suicide bombers to the Marine barracks in Lebanon in 1982 to murder 242 US soldiers while asleep in Beirut. They were never held accountable for that action, so the families of those US citizens murdered on that day, still have no closure. Iran is much worse that North Korea, in that they currently support terrorism everywhere, especially through their Lebanese terror group, Hezbollah. Iranians this past week chanted, "Death to America" throughout their captial, Teheran. Iran is an enemy, not our friend. Liberal America is blind to their savagery and we will all pay the price....again.

Robert B Brooklyn, NY 51 minutes ago
Euphoria over this agreement is misplaced; even cautious optimism is misguided. As the article states: "The accord will be a political agreement, not a legally binding treaty." Political agreements are, by their very nature, non-binding. They rely exclusively on the good will of the parties. Iran just concluded their annual week of of Death to America celebrations; how much good will does Iran possess? I was a strong supporter of these negotiations but lost all faith when I heard the Ayatollah rule out everything originally negotiated and the administration capitulated. The original deal while imperfect, (what negotiated agreement isn't) contained sufficient mechanisms to thwart Iran becoming a nuclear threat and maintained leverage by phasing out sanctions. This agreement is worthless, retaining nothing of the framework the President initial laid out as agreed upon; only fine details were purportedly unresolved. This is a triumph for Iran and for big international business interests over international security issues. International business concerns in the 6 nations were finding ways to bypass sanctions even without an agreement, and China and Russia were going to lift sanctions entirely if no agreement was reached. Low oil prices and sanctions placed Iran in it's weakest negotiating position in memory, yet it emerged with the best deal imaginable. Congratulations to Iran, there's no question you possess far more capable diplomats than Europe and the US combined.

Sharon5101 Rockaway Beach Ny 3 hours ago
For such a historic deal John Kerry sure doesn't look happy in the photo accompanying this story. This is almost as bad as the deal we cut in the 1980's in which we gave Iran arms in exchange for the release of the embassy staff being held hostage by Iran. Treaties can be broken so easily. Iran still thinks America is the Great Satan and a scrap of paper isn't going to change that any more than Times commenters believe we trashed Iranian democracy in 1953.

John Kerry looks unhappy, this proves it's a bad deal! Hoodwinked!

Rubenov

Can Republicans in Congress be like "fuck this Obama we're not lifting sanctions and don't care about your deal" ? With all the work that went into this, it's hard for me to see them tanking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom