• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Historic nuclear deal reached between Iran and world powers

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Whew, was able to find my talking points, I was flying blind there for a minute:

John Kerry looks unhappy, this proves it's a bad deal! Hoodwinked!

K76eR5o.jpg

Philip Hammond (Britain) seems pretty happy. I think he was just excited to be involved. Probably made the tea.

Is this a man who looks like he lost or just hoodwinked an inexperienced and naive Administration?
The current Iranian administration has invested a lot of political capital in ending the sanctions. If everything goes as it should, they've almost certainly ensured their reelection not to mention numerous tangle improvements in the quality of life for their citizens and the country's general future economic prospects.

Cub3h

Banned
The other option is to bomb Iran. Pick your deal.
It worked for Osirak before, but obviously it should only be considered as the very last option. I could see something similar happening where Israel gets "carte blanche" to fly over / refuel over / potentially even land in Saudi Arabia for a similar mission.

In the end I'm for whatever option that stops a theological regime with little regard for innocent lives from acquiring nuclear weapons.

In the end I'm for whatever option that stops a theological regime with little regard for innocent lives from acquiring nuclear weapons.

I'm glad we agree that the Saudis need to be stopped.

Can Republicans in Congress be like "fuck this Obama we're not lifting sanctions and don't care about your deal" ? With all the work that went into this, it's hard for me to see them tanking it.

They can, they'll just need to wrangle 13 Democratic Senators in order to actually stop it - and more than 33 are already on record as supporting the President's stance.

Kolx

The people of Syria will be glad. With Iran exporting oil there won't be as much barrels left for Assad to fill with dynamite and shrapnel to be dropped on their heads.

+1

To free 100b for Iran is surely going to help stabilize the Middle East /s. This deal is good except this money shouldn't have been freed until Iran gave up on supporting Alassad by all means.

Cub3h

Banned
I'm glad we agree that the Saudis need to be stopped.

I find both the Iranian regime and the Saudi monarchy equally revolting and I'd like to see both have less regional and international influence. Hopefully through the slow move away from oil we can slowly distance ourselves from the Sauds so we don't need them as an ally any longer.

One thing I'll agree with most posters here with - this should be good for the average Iranian who has had it bad under the sanctions.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
This is awesome news, a big step towards reconciliation and peace on a grander scale. I agree that Iran would be a much more powerful ally for the West than shitty allies like Saudi Arabia and Israel.

I just hope that the Republicans don't find a way to fuck this up.

Also, some posters on here are pretty ridiculous, I'm gonna go ahead and assume most, if not all, are Israeli supporters. You guys are taking talking points straight out of the Fox News/Republican propaganda playbook, you should be ashamed.

norinrad

I dare say republicans are going to love Obama 20 years down the road.

Iran's potential is huge, a highly educated population too, very very happy. They are going to be an economic force and the Saudi's don't like that. We can't have a country next door where women can drive and have businesses.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
They're never was a real threat.

Bibi didn't have the balls to go against Iran, but that didn't stop him from lobbying the fuck out so America would do his dirty work instead. Luckily enough, Obama wasn't up to that shit. Israel is Iran's main adversary and has become the disruptive force in this process, to the point of its administration making an ass of themselves. They've made their best to poison the well while beating the war drums through this whole time. I mean, it's not like Israel spied on the negotiations and leaked its contents to the GOP in order to undermine President Obama and the White House.

The callouts are more than warranted.

Phased

Kerry is a far better Secretary of State than he ever would have been President.

This deal is good news for the entire world even if people can't see it yet. Cheap oil incoming.

Crisco

Banned
Uh, so what concessions did Iran win with this drawn out negotiation? A "maybe" on the arms embargo? Sounds like the exact same deal they announced months ago.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Uh, so what concessions did Iran win with this drawn out negotiation? A "maybe" on the arms embargo? Sounds like the exact same deal they announced months ago.

$100bn in Iranian assets around the world will be unfrozen, for starters.

I find a bit odd that most outlets are concentrating on what Iran will cede and nearly ignoring what is getting, which is no small potatoes either.

At the same time, Obama will issue presidential waivers suspending US economic and financial sanctions, and the EU will vote to lift its oil embargo and banking sanctions. The UN resolution would lift six layers of international sanctions, except for an arms embargo and restrictions on missile technology.

None of the sanctions relief measures will take immediate effect, but will be conditional on the IAEA verifying that Iran has carried out all its promised steps. The aim is to have this done by the end of the year.

At that point, $100bn in Iranian assets around the world will be unfrozen. Ordinary Iranians, however, will have to wait several months before feeling the economic benefits.

This is going to give Iran's economy a massive boost, providing it keeps its shit together and avoids curruption and mismanagement. The country has a significant industrial base and a well educated population, but also important issues with its infrastructure and a huge brain drain.

Rubenov

I can't help but think if Obama was white, with all the shit he's getting done, he would be at a 60% - 70% approval rate instead of a 50%.

Kerry is a far better Secretary of State than he ever would have been President.

This deal is good news for the entire world even if people can't see it yet. Cheap oil incoming.

He also makes Clinton's time as Secretary of State look like a complete waste. I suppose you could argue she laid some groundwork, but I think it's a sign of things to come with her as President.

Iran fights against ISIS while Saudi Arabia is reluctant to do anything because Saudi Arabia actually wants Assad removed.

So it's a no brainier to have Iran help with the fight against ISIS

Saudi Arabia don't care, they care more about bomibng Yemen than ISIS

thefro

Bibi didn't have the balls to go against Iran, but that didn't stop him from lobbying the fuck out so America would do his dirty work instead. Luckily enough, Obama wasn't up to that shit. Israel is Iran's main adversary and has become the disruptive force in this process, to the point of its administration making an ass of themselves. They've made their best to poison the well while beating the war drums through this whole time. I mean, it's not like Israel spied on the negotiations and leaked its contents to the GOP in order to undermine President Obama and the White House.

The callouts are more than warranted.

The irony is Bibi completely freaking out probably makes it an easier sell for enough Iran hardliners to accept the deal.

$100bn in Iranian assets around the world will be unfrozen, for starters.

I find a bit odd that most outlets are concentrating on what Iran will cede instead and nearly ignoring what is getting, which is no small potatoes either.

It's a tough, fair deal for both sides from all I've read on it. Seems like a pretty good agreement.

Good, good.

Iran is an ally we should have in the middle East. They have every reason to not trust us though.

Iran is good not to have as an enemy but they are not good as an ally. They are a repressive theocratic regime which imprison and torture thousands of their own citizens and are currently supporting the Syrian government dropping barrel bombs on its citizens and murdering thousands of people. People rightfully say the US was wrong to support Saddam Hussein's regime and the West should not support the Saudis, that supporting repressive regimes only fuels resentment and extremism. It is just as wrong to support Iran.

Iran is good not to have as an enemy but they are not good as an ally. They are a repressive theocratic regime which imprison and torture thousands of their own citizens and are currently supporting the Syrian government dropping barrel bombs on its citizens and murdering thousands of people. People rightfully say the US was wrong to support Saddam Hussein's regime and the West should not support the Saudis, that supporting repressive regimes only fuels resentment and extremism. It is just as wrong to support Iran.

By your reasoning, it would be wrong to support the US or any country that has had bad past leadership.

Stupid.

Kolx

I didn't know that we've reached a nuclear inspection deal with isreal.

Iran stand with Alassas who killed 1000s of innocents since the beginning of the rebellion against him. So yeah his statement is about Iran and it's correct.

Iran fights against ISIS while Saudi Arabia is reluctant to do anything because Saudi Arabia actually wants Assad removed.

So it's a no brainier to have Iran help with the fight against ISIS

Saudi Arabia don't care, they care more about bomibng Yemen than ISIS

ISIS committed multiple terrorist attacks in Saudi Arabia in the last month and Saudi is involved with the international coalition against ISIS so I don't see where is your statement coming from. there're tons of other options in Syria to support instead of them. Actually ISIS is still fighting rebellions in Syria so I don't see who would Saudi support them against the much greater number and important areas the rebellions have.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh I know that. I just find it funny how it can apply to isreal and yet there is such a weird double standard there.

The US has supported many repressive regimes in the past. And we continue to do so till this day. I'd rather Iran than Saudi.

Great, let's hand over billions of dollars to the World's leading sponsor of terrorism. That should work out well.

Looks like congratulations have already been received from Assad, who's ruthless government is propped up entirely by Iran (including a $1billion lifeline just last week)

Meanwhile the Iranian people suffer under the oppressive regime and atheists, gays, journalists et al, wonder how such liberal bastions as the US can throw them under the fucking bus.

The US has supported many repressive regimes in the past. And we continue to do so till this day. I'd rather Iran than Saudi.

I'd rather neither.

By your reasoning, it would be wrong to support the US or any country that has had bad past leadership.

Stupid.

Iran is still ruled by the same supreme leader. Their generally policy of expanding their influence in Arab and Sunni countries has bit changed.

There's only so much rouhani can do. I agree leadership changes can lead to different approaches but the basic underlying ruler of Iran hasn't changed.

Kolx

Oh I know that. I just find it funny how it can apply to isreal and yet there is such a weird double standard there.

Both countries do shit practices all over the ME. The ME right now is just a mess with the fight between Iran VS Isreal VS Turkey, Saudi Arabia & Qatar.

Ikael

+1

To free 100b for Iran is surely going to help stabilize the Middle East /s. This deal is good except this money shouldn't have been freed until Iran gave up on supporting Alassad by all means.

I will take a murder like Assad over his enemies, which consist in other equally murderous, yet X1000 times as bigoted ISIS-like guerrillas any day of the week. What about you?

As for stability in the Middle East, perhaps we should be focusing in stopping Saudi Arabia's current, very real Yemeni war rather than focusing on hypotetic, imaginary future Iranian conflicts.

But it seems that the Persian boogeyman is far too scary (and useful) for keeping many sectarian conflicts alive.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Good grief. This isn't even turning Iran into an ally or "supporting" it. That is not going to happen any time soon. America and Iran are going to remain adversaries for a good while. This is about fostering good relations and helping the country to steer into more agreeable positions, so maybe one day that can finally happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom