• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus

DukeBobby

SyyPF.jpg

Thanks, I'll be using this for a while.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game is great. After many, many, many, many, many, many, MANY attempts to get through a mission I thought was IMPOSSIBLE on expert, I got through the entire thing unseen with both targets taken out in accidents. So good.

Dazzyman

Got it yesterday. Love the 10" bobble head :). Started playing it in last hour and loving it. Big fan of the series and cannot see any probs with it so far. Usual odd bit of clunkiness to get used to it but that's Hitman. Scoring system is fine and you get more points for playing on harder difficulty. Playing on expert at moment but will move up to purist on 2nd play thru.

I'd definetly go for at least hard on this as it makes it more hitman than kill em all job as you get too many clues etc.. Playing on hard Ive only got one save only checkpoints and limited instinct. Yea there's a bit of scripting but it is engrossing.

Definite must buy for Hitman fans :). Really cheering me up with year I've had that's for sure!

Hmm, apparently you can kill just one of them (the other one isn't available in this mode or you have to unlock the level, I don't know.)

And yes they talk a lot :p

RevDM

Banned
fuck... all these decent reviews coming in... I might have to preorder again. I got arkham city goty for 30 bucks and it came today. I have a feeling I am not going to be sleeping from next Wed night till the following Mon morning.

Found a stream playthrough on twitch. Here It's the first hour or so of the game. The cutscenes are there so if you want to skip them just skip ahead in the video. There's also more videos on the guy's page which I haven't watched yet but most of them are an hour or more.

This one is better because of the way he's playing. The first stream was a test run apparently.

I just can't get over how ridicolous the disguise system looks. If it wasn't for that I might've actually been more inclined to buy it.
Also QTEs.

DukeBobby

fuck... all these decent reviews coming in... I might have to preorder again. I got arkham city goty for 30 bucks and it came today. I have a feeling I am not going to be sleeping from next Wed night till the following Mon morning.

Yes...yes..come over to the good side, RevDM.

Foffy

Banned
I just can't get over how ridicolous the disguise system looks. If it wasn't for that I might've actually been more inclined to buy it.
Also QTEs.

At least the QTEs aren't that bad. Compare the QTE takedowns to the clunky fucking mess of melee combat in Blood Money. Melee was supposed to be an early feature as far back as Silent Assassin, but IO's done such a poor job with it that they actually removed it for that game (in pre-release builds, you can punch normally, the final game makes melee a clunky cheat code) only to tiptoe into it until Blood Money.

At least the QTEs aren't that bad. Compare the QTE takedowns to the clunky fucking mess of melee combat in Blood Money. Melee was supposed to be an early feature as far back as Silent Assassin, but IO's done such a poor job with it that they actually removed it for that game (in pre-release builds, you can punch normally, the final game makes melee a clunky cheat code) only to tiptoe into it until Blood Money.

Yes, well, not saying BM was great, mind you, but QTEs are just pace-breaking. Since they seems to cover a pretty big part of the game they could've made a half-decent combat system.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
QTE's are not a big part of the game. The only one done often enough to matter is the choke out which consist of mashing one button.

Gbraga

Ok, I'll get it, any ideas of something to get using the 20% voucher? I was thinking about Sleeping Dogs' DLC, but using a cupom for $1 is such a waste.

JambiBum

Yes, well, not saying BM was great, mind you, but QTEs are just pace-breaking. Since they seems to cover a pretty big part of the game they could've made a half-decent combat system.

Has the phrase QTE just replaced button presses now? When I think of a QTE I think of scripted events that have a button flash in the middle of the screen, not individual combat moments that are completely triggered by the player. To me this is like saying that any time a button icon appears on the screen it is a QTE.

Has the phrase QTE just replaced button presses now? When I think of a QTE I think of scripted events that have a button flash in the middle of the screen, not individual combat moments that are completely triggered by the player. To me this is like saying that any time a button icon appears on the screen it is a QTE.

Yes, but pressing an apparently random sequence of buttons is not a good combat system.

JambiBum

Yes, but pressing an apparently random sequence of buttons is not a good combat system.

There's a difference between saying that you don't like the combat system because of the way it is built vs saying that the game is filled with QTEs.

And really, unless you are doing a lot of the fake surrenders/frontal attacks you won't even have to deal with it. The system is a step up from the clunky blood money system, but it could be better than it is now.

There's a difference between saying that you don't like the combat system because of the way it is built vs saying that the game is filled with QTEs.

And really, unless you are doing a lot of the fake surrenders/frontal attacks you won't even have to deal with it. The system is a step up from the clunky blood money system, but it could be better than it is now.

No, it's not a step up because now it actually breaks the pace, while not being any actually harder.
And again, it depends on your playstyle.
As for saying the game is filled with QTEs, I saw two scenes in particular that left me quite... embarassed, let's put it that way. They were basically QTEs, yeah.
It's optional, sure, but it's there, it's important and it should've been done better.

I pre-ordered it on GMG and I've been wasting my day playing the Sniper Challenge. 1.6m points and I think I've hit a wall. No multiplier.
yea rite

I pre-ordered it on GMG and I've been wasting my day playing the Sniper Challenge. 1.6m points and I think I've hit a wall. No multiplier.
yea rite

I thought I hit a wall, but then I managed to get it in the high 2 mil range. The moving headshot combo + hidden body bonus is the key. Some of the bodies are bloody difficult to hide though, and require precise timing and a bit of luck.

Top Bottom