• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

I pre-ordered it on GMG and I've been wasting my day playing the Sniper Challenge. 1.6m points and I think I've hit a wall. No multiplier.
yea rite

add me on steam. i need some friends to compare scores with. "CelticKennedy"

I thought I hit a wall, but then I managed to get it in the high 2 mil range. The moving headshot combo + hidden body bonus is the key. Some of the bodies are bloody difficult to hide though, and require precise timing and a bit of luck.

Yeah, sometimes I will have to shoot them twice to push their corpse the rest of the way over a ledge or balcony. So far I can only get x12 hidden bodies multiplier.

JambiBum

No, it's not a step up because now it actually breaks the pace, while not being any actually harder.
And again, it depends on your playstyle.
As for saying the game is filled with QTEs, I saw two scenes in particular that left me quite... embarassed, let's put it that way. They were basically QTEs, yeah.
It's optional, sure, but it's there, it's important and it should've been done better.

How does it break the pace? Unless you are running around the entire level and not taking your time, I don't see how it does. It's slow yes, but Hitman is a slow game in general. Unless you go guns crazy of course. In BM you would just punch a guy until he fell over awkwardly. There was no actual combat system to speak of. Punching someone in BM was hilarious and fun, but it was also super awkward.

Actually, to anyone who has the game already, can you punch people without a weapon in your hand like you could before or is a button prompt always needed?

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
How does it break the pace? Unless you are running around the entire level and not taking your time, I don't see how it does. It's slow yes, but Hitman is a slow game in general. Unless you go guns crazy of course. In BM you would just punch a guy until he fell over awkwardly. There was no actual combat system to speak of. Punching someone in BM was hilarious and fun, but it was also super awkward.

Actually, to anyone who has the game already, can you punch people without a weapon in your hand like you could before or is a button prompt always needed?

If you are unarmed and attack someone, you will go into the qte.

It breaks the pace because, assuming you want to disarm someone, instead of having a quick (and awkward) series of punches you have to subdue a button prompt. Imagine if you did this multiple times in a level. Not my style, but might be someone's.

Dazzyman

If your watching the fighting videos then forget it! You won't be doing it on expert or above as you will be dead. I've yet to use QTE fighting, it really is a non issue. As for pressing buttons for choke etc...well it's part of the game, works fine, repeatedly tap X for few secs to choke or 2secs then y to snap neck, or just garrotte which is instant button press. Anyone thinking you go in brawling with QTEs all time you don't, it's a stealth game so don't worry bout em! The harder the difficulty the less time you have anyway to react to QTE fighting to disco rouge it :).

It's about being sneaky and creating accidents!

What do you think is wrong with disguises Dyni?

To put it simply - the disguises rely on the Istinct bar. Now, the bar doesn't reload on higher difficulties, if I understand this correctly. This makes sense since the bar also works for point shooting, but it doesn't work well for disguises because there are only two apparent ways to recharge it: reaching the objective and killing. Assuming I don't want to kill anyone more than necessary (Silent Assassin), the game basically becomes trial and error, because as soon as the bar runs out enemies start to spot you, which ends in either you playing hide and seek - which loses the purpose of the disguise - or in killing someone, which goes against what I intended to do. That's what I figured from the gameplays.

To put it simply - the disguises rely on the Istinct bar. Now, the bar doesn't reload on higher difficulties, if I understand this correctly. This makes sense since the bar also works for point shooting, but it doesn't work well for disguises because there are only two apparent ways to recharge it: reaching the objective and killing. Assuming I don't want to kill anyone more than necessary (Silent Assassin), the game basically becomes trial and error, because as soon as the bar runs out enemies start to spot you, which ends in either you playing hide and seek - which loses the purpose of the disguise - or in killing someone, which goes against what I intended to do. That's what I figured from the gameplays.

Sometimes its just about finding the right disguise for the level. Some you will not have to use blend at all. Or just keep you distance from one or two types of enemies. Also staying hidden in crowds helps as well.

I'm pretty sure anytime you put a knockd out person in a dumpter, or say turn off a survaliance terminal or anything thats crucial to the level progression you get more instinct. IIRC.

DukeBobby

You can also recharge it by picking up evidence scattered around each mission. They are basically collectibles, but I don't know what other function they serve (I'm guessing there's a challenge to collect all of the evidence).

JambiBum

Instinct only lets you "improve" your disguises by letting you walk right next to someone and then hiding your face. If you are dressed as a guard then non guards will just think that you are a guard but other guards will be suspicious if you get to close. Without Instinct the system is almost exactly like the BM system. Stand to close to someone and they will notice you, keep a decent distance and you will be just fine.

That's pretty fucking stupid. NPCs should either see past your disguise, or not. This "instinct" shit should have no bearing on crucial elements like that.

Sometimes its just about finding the right disguise for the level. Some you will not have to use blend at all. Or just keep you distance from one or two types of enemies. Also staying hidden in crowds helps as well.

Of course crowds help, but that doesn't work in closed levels (which are a majority from what I've gathered). Also, again, finding the right disguise might mean you'd have to kill/knock out more than one person, and it still ends in trial and error, which is what I'd wanted to avoid.

I'm pretty sure anytime you put a knockd out person in a dumpter, or say turn off a survaliance terminal or anything thats crucial to the level progression you get more instinct. IIRC.

Yes, as I said, going further with the level. Problem is getting there.

Instinct only lets you "improve" your disguises by letting you walk right next to someone and then hiding your face. If you are dressed as a guard then non guards will just think that you are a guard but other guards will be suspicious if you get to close. Without Instinct the system is almost exactly like the BM system. Stand to close to someone and they will notice you, keep a decent distance and you will be just fine.

From what I've seen, guards with your same disguise start to notice you from a pretty large distance (in closed levels).

Made 10 avatars for use. Enjoy!

fKA1d.jpg

thanks. only a few more days!

MMaRsu

Exactly why this feels less like a real hitman game the disguise/instinct design sucks.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Of course it is. But, especially with that disguise system, things might get nasty, which is why I could need a quick disarming. I'd rather take the awkward but fast system from BM, honestly.

Once again, it is meant to be like this. Subduing someone is slow, but quiet. A kill is faster, but loud. You decide if the tradeoff is worth it. With planning, it always is I have come to find.

And disguises are a lot harder to use, which I like much more than the older system. As I have said before, this makes some levels very much like Splinter Cell. Lots of slow, methodical movement, distractions and good use of cover. It feels great the sneak through a group of guys you are disguised as, then come around a corner and walk right past someone else. As far as stealth games go, this one is very good.

Once again, it is meant to be like this. Subduing someone is slow, but quiet. A kill is faster, but loud. You decide if the tradeoff is worth it. With planning, it always is I have come to find.

And disguises are a lot harder to use, which I like much more than the older system. As I have said before, this makes some levels very much like Splinter Cell. Lots of slow, methodical movement, distractions and good use of cover. It feels great the sneak through a group of guys you are disguised as, then come around a corner and walk right past someone else. As far as stealth games go, this one is very good.

That doesn't sound like the kind of game I'd play. Splinter Cell worked because it had the really great shadow system, but I think this one doesn't have any, right? Level design could be the saving grace, but I'm not impressed with what I've seen (although certainly not disappointed - it simply feels average).

You can also recharge it by picking up evidence scattered around each mission. They are basically collectibles, but I don't know what other function they serve (I'm guessing there's a challenge to collect all of the evidence).

Hey is it true that picking up these collectibles helps your end-level rating?

you already got your GMG key? Did you pre-order today or a while back?

I pre-ordered today and I only got the code to redeem on the Hitman page for the Sniper Challenge, not the main game.

I thought I hit a wall, but then I managed to get it in the high 2 mil range. The moving headshot combo + hidden body bonus is the key. Some of the bodies are bloody difficult to hide though, and require precise timing and a bit of luck.

Yeah, expected as much. I'll try some other day, it's really fun. Already said it in the Steam thread but I'd love to play a Hitman sniper spin-off like this.

add me on steam. i need some friends to compare scores with. "CelticKennedy"

Will do :)

Foffy

Banned
That doesn't sound like the kind of game I'd play. Splinter Cell worked because it had the really great shadow system, but I think this one doesn't have any, right? Level design could be the saving grace, but I'm not impressed with what I've seen (although certainly not disappointed - it simply feels average).

I'm sure previous Hitman games took into account of shadows and sounds, for example. It may have not had a meter, but running out in the rain in Tracking Hayamoto in Silent Assassin allowed you to run at a closer distance to enemies before getting alerted. There was also the ability of turning off lights, making it harder for enemies to see you.

I'm sure previous Hitman games took into account of shadows and sounds, for example. It may have not had a meter, but running out in the rain in Tracking Hayamoto in Silent Assassin allowed you to run at a closer distance to enemies before getting alerted. There was also the ability of turning off lights, making it harder for enemies to see you.

Yes, of course. But it wasn't really that important, and I'm not so sure about Absolution. Waiting for who played it to confirm.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

So you have been trying to tell me how the game works for half a page now, and you haven't even played it. Wow.

Foffy

Banned
I don't actually have the game yet, I've just seen some videos showing people pick up evidence.

I'm not sure if it affects your rating, but somebody who has the game should know.

I know for sure
there's an achievement for it. No idea if collecting evidence has any other purpose.

So you have been trying to tell me how the game works for half a page now, and you haven't even played it. Wow.

Yes? While I do have the money to buy it, I don't intend to spend money without first realizing whether I'd like it or not. I've studied gameplay videos to understand the mechanics, and this is what I found out.

Exactly what I thought when I read that.

Yes? While I do have the money to buy it, I don't intend to spend money without first realizing whether I'd like it or not. I've studied gameplay videos to understand the mechanics, and this is what I found out.

Nevermind.... He has studied gameplay videos guys. We've got an expert here.

How about this?

Name: Revenge of the chipmunk
Level: Streets of hope
Disguise: Chipmunk
Weapons: Kill 3 targets (incl. one police officer) with explosives at once
Other: Remain undetected, don't change clothes.

Hah I love this. Genius.

Dazzyman

Think some peeps are getting the preview videos and panicking a bit...don't worry :)

In the prologue/training level everything you are given guidance on goes into slowmo so it's deceiving. For example the fighting!

The lower the difficulty the more the aids. Fighting is slower more QTE, you get more time to slowmo tag shoot etc...enemies spot you less easily and take longer to become aggressive. You use your ability to hide your face from someone wearing the same clothes as these are the only people that can see thru that disguise in that section as they know each others faces. The higher the difficulty the quicker your ability runs out to hide your face, they come further out when they first see you, and the quicker your cover is blown.

On Disguises for example in an area with say chefs and guards, if you subdue/kill the chef and take his outfit you can walk around without the guards noticing you even up close. Guards will still spot blood on floor and be on alert etc...

Also the higher the difficulty the more enemies and the more smarter they are. For example on hard I switched on a radio and the mark came to switch it off so easy takedown. On expert he sent his goons :)

On expert the fighting is fast and a informative button display for what button to press in real time. On lower levels it gradually moves more and more into a QTE slowdown.

The areas are also highlighted with ability on lower difficulties for accident spots were on higher it's not so you have more to puzzle solve. As the ability runs down so quickly on higher difficulty it changes tactics drastically, like I said accident and stealth game which is what it's meant to be. Very clever how they have managed to cater for everyone and it has a fantastic scoring system for replaying, not forgetting contracts :)

I think the GlacierEngine2 is really awesome and yeah, it's one of the best looking games of the current gen. Best looking third party game? Hmm...yes (imo!)

I would ease up a little on that man. Hyping it up way too much. It seems some people are just waiting to find something about this game to tear it apart.

It's a great looking game...for people who like bloom. Not ragging...I love the look too. Certain levels looks like they are dead on representative of the concept art. I just think there are going to be some people you it will bother and wish they could turn it off or something.

I would ease up a little on that man. Hyping it up way too much. It seems some people are just waiting to find something about this game to tear it apart.

Uhm. Not to sound defensive, but if that was directed to me, I just pointed out what I felt was wrong with the game. I dunno why people actually thought I had played it.

Top Bottom