• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hitman is never going to be popular with the Doritoati. It's too slow paced and "trial and error." An 82 is pretty good.

MMaRsu

Which mission number are you up to?

So far ive played at my buddy's house so hes a bit further i have so far played 11 out of 20 chapters.

Time played was 8hrs on hard.

The graphics are very good by the way. I played the ps3 version and there is no tearing or fps drops. Its a better game than conviction for sure.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So far ive played at my buddy's house so hes a bit further i have so far played 11 out of 20 chapters.

Time played was 8hrs on hard.

The graphics are very good by the way. I played the ps3 version and there is no tearing or fps drops. Its a better game than conviction for sure.

Well conviction is a full on shitbortion so that's good news!

EvB

Mine arrived today , had a go on the first level.

Whilst I suspect it will never reach the heights of planning (or repeatedly failing) the perfect kill in Blood Money, it still feels like a Hitman game so far.

Right down to the pointless plot, the ropey graphics, ropey physics and the weird glitches.

I got locked in a 5 minute long slo motion QTE with a bodyguard at one point.

Mine arrived today , had a go on the first level.

Whilst I suspect it will never reach the heights of planning (or repeatedly failing) the perfect kill in Blood Money, it still feels like a Hitman game so far.

Right down to the pointless plot, the ropey graphics, ropey physics and the weird glitches.

I got locked in a 5 minute long slo motion QTE with a bodyguard at one point.

It will.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Man this game is so much better going for Silent Assassin, Accidents and Suit only. Only bits I'm stuck on is when it comes down to the evidence that needs collecting in certain areas.

Normally it's easy but when going for Suit Only it becomes a tough challenge. Everytime I replay a level I find a new way of killing the targets. Still haven't played Contracts.

ScOULaris

Sounds like the reviews are confirming some of my worst fears about this game, but I still plan on picking it up. I'm a diehard fan of the series, and it has been too long since I've played a Hitman game.

That being said, I've always hated the thematic direction of the series ever since Contracts. Hitman 2 will probably always be my favorite for several reasons: it has the most interesting plot, I love the globetrotting mission structure, it has some of the best missions in the series (and some of the worst), and most importantly it just has this sleek, European feel about it. Ever since Contracts, the Hitman series has been blanketed in this grim, grimy, faux-Americana vibe that has never sat well with me. I want 47 to be infiltrating beautiful, high-end places and silently taking out powerful targets. I don't want to play as some sadistic murderer with a tortured soul, offing one scummy thug after the next. Absolution, unfortunately, appears to be taking this trend to new extremes. Everything I've seen indicates that the sleek, stylish vibe from Hitman 2 is nothing more than a very distant memory at this point. Hitman is now a gritty murder simulator with arguably less choice and player agency than ever before.

But I will still be buying Absolution, like I said. Even though it's not the direction that I'd like for the series, there's still nothing out there like Hitman. I'd take even a subpar, overly hand-holding Hitman game over another linear cinematic experience any day.

Foffy

Banned
Sorry, but this is embarrassing to watch (SPOILERS):
http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=wh3a4stNaf4

Facepalm.gif

Hitman fans please be honest about this.

It's pretty dumb, yes, but there's other ways to go about it. Don't do the mission that way. I do admit what 47 does is stupid as hell.

apesh1t

Banned
So it looks like the PS3 is the better version (not counting PC)? Is this a "thing" with Square Enix? There has been several other ports where the PS3 version was superior. Not complaining, need more games for my PS3.

Sorry, but this is embarrassing to watch (SPOILERS):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3a4stNaf4

Facepalm.gif

Hitman fans please be honest about this.

Ah! I do that mission twice (to test others difficult setting) and I've never done this fight. But is not bad, just another way to kill him, sure is a little over the top compared to the previous games.

For me the problem lying not in this kind of mission, but when Absolution tries to be Splinter Cell too much, but we are talking about just a couple of stages, not so much.

BTW, the design is horrible, Blood Money look so elegant, Absolution so gritty and voulgar.

ScOULaris

BTW, the design is horrible, Blood Money look so elegant, Absolution so gritty and voulgar.

Precisely what I was talking about a couple of posts up, although I think that everything following Hitman 2 looks vulgar by comparison. I love the contrast of killing targets in bright, posh locales in Hitman 2. This gritty stuff just isn't working for me.

Ah! I do that mission twice (to test others difficult setting) and I've never done this fight. But is not bad, just another way to kill him, sure is a little over the top compared to the previous games.

For me the problem lying not in this kind of mission, but when Absolution tries to be Splinter Cell too much, but we are talking about just a couple of stages, not so much.

Can you still get Silent Assassin with other methods? People are saying this is the only way.

Regardless, I don't understand why Silent Assassin rating is not limited to Expert/Purist.

wow, very surprised to find this on my doorstep this morning. I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I'm very surprised it's already here. this is the earliest I have ever received a game. really excited to play it.

I saw another plathrough of this level where he shot all the guys in the first part and STILL got Silent Assassin. What's up with the rating system?

I think someone mentioned that whatever happens before doesn't matter, it's the match itself that grants you the rank.
How that's Silent, I don't know. It's not like it's completely senseless, it's just... meh.

EDIT: Here.

RevDM

Banned
Awesome ideas for the next Hitman game:

2 Targets:
- Surgeon who is involved in blackmarket organ selling
- Patient awaiting routine check up

Fun ways to kill/incapacitate:
- Strangulation by stethoscope
- Sedation by anesthesia
- Explosion via oxygen leak

Costumes:
- laboratory coat
- scrubs
- chaplain
- janitor

Places to hide dead body:
- morgue

Escape:
- Rooftop helicopter

ScOULaris

This thread begs the question: Will the dilution/dumbing down of gameplay systems ever reverse course? Or will things just continue to get worse for those of us who have been gaming most of our lives?

What's wrong with all the haters? This is a very good stealth game with multiple ways to reach your goal. SC Conviction was a bad game and it was not stealth at all.

I played the level twice and never did the fight.
First time: Accident- Kill
Second time: Sniper Rifle kill from a safe place (I made it safe hehe)

And there are many other ways to kill him.

This thread begs the question: Will the dilution/dumbing down of gameplay systems ever reverse course? Or will things just continue to get worse for those of us who have been gaming most of our lives?

Meh, not every game is dumbed down. The difference is that now the bad and dumbed down games are more advertised, I think. Just know what you buy.

What's wrong with all the haters? This is a very good stealth game with multiple ways to reach your goal. SC Conviction was a bad game and it was not stealth at all.

I played the level twice and never did the fight.
First time: Accident- Kill
Second time: Sniper Rifle kill from a safe place (I made it safe hehe)

And there are many other ways to kill him.

It's not hating. Believe me, I've been dying for a new Hitman for ages, but what I've seen isn't really compelling. I already posted my "whys" above, when people somehow believed I actually had the gmae.

I think someone mentioned that whatever happens before doesn't matter, it's the match itself that grants you the rank.
How that's Silent, I don't know. It's not like it's completely senseless, it's just... meh.

EDIT: Here.

That's fucked up. Seems like getting a good rating is no longer based on player skill but figuring out the particular way the game wants you to kill your target.

The game could use some easy-to-implement fixes:

1. Restrict SA at least to Professional difficulties (Hard, Expert, Purist).

2. Fix checkpoint system so it counts your performance through multiple sections (I think this will get fixed quickly via patch).

Seems like most complaints come from people who played Absolution on Normal yet expect hardcore Hitman experience.

ScOULaris

The bad news keeps rolling in as I read impressions from people on other forums who got it early:

- You can holster rifles. That's right. You can just hide a sniper rifle or machine gun under your suit.
- You can't drop weapons or place them in containers. Why would they remove this?!
- Killed targets and guards all respawn at a checkpoint if you die, and oftentimes the checkpoint places you back right next to the target that you previously killed. WHAT?!

And I've been staying away from the spoilery videos that everyone is groaning about on here. I still want to get this game to support the series, but color me worried.

RevDM

Banned
The bad news keeps rolling in as I read impressions from people on other forums who got it early:

- You can holster rifles. That's right. You can just hide a sniper rifle or machine gun under your suit.
- You can't drop weapons or place them in containers. Why would they remove this?!
- Killed targets and guards all respawn at a checkpoint if you die, and oftentimes the checkpoint places you back right next to the target that you previously killed. WHAT?!

And I've been staying away from the spoilery videos that everyone is groaning about on here. I still want to get this game to support the series, but color me worried.

If they took out dropping weapons I'm assuming they also took out patdowns and metal detectors.

MMaRsu

Yup that is all true. You can hide a sniper rifle and a shotgun under your coat.

checkpoints are annoying as shit. Why would you want to be dependant on where the devs think it's a good place to checkpoint? Fuck that noise.

Actually this video was pretty damn spot on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cHhxcu5n28A#t=212s

If they took out dropping weapons I'm assuming they also took out patdowns and metal detectors.

Yes.

Actually so many things are taken out compared to previous games it's not even funny.

jimi_dini

The rating is ONLY for the LAST segment/loaded area of the level. This only seems to have a significant effect on a few levels (King of Chinatown probably won't suffer because it's a one segment level, and other levels of similar design won't either)

So in this context, the only part of the level "graded" was essentially 'The Arena' - when he was all dressed up and preparing to/fighting Sanchez. It's why when the level finished there wasn't all the marks deducted for kills and the title/score in the top reset when he loaded that area.

YOU GOT TO BE SHITTING ME.

FUCK THIS GAME.

SparkTR

Graphics comparison on this video, it looks stunning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw-EajsObOo&feature=g-all-u

The PC version looks fantastic, Nixxes is really showing their experience with the platform. Looks like it's going on my SSD though.

This sounds awful. How you interact with the games systems is why Hitman was so beloved, I was hoping they'd add more systems into the mix instead of cutting-out or streamlining current ones. Ah well, I've accepted this as a Hitman-lite kind of game.

MMaRsu

From Edge

"It's at it's best, in other words, when it's simply being Hitman. But Absolution spends a great deal of time not being Hitman at all, at least not as we know it.

More importantly, only a precious few of Absolution's stages take the form of typical hits. There's a couple of stand out non-hit levels [...] but the rest are guard-filled stealth sections with snappy action sequences, or quasi-traditional levels that do have targets but drop 47 in hostile environments from the start. [...] they seem eager to nudge you towards conflict.

Absolution would rather players adapt to mistakes than reload, too; the inability to save whenever you wish can lead to punitive restarts."

They loved the contracts multi player mode and say it even saves some of the game's weaker levels by allowing you to create your own missions.

Like I said, it's above Conviction but surely very much below BM or other Hitman games in my opinion.

Top Bottom