• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Amazon uk have dispatched my deluxe edition.

I am so fucking ready for this game, hype is high.

please be great
Why haven't they mine? D:
It was the regular version, but still. Was yours supposed to be dispatched on monday but they did it a little earlier?

From Edge

Like I said, it's above Conviction but surely very much below BM or other Hitman games in my opinion.
Was it stated somewhere on what difficulty they were playing? Apparently it matters a lot with this game.

Okay I'm out of here. I want to enjoy my GotY and the best stealth game this gen. If you don't like it then don't buy it.

But I want to buy it. I want it to be good. But since it's not here for most of us we can only discuss on what we can see - which is, not good stuff.

Nah, he's entitled to his disappointment. The devs really told fans to go suck a big, fat one with this dumbed down sequel to a beloved franchise. Ugh.

I guess you have a point, yeah. I'm more disappointed because it looks like a mediocre game on its own.

jimi_dini

This will no doubt be patched. No way they can keep it like that.

This is not a bug. It's a conscious design decision, someone did that on purpose. You shot all the guards in the chunk before? Don't mind, you will still get SA ranking, if you don't do it again in the LAST chunk. Kill your target in a totally scripted QTE-fest? Still get SA. We don't want to make it hard for anyone lol. And they called the previous rating system confusing.

Nah, he's entitled to his disappointment. The devs really told fans to go suck a big, fat one with this dumbed down sequel to a beloved franchise. Ugh.

I do not see it. Sorry, I just don't. I plan to play on Expert and later Purist. No checkpoints for me. Disguises are only partially useful - ppl wearing the same clothes like you will recognize you are not one of them. This makes sense. No more running around with 'invincible' disguise.

Add to it increased reaction time from the NPCs. Add more hostile NPCs.

I love it how all the people proclaiming to be 'true Hitman fans' are complaining about the game features on Normal difficulty, when it is so obvious major system changes were made as difficulty level goes up.

This is not a bug. It's a conscious design decision, someone did that on purpose. You shot all the guards in the chunk before? Don't mind, you will still get SA ranking, if you don't do it again in the LAST chunk. Kill your target in a totally scripted QTE-fest? Still get SA. We don't want to make it hard for anyone lol. And they called the previous rating system confusing.

I do not think it is a conscious design decision. Making the game 'accessible' for everyone was already done - Normal is easy beyond compare, you can play it as CoD and see the ending. And that is what 'accessible' means - to make it for people to see the ending, nothing more.

I do not see it. Sorry, I just don't. I plan to play on Expert and later Purist. No checkpoints for me. Disguises are only partially useful - ppl wearing the same clothes like you will recognize you are not one of them. This makes sense. No more running around with 'invincible' disguise.

Just because you'll play without checkpoints, it doesn't mean the game isn't structured around them. It is a more linear experience. Whether you like it or not it's up to you to decide, of course, but the fact is still there.
Also, I'd rather be 'invincible' than going back to trial and error, honestly.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The bad news keeps rolling in as I read impressions from people on other forums who got it early:

- You can holster rifles. That's right. You can just hide a sniper rifle or machine gun under your suit.
- You can't drop weapons or place them in containers. Why would they remove this?!
- Killed targets and guards all respawn at a checkpoint if you die, and oftentimes the checkpoint places you back right next to the target that you previously killed. WHAT?!

And I've been staying away from the spoilery videos that everyone is groaning about on here. I still want to get this game to support the series, but color me worried.

:|

this is bad,really bad.

RevDM

Banned
Some things I really don't like about Absolution:

- The option to throw/melee with many different objects (where are my coins at?)
- Adopting garrote over fiberwire
- Not being able to retrieve suit when changing costumes (it's with you all the time?)

Trigunner

This sounds like SR3 for me all over again. At least with Absolution I know beforehand not to expect everything I loved about past entries.

but Blood Money's dumbing down was okay
Blood Money sure was dumbed down, but could still be played in an old school, challenging kind of way, because there was a lot of freedom. It seems that Absolution is further dumbed down in a way that limits the freedom compared to BM. But it's still possible that this could also be played old shool style.

How was BM a dumbed down version of 2/Contracts?

infinite supply of coins + knocking out people via human shield somehow not mattering to your overall rating = easiest Silent Assassin runs in the entire series

I liked the Hitman games not only for their flexibility but for their brutal difficulty in attaining a Silent Assassin rating, Blood Money removed much of the latter

Purist mode in Absolution sounds like a welcome return to form to folks like myself.

infinite supply of coins + knocking out people via human shield somehow not mattering to your overall rating = easiest Silent Assassin runs in the entire series
Horse shit, SA was still a challenge in BM. The npcs were super perceptive on higher difficulties, human shields wasn't that useful. The coins I can agree with .

I liked the Hitman games not only for their flexibility but for their brutal difficulty in attaining a Silent Assassin rating, Blood Money removed much of the latter

Purist mode in Absolution sounds like a welcome return to form to folks like myself.
You'll join me and play on purist on your first run, right? ;D

Mr Swine

Banned
Horse shit, SA was still a challenge in BM. The npcs were super perceptive on higher difficulties, human shields wasn't that useful. The coins I can agree with .

Well you can lure npcs by dropping weapons in a room and open a door so they will just waltz in so you can kill them very easy in the higher difficulties

ScOULaris

Purist mode sounds great for the levels that are actually Hitman-esque, but it won't be any fun on the linear, QTE-riddled levels that the early reviews have mentioned. That's the whole problem. Different difficulty levels are nice, but they don't amount to shit if the level design and overall gameplay mechanics have been dumbed down to hell.

A lot of people here complain maybe for the right things but without knowing the context where those features have to work.

This game is really good, not a GOTY, not a masterpiece, but still a very good experience.

It was nothing compared to previous games. You get SA almost every time if you don't screw up really bad. Even on the highest dificulty.

I play on Pro and the enemies are still stupid as hell. Knocking people out via human shields is very useful because there's literally no consequence in doing so and it saves on anesthetic syringes.

Yea power unlimited is a bastion of good reviews. I remember when they gave mario kart a 6 (snes).

This game aint no 9. Its a solid 8 but there are plenty of complaints. 7.5 seems about right.

And yeah being funneled into a slow motion shootout is fucking stupid.

Or Shenmue a 7. Best game of all time for me. Damn you Jan-Johan Belderok (JJ). I STILL remember that awful review of him. And he is not a fan of Japanese games.

BUT, i do respect Power Unlimted. This magazine was part of my childhood and still exists. They started in 1993.

I play on Pro and the enemies are still stupid as hell. Knocking people out via human shields is very useful because there's literally no consequence in doing so and it saves on anesthetic syringes.
I never even used human shield (because I usually didn't bring a firearm with me) and it was still quite easy. The AI was just so forgiving.

I never even used human shield (because I usually didn't bring a firearm with me) and it was still quite easy. The AI was just so forgiving.

Meh. I won't deny it's easy, but the older AI was more frustrating than anything else. I'm always in for a challenge, but I never felt it was fair in SA (mostly because the AI was quite insane for me).

BibiMaghoo

Why haven't they mine? D:
It was the regular version, but still. Was yours supposed to be dispatched on monday but they did it a little earlier?

After the debacle of Halo 4, I didn't think they would dispatch till Monday, but its gone out today. Maybe because I had to buy halo elsewhere and sent their copy back for a refund. Its a courier aswell, not royal mail. That may be why as its a larger box.

After the debacle of Halo 4, I didn't think they would dispatch till Monday, but its gone out today. Maybe because I had to buy halo elsewhere and sent their copy back for a refund. Its a courier aswell, not royal mail. That may be why as its a larger box.
Yeah, probably because of that. Such a shame, was hoping for a moment that I would get it a little earlier. It was a little unrealistic to expect that though.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
PS3 version looks sharper than the 360 version in this video. And i was planning to buy the 360 version. It's nice to have both consoles.
Tore Blystad confirmed on twitter the PS3 version was the lead platform if that helps

web01

Haha wow this game is a complete mess. All the people that called out the devs for their BS have been vindicated.

Oh and to make matters worse that are already selling shit loads of weapon DLC, now it makes sense why they added shoot outs.

cartridge

Banned
It's a shame that so many reviewers are rating Absolution on Normal difficulty with so many of their complaints being nonexistent on the harder difficulties. The game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play with dual Bartolis. I think the only thing I would fix is the shaky ragdolling in 47's hand when he drags victims, and maybe add more variation to the enemy faces.

derFeef

It's a shame that so many reviewers are rating Absolution on Normal difficulty with so many of their complaints being nonexistent on the harder difficulties. The game looks fantastic and I can't wait to play with dual Bartolis. I think the only thing I would fix is the shaky ragdolling in 47's hand when he drags victims.

It would be their job to try the game on different difficulties. Especially a game like this where mechanics change, even. But we are asking for too much I guess.

cartridge

Banned
It would be their job to try the game on different difficulties. Especially a game like this where mechanics change, even. But we are asking for too much I guess.

True. I think IO sort of shot themselves in the foot on the game rating by not making Hard the Normal difficulty.

RevDM

Banned
Let's talk about the inevitable patches that are going to come through:

- Guards don't respawn on checkpoint reload

Top Bottom