• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Odrion

Banned
Purist mode sounds great for the levels that are actually Hitman-esque, but it won't be any fun on the linear, QTE-riddled levels that the early reviews have mentioned. That's the whole problem. Different difficulty levels are nice, but they don't amount to shit if the level design and overall gameplay mechanics have been dumbed down to hell.
Bingo Bango Blango.

There sure are a lot of people trying to ignore the criticisms piling up on this game.

Edit: There sure are a lot of people who're playing this game early. I wonder how?

jimi_dini

I do not think it is a conscious design decision.

You want to tell me that noone figured out that the rating system is broken and only rates the last chunk? Come on. Even Bethesda would have noticed this.

Making the game 'accessible' for everyone was already done - Normal is easy beyond compare

But you need to get SA at least once for a trophy. So dumbing this down even more does make sense in that regard. And you could shoot yourself through Blood Money as well (on the lowest difficulty setting).

How does it even work, when you get to a new chunk. Will it autosave there? Or will it restart on the first chunk, if you restart (in case of the higher difficulties)?

- Not being able to retrieve suit when changing costumes (it's with you all the time?)

Getting back your suit was required to get SA in Blood Money on highest difficulty. :( So you can chance back whenever you want?

justjim89

Sorry, but this is embarrassing to watch (SPOILERS):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3a4stNaf4

Facepalm.gif

Hitman fans please be honest about this.

I don't see what's so bad about that besides the desperate attempt at trolling by the uploader. This isn't so different than killing the opera singer onstage yourself in Curtains Down, really.

Bingo Bango Blango.

There sure are a lot of people trying to ignore the criticisms piling up on this game.

Edit: There sure are a lot of people who're playing this game early. I wonder how?

Just as much as there are people who overlook praise by those who have played the game in this thread. People can say whatever they want but much of the most vocal critics in this thread lionize Blood Money to a ridiculous degree whereas I found it a flawed game that did some things better and some things worse than its predecessor.

Foffy

Banned
Oh guys, can you quick snap necks from behind like in blood money?

Yes. Though the option to snap necks is done by subduing an enemy, whereas in Blood Money it was a quick animation if using fibre wire didn't trigger a working animation in context.

Oh and to make matters worse that are already selling shit loads of weapon DLC, now it makes sense why they added shoot outs.

Those are all pre-order weapons...who cares? Every fucking game does this now, so I just ignore it.

Odrion

Banned
This thread begs the question: Will the dilution/dumbing down of gameplay systems ever reverse course? Or will things just continue to get worse for those of us who have been gaming most of our lives?
There are some Devs that know what is up in terms of making a series more assesible while keeping it's identity. Firaxis is a good example, unfortunately IO is not Firaxis.
Just as much as there are people who overlook praise by those who have played the game in this thread. People can say whatever they want but much of the most vocal critics in this thread lionize Blood Money to a ridiculous degree whereas I found it a flawed game that did some things better and some things worse than its predecessor.
Except that any critic worth a damn is confirming the narrative that Absolution is a bland mush of a title. I don't care what some kid who got his copy off of a torrent site has to say.

jimi_dini

This isn't so different than killing the opera singer onstage yourself in Curtains Down, really.

No QTEs. None of the methods were basically cutscenes. And 47 also didn't take off his disguise in any of them, especially not when
being the actor and shooting with a real gun
. And if the player did that shit, he definitely wouldn't have received Silent Assassin.

RevDM

Banned
There are some Devs that know what is up in terms of making a series more assesible while keeping it's identity. Firaxis is a good example, unfortunately IO is not Firaxis.

Indie games will get better and better in production at the expense of fancy graphics, story, voice acting, less polished gameplay, etc. Eventually, we will be the hipsters of video games.

diamount

Banned
PC version from shopto arrived today but can't play it until Tuesday, I'm not even able to install it from the disc after activating my serial.

Odrion

Banned
No QTEs. None of the methods were basically cutscenes. And 47 also didn't take off his disguise in any of them, especially not when
. And if the player did that shit, he definitely wouldn't have received Silent Assassin.
Also an assassin disguising himself as an actor to fire a real gun is cool as fuck and is something that could very well have been a plot point in some tense thriller. Maybe 90s Clint Eastwood would've been there, forcing his way through the theater guards saying "No! That's not the real actor!" while the assassin lifts his gun as the crescendo rises.

QTE Luchador boss fights are just dumb.

Haha wow this game is a complete mess. All the people that called out the devs for their BS have been vindicated.

Oh and to make matters worse that are already selling shit loads of weapon DLC, now it makes sense why they added shoot outs.

Have we forgotten that the other games allowed for smgs and assault rifles to be used?

We're right back around again I see. Can't wait to play. It's almost like people don't want the game to succeed at all because "how dare IO Interactive change anything!"

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Has anyone seen anything about the HD collection? It's not apparently out until December/2013. Nothing official from Square even though we've seen a few leaks but still no videos or screens.

I don't see the point of releading a HD version of Blood Money since it looked perfectly fine on X360. I would of rather had CN47 redone. Makes me wonder if they are getting a good upgrade or maybe SA/Contracts will use a better looking engine such as Blood Money had.

justjim89

Right, except for the fact that 47 was acting appropriately in the situation, just like in the play. He was in a fight, so he fought. And you want to talk about revealing himself? Throughout the play rehearsal, anyone could see 47's face through the disguise and see the fact that he is not the man who was there in the last rehearsal minutes ago. Including his target. QTE's aside, this is exactly the same premise and no more absurd.

And I'd rather have a few QTE's instead of Blood Money's laughable melee system.

Right, except for the fact that 47 was acting appropriately in the situation, just like in the play. He was in a fight, so he fought. And you want to talk about revealing himself? Throughout the play rehearsal, anyone could see 47's face through the disguise and see the fact that he is not the man who was there in the last rehearsal minutes ago. Including his target. QTE's aside, this is exactly the same premise and no more absurd.

And I'd rather have a few QTE's instead of Blood Money's laughable melee system.

47 wasn't wanted as he is now in BM.
I'd rather have an actual melee system, instead. QTEs are just cheap and pace-breaking.

Zeliard

Edge review directly mirrors the criticisms from that RPS hands-on.

This thread begs the question: Will the dilution/dumbing down of gameplay systems ever reverse course? Or will things just continue to get worse for those of us who have been gaming most of our lives?

It will only get worse as budgets climb and even fewer risks are taken. You largely have to look at the indie scene and by extension Kickstarter to see anything truly interesting done. Big-budget gaming continues to stagnate by the day.

justjim89

47 wasn't wanted as he is now in BM.
I'd rather have an actual melee system, instead. QTEs are just cheap and pace-breaking.

But surely you can agree that it's more risky for your target and other people standing much closer to see your real face and would surely notice you're not the same guy as opposed to a crowd of people relatively further away to see your face when you've assumed the identity of a man who is typically masked. Few would be the wiser.

But Blood Money gets a pass because it does no wrong, in spite of it's absurdities.

okay, so I played three chapters so far and I don't know what to think really.

it's not dumbed down compared to past games, it's more streamlined and simplified if that makes sense. even the chinatown level wasn't as good as the missions in blood money for example. it had the freedom from the game, but they way it pulled it off wasn't as well or as varied.

the ai isn't very good either, the new blend in mechanic is good as is the cover system, but there's definitely something missing. maybe it's because I'm still very early in the game, but it doesn't feel like I'm playing a hitman game. it sounds crazy, but that's how I feel.

the visuals and presentation are fantastic, music is good but not as good as blood money, but still good. the visuals especially deserve some praise, I don't know how developers have managed it, but the visuals in this along with a few others are incredible.

overall, I'm enjoying it but it doesn't feel like hitman. sorry if that doesn't make sense.

But surely you can agree that it's more risky for your target and other people standing much closer to see your real face and would surely notice you're not the same guy as opposed to a crowd of people relatively further away to see your face when you've assumed the identity of a man who is typically masked. Few would be the wiser.

But Blood Monet gets a pass because it does no wrong, in spite of it's absurdities.

The point of BM's method it's that it looks like an accident, a mistake by whoever prepared the gun.
If you want to take that way, we could say Hitman is unrealistic in any case. Even in Absolution the new disguise system makes little to no sense. That's not the point of the game. In this case, however, 47 is no longer an urban legend but a wanted man. Disguises work, sure, but if you reveal your identity (in a cutscene too!) you're asking to be shot. Sure they should've recognized he wasn't the actor in BM, but that's gameplay logic. In here it's story logic - what he does is beyond your control. It's not the fight itself the problem - I mean, it's a sucky sequence of QTEs, but whatever -, it's the fact that the most wanted man in town just revealed himself in front of a full crowd. Someone might've recognized him, don't you think?

Odrion

Banned
Even still, if everything surrounding that QTE-ladened moment was a typical Hitman game it'd be okay. But apparently it's not.

edit: Actually you're right Dyni. It's a stupid idea.

the ai isn't very good either, the new blend in mechanic is good as is the cover system, but there's definitely something missing. maybe it's because I'm still very early in the game, but it doesn't feel like I'm playing a hitman game. it sounds crazy, but that's how I feel.

What difficulty level are you playing on?

Even in Absolution the new disguise system makes little to no sense.

How so? The disguise system makes the most sense out of all the games in the franchise.

it's not dumbed down compared to past games, it's more streamlined and simplified if that makes sense. even the chinatown level wasn't as good as the missions in blood money for example. it had the freedom from the game, but they way it pulled it off wasn't as well or as varied.

the visuals and presentation are fantastic, music is good but not as good as blood money, but still good. the visuals especially deserve some praise, I don't know how developers have managed it, but the visuals in this along with a few others are incredible.

overall, I'm enjoying it but it doesn't feel like hitman. sorry if that doesn't make sense.

Nah, it makes sense. Problem is - from what you're describing, you're confirming my fears: I wouldn't be able to enjoy it in any case. Oh well.

justjim89

The point of BM's method it's that it looks like an accident, a mistake by whoever prepared the gun.
If you want to take that way, we could say Hitman is unrealistic in any case. Even in Absolution the new disguise system makes little to no sense. That's not the point of the game. In this case, however, 47 is no longer an urban legend but a wanted man. Disguises work, sure, but if you reveal your identity (in a cutscene too!) you're asking to be shot. Sure they should've recognized he wasn't the actor in BM, but that's gameplay logic. In here it's story logic - what he does is beyond your control. It's not the fight itself the problem - I mean, it's a sucky sequence of QTEs, but whatever -, it's the fact that the most wanted man in town just revealed himself in front of a full crowd. Someone might've recognized him, don't you think?

I was under the impression 47 being wanted wasn't known by everybody, and he was still something of an urban legend. But I've tried to keep myself away from story spoilers, so perhaps I can't make an accurate argument for this without context. If he is as wanted and as well known as you say by everyone in attendance of the fight, then yeah that's a bit foolish. But I'll find out for myself when I play the game.

By the way, was anyone else distracted by the fact that the guy 47 fights is some sort of hybrid between The Great Khali and Danny Trejo?

AHA-Lambda

Actually this quite similar to how I am feeling. I am playing on normal (and before anyone moans at me I played all the others on normal too) and I am currently half way through the run for your life mission and I am mixed on it.

The initial impression I have so far shows to me this could be the conviction of the Hitman series, BUT its not as far removed from Hitman as conviction was from splinter cell. This is till a stealth game but unfortunately a seemingly different kind of stealth game. The only classic Hitman level I have seen so far has been the king of Chinatown level, the rest have been focusing on getting to a location as undetected as possible. I feel like I am playing the older splinter cell games more than Hitman at the moment as I am trying to hide from enemies rather than blend in with them.

I think this can be a good stealth action game but as a Hitman game, that I don't know yet.

DISCLAIMER: 360 version, not played contracts yet, playing on normal mode and I have played all prior Hitman games and I LOVED BM.

I was under the impression 47 being wanted wasn't known by everybody, and he was still something of an urban legend. But I've tried to keep myself away from story spoilers, so perhaps I can't make an accurate argument for this without context. If he is as wanted and as well known as you say by everyone in attendance of the fight, then yeah that's a bit foolish. But I'll find out for myself when I play the game.

Oh, really? No, believe me, it's not like I spoiled the story myself, but I assumed that by now many knew about him. If it's as you say, then there's "only" the problem of the execution itself.

I was under the impression 47 being wanted wasn't known by everybody, and he was still something of an urban legend.

That is the case. Anyway, why would a random schmuck watching a wrestling fight know anything about a famous assassin? People's complaints are getting more and more ridiculous.

Oh, really? No, believe me, it's not like I spoiled the story myself, but I assumed that by now many knew about him. If it's as you say, then there's "only" the problem of the execution itself.

Did you know about that Russian gun runner who was arrested in Thailand a few years ago? Because he was apparently very famous, yet it was the first time ever I heard about him.

That is the case. Anyway, why would a random schmuck watching a wrestling fight know anything about a famous assassin? People's complaints are getting more and more ridiculous.

If it was the case, the most wanted man in town would surely get recognized by someone. But it isn't, so I'll just go mea culpa.

justjim89

It could very well fall somewhere between the two. But something tells me he's not plastered all over the 8 o'clock news and as soon as he pops up somewhere everyone goes "Oh my God it's Agent 47!" Sure, the people after him know who he is certainly. And if there are people after him in that arena, which is likely, then it's a bit absurd. But as I said, it's a piece of the game entirely out of context. What would you have thought if the final level of Blood Money leaked early and you didn't know it was the epilogue? This isn't exactly the same scenario here, certainly, but I do think context is a crucial factor.

And yeah, one's mileage may vary when it comes to the execution of it.

It could very well fall somewhere between the two. But something tells me he's not plastered all over the 8 o'clock news and as soon as he pops up somewhere everyone goes "Oh my God it's Agent 47!" Sure, the people after him know where he is certainly. And if there are people after him in that arena, which is likely, then it's a bit absurd. But as I said, it's a piece of the game entirely out of context. What would you have thought if the final level of Blood Money leaked early and you didn't know it was the epilogue? This isn't exactly the same scenario here, certainly, but I do think context is a crucial factor.

And yeah, one's mileage may vary when it comes to the execution of it.

Yes, of course it's a deal of context. I'm just left thinking that, if there's a whole scene like that which requires fighting, you might as well go through the pain of developing an actual brawl system since it's not the only scene.

Can someone explain the "this game is QTE-filled" thing for me? I did not watch any lengthy videos btw.

There are many situations that could (depending on your approach) require QTEs, from disarming to story sequences.

justjim89

Can someone explain the "this game is QTE-filled" thing for me? I did not watch any lengthy videos btw.

Some are painting rather broadly with the QTE brush, but basically you hold down a button to take guards out, and press another to kill or simply subdue them. Hand to hand combat is also a QTE, and there have been some moments of it in the story.

For me, the line between QTE and simply a context sensitive action is rather fuzzy.

justjim89

To put it simply, they break the pace. Sure, I like the idea of making melee harder, but not if the pace has to be sacrified.

That's a fair argument. I'm not going to stand on some big pro-QTE soapbox. I'm not a big fan either, and part of me hates RE4 for making them so prominent. But most of these don't seem like a big deal. The fight scene reminded me of the bar fights in The Witcher 2.

justjim89

The way I see it, the best parts of the game will be a Hitman game for the year 2012. The worst parts will be a serviceable stealth game. I can gladly deal with that, though I can understand why others can't.

Hell, I played Manhunt 2. So I'm apparently willing to put up with a lot in my stealth games.

jimi_dini

Right, except for the fact that 47 was acting appropriately in the situation, just like in the play. He was in a fight, so he fought. And you want to talk about revealing himself?

You see if he didn't take the mask off in Absolution, it would have been fine logic-wise. Gameplay-wise it would have still sucked. Some people in here seem to love QTEs+cutscenes. I personally would watch a movie instead.

Think about the mask for a moment:
The opponent is killed. 47 took the mask off for story exposition. There were maybe 1000 people around him in close proximity. They could see him without problems. They could hear what he was saying. At least a few of them would at least notice that it's not the face of the actual wrester. Now let's pretend the wrester's face was previously completely unknown. Let's assume that the actual wrestler would still get framed. But then the police got so many witnesses and they would all say, that the faces don't match. They should be able to describe the face without any issues. Which would then result in notoriety going up and we would get a newspaper article, which features 47s face. Oh wait, this game doesn't have notoriety nor the newspaper feature, so who cares.

In comparison curtains down - when
pretending to be the actor
, 47s back is turned to the audience. Additionally the audience are just a few people and are really far away. So it's not comparable at all. Granted, the target himself could have noticed something - that's why I personally never did it this way - I never thought I would get away with it - but then looking at videos on youtube, it seems the target is not looking straight at the other actor. The targets hands are even tied behind his back. He also seems to be bored, which would make sense, because if I recall correctly the rehearsal will go on and on and on.

Hell, I played Manhunt 2. So I'm apparently willing to put up with a lot in my stealth games.

My condolences.

Top Bottom