• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Giant Bomb's QL is up. 1:15:39 with Brad and Vinny. Sounds like a good'n. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si_9JR0f-kk&feature=g-u-u

And yeah, Run for Your Life is tough. I got almost through the library with a cop disguise, but that staircase is a hell of a bottleneck. Instinct disguises are manageable once you realize you can regain it by pacifying one guard and hiding his body.

I personally think it wasnt that hard. I was able to get through the entire level still wearing 47s suit.

rvy

Banned
Game suffers a lot from being divided into "missions". Biggest criticism until now. I'm on the 4th (?) mission, I think. They should have found a better way, cutting things off amidst something and then throwing a rating scoreboard around until you can see the rest of the cutscene is awkward.
I am enjoying it though.

MormaPope

Banned
Starting to get pumped for my delivery today.

I'm getting pumped about buying it later today.

The fact the the game is difficult actually pleases me quite a bit. I guess my Hitman opinions are very different than others, "The Murder of Crows"mission in Blood Money was my least favorite in that game yet it gets praise by multiple people on Gaf. Hitman Contracts is probably my favorite Hitman overall.

Also Hitman 2 has some of the most terminator-esque AI I've ever encountered in a game, it would take a lot for me to get frustrated with Absolution's AI. I haven't played Absolution yet, but anyone that says it's worse than Hitman 2's heat seeking headshot AI hasn't played Hitman 2 recently.

R1CHO

I just finished the first level, this is bullshit.

Why did he fucking kill her? I don't get it, doesn't make sense...

Sanjuro

I'm getting pumped about buying it later today.

The fact the the game is difficult actually pleases me quite a bit. I guess my Hitman opinions are very different than others, "The Murder of Crows"mission in Blood Money was my least favorite in that game yet it gets praise by multiple people on Gaf. Hitman Contracts is probably my favorite Hitman overall.

Also Hitman 2 has some of the most terminator-esque AI I've ever encountered in a game, it would take a lot for me to get frustrated with Absolution's AI. I haven't played Absolution yet, but anyone that says it's worse than Hitman 2's heat seeking headshot AI hasn't played Hitman 2 recently.

I probably disagree with most people here about the franchise. Hitman 2, is the only complete game in the entire series for me. Blood Money feels like it's lesser sequel, while C:47 and Contracts feel more like beta versions of Hitman 2.

MormaPope

Banned
I've played Hitman 2 yesterday on expert..and yes absolutions ai is worse.

Which missions did you play? Also the AI in Hitman 2 can be exploited very easily, you can basically commit genocide when at the top of a staircase. But if you get spotted out in the open be prepared to be come AK47 made swiss cheese.

The Hunter/Hunted sandbox mission was also very bad. There is only one way to kill the target lol.

what way can I ask? I found there to be at least two, but I need to replay that mission.

and don't worry, there's a really good sandbox level coming up very soon and then the game takes a big steaming dump with the smell lingering long after it's been flushed.

RevDM

Banned
It's here. I could swear I saw a video saying it required almost 3gb of HDD. The box says only 6mb? Also, it only outputs 720p? The fuck bro.

MMaRsu

Which missions did you play? Also the AI in Hitman 2 can be exploited very easily, you can basically commit genocide when at the top of a staircase. But if you get spotted out in the open be prepared to be come AK47 made swiss cheese.

The first two.. the hit on the mob boss and on the russian colonel. I've already played Hitman 2 a shitload so yeah I know when not to be spotted etc. But if you walk slowly they wont just spot you at least not in the russian lvl.

Either way the AI in absolution makes no sense.

Don't wanna damper your hype or anything but the disguise system is really annoying in Absolution. It's not all that far off from Hidden Valley in Silent Assassin, though you do have a bit more leeway than that. Kind of puts a damper on exploration.

Still enjoying the game FWIW.

It's neither here nor there but I'm of the opinion that Kyd was mailing it in with Blood Money. Contracts had a much better soundtrack.

Contracts's soundtrack was fantastic, but BM's wasn't exactly bad. It was great, just maybe not quite as good as Contracts.

Also, the ending
obviously hints that Diana isn't dead, and that the next game will have 47 working for the Agency again.

george_us

Just finished the first mission. The presentation in this game is excellent. I'm having a blast with the game as well.

This is my first Hitman game though so I wouldn't put too much stock in my opinion.

And sweet lord does this game look good.

MormaPope

Banned
Those were the days.

The last Japanese mission in the castle I triggered an alarm manually but on accident, I went into the room the target was in and unloaded a SMG magazine that killed him and 5 other guards. The onslaught of soldiers and ninjas with swords was easily vanquished when they would slowly walk up the stairs. It felt so good to murder that many people and get away with it on Expert difficulty.

The ninjas with katanas is always hilarious, they can side step and flip all they want, doesn't change the fact that I have a gun and they have a sword. Sometimes they would glitch and just sidestep repeatedly nonstop.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
advise me Gaf, about to start the game, no idea what difficulty to go on, tell me which is for people who like a challenge but nothing impossible, doesnt mind restarting but gets very frustrated when the enemies cheat, likes stealth over combat.

MormaPope

Banned
The first two.. the hit on the mob boss and on the russian colonel. I've already played Hitman 2 a shitload so yeah I know when not to be spotted etc. But if you walk slowly they wont just spot you at least not in the russian lvl.

Either way the AI in absolution makes no sense.

Walking slowly next to guards while disguised will always build up the suspicion meter in Hitman 2. You basically have to either pass them without showing your face or walk the fastest path so they don't see you for long. On the PC version of Hitman 2, playing on Expert difficulty will entail super AI. The console version of Hitman 2 might actually be less difficult than the PC version.

advise me Gaf, about to start the game, no idea what difficulty to go on, tell me which is for people who like a challenge but nothing impossible, doesnt mind restarting but gets very frustrated when the enemies cheat, likes stealth over combat.

Normal

Guards see through your disguises crazy fast on Hard

luffeN

I usually do games on normal, i was a bit afraid normal would remove all the challenge from this one.

I just finished the first mission on Hard and it was not that hard. Using instinct to sneak past enemies with the same disguise helps a lot. It could be more difficult later on but I think I will stick to Hard for now.

The game is by the way awesome, I really like it so far (playing on PC.)

R1CHO

But he did? Just because he didn't shoot again doesn't mean that the target didn't die.

I know, i mean the rest of the mission.

Dosnt make sense to me... you kill the most important person on your life, because you are a pro... then you stop being a pro... he should do the full mission, or just save both targets.

Raptomex

I did the first 2 missions and I think the game is really cool. It definitely feels different than previous games in the series but a great game nonetheless. Is there a real reason they decided to
to get rid of Diana
. I completed Blood Money and don't see the connection here if any. She seems to be an iconic character to the series. That's why I ask.

MMaRsu

Walking slowly next to guards while disguised will always build up the suspicion meter in Hitman 2. You basically have to either pass them without showing your face or walk the fastest path so they don't see you for long. On the PC version of Hitman 2, playing on Expert difficulty will entail super AI. The console version of Hitman 2 might actually be less difficult than the PC version.

Yup I know, but at least you can be slightly in their field of view without them going bananas in 2 seconds. Sure don't walk up to a guard, but pass him without the guard going bananas works.

Ofcourse the PC version :). I've played all previous Hitman games on PC, but I've had to play it on a console this time.

I did the first 2 missions and I think the game is really cool. It definitely feels different than previous games in the series but a great game nonetheless. Is there a real reason they decided to
to get rid of Diana
. I completed Blood Money and don't see the connection here if any. She seems to be an iconic character to the series. That's why I ask.

Probably to set up the dumb story.

I want to know from people who think it's awesome how far they are so far..

Just finished the first mission. The presentation in this game is excellent. I'm having a blast with the game as well.

This is my first Hitman game though so I wouldn't put too much stock in my opinion.

And sweet lord does this game look good.

No, I think your opinion is just as valid. New players to the franchise is what the IP needs to survive. The 'no new players allowed' mentality to a lot of the Hitman audience is insular. Hitman's player base, while passionate, are not the only audience that the game needs to satisfy.

to get rid of Diana

there isn't beyond trying to give the mediocre story some weight. it's a stupid decision really, but keep playing to see just how awful the story goes on to become.

vidcons

Banned
Contracts down for anyone else?

Biggest flaw of the game is turning the guy. Everything seems really fluid until you need to turn around, then it's like their is input delay for just that movement. Very odd to experience.

So far, the rest has been really cool, although I don't particularly like that there was only one disguise that could get you to the elevator in the second mission.

SJRB

Gold Member
Doing a normal playthrough to get the hang of the game's controls and mechanics, for some reason the control scheme isn't really intuitive. I also don't like how 47 moves out of cover if you keep the stick pressed while he's at the end of cover, he should stick to it at all times unless I press down or something.

Still in the turorial area but I have already experienced ragdoll craziness and AI hickups. Game looks okay on medium settings, even though I can barely run it at 30 fps. I may have to tone certain things down, unfortunately.

No, I think your opinion is just as valid. New players to the franchise is what the IP needs to survive. The 'no new players allowed' mentality to a lot of the Hitman audience is insular. Hitman's player base, while passionate, are not the only audience that the game needs to satisfy.

who is to say that if the game has stuck to its blood money roots that it wouldn't be a success with new fans?

your viewpoint is valid but at the same time ignores the fact that developers don't have to dtreamline or simplify their games. a sequel to blood money would have been very successful in my opinion. bloody money was already very accessible on the lower difficulties.

MMaRsu

who is to say that if the game has stuck to its blood money roots that it wouldn't be a success with new fans?

your viewpoint is valid but at the same time ignores the fact that developers don't have to dtreamline or simplify their games. a sequel to blood money would have been very successful in my opinion. bloody money was already very accessible on the lower difficulties.
Yup add a cover system to that game it wouldnt hurt.

rvy

Banned
I know, i mean the rest of the mission.

Dosnt make sense to me... you kill the most important person on your life, because you are a pro... then you stop being a pro... he should do the full mission, or just save both targets.

See, but 47 shot the target before realizing the reasons for the kidnapping. There's no plot issue here.

justjim89

Maybe it's just me, but I dig the story so far. The opening with David Bateson was some good characterization of 47. Great voice acting by all, a bit of tongue-in-cheek sort of vibe. I love the scene where we meet Dexter, I have a feeling I'm going to love him. There's already no way it could be worse than Blood Money's story. Silent Assassin's was tremendous, though.

While I loooooved BM and have even fonder memories of Silent Assassin, those games were problematic in that its core systems never really gelled well together. I suppose people would call that jank, but it was a problem nonetheless. This is not to say that Absolution has washed all these issues away, far from it. In fact, they have traded some problems in mechanics for newer problems. But if we can refer to the Conan video, it could serve as a window as to how the nonHitman fan experiences the franchise. He was, for all intents and purposes, a 'new fan'. Yet even with Io's streamlined approach to Hitman's core mechanics, he was still able to identify the glaring problems in the game's mechanics, lore, and general conceit for the game.

Disguise system is glorious (spoilers to first mission):

Oh crap, so many gardeners in the greenhouse. Wait a moment, if I go to the right I won't be spotted. Crap! So many guards in the mansion. Now if I was only dressed as...a cook! Voila, able to go anywhere. No instinct spent.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
holy hell, what kind of magic is IO using? this game looks amazing, even on medium settings.

Nome

What's the chance of there being a mod that mimics BM's disguise system? Or is the game designed such that having the old disguise system would just completely break its difficulty?

Top Bottom