• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

There are so many small corridor sections with binary design, there's the main path and stealthy side path via a vent, ledge, window, etc. With the disguise and faction suspicion systems being the way they are, Absolution kind of devolves Hitman to a basic stealth game. You're no longer the unseen predator hiding in plain sight not doing anything out of the ordinary to avoid detection, now you're a sneak-thief darting from cover-to-cover.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
hma202012-11-202016-3dneoz.gif

There's a level where you can hide in a giant cake in lieu of a stripper, then burst out and take out everyone in the room in an instant. Glorious.

Ugh. Ughhhh!!

Another thing I hate is the intro.

Why SHOOT Diana in the chest, then say "I should kill you.". YOU JUST SHOT HER IN THE FUCKING CHEST. Then he holds her hand like he's feeling sorry for her, says "it's not too late (to get help)"? Wat.

I know people can survive a shot like that, but ffs, that scene makes little sense.

Double D

Just finished Run for your Life and I have to say I'm really enjoying the game. Sure, the way they structured all of those parts were just making you get from one point to another undetected, but I can already see awesome stuff that could happen once I play these in contracts mode.

Deadstar

I'm 2 missions in and this game is incredible. It feels like Hitman so far though the environments I've been in are so far smaller than what I remember in past Hitman games. This may change later on.

Interfectum

Beat the tutorial mission. So far, so good though the disguise system is way to fucking sensitive and doesn't make any sense. Three rooms away a guy can see I'm 'disguised' yet if I start shooting up the place he doesn't hear shit and just stands there.

Amazing AI. lol

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really enjoying this so far, but man I didn't realize how much I used the map. The first floor of Terminus Hotel has a lot to it...have to go to work so I can't mess around more until later.

AHA-Lambda

I'm getting pumped about buying it later today.

The fact the the game is difficult actually pleases me quite a bit. I guess my Hitman opinions are very different than others, "The Murder of Crows"mission in Blood Money was my least favorite in that game yet it gets praise by multiple people on Gaf. Hitman Contracts is probably my favorite Hitman overall.

Also Hitman 2 has some of the most terminator-esque AI I've ever encountered in a game, it would take a lot for me to get frustrated with Absolution's AI. I haven't played Absolution yet, but anyone that says it's worse than Hitman 2's heat seeking headshot AI hasn't played Hitman 2 recently.

Honestly, I do think it's worse especially come the later levels.

Contracts's soundtrack was fantastic, but BM's wasn't exactly bad. It was great, just maybe not quite as good as Contracts.

Also, the ending
obviously hints that Diana isn't dead, and that the next game will have 47 working for the Agency again.

Hell it doesn't hint it :p

advise me Gaf, about to start the game, no idea what difficulty to go on, tell me which is for people who like a challenge but nothing impossible, doesnt mind restarting but gets very frustrated when the enemies cheat, likes stealth over combat.

Don't touch hard then :lol

No, I think your opinion is just as valid. New players to the franchise is what the IP needs to survive. The 'no new players allowed' mentality to a lot of the Hitman audience is insular. Hitman's player base, while passionate, are not the only audience that the game needs to satisfy.

I've said it earlier but I seriously think that traditional hitman if marketed well can stand out and succeed in this AAA market.

This is the Chaos Theory sequel we've been waiting for.

Deal with that.

No, just no. It's a moderately better conviction, let's not get daft.

Hindle

Banned
what way can I ask? I found there to be at least two, but I need to replay that mission.

and don't worry, there's a really good sandbox level coming up very soon and then the game takes a big steaming dump with the smell lingering long after it's been flushed.

The disco ball is the only one I could find.

Hindle

Banned
It's possible with the next game being made over at Montreal that the Deus Ex team could have an input. I hope so anyway.

I tried the first mission on Hard but didn't finish it.

Seriously, mandatory instinct is fucking bullshit, especially to use disguises. Come the fuck on.

Purist mode is tacked on to appease hardcore players. Game is designed around instinct, so not being able to see how much you have is fucking stupid.

The disco ball is the only one I could find.

You can also strangle him while he's taking a piss. There's at least one more method indicated by the notebook, but I haven't figured it out yet.

DSmalls84

This game is a ton of fun but the writing...
Seriously who thought "Limp Dick" Lenny was a good idea? The name is bad enough but I'm pretty sure the character is mentally handicapped...

Zeliard

Purist Mode : yay or nay?
And is it an extra setting in addition to the difficulty setting?

It's its own difficulty.

I think I'm gonna go with Expert. Purist sounds like an annoyance in a game where it's probably expected that you'll use certain things.

This game is a ton of fun but the writing...
Seriously who thought "Limp Dick" Lenny was a good idea? The name is bad enough but I'm pretty sure the character is mentally handicapped...

Seems pretty obvious that he is. Just listen to the way he talks. I honestly kinda felt sorry for him.

Purist Mode : yay or nay?
And is it an extra setting in addition to the difficulty setting?

From what I can tell, Purist Mode is honestly just a gigantic, satirical slap in the face of Hitman fans. It's unreasonably stupidly difficult. It's basically the dev's way of saying "Oh, you think you're a 'true' Hitman fan? Well here's a difficulty JUST FOR YOU." and then stomping on your nuts for a few hours.

Normal looked fun from the 10 minutes I got to play this game before work, and I'm excited to dig into it tonight, ESPECIALLY in Contracts mode (since it really looks like that's where the meat of the game lies), but Purist Mode just looks completely stupid.

I don't mind it for the disguises honestly, makes me think before I move.

I mean, I knew it'd be in but I honestly didn't expect it to burn through as fast as hitting a candle with a flamethrower. I thought I could play it at least a bit like Blood Money but I guess not.

Zep

Banned
Fuck it, I'm not gonna wait till they patch. I'm gonna go through this game acting like the t1000, changing disguises and killing everything in my way.

dreamfall

As a huge fan of Blood Money, I'm enjoying this- but it feels completely different. The game has most certainly changed into a set of smaller scenarios that employ stealth, rather than the multiple-objective based sandbox missions. In some regards, this is a huge step backwards- that sense of accomplishment is slightly diminished when ghosting through a section, hitting a door and progressing into a "Part II" of the scenario. The detection meter feels a bit more difficult to read, and the idea of blending/instinct changes the pacing of the game.

But with the smaller area restrictions, the player is given several different challenges and ways to get the job done. Some of them are wickedly creative, and it's fun to experiment and approach these segments differently. I've definitely played through the first part of Terminus Hotel bit in different ways, and it feels nice to have choices regarding how to progress on a smaller scale. It doesn't get rid of some of the trial and error- when seen, I feel like I have to restart. I don't like resorting to violence, but if you want to blast away, you're more than capable of doing so.

The dialogue of the guards is both hilarious, slightly offensive and downright ridiculous. It's fun to "hide" in an area, just to listen in on some of the guards' musings. It's also a really pretty game- the attention to detail provides great immersion in each scene, and the disguises are fun to adopt in the wrong situations. Sometimes when getting caught, I'd attempt to use objects to kill just to try them out. There are some really brutal killing animations- hammers, bricks, statue busts, you name it.

Why any Hitman game needs a story is beyond me, but it's been an uneven tale thus far. Some really nice cutscenes, but it's the environmental details that provide a better sense of atmosphere/story for me. These levels are beautiful- it would be nicer if they weren't structured in such small segments, but the art design is awesome.

I'm liking it. I'm also excited to attempt some of those inane challenges, just to play things differently. I haven't even touched Contracts yet, but I'm assuming that'll add even more replayability. Not in it for the story- but the scenarios the developers crafted. It's not touching Blood Money, but it's still fun.

From what I can tell, Purist Mode is honestly just a gigantic, satirical slap in the face of Hitman fans. It's unreasonably stupidly difficult. It's basically the dev's way of saying "Oh, you think you're a 'true' Hitman fan? Well here's a difficulty JUST FOR YOU." and then stomping on your nuts for a few hours.

Normal looked fun from the 10 minutes I got to play this game before work, and I'm excited to dig into it tonight, ESPECIALLY in Contracts mode (since it really looks like that's where the meat of the game lies), but Purist Mode just looks completely stupid.

I tried KoCt on purist last night; I wasn't sure if the AI and such is increased beyond expert level. I thought it was basically expert without any help or AI? Either way, the disguise complaints are valid, as it's incredibly onerous sometimes to maneuver when in costume. Purist does seem artificially difficult. I'm torn on the matter myself right now. I would love for them to reevaluate and patch the difficulties, disguise and rating system. But that may be asking too much.

Purist mode is tacked on to appease hardcore players. Game is designed around instinct, so not being able to see how much you have is fucking stupid.

You can also strangle him while he's taking a piss. There's at least one more method indicated by the notebook, but I haven't figured it out yet.

When he goes to the backroom with the stripper you can use a keycard and go to the one-way mirror room and take him out there.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Does anyone know if the soundtrack for the game has been released? I want to do some music videos but can't find the OST anywhere. :(

When he goes to the backroom with the stripper you can use a keycard and go to the one-way mirror room and take him out there.

You can also try this one -
Faulty disco ball

MMaRsu

I just killed him and her while I was waiting in the booth itself, thankfully the guard outside didn't notice anything. LOL

ekim

I tried KoCt on purist last night; I wasn't sure if the AI and such is increased beyond expert level. I thought it was basically expert without any help or AI? Either way, the disguise complaints are valid, as it's incredibly onerous sometimes to maneuver when in costume. Purist does seem artificially difficult. I'm torn on the matter myself right now. I would love for them to reevaluate and patch the difficulties, disguise and rating system. But that may be asking too much.

What a bummer. I was going to grab a copy tomorrow for either ps3 or 360. I hope the contracts mode delivers some sandbox stealth after all.

What's the exact problem with disguises? People will notice that you're not the supposed person? If so, that was my main complaint in all former hitman games. "Hey, there is a bald guy with a barcode on his neck that I have never seen around, but he wears the same clothes like me. Everything is safe"

derFeef

The disguise system reeeally is touchy. I am not sure I use instinct right when I get noticed. Press the button and move away?

RevDM

Banned
RevDM pls.

Let me know what you think of the game. I'm on the fence about it, leaning away actually.

I'm going to play this game through at least twice before I give my impression. The first time because I'm an impatient person that can't enjoy things for what it is, the second so I can try to really do things as creative as possible. I just got to the abandoned library, and it's pretty obvious IO is trying to give you that heart pounding "I almost got caught" feeling when you do something right
towards end of library under staricase exit, cover at the small shelf, a cop will lean right on it inches away from you
. The detection system is an absolute joke. The AI is not as dynamic as they want you to believe, however there was some fun close call sneaking done right behind a cops back. But as others' mentioned, this is more of a hide in the dark than hide in plain sight game.

Also, I hate the new disguise system. I've been going suit only ever since prologue.

Top Bottom