• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

vidcons

Banned
No, just no. It's a moderately better conviction, let's not get daft.

Slightly linear stealth paths through levels with wonk-AI and lots of things to throw to distract guards. Perfectly placed areas to stash bodies, almost always too convenient, and enemies placed 'novelty' spots far too often. A conceptually great multiplayer type mode. Graphics that just don't stop.

Nah man, this is literally Chaos Theory and anyone who says other wise is immensely blinded by nostalgia or CRITICAL PRAISE "9.9 out of 10 - OXM'S HIGHEST RATING EVER"

e; Best thing about this game is that you can't put save points after every little thing you do in the higher difficulties. Instead of trying to do the same thing over and over again in the correct way, I'll look for an alternate solution to the puzzle since the one I failed at doesn't line up with my playstyle. Some good design decisions, hope some DLC comes out from the original team.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Game just hardlocked during loading Hunter/Hunted twice. GG. What a piece of shit. It's a shit mission to boot, having to constantly reload is one thing, having it hang on loading twice? Fuck this game. Never been so disappointed, and it's not like I was expecting Blood Money 2.0.

Terra_Ex

It does not make any difference really, walk away with or without instinct. At least it looks like it.

If someone is already suspicious of you and walking towards you (the second the arrow turns red) instinct will not save you (at least not on expert.) You need to activate it before enemies start getting upset.

justjim89

Man, the melee fighting system was not made with keyboards in mind. Q,W,E, Space? But everything else feels so much better with KB+M. I'm still adjusting to the 360 controller, I guess. Never used one until a week ago. Fucking dual analogue nonsense.

justjim89

Slightly linear stealth paths through levels with wonk-AI and lots of things to throw to distract guards. Perfectly placed areas to stash bodies, almost always too convenient, and enemies placed 'novelty' spots far too often. A conceptually great multiplayer type mode. Graphics that just don't stop.

Nah man, this is literally Chaos Theory and anyone who says other wise is immensely blinded by nostalgia or CRITICAL PRAISE "9.9 out of 10 - OXM'S HIGHEST RATING EVER"

Quoted for truth. I was never that crazy about Chaos Theory, to be honest. I honestly enjoyed Conviction a hell of a lot more.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Not sure how to delete them.

MMaRsu

Man, the melee fighting system was not made with keyboards in mind. Q,W,E, Space? But everything else feels so much better with KB+M. I'm still adjusting to the 360 controller, I guess. Never used one until a week ago. Fucking dual analogue nonsense.

What? You can't rebind keys? Lol.. Even Hitman 2 had that feature.

justjim89

Did you also like Invisible War more than Deus Ex? ;)

No. I haven't played either. I beat DE:HR and loved it, though. Conviction gets a lot of shit for being action-y, but I had a lot of fun with it. I felt more like Fischer was a hunter, which fit the narrative. The Auzzie Gamer has a great playthrough of it that really motivated me to buy it.

What? You can't rebind keys? Lol.. Even Hitman 2 had that feature.

Yeah, you can rebind the keys, but it rebinds them for everything, not just combat. And aside from fistfights, the keyboard controls are well mapped.

Hooked up the 360 controller and finished the first mission.

Agent 47 is rather dumb. He shoots Diana and in the next moment he is all "I should kill you". You just fucking did, you moron. Also didn't like the forced shooting sequence. Gave me bad Conviction vibes.
Best thing? I was patient and had to use Instinct exactly once, to get into the greenhouse.

Then I checked out the second mission, didn't really go at it in a serious way but rather trial error a few times just to check out what I am allowed to do and this felt more like what I want from Hitman. Sadly I've heard that this seems to be the exception but I'll have to see for myself.

Biff

Hey guys,

For someone who hasn't played a single Hitman, which is the best game for me to start with? I want to jump in on the cheap before deciding to buy Absolution.

Seems like Blood Money at $10 is my best bet as graphics will be tolerable and reviews sound good.

But if Silent Assassin is much better, I can live with 2002 graphics for the better experience.

Thanks!

justjim89

Hey guys,

For someone who hasn't played a single Hitman, which is the best game for me to start with? I want to jump in on the cheap before deciding to buy Absolution.

Seems like Blood Money at $10 is my best bet as graphics will be tolerable and reviews sound good.

But if Silent Assassin is much better, I can live with 2002 graphics for the better experience.

Thanks!

Silent Assassin is a much better game. By far. But Blood Money is very forgiving for a new person.

MMaRsu

Hey guys,

Thanks!

SA and BM are both great but I would start with Bm and if you love it play Sa and contracts too:)

RevDM

Banned
Hey guys,

Thanks!

TBH I would wait for the HD collection to come out next month.

Raptomex

Hey guys,

Thanks!
I would start with BM. The other games can be really unforgiving and may leave a bad taste. Start with BM then move on the other ones.

bhlaab

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Blood Money and then don't play the other ones at all. They are fucking broken.

The first game is just garbage.
Hitman 2 you could see where they were going but it's still busted. Guards become alert for no reason, the rules are not particularly defined, and the missions go out of their way to try and screw you over.
Contracts is less busted than Silent Assassin, but not by much.

Blood Money was the first to get the formula to work correctly and it seems like it might have been the last. It is an AMAZING game and justifies the rest of the series.

DukeBobby

Hitman 2 you could see where they were going but it's still busted. Guards become alert for no reason, the rules are not particularly defined, and the missions go out of their way to try and screw you over.

Blood Money was the first to get the formula to work correctly and it seems like it might have been the last. It is an AMAZING game and justifies the rest of the series.

They are far more unforgiving than Blood Money, but they are definitely not broken.

In fact, I played Silent Assassin a few days ago and I didn't have any problems with it.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
DirectX errors and crashing are starting to get on my nerves
Tell me about it, i can't play Black Ops 2. It crashes/freeze every 10 minutes. It's a fucking joke.

No problems in Hitman so far.

Raptomex

How do I register the Steam version of the game on the Hitman website and does the ICA link work for anybody? I had issues connecting last night.

Jintor

Well, at least I figured out you can reduce suspicion by turning your back on dudes. You'd think that'd actually be more suspicious, but whatever.

What's the deal with the HD collection? a release of all the old Hitman games? Are they adding in controller support for the PC version?

I don't think Contracts is in the collection, or is it? There's some issue with licensing which has halted it from popping up on DD sites. I just grabbed a copy on Amazon in pristine quality for 1 cent (plus 5 dollar shipping hehe).

This post null and void if it is being released in the collection. I hope so.

alife

Started the game and played for a few hours last night. First mission was really impressionable and digging the soundtrack, like it knows I'm being sneaky and malicious. Began on Hard mode and am now on the 4th mission but I feel like I need to unlock more Chameleon bonuses before I can actually breeze through on Hard mode cus like the other guy posted, cops see through your disguise too fucking fast on Hard, and I gotta find a disguise that doesn't match any of the enemies that I needa sneak past by. Restarted on Normal and game is much more enjoyable.

Man, fuck
Terminus Hotel
and when
you gotta escape the cops in the Chicago train station
lol

What's the deal with the HD collection? a release of all the old Hitman games? Are they adding in controller support for the PC version?

What makes you think that the HD collection is coming for PC?

I don't think Contracts is in the collection, or is it? There's some issue with licensing which has halted it from popping up on DD sites. I just grabbed a copy on Amazon in pristine quality for 1 cent (plus 5 dollar shipping hehe).

This post null and void if it is being released in the collection. I hope so.

Contracts is in, so they must have gotten around it somehow (read: replaced the song). Might show up on Steam eventually? *fingers crossed*

Jintor

Probably the most amusing thing so far was getting spotted on a train platform, and all the cops flipping the fuck out and firing their machine guns into the crowd to take me out, mowing down civilians and other cops in an instant. I hid behind a ticket machine.

alife

Probably the most amusing thing so far was getting spotted on a train platform, and all the cops flipping the fuck out and firing their machine guns into the crowd to take me out, mowing down civilians and other cops in an instant. I hid behind a ticket machine.

I just kept track of the directions those pigs were facing and used the crowd to blend in by standing still here and there. Kinda annoying on Hard when you have no Instinct left and cops see through your disguise in a second and if you try to rush through the area , all you fucking see is a buncha yellow arrows raping your screen and hear, "Hey sir, I'm a police officer," then fool just starts spraying at the crowd. Dafuq.

Eideka

Banned
My thoughts so far :

Hitman Absolution is a very good game, but not a very convincing follow up to Blood Money. In many respects Absolution is more "interventionist" and does not leave the player with a wide range of choice most of the time.
The "sandboxy" philosophy of the old formula is not completely gone but let's say severely altered and blended with the typical codes of the modern action game. This is what the gaming polulation at large asks for I guess.

The result is rather efficient, as I've said I don't mind a more streamlined and story-driven action game. The level design is still able to offer a non neglectable range of possibilities but I can't help to think this is a step down compared to the greatness of Silent Assassin or Blood Money. On the goodside the game is clearly challenging, on normal settings I appear to have been detected quite a few times. The difficulty is well balanced : you will receive penalty each time you kill somebody but you can even the odds by hiding bodies and remaining as stealthy as possible.
No, Hitman has not buried its legacy but this is clearly a different franchise now, stealth is still there, I don't think the game has been "dumbed down" but certainly streamlined to an extent. I don't feel compelled to draw comparison with SC Conviction, the latter has nothing outstanding to offer in terms of level design or story-telling while Absolution manages to salvage something from the old games.

Of course I have yet to finish the campaign so my opinion could very well change, I certainly don't regret having spent 32 euros.

DocSeuss

e; Best thing about this game is that you can't put save points after every little thing you do in the higher difficulties. Instead of trying to do the same thing over and over again in the correct way, I'll look for an alternate solution to the puzzle since the one I failed at doesn't line up with my playstyle. Some good design decisions, hope some DLC comes out from the original team.

Wait, if it's literally Chaos Theory, wouldn't that make it one of the best games ever? ._.

Not Hitman, but, hey, if it's Chaos Theory, does it really matter all that much?

mxgt

Banned
I've enjoyed the sandbox type stuff I've come across so far, but it's been few and far between. I just got to
Rosewood

Game isn't bad, but it's not even close to Blood Money. Looks nice atleast!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
After having started attempting
The Library
, I have to say I really am disliking the point system for this game. I feel like it's too strict on even knocking out a guard, and trying to play the game with zero fatalities/knock outs when the guards can see you with their fucking backs turned is way too much to ask for any sane human being. Needs some serious reworking.

Biff

Silent Assassin is a much better game. By far. But Blood Money is very forgiving for a new person.

SA and BM are both great but I would start with Bm and if you love it play Sa and contracts too:)

TBH I would wait for the HD collection to come out next month.

I would start with BM. The other games can be really unforgiving and may leave a bad taste. Start with BM then move on the other ones.

Blood Money it is - thanks dudes.

I've only done up to the mission after the King of Chinatown so no endgame spoilers please, but in the tutorial level
why did he shoot Diana first and then start questioning her? Would it not have made more sense to find out what she was doing before deciding whether to kill her, because by taking the girl isn't he now just doing what she was doing anyway? And was there actually a point in killing her seeing as he didn't complete the contract?

Also, the game is not that great so far. The mission structure is pretty awful and I hate how they consolified the control scheme. And from what I posted above the story seem pretty stupid as well.

justjim89

"I'm bad at a game, so it's broken. "

After having started attempting
The Library
, I have to say I really am disliking the point system for this game. I feel like it's too strict on even knocking out a guard, and trying to play the game with zero fatalities/knock outs when the guards can see you with their fucking backs turned is way too much to ask for any sane human being. Needs some serious reworking.

If you hide a knocked out guard it'll restore the points you lost

After playing for several hours, I really dig Absolution. I understand all the complaints, but I'm having a great time and appreciating it for what it is. I'm already excited to replay levels, and can't wait to jump into the Contracts mode.

Just started playing this, on the 3rd mission now.

I'm not liking how they've made 47 emotionally involved in everything. He comes across as just a generic killer now.
I much preferred his distant/robotic behaviour from the previous games.

Also, have they removed the little animation from BM where 47 hides his weapon behind his back when you approach someone from behind? I forget to check.
It's a small thing but it was an awesome touch and gave 47 that extra bit of style.

"I'm bad at a game, so it's broken. "

Tell me the Japan missions in SA are not broken. Or when a guard randomly hones in on you from half-way across the map without having seen you, that it's because you're not skilful.

The first two Hitman games in particular where flawed executions of good ideas. It really took Blood Money, and Contracts to a lesser extent, to get the original idea behind Hitman correct.

MMaRsu

Just started playing this, on the 3rd mission now.

I'm not liking how they've made 47 emotionally involved in everything. He comes across as just a generic killer now.
I much preferred his distant/robotic behaviour from the previous games.

Also, have they removed the little animation from BM where 47 hides his weapon behind his back when you approach someone from behind? I forget to check.
It's a small thing but it was an awesome touch and gave 47 that extra bit of style.

Probably because hes not really on the job.

Raptomex

I like the upgrade system and collectibles. Increases replay value. I wish this and previous games had mroe randomization thought to truly make every experience different. Randomized NPC placement and stuff.

Top Bottom