• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Tell me the Japan missions in SA are not broken. Or when a guard randomly hones in on you from half-way across the map without having seen you, that it's because you're not skilful.

The first two Hitman games in particular where flawed executions of good ideas. It really took Blood Money, and Contracts to a lesser extent, to get the original idea behind Hitman correct.

Blood Money is the most exploitable and challenge deprived game of the series, I go back to it the least out of all the games.

Just started playing this, on the 3rd mission now.

I'm not liking how they've made 47 emotionally involved in everything. He comes across as just a generic killer now.
I much preferred his distant/robotic behaviour from the previous games.

Also, have they removed the little animation from BM where 47 hides his weapon behind his back when you approach someone from behind? I forget to check.
It's a small thing but it was an awesome touch and gave 47 that extra bit of style.
I liked how morally dubious he was in BM. Stuff like killing the postman, clearly not giving a shit when Diana tells him the agency is closing down and instead asking about his fee, etc. It made him more interesting than some generic killer with a heart.

Just started playing this, on the 3rd mission now.

I'm not liking how they've made 47 emotionally involved in everything. He comes across as just a generic killer now.
I much preferred his distant/robotic behaviour from the previous games.

Also, have they removed the little animation from BM where 47 hides his weapon behind his back when you approach someone from behind? I forget to check.
It's a small thing but it was an awesome touch and gave 47 that extra bit of style.

To be fair, the series hasn't really done any character development since SA, which ends with 47 going "Sorry padre, I was born to kill people." and leaving the Church after questioning his profession and clone-ness earlier on in the game.

It's especially strange considering his attitude in BM, where he doesn't seem too concerned about the Agency almost getting wiped out, as long as he keeps receiving gigs and paychecks, to suddenly start doing personal jobs for the Agency. I guess the end of BM sort of establishes a closer relationship between 47 and Diana, as she "kills" and resurrects him.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I've only done up to the mission after the King of Chinatown so no endgame spoilers please, but in the tutorial level
why did he shoot Diana first and then start questioning her? Would it not have made more sense to find out what she was doing before deciding whether to kill her, because by taking the girl isn't he now just doing what she was doing anyway? And was there actually a point in killing her seeing as he didn't complete the contract?

Also, the game is not that great so far. The mission structure is pretty awful and I hate how they consolified the control scheme. And from what I posted above the story seem pretty stupid as well.

Because IO are very bad storytellers. 47 decides to grow a conscience AFTER shooting the closest thing to a friend he ever had, and not moments before? That makes a lot of fucking sense! Especially considering she was naked in the shower and could've heard her out easily. It's nonsense.

I really wanted to like this game. But it's not a good game, and it's sure as shit not a good Hitman game. I've spent the majority of the first 5 missions dodging cops in poorly constructed stealth mazes. And the game is fucking broken on Hard, don't even want to try higher difficulties. So many guards that it's almost impossible to make it through them without getting spotted or killing them, especially with the broken-ass disguises mechanics, which is all but useless now. Nothing about the sneaking is fun. On the odd occasion that IO decides to actually give the player some freedom and a target to assassinate in a variety of ways (which has been a minor part of the game so far), there are glimpses of Blood Money's greatness. But the levels are too small, the mechanics too restricting, and the checkpoint system is far too frustrating. What a fucking waste. Blood Money was just a fluke, I guess.

Fuck, this looks and feels great on PC.

As for the game itself - loving the system/control refinements. I found Blood Money to be largely clunky and tedious, so the improvements are beyond welcome. A few missions in, and it's really feeling like a much closer [and less handicapped by control and jank] realization of the assassin simulator they've been shooting for since the original.

I have no idea where the notion that it's been dumbed down came from. Are you guys playing on easy?

No opinion on the story thus far other than to say I haven't yet been offended.

Jintor

I think Bateson sells 47's conflicted feelings about what he's doing, so I don't really find it that offensive. I just think the writing, aside from 47 and (to a lesser extent) Victoria, is trashy.

I have no idea where the notion that it's been dumbed down came from. Are you guys playing on easy?

If you found the sandbox exploratory nature of Blood Money 'tedious', then this point of view is understandable.

DocSeuss

If you found the sandbox exploratory nature of Blood Money 'tedious', then this point of view is understandable.

While not the guy you're responding to, I find Blood Money's controls off-putting, which hurts the awesome, sandboxy nature of the game. Blood Money's great, don't get me wrong, but the controls definitely are tedious.

especially with the broken-ass disguises mechanics, which is all but useless now.

What part of the thing don't you guys get? People will spot you wearing similar disguise as their own, while other people will ignore you. The damn prologue taught you that - knock out the chef and you could be walking around just fine. How difficult is it to learn one little thing from previous games is done backwards?

vidcons

Banned
Wait, if it's literally Chaos Theory, wouldn't that make it one of the best games ever? ._.

Not Hitman, but, hey, if it's Chaos Theory, does it really matter all that much?

If this wasn't Hitman, people would be calling the Run For Your Life level an engaging, wholely realized Splinter Cell level.

This is damn good Splinter Cell.

Also, loving the art director behind this. Kane and Lynch team really came into their own with Dog Days, and there love of dirty, rank areas continues to shine through. They make these disgusting little holes that you want to explore. Soundtrack guy was really hung up on the foghorn, although I like the majority of stuff is almost like an ethereal soundscape (nowhere near as mesmerizing as Dog Days lucid, audio dream world).

IO's K&L team can just make every game as far as I'm concerned. Really enjoying this. Going to do my first 'contract'.

What part of the thing don't you guys get? People will spot you wearing similar disguise as their own, while other people will ignore you. The damn prologue taught you that - knock out the chef and you could be walking around just fine. How difficult is it to learn one little thing from previous games is done backwards?

In the latter parts of Run For Your Life I'm pretty sure there isn't any other disguise aside from the police uniform

Jintor

That's not the broken thing. The thing is, the way it works now with the range and spotting abilities/speed of guards, even when disguised to play effectively you still have to hide from guards. In a lot of areas (especially mandatory stealth sequences) there's no alternate costumes that still will grant access but, say, make it so certain areas become inaccessible or something like that. Hitman was never a game solely about peeking around corners and hiding, it was about blending in, looking inconspicuous, not rolling from cover to cover or stressing about which way a guard was looking.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member

That's all well and good, but cops being able to see me THROUGH a crowd of dozens of people, disguise or no, is broken. I get that if you're wearing a cop disguise and you get CLOSE to a cop that he would get suspicious, but they get suspicious at any range at all, as long as you're in their Line of sight. That's broken, to me.

edit: basically what Jintor says above me. Lots of sections with nothing but cops and no other disguises to wear.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
That's not the broken thing. The thing is, the way it works now with the range and spotting abilities/speed of guards, even when disguised to play effectively you still have to hide from guards. In a lot of areas (especially mandatory stealth sequences) there's no alternate costumes that still will grant access but, say, make it so certain areas become inaccessible or something like that. Hitman was never a game solely about peeking around corners and hiding, it was about blending in, looking inconspicuous, not rolling from cover to cover or stressing about which way a guard was looking.

Exactly. This is my problem with the game. It's a Hitman game in name only, but plays more like a Splinter Cell. That's not what I really wanted from my Hitman game. Is it a terrible game? Absolutely not, though there are some poor choices system-wise I have to dock personal points for. I just don't care for these stages where my only option is crawling like a cockroach - it just isn't very fun for someone who wants what Blood Money was all about.

The story/writing in the game is total trash, I'm sorry. There are a few memorable characters (I like Dexter, at least) but most of the script is a real tryhard.

That's not a huge deal though, I guess, considering that most of the rest of the Hitman series is pretty rubbishy in terms of story. It's just... jesus man, that fucking maid. and Lenny. Eurgh.

Also yeah, Run For Your Life is the lowlight of the game.

MMaRsu

I seriously don't understand how someone could give this a 9 and say this is the best Hitman game in the series.

Unless you like a linear action game that plays like a mix between the Hitman games of old with crazy insane AI and SC Conviction.

It doesnt even have a decent soundtrack :|.

Why is the disguise system in this game if, within 10 miliseconds, you're immediately suspected, EVEN on normal. Like a previous post mentioned Agent 47's ability to blend in was one of his greatest, now its his worst enemy.

So many things wrong with this game.

@MMaRsu, I totally agree. I said this earlier, but it cannot be overstated. The soundtrack is abysmal. The worst and most uninspired soundtrack I've ever heard.

Zeliard

I get that if you're wearing a cop disguise and you get CLOSE to a cop that he would get suspicious, but they get suspicious at any range at all, as long as you're in their Line of sight. That's broken, to me.

Yeah that seems.... counterintuitive.

RevDM

Banned
I seriously don't understand how someone could give this a 9 and say this is the best Hitman game in the series.

Unless you like a linear action game that plays like a mix between the Hitman games of old with crazy insane AI and SC Conviction.

It doesnt even have a decent soundtrack :|.

It's a really good game. And with a little work, it too can be more like Call of Duty.

Jintor

I mean, I shouldn't have my complex plan to mug a guy foiled because a cop comes out of the bathroom and INSTANTLY gets all up in my face with no chance on my part to react.

Watching old walkthroughs of Run For Your Life, the disguise system worked like everyone expected it to. 47 dons the cop uniform and walks right through the chopper's spotlight without being noticed, what changed? It's almost like it's glitched now.

sCHOCOLATE

Still not entirely convinced with what I'm hearing about Absolution. Re-downloading the Blood Money demo from XBL to see how rose-coloured my glasses have been. Is there any specific release date for the Hitman HD collection yet?

RevDM

Banned
9wQ8a.jpg

New Hitman Absolution screens

On hitmanforum there's a big thread about disguise system issues and one of the IO devs chimed in that they'll look at feedback and possibly do something if enough people are having trouble with it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
On hitmanforum there's a big thread about disguise system issues and one of the IO devs chimed in that they'll look at feedback and possibly do something if enough people are having trouble with it.

They need to take a big fat look at the detection system in general. I just had a nearly perfect run completely ruined by a guard who saw me with his back turned to me. Complete bullshit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So I just did my first crack at The King of Chinatown, hard difficulty.

- Found the Fugu fish.
- Wandered about and found some drugs on the ground with the option to poison them with the fish, so I did that.
- While wandering around trying to figure out how to get the drugs to the King, he apparently got them himself and keeled over dead somewhere...

ifZ3n4XIbQz90.png

Silent Assassin for doing... nothing really.

Well this is off to a riveting start.

DukeBobby

Just finished 'Hunter and Hunted'.

Easily the best mission so far.

EDIT: Also, aside from the stupid helicopter bit, I rather enjoyed 'Run for Your Life'.

RevDM

Banned

- Found the Fugu fish.
- Wandered about and found some drugs on the ground with the option to poison them with the fish.
- While wandering around trying to figure out how to get the drugs to the King, he apparently got them himself and keeled over dead somewhere...

ifZ3n4XIbQz90.png

Wait.. you're telling me if you literally do nothing for long enough you get SA rating?

justjim89

- Found the Fugu fish.
- Wandered about and found some drugs on the ground with the option to poison them with the fish, so I did that.

ifZ3n4XIbQz90.png

To be fair, SA has always been about doing as little as possible, essentially. Making as little of an impact on your environment as you can. You did that.

Jintor

They need to take a big fat look at the detection system in general. I just had a nearly perfect run completely ruined by a guard who saw me with his back turned to me. Complete bullshit.

I also like that apparently every single market clerk in Chinatown knows one another and will get up in your face if they see you. Walking Chinatown a second time is veeeeeery tedious.

bhlaab

They are far more unforgiving than Blood Money, but they are definitely not broken.

In fact, I played Silent Assassin a few days ago and I didn't have any problems with it.

Seems to me that unless you have a specific route memorized for each mission, or are willing to reap failure after failure in pursuit of said specific route, Hitman 2 is a complete Pain in the Ass.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

- Found the Fugu fish.

ifZ3n4XIbQz90.png

:lol oh my. So basically, just mixing drugs and fish together -which still was in your pocket- triggered the King's death?

jesus

Top Bottom