• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Loving the game so far. Yeah, the story is problematic and the game really isn't at its best unless it's an assassination mission, but I'm fine with the new control system.

God I didn't want to do this, but fuck it. I agree with Derrick01 (yes, THAT guy) about the game not being a true hitman game. Is VERY hard to get SA, is like the devs don't want you to get that and just kill everybody, and some missions plays just like some generic shooters. The cool weapons can only be used on Contract mode, wtf is this. I am already finishing the game, but I expected more. Way more...

However, the history is the best on the series (cus you know, the other games didn't have any plot at all lol), and the graphics are amazing.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, quick question: I bought the game from GMG. How can I register it on the Square Enix website? It's asking me for a game code, and I have 2 of them, but only one fits the required format. I input it and it says "invalid code". Am I screwed?

DukeBobby

God I didn't want to do this, but fuck it. I agree with Derek (yes, that guy) about the game not being a true hitman game. Is VERY hard to get SA, and some missions play just like some generic shooters. I already ending the game, but I expected more. Way more...

However, the history is the best on the series (cus you know, the other games didn't have any plot at all lol), and the graphics are amazing.

Yeah, the rating system is fucked up. After I killed the last target in the fifth mission, it said that I currently had a Silent Assassin rating. When I finished the mission, I only had a Shadow rating.

No bodies were found, and even when I previewed my score when I got to the exit, it said 'Silent Assassin"

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Just reloaded a checkpoint some time after the helicopter segment, game got stuck loading. 10 minutes later it was still loading. I don't think I've ever had the urge to uninstall a game this fast before.

vidcons

Banned
Yeah, the rating system is fucked up. After I killed the last target in the fifth mission, it said that I currently had a Silent Assassin rating. When I finished the mission, I only had a Shadow rating.

No bodies were found, and even when I previewed my score when I got to the exit, it said 'Silent Assassin"
My one gripe about the game would be that the rating is always on screen.

Some hilariously tinted glasses when it comes to the old games and how they played out.

JambiBum

I'm pretty happy with the game except for how sensitive the disguise system is. I like the concept of it, if you are a cop other cops will notice you but non cops won't unless you do something dumb, but I wish they would change the way people can detect you in a disguise. Blood Money's system was too easy, you could walk through anywhere and anyone with the right disguise. What I would have loved for them to do is keep the way it works now with whatever group you are disguised as noticing you earlier, but instead of the ridiculous way it works now, change it to if player is within x range of AI the player has a higher chance of being detected. Then with the difficulty levels this range increases and the chance guards will notice suspicious behavior becomes more likely as well. So for each difficulty we would use how close you can be to a guard and what kind of activity you can get away with. Easy: Just don't bump into someone, anything. Normal: 3 ft, Climbing ok, brandishing weapons bad. Hard: 5 ft, Climbing and moving quickly suspicious, will detect if they see you doing something for too long unless blending. Expert: 10 ft, Normal pace recommended, time it takes to detect lessens unless blending. Purist: 20 ft, any suspicious behavior in line of sight almost immediately detected.

The distances could obviously be changed but I think the behaviors are pretty good. The way it is now pretty much throws player behavior out the window and only relies on line of sight. It didn't take me very long to think of that system. I just combined what I thought worked in BM and what I think works now.

Hargenx

Why put disguise if it don't work properly, this is bullshit, I'm killing everything everytime my disguise fail...LOL

It's a fun game, thanks GMG for the BIG discount!=)

Jintor

Chinatown redux was pretty fun actually, but the way the disguise system works really puts a dampner on exploration and poking around. Also, is there a way to check the leaderboards without entering the game?

You probably got Silent Assassin for the last map/area, but Shadow for the overall mission, because you spent half of it fucking running from Police or some shit.

Man this game is really weird. The cast is characters they put together is something out of a bad grind house movie.

Also I've been running from cops and raiding buildings for a long time and that is not what I want out of Hitman.

vidcons

Banned
My understanding is that there are two types of disguises, face and clothes. Clothes just mean that you can't let them see your face, so go look in a corner when they're coming your way. Haven't run into anything dealing with your face but I imagine there is something in the game, somewhere.

It's a realistic take on the forgiveness of the previous games for getting too close. Now your ability to get close is tied to the Instinct bar which is cool in some respects. Running around with your head down would break any challenge, but then you have to figure out a way to make the Instinct meaningful instead of just being the gameification of face touching.

So, just look in a corner when guards pass by you and it should work fine.

Salsa

not sure if im gonna play this yet

getting drops to 40s on my 560ti with everything on max, and it being this good looking.. I think im gonna wait for my 670 (hopefully soon) to appreciate it at its fullest.

Sojgat

Man this game is really weird. The cast is characters they put together is something out of a bad grind house movie.

Also I've been running from cops and raiding buildings for a long time and that is not what I want out of Hitman.

I always liked the interpretation that all the grotesque characters were a reflection of 47's own warped outlook. After watching the GB quicklook that idea seems to have been thrown out the window. I still can't decide if I want to open this game, or if I should just return it, and save myself the aggravation.

Jintor

It's a realistic take on the forgiveness of the previous games for getting too close.

It's bizarre that a guard crouching behind a couch and rolling from cover to cover, or who turns to avoid your glare every moment, is less suspicious than a guard casually strolling past.

vidcons

Banned
It's bizarre that a guard crouching behind a couch and rolling from cover to cover, or who turns to avoid your glare every moment, is less suspicious than a guard casually strolling past.

When all the guards would know one another and could recognize a face that isn't a part of their crew?

Or a cop that they've never seen at the station before?

Anyone want a Classic Hitman Trilogy gamestop code?
Sure?

Jintor

So they don't see you?

Why don't you neatly state your point?

Okay. I'm in a dressing room, guards are playing pool. There's a small couch or whatever, and then a chair, and then the other wall.

Now, if I just casually saunter past, they'll see more long enough for their bullshit psychic crap to trigger. But if I diveroll from the couch to the chair to the wall, they'll spot me while I'm rolling, but instantly forget I exist when I get behind the chair.

The net effect is, a man dive-rolling between chairs is apparently less suspicious then a guard just walking past.

/edit I don't actually mind the people-notice-that-you're-not-in-their-crew thing. The problem is in the implementation. There's not enough alternative disguises to get into areas without attracting attention, some things tend to escape logic (every single vendor in Chinatown knowing one another, for instance), recognition site radius per guard is huge. It's far more frustrating than it is challenging.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Just played through the tutorial mission. I admit I liked it quite a lot, honestly. Compared to Death of a Showman from Blood Money, this one felt like I had more liberty to proceed, instead of being ultra linear. Still, dividing the missions into mini-levels is not something I like, specially when I'm not allowed to backtrack to find a disguise or piece of evidence I missed. And there were several cutscenes, which in my opinion breaks the pacing. They didn't bother me at all in Max Payne 3, but I can see them doing so here.

Oh, and now I understand all the complains about disguises in this game. I'm not too fond of the way they are implemented here. And giving me a "pacification" penalty because I
drugged up the chef
, even though I hid him afterwards? C'mon, I didn't raise any alarm, nobody discovered me, why am I not allowed to use non-lethal tactics to take civilians out of the way? That fucked up with my rank, giving me just a Professional.

Forgot to mention, I'm playing in Normal. Please don't hate me.

I hope the Contracts mode is enabled soon, wanna try it.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
That's not the broken thing. The thing is, the way it works now with the range and spotting abilities/speed of guards, even when disguised to play effectively you still have to hide from guards. In a lot of areas (especially mandatory stealth sequences) there's no alternate costumes that still will grant access but, say, make it so certain areas become inaccessible or something like that. Hitman was never a game solely about peeking around corners and hiding, it was about blending in, looking inconspicuous, not rolling from cover to cover or stressing about which way a guard was looking.

That is where instinct comes in. Instinct past a section, silent take down a couple guys to get some more. If you want lower reaction times, play a lower difficulty. That plays more like the old Hitman games, disguise wise. Get a costume, frolic around where ever you please.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The AI is really stingy on detecting you, but I'm enjoying this a lot so far, though I'm only midway in RFYL. I got through the Library without detection which was pure stealth without a disguise, and was pretty fun. I really liked Terminus Hotel, the Janitor suit helped a lot and I found quite a few ways to get around the level already.

I am an old school Hitman player, first one I bought was Hitman 2. I love this game. I admit breaking up bigger levels into sections is more of a step back. But I remember reading something from the developer this week that said the consoles didn't let them do everything they wanted to do.

It's possible that they couldn't make the game this detailed and have every level be a huge sandbox. Not making excuses, but anyway this is a great stealth game, with elements of past Hitman games, but I suppose fans wanted Blood Money HD with new levels.

vidcons

Banned
Okay. I'm in a dressing room, guards are playing pool. There's a small couch or whatever, and then a chair, and then the other wall.

Now, if I just casually saunter past, they'll see more long enough for their bullshit psychic crap to trigger. But if I diveroll from the couch to the chair to the wall, they'll spot me while I'm rolling, but instantly forget I exist when I get behind the chair.

The net effect is, a man dive-rolling between chairs is apparently less suspicious then a guard just walking past.

/edit I don't actually mind the people-notice-that-you're-not-in-their-crew thing. The problem is in the implementation. There's not enough alternative disguises to get into areas without attracting attention, some things tend to escape logic (every single vendor in Chinatown knowing one another, for instance), recognition site radius per guard is huge. It's far more frustrating than it is challenging.

I can understand this when the comment on your rolling and crouching, or when the lights in the room are on. When it's dark out, I just imagine they don't take notice of a silhouette until the bar fills up. ~immersion~

I'm not saying it's a great system, or a better one than what they had, but it's interesting enough for me and I'm not really ever that surprised by the outcome of my actions thanks to all the notifications. Sometimes, the original Hitman games left me puzzled as to how I was discovered.

There has to be a config file I can edit to remove the score tracker. Stealth games are bad enough when it comes to restarting at checkpoints, I don't need big red numbers showing up on the screen to let me know I failed.

justjim89

This is exactly why IO is fellating itself

Because they're successfully gaining new fans by making a few compromises from the old games instead of making Blood Money 2 and catering to the same small niche audience?

Of course they're happy. It's smart business. And in the process they've created a really fun game.

Still, dividing the missions into mini-levels is not something I like, specially when I'm not allowed to backtrack to find a disguise or piece of evidence I missed.
It sucks when you're wearing a disguise into a new area, only to find that it fucks you up for that area, and there's no way to change back to something that won't fuck you up.

Hunter and Hunted spoilers:
For the Chinese New Year part of Hunter and Hunted I entered with a cop uniform and it made that whole level a pain. There was no way to switch back to the suit, and the store vendor outfit was just as bad. It wasn't until I found the Chipmunk costume that I could even move around without using the cover system, which is pretty lolworthy for that level.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Jesus, how do you do the outside of the train station? I'm trying to do a suit run but I am convinced that it isn't even possible here. So many cops surrounding me at all angles and the game's hint of "standing still" to blend in is total bullshit.

Foffy

Banned
Jesus, how do you do the outside of the train station? I'm trying to do a suit run but I am convinced that it isn't even possible here. So many cops surrounding me at all angles and the game's hint of "standing still" to blend in is total bullshit.

I caved and used a police suit..only to realize the game pulls a Blood Money and assumes every mission is finished with a suit, as cutscenes show this.

Top Bottom