• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

I switched from Expert to Hard in the end.

Expert isn't the challenging kind of hard, it's the infuriating bullshit kind of hard.

I can't begin to imagine how bad it must be on purist. it's a shame too, the higher difficulties in previous games never really felt unfair or infuriating. if you were caught or something, it was always your fault, you did something wrong. here the game actively goes out of its way to make sure you trip up or make mistakes. it's not challenging, it is, as you said, infuriating.

No, it can not.

You provided a cheap cop out to a problem the game has and then attack MMaRsu when he calls you out for it!

Except it is not a problem for me. Regarding respawning enemies specifically the problem can be eliminated by playing without checkpoints, the levels are short enough that it is never a big setback to restart the section.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Hunter and Hunted was an AMAZING level, holy shit. I think it took me 2-3 hours on its own, and I got Silent Assassin on the major segments.

Overall, this game is very different but still very much Hitman, even if there is more traditional stealth mixed in. I do think the AI should be tweaked to be not so crazy with the rapid disguise reveals, but I've figured out some good tips already and have been using same suit disguises a lot, it does add a nice gameplay twist and I see what they're going for even if the ingame logic is odd.

First off, being crouched and stealthing around makes it shoot up very fast if someone sees you. That's what causes some of the cases where you get seen through a narrow gap and get your cover blown almost immediately. However, if you're walking around and are in close vicinity it also goes up super fast. This is the biggest gripe I have with it, sometimes you turn a corner and OH SHIT there's a guy that's so close it just blows your cover. However, I am able to walk around areas full of similar suited people fine(on hard), so I don't think it's broken like other people are saying. Face away from people and it goes down, breaking line of sight makes it vanish, etc. If you're in a crowd you can just turn around and stand still to blend in.

So far, my pros and cons off the first couple of levels...

Cons:

-Why can't I close doors? They close by themselves, but the disguises have a lot more technique based on losing line of sight, so closing doors as I pass through them is a good way to cut them off. Weird.

-Loss of sniper case. I can see why they got rid of it, but being able to pass enemies and just whip it out of your outfit is lolz. This is one thing that they probably did to help the action half of Hitman, since the big shotguns and stuff work the same way. Instead of being placed in a case within the level(and being the moment you were forced to shoot the level up if you used them), you now have more choice with it. Still, walking around with the case was badass as hell and I'll miss it.

-No stair walk animation. Da fuck. :(

-Checkpoints, like mentioned all over the place, are weird and reset everything if you use them. I had a case where I activated and got caught IMMEDIATLY afterwards, and restarting preventing this...so I guess I see why they made it like this, but it's wonky. Another checkpoint I had was before a target, and when I reset it the target was gone and had to travel back to the area.

-That Helicopter thing in RFYL was shit.

Mixed:

-QTE Melee. It's lame, but it was also shitty in previous games. Not a huge deal since takedowns from behind don't cause this, and you can assault from the front with a melee weapon if people aren't hostile.

-Level sectioning. This has been causing a single segment to not be as big as Hitman can usually get, but something like Hunter and Hunted is MASSIVE when taken in the scope as one long level going into many different areas. All the segments themselves have many routes and options to mess around with, so the core of Hitman and experimentation is still there. The lack of a map has been making it pretty fun for me, exploration has been more vital than ever for me.

Pros:

-Graphics are extremely impressive. Massive crowds, nice lighting, great art design. Going from BM to this on the same console is fucking crazy.

-Challenges are genius. Check marking all of these is going to be very fun, and seeing the list of weapons at the end shows me that I'm missing a ton of possibilities despite scoping out levels already.

-Changes to controls have been good. Not as clunky as previous games, though it still has a bit of a learning curve.

-NPC Dialog both manages to flesh out the world and the events happening within, gives depth to the people I will inevitably kill in Contracts mode, and there's a staggering amount of it. When I saw the intial RFYL video I recall being very impressed by the dialog the police were having and thinking there's no way the game would be able to pull stuff like that off in normal play, but I was apparently wrong there. A lot of contextual stuff you do can get commentated on as well, like me opening a safe in the Shangri La to see a shitload of explosives within, blowing it up and having everyone gather around and freak out that there might be more bombs strewn about by a lunatic.

-Game difficulty is hard, which makes it very satisfying for me personally. A lot of the AI tweaks are pretty cool, like blood pools being found and them contacting nearby guards to investigate.

-All the levels have been solid for me, so far.

Exodus

Banned
No, disguise system in BM was about finding the disguise that can get you undetected through the whole level e.g. Secret Service agent, bodyguard, etc. Once you got that you were free to roam the level and set up ambushes the way you liked, all difficulty at that moment disappeared. In this game you have to be constantly aware of your surroundings and react to any changes in the environment. Way harder and way more realistic.

The same can be said about people posting the opposite.

How realistic is it to take the disguise of the one judge in the courthouse and troop around like you own the place while the portrait of the judge hangs on the wall and all of a sudden your voice changed(Just so you know, I think everyone knows the presiding judge at a courthouse that works there, it's a given)?
Or hey, how about how realistic is it to take on the guard uniform out of like 200+ guards and always arouse suspicion when viewed even though you're wearing a bandana covering your bald head and sunglasses?

TheD

The Detective
Except it is not a problem for me. Regarding respawning enemies specifically the problem can be eliminated by playing without checkpoints, the levels are short enough that it is never a big setback to restart the section.

Then why does the game have check points and if the 10 min level section thing is true does that not mean you don't get much freedom in any level?

No, disguise system in BM was about finding the disguise that can get you undetected through the whole level e.g. Secret Service agent, bodyguard, etc. Once you got that you were free to roam the level and set up ambushes the way you liked, all difficulty at that moment disappeared. In this game you have to be constantly aware of your surroundings and react to any changes in the environment. Way harder and way more realistic.

I disagree. blood money wasn't as simple as you're suggesting, you could still be caught out even if in disguise if you acted out of character. the difference was that blood money didn't require the player to constantly have to use to a mechanic to blend. the disguise, if you didn't do anything suspicious or out of character was enough, just as it would be in real life.

so really, blood money had the more realistic disguise mechanic.

that's the key difference. the difficulty and realism here isn't realistic in the slightest. it's exaggerated to the point of causing genuine anegr and that doesn't make for a good gaming experience.

On one hand, it's rare to see a stealth game be so brutally unfair on higher difficulties which is why I've just gone back to Normal. However I'm run through the Terminus again on hard and it's not *that* tough. Unlike Blood Money you can't use the same tactics everywhere and get by cleanly.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
On one hand, it's rare to see a stealth game be so brutally unfair on higher difficulties which is why I've just gone back to Normal. However I'm run through the Terminus again on hard and it's not *that* tough. Unlike Blood Money you can't use the same tactics everywhere and get by cleanly.

All the missions are a LOT easier once you have knowledge of them. I went through a lot of them on Purist.

Which is why you play on Expert, which doesn't have checkpoints. Blank slate every time.

Yeah the expert difficulty and absence of checkpoints justifies enemies respawning on the normal difficulty. Also the expert difficulty is fun too, in which enemies are changed with psychics who see through your disguise (which includes a uniform and a mask or an assault helmet) from over 25 meters.

I really loved this game even though its more of a Splinter Cell than a Hitman game. One of my favourite games of this year. I just love the art style and theme. But i don't understand why some people put out such terrible arguaments to stop people from criticizing this game.

Edit:
dexter industries on purist? can you do a video walkthrough, I would love to see it.

Would love to see that.

Lord Phol

Only played the first mission so far but enjoyed it, was suprised with how good the game looks even on Medium settings. This game really looks great.
Did I tell you that it looks great?

How realistic is it to take the disguise of the one judge in the courthouse and troop around like you own the place while the portrait of the judge hangs on the wall and all of a sudden your voice changed(Just so you know, I think everyone knows the presiding judge at a courthouse that works there, it's a given)?
Or hey, how about how realistic is it to take on the guard uniform out of like 200+ guards and always arouse suspicion when viewed even though you're wearing a bandana covering your bald head and sunglasses?

Is the disguise here perfect? No, I as many others think enemies spot you too fast, my guess is this will be tweaked soon. Although some people already posted some new things that add to the speed you are seen: facing the person watching you and sneaking.

Then why does the game have check points and if the 10 min level section thing is true does that not mean you don't get much freedom in any level?

The game has checkpoints because some OCD gamers think 10 minutes is too much, so they need checkpoints every 3-4 minutes. Doesn't mean you should use them, esp. if you are playing stealthily and not as 3rd person CoD.

I disagree. blood money wasn't as simple as you're suggesting, you could still be caught out even if in disguise if you acted out of character. the difference was that blood money didn't require the player to constantly have to use to a mechanic to blend. the disguise, if you didn't do anything suspicious or out of character was enough, just as it would be in real life.

so really, blood money had the more realistic disguise mechanic.

More realistic? Yes. More difficult? Hell no. Check every SA run in Blood Money, it is always the same - get disguise, run around the level with no worry in sight. And if the difficulty is an issue for you feel free to select Normal.

Exodus

Banned
Yeah the expert difficulty and absence of checkpoints justifies enemies respawning on the normal difficulty. Also the expert difficulty is fun too, in which enemies are changed with psychics who see through your disguise (which includes a uniform and a mask or an assault helmet) from over 25 meters.

I really loved this game even though its more of a Splinter Cell than a Hitman game. One of my favourite games of this year. I just love the art style and theme. But i don't understand why some people put out such terrible arguaments to stop people from criticizing this game.

Edit:

Would love to see that.

I would love to see that SA'd.

This has probably been answered but I'm trying to avoid the thread for spoilers, so I'll just ask here -- any differences between 360 vs PS3? Is there a superior version, or are they both on par?

Exodus

Banned
I just really hope they tweak the radius size of suspicion for just normal traversal. Doing things out of character should immediately put you on their radar but simply walking around in an area the disguise allows me in should not be call to be suspicious.

This has probably been answered a lot but I'm trying to avoid the thread for spoilers, so I'll just ask here -- any differences between 360 vs PS3? Is there a superior version, or are they both pretty on par?

Both are pretty close. PS3 is a bit better according to Digital Foundry as far as i remember. Check their Face-off article.

TheD

The Detective
The game has checkpoints because some OCD gamers think 10 minutes is too much, so they need checkpoints every 3-4 minutes. Doesn't mean you should use them, esp. if you are playing stealthily and not as 3rd person CoD.

Pretty sure that going stealthily makes you need checkpoints more, not less.

And that still does not mean anything good with each area only lasting 10 mins.

Jintor

Fuck Rosewood. If only I had some greater way to clear a room than to toss books

/edit Rosewood spoilers

I'm pretty sure if you just shot the guy holding the grenade who didn't even have the pin in his finger everything would've worked out there, 47. Especially given you just shot like 4 guys in one second...

Zep

Banned
Stopped at the 2nd part of 'run for your life' and called it a night. Hope I can bump up the difficulty because on normal the AI act like a bunch of retards. Shooting(especially with silenced silverballers) feels and sounds great...Throwing knives to the back of peoples head is awesome...Shotgun blasts sending people 5ft in the air looks cool...I feel like Steven Seagal ripping shit up stealthily but with a few firefights in between. I tried my best to kill no civilians or cops but there were a few casualties.

I'd like to call my play style open-ended confusion. I leave them guessing where I am and bam! knifed to the back of the head from the opposite corner.

Cloudy

Banned
Played the prologue level. This is my first Hitman game but I'm really digging it so far. AI seemed pretty weak at some points but I'm not playing on professional lol. Really reminds me of the original Splinter Cell but more "open"

PS: The story is kind of ridiculous though
Why did he shoot Diana with no questions asked if he was going to do whatever she wanted anyways?

Played the first quarter of the game I guess last night and this game is absolutely beast haha. I can only imagine that the mixed reviews come from comparisons to what has came before. Have never played a Hitman game until now, but this is really great. The level designs are nice and layered, I love how the game encourages you to go right back in and try it out another way with rewards for doing so, and it;s definitely a nice looking game on console. Story is terrible haha but this is a huge surprise to me, I've only known these guys as the guys who made K&L haha. +1 for the game.

The level design in Absolution flirts with what the older Hitman games had at times in terms of being large and expansive, although this is somewhat undermined by those larger levels being segmented. Then there are the corridor like sections which usually offer a binary choice in terms of how you can traverse them. Absolution is honestly a step back in terms of level design compared to the older Hitman games.

Foffy

Banned
Finished the game, and I feel a bit meh about some things. Near the end of the game I simply bailed on even getting disguises because they didn't seem too helpful near the end. The way they set it up in Absolution is so flakey that you're better off playing it as a Splinter Cell game instead of a Hitman game in regards to hiding vs social stealth. The plot in retrospect is not making much sense to me now:
why did Dexter ever want Victoria in the first place? I mean, I get he found out she was important, but either they poorly explained his original incentive or the game never tells you. Also, how is Diana still alive? I thought she was pretty dead, all things considered..

If the disguise system was more worthwhile, I think this would be an incredibly solid Hitman game. But with the way it is now, it almost shoves Hitman into the molding of a Splinter Cell title. I think Absolution will never get away from the Splinter Cell comparisons, be it progression methods or the crazy comparisons to Conviction. At least there's Contracts mode, so there may be fan-made levels that take these "issues" into their design.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, contracts mode is a lot of fun. Made a fun little one in the first level with a backstory of being a grocery clerk and finally snapping on your old manager who became a chef. And by 'snapping on' I mean murdering with a fire poker.

I used to work on a boat for a few years that had 300+ people on it, I can tell you right now that I knew everyone of them. Not in a super beat friends sort of way, but I knew their names and faces. Why is it so hard to believe that cops and bouncers and janitorial staff don't know each other?

It's annoying in a game setting, but it's really not that far fetched as far as realism is concerned. Though, I think it's dumb to knock out a goon who wears a mask, and not put the mask on. That's just plain stupid.

derFeef

I used to work on a boat for a few years that had 300+ people on it, I can tell you right now that I knew everyone of them. Not in a super beat friends sort of way, but I knew their names and faces. Why is it so hard to believe that cops and bouncers and janitorial staff don't know each other?

It's annoying in a game setting, but it's really not that far fetched as far as realism is concerned. Though, I think it's dumb to knock out a goon who wears a mask, and not put the mask on. That's just plain stupid.

I really like the concept, but it's far too touchy for it being useful in a videogame imho. At least the range seems way to harsh.

How much is Purist score bonus? I did 28 150 on Expert during the Prologue with all challenges, my guess is Purist will push it into ~33-34K. Is it enough for SA? Also, do I only have to re-do last section (Mansion Ground Floor) or do I need to start from the beginning of the level?

Untracked

Playing the Arena level and I'm sneaking around as you do. When all of a sudden 'Hostile' appears on screen and I am then shot to death through a brick wall. There were no enemies in the room, I couldn't hide from the gunfire, it just came through the wall... smh.

I agree about the music. It's not exactly bad, it's just flat. No high or low points, just consistently meh. Shame.

Overall I'm really enjoying it. Got Mastery on King of Chinatown. Hot Coffee is hilarious, he just slumps in his seat, nobody notices a thing lol.

I'd enjoy this game more, if it didn't crash all the damn time.

On PC. I get ~50-60 fps constantly, then the game just decides to freeze sometimes. I'm loving it though.

Robot Pants

I loved Blood Money, but that was years ago. My gaming interests have dwindled since then, and I realize I no longer have the patience for these types of games. Nor the time to sit down and do them stealthily and correctly.
Glad I Red Boxed it. Seems like a good Hitman game though.

Uthred

Its not a good hitman game

This "No true scotsman" bullshit is getting tedious, franchises change direction, you not liking it doesnt magically make it not a Hitman game. The game likely has genuine issues but the majority of the complaints seem to boil down to "Oh noes its different"

MMaRsu

This "No true scotsman" bullshit is getting tedious, franchises change direction, you not liking it doesnt magically make it not a Hitman game. The game likely has genuine issues but the majority of the complaints seem to boil down to "Oh noes its different"

Have you even played it i wonder

Flayer

It's very similar to the first 2 Hitman games and takes lots of cues and gameplay elements from Blood Money. If anything, Blood Money is the odd one out. Saying this all the Hitman games are extremely similar on a fundamental level, Blood Money just had a few different tweaks in the balancing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The game seems okay so far, a couple missions in it shows potential. I don't find the checkpoints annoying, I haven't used them yet either.

Is it actually doable to not even subdue anyone outside the target though? It seems that the only way to be completely unseen in some areas is to get a disquise which requires taking someone down, like the chef in that one mission. Unless you can also find a disguise somewhere else I didn't discover yet.

The game and level design definitely seem to promote more aggressive behaviour even if it's possible otherwise. Do you even get a good score for upgrades if you basically only off the target? It seemed you get tons of points for the various achievements like actually using different weapons etc.

Anyway, other than that stuff I really wish they had updated 47's move roster more, it's annoying to not be able to vault over knee high cover objects, climb up and down places that aren't obviously marked, etc.

Also, what's with so many actions having their own separate key? Why can't I change disguises with the use key? The same for dragging bodies and whatever else. Especially with the way they have you target objects of interest it would have been no issue to use the same key for all these. Unless I can map the same key without issues in game of course, I didn't try that yet after noticing the mouse wheel is of course bound to different actions that don't conflict like weapon switching and scope zooming.

Also, 47's face sucks, even in the prerendered cut scenes. Most of the animating and what not in the cut scenes sucks too. Too bad they focus so much on that stuff, I want to skip the cut scenes but without missing on the premise and what not...

RevDM

Banned
How would you feel if grand theft auto became more linear and less sandbox like hitman? Probably unhappy.

Top Bottom