• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

nOoblet16

Wow at the shooting range challenge, that score is just absurd.
I did finish that level using an alternate and a much easier (as well as sensible) way though.

If you wear this disguise, will the other cops still be able to recognise you?

Yes, there's no difference sadly between the cops and SWAT suits. Although I was playing on Expert, the reaction cones go really fast so can't tell the difference. I then did a Suit Only run for it, and was pretty much the same because it's more about blending than using a disguise there.

robatw

High difficulties fucking suck because the game hasn't been built to accommodate the additional challenge. Instinct that wont recharge, more guards that all spot you faster, thrown into situations where you need instinct the most. It's not 'pure Hitman' by any stretch of the imagination, it's just tedious, annoying, and borderline broken.

absolutely. i played the chinatown mission for like 2 hours yesterday on hard. i was so frustrated that i looked up a YT vid and saw that it is frickin easy on "normal" - it takes 3m.

ibwRG9LSFtCrg4.gif

Can't wait to see more of Blake Dexter later on, love his facial expressions. That was a finger-licking good teaser!

ikIwvlrPMeDlH.gif

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's what I was afraid of about difficulties. Shame people fell for the hype and thought they turned the game around due to cheesy "be challenged in pure mode" PR. It should be pretty obvious that you can't just instantly change design fundamentals copying altogether different games at the very end of development to make another game like those.

And yeah, the way disguises work is stupidly annoying even in the normal difficulty except when you get some unique one that still gets access to the different areas, like the chef in the tutorial level. Though then that feels cheesy as you can do almost anything.

DasTanK

I love when stealth games put a lot of characterisation and humanity in its NPCs and enemies. It's a great juxtaposition to the cold and amoral assassin protagonist.

Just finished that. It's a shame it comes after Terminus which might already be one of my favorite Hitman levels now just because of all the colorful characters, verticality, and tic-tac-toe of which disguise to use where (Janitor is the answer). True, true that's not a very Hitman level where you can't use disguises because cops everywhere, with lots of cinematic stuff but I still love the library. The most annoying part to me is how there's only way in Shangri La to get past the cops at the end by making them dance.

The blending in the train station isn't quite as refined as Assassin's Creed (funny how both series have inspired each other now), and with no Instinct hints on Expert difficulty couldn't tell if I was hiding properly in a group.

There is another way to get pass them.
There is a room with a cop and a safe. You need to find a notepad(same room) that has the combo to open the safe. The cop will find the safe open and call every cop over to the safe,leaving you a clean exit.

How do you do this? I could never figure it out. I followed the guy and he went down some stairs and I knocked him out and took his clothes but couldn't figure out the rest.
If you want to poison the drugs, you have to steal the Fugu fish poison from one of the street vendors on the East of the King's original location. You don't need a disguise, wait until the chef turns her back on you, just walk up and steal it.

Terra_Ex

I got so frustrated on the King of China level last night. Evidently there is a bug in the PC version where the King just stands in the gazebo doing nothing. He wont leave unless something occurs (car alarm, 47 as drug dealer).

The drug dealer too wouldn't leave his room.

I spent an hour trying to figure out how to get the King to do something other than stand there...
I've noticed this can happen with quite a large number of npcs, possibly all of them. Occasionally after retrying any level any given npc will just sit in position, such as guards that refuse to follow their patrol routes.

If you want to poison the drugs, you have to steal the Fugu fish poison from one of the street vendors on the East of the King's original location. You don't need a disguise, wait until the chef turns her back on you, just walk up and steal it.

AHHHH thank you... now here is another question if anyone knows concerning that level
Anyone ever able to take him out blowing the car up with the detonator?
I can't figure a way to get past those guys guarding the car.

Yeah, my initial impressions aren't great. While the multiple approaches of King of Chinatown are fun, EatChildren's critique of the new disguise system is pretty spot-on. I actually like the idea of people being able to recognise their own in theory, but in practice the system is too unforgiving.

EDIT: On the plus side, I think the game looks beautiful and it's very atmospheric.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah the game is definitely gorgeous. Level detail is through the roof, and textures look incredible. Also, 47's ears have what appears to be a subsurface scattering shader, or at least a shader that emulates the effect of light moving through thin skin.

Salsa

Yeah the game is definitely gorgeous. Level detail is through the roof, and textures look incredible. Also, 47's ears have what appears to be a subsurface scattering shader, or at least a shader that emulates the effect of light moving through thin skin.

im basically getting a 670/80 to experience proper EARS

There is another way to get pass them.
There is a room with a cop and a safe. You need to find a notepad(same room) that has the combo to open the safe. The cop will find the safe open and call every cop over to the safe,leaving you a clean exit.

Ah thanks, couldn't find out how to get the code for the safe. Thought if I kept on banging the radio enough times, the cops would figure out in time :p

nOoblet16

The game looks very good but the animations are so simplistic.

I actually like the idea of people being able to recognise their own in theory, but in practice the system is too unforgiving.
Especially when the person you stole the disguise from and the person trying to recognize you are from an entirely different area of the game, even worse is when you are wearing a disguise with mask or balaclava on...how the fuck can someone possibly recognize you in that case ?

Just reading this page, and haven't followed the thread at all, but just got past the
Terminus hotel
and the disguise system seems useless. Im playing on normal, and getting into a disguise does nothing for me. Ill walk into a room, walking normally, and a guy from 30 feet away will immediately go "Hey you!".

I enjoyed the stealth in Deus Ex, I cant even stealth in this. Too many people moving too fast who are too suspicious and too eager to alarm everyone in the world if they even smell something could maybe possibly be wrong. I just said fuck it last level and was walking into rooms and down hallways, shotgun in hand, mowing down everyone.

derFeef

AHHHH thank you... now here is another question if anyone knows concerning that level

I wanted in there, or in the other room where you can sabotage that fuse box, no idea where it would have led me. Guess I should stretch the game more.

I got through there on Normal
and there was only one guard, he'll go talk on his cellphone and you can take him out then.
Since my save was wiped, I started the game again on Hard but I played that level a different way so I don't know if it would work on other difficulties.

Just reading this page, and haven't followed the thread at all, but just got past the
Terminus hotel
and the disguise system seems useless. Im playing on normal, and getting into a disguise does nothing for me. Ill walk into a room, walking normally, and a guy from 30 feet away will immediately go "Hey you!".

I enjoyed the stealth in Deus Ex, I cant even stealth in this. Too many people moving too fast who are too suspicious and too eager to alarm everyone in the world if they even smell something could maybe possibly be wrong. I just said fuck it last level and was walking into rooms and down hallways, shotgun in hand, mowing down everyone.
If you are disguised as a cop for example, other cops will always spot you. Sometimes you have to watch where you're going and what area you're in. You could be trespassing or the area is hostile no matter what, you'll always be spotted with or without a disguise. I actually don't like how the area is marked in the game, sometimes there's a sign saying "Keep Out" then fair enough, but sometimes I just wander into an area and suddenly I'm spotted, I didn't even know that was a restricted area, they could have highlighted the area on the mini-map or just an indicator telling you "Approaching Restricted Area". You don't know you're trespassing until YOU ARE trespassing, though it doesn't happen too often for it to be a major annoyance.

Can someone clue me in to what the safe house stuff is for? Is there a point where you can choose load outs or upgrade weaponry?
It's for Contract Mode, you get to pick your loadout that you've unlocked in story mode before you start a contract.

Just been filling in an online survey for the National Union of Students, asking me about what gaming companies I've heard of, systems I own, etc.

Then it asked me to comment on the advertising for Hitman, and now it's asking me about which fast food chains I like. What was that about Mountain Dew and Doritos?

So I decided to rent it for Ps3 while I'm out of town. First I'd like to say that the game looks and runs phenomenally on the system. I am very impressed with that. I put some more time in on Normal and the game is a bit more bearable. I stand with the people criticizing the disguise system which is annoying and at times broken. I want them to patch it so it works. Otherwise mission structure isn't that big an issue with me. I can see the comparisons to Chaos Theory oddly enough. The last level I played was an extremely satisfying experience, felt like the old games. It's a good game in the end, but not always a great Hitman game. It is certainly the most impressive game of the past year, technically and aesthetically.

Just been filling in an online survey for the National Union of Students, asking me about what gaming companies I've heard of, systems I own, etc.

Then it asked me to comment on the advertising for Hitman, and now it's asking me about which fast food chains I like. What was that about Mountain Dew and Doritos?

Today I noticed some Rustlers products with Hitman advertising plastered on them, although they've targeted the "Xtreme Hardcore Gamerz" market in the past.

MormaPope

Banned
I've only done the King of Chinatown mission and I must say I love this game. I can't deny this is very different than past Hitman's, but the amount of joy I've had is pretty surprising. Continually knocking out a mob of civilians with melee attacks made me giggle like a school girl, the amount of ways you can dispose of a target is still there completely, by impressions here I thought the game would be much more linear.

Absolution makes me feel like a methodical badass, the other Hitman's did this also, but agent 47 feels much more capable and deadly in this Hitman. I'm also glad this Hitman is actually difficult in it's own nature, been playing on Hard with Instinct stuff turned off and the AI hasn't really bothered me.

It really is a mixing of Hitman and Splinter Cell, for whatever reason though a lot of people here are off put with that combination.

I only have one huge gripe and that's the scoring system always being shown. Patch in a option to remove that shit from my screen please.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shit.

I traded the Janitor for the Electrician outfit. But then again, I punched the Electrician in the face.

I should start again.

I think the electrician would work well on the upper floor still. Janitor just lets you more easily walk around the first one as well, since there's only one other Janitor IIRC.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Can the janitor walk around freely on the upper floors too?

7th, pretty much. You're not allowed in other peoples rooms or the one with the police tape, but you can still sneak in there. Nobody is suspicious otherwise and you can scope the area. 8th is locked down so nobody can, but I found a really good path that pretty much brings you to the door.

FStop7

Banned
I just strolled up to the King of Chinatown and shot him in the head. I don't get mired in details.

So far I'm not really liking the game that much. The detection is ridiculous. I think I'm going to go back and play Blood Money or something.

Fruitster

Having alot of fun with this game. It's not quite what I expected or hoped for after Blood Money, but it's a very good game in it's own right. But I have to mirror what people are saying about the highest difficulties. The disguise system really doesn't work well coupled with how quickly people notice 47. Very little time to react and with no manual saves, it means alot of replaying the same sections over and over. If the game had Blood Money's system we'd be onto a winner.

Dilly

Banned
Yeah, disguises are useless. Covers blown immediately when walking by someone so it results in me having to play this game as if I'm playing Splinter Cell.

Disguised as The Patriot, but, even though only fighters are accepted through the locked doors, there's a small cutscene showcasing a suited 47 handing the silverballers over to the entrance guy. What gives? Fucking IO don't even remember what they come up with, lol.

To be fair, every Hitman game has relied on prerendered cutscenes like that. It's dumber in 2012, but it's not unique to Absolution at least.

I just strolled up to the King of Chinatown and shot him in the head. I don't get mired in details.

So far I'm not really liking the game that much. The detection is ridiculous. I think I'm going to go back and play Blood Money or something.

Yeah, the game probably isn't that fun if you just wanna walk up and kill targets with a shot to the head. lol.

Yeah, disguises are useless. Covers blown immediately when walking by someone so it results in me having to play this game as if I'm playing Splinter Cell.

Nope. You just have to find the right disguise. Or know how to use it properly.

Using lighter in the vents is such silliness.

Die-Hard is the shit! Haha.
645099-1.jpg

That's what I did on my first playthrough. Knocked out a cop, took his clothes, blew up his car to distract the other cops, walked up to the pagoda and shot him in the head. Two minutes.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Absolution's disguise system is so fucking stupid that Santa's cover would be blown by fake shopping centre Santas. Because they both wear red and have white beards.

Zep

Banned
The level unlockables are a great touch as well. I can see myself wanting to go back through them because the gunplay is only below Max Payne 3 in my opinion.

MormaPope

Banned
Absolution's disguise system is so fucking stupid that Santa's cover would be blown by fake shopping centre Santas. Because they both wear red and have white beards.

Honestly it isn't that far stretched that guards notice a pale, muscular man that they have never seen before dressed up as someone they saw go into the bathroom and never come out. This has always irked me about the entire series, Hitman 2/Contracts sort of had the right idea, Blood Money made disguising a boring way of playing the game.

If disguises worked like they did in Blood Money, Absolution would be one the easiest stealth games of all time.

Top Bottom