• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Where are those from? I must know.

Boy, you are in for one hell of a ride. Disco scene is godly.

Perfect! I've gotten to the point now where to prefer to play a lot of third person games
(particularly single player) with the 360 controller on my PC. Nothing beats sitting back with the controller and enjoying the PC graphics!

Controller is way better. As one review mentioned - the game uses too many button inputs for actions that could've been done with the same input. On the pad you do not have this problem.

Jintor

I would play it with 360, but I started with KB+M and now I'm used to it. Also, the first time I played with the 360 controller, I hit a button and pulled out my shotgun in the middle of a crowded bar.

richi_one

I think we might still have a few sitting around at the store. I'll try to remember to check tomorrow and get back to you.
That would be great. I preordered it @ amazon.it buy they ran out of codes on november 9th (so it seems). I tried to contact Square Enix for support...
Anyway, thank you!

Another thing that really irks me in this game: doors. Not being able to peak through keyholes has been annoying when you aren't relying on instinct to see through the wall. You also can't manually close them again after they've been opened - you have to wait for them to close by themselves. These are things so simple that i'm really surprised they weren't fixed.

derFeef

Another thing that really irks me in this game: doors. Not being able to peak through keyholes has been annoying when you aren't relying on instinct to see through the wall. You also can't manually close them again after they've been opened - you have to wait for them to close by themselves. These are things so simple that i'm really surprised they weren't fixed.

I agree, altough the heartbeat has been a neat helper with the doors, that way I know someone is close.

Holy fuck.. it seems that if you restart from a checkpoint, knocked out people respawn back to life. I knocked out the rock star guy in Terminus hotel and dumped him in a crate, advanced a bit to hit a checkpoint, died then reloaded, and decided to backtrack through that room again - he was walking about!? I already noticed some changed guard patterns when I reloaded sometimes and I think this explains why. Unacceptable if true.

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy fuck.. it seems that if you restart from a checkpoint, knocked out people respawn back to life. I knocked out the rock star guys in Terminus hotel and dumped him in a crate, advanced a bit to hit a checkpoint, died then reloaded, and decided to backtrack through that room again - he was walking about!? I already noticed some changed guard patterns when I reloaded sometimes and I think this explains why. Unacceptable if true.

It's true - guards respawn when you load a checkpoint.

My bet is that checkpoints were a last-minute addition and they didn't really think it all the way through.

justjim89

Checkpoints save my ass sometimes. If you reach a checkpoint and reload it, it's true that guards re-appear, but states of suspicion go away and NPCs that were in your way are elsewhere on their route. Came in handy at the end of Chinese New Year.

rvy

Banned
Checkpoints, some minor collision issues (47's arm clipping through his legs when he's using instinct, for example) and disguises need to be patched. Hopefully they are. Still very much enjoying this.
It's a shame that they removed the stairs animation, the NPCs seem to still have it. Must be a hardware limitation issue. His feet don't recognize lower heights anyway, this is obvious whenever you have to walk through some lifted ground.

Jintor

Resetting the world can also be beneficial. In Rosewood, for instance, all the mooks are having a team meeting at the beginning of the map so if you're closer you can actually sneak past.

rvy

Banned
Has anyone else noticed that, in the strip club mission, flashlights cast light through walls? Some ridiculous shit, lol. Another thing that needs to be patched.

Jintor

Strip club was so, so small :T

For all I whine about Absolution I can see the seeds of an amazing Blood Money 2-esque pure sandbox game.

How much do you think corner takedowns and subdues change the game? Blood Money used to be, like, 2 guaranteed syringe injections and you had to human shield/knockout if you wanted more unconciousness. Now you can knock anybody unconscious in the right situation, but it still seems rare enough that that pretty much never happens.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The graphical quality we can accomplish in this day and age sure is something.

hit13ipdi.png

hit2seq5d.png

hit36ooiu.png

Silent Assassin on Expert on King of Chinatown, hell yeah. Trying Prologue with Purist to see if I can get SA there.

EDIT: FUCK! 34 410 on Purist, all challenges completed. Can 310 points for one pacification make a difference?

I've only done the King of Chinatown mission and I must say I love this game. I can't deny this is very different than past Hitman's, but the amount of joy I've had is pretty surprising. Continually knocking out a mob of civilians with melee attacks made me giggle like a school girl, the amount of ways you can dispose of a target is still there completely, by impressions here I thought the game would be much more linear.

Then you'll LOVE the last 5 minutes of the Giant Bomb Quick Look ;)

Nome

So I guess the disagreement is in that you think it's allowed to be unrealistic when it's overly punishing and frustrating like the many responses in this thread, but not when it's fun like in Blood Money?
No, I'm just pointing out that if you want to criticize a mechanic, criticize it for its GAMEPLAY issues, not its creative/realism issues. Most of the people in this thread criticizing it from a realism standpoint seem to have no issue with the (even less) realism behind the disguise mechanic in previous games.

alife

There's no fucking point in using a disguise, even with Chameleon III. Bitch asses keep pointing me out and shit, annoying (Like how the fuck does every single damn cook in the 2nd Chinatown playthrough know what the fuck every chef there looks like? Why they even mad? I'm just walking around derivering duh pohk frie rie). So now everybody on most stages just ends up dying or being subdued. On the stage where you
kidnap Lenny
, everyone died. Everyone. And then I got a lowly Veteran score because there wasn't enough storage around for the pile of bodies.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Just did a steam shot of this view, the lighting and texture work is insane.

2012-11-21_00001.jpg

Imagine if Glacier 2 was used for a Deus Ex game. Jesus...

Choc

Banned
So they took Splinter cell conviction and copied it

well ok

but really guys

why is it that i can get my disguise blown, kill a guy with 3 guys still around, change to his clothes and they are like ALL COOL MAN, and not chasing me. wat?

Holy fuck.. it seems that if you restart from a checkpoint, knocked out people respawn back to life. I knocked out the rock star guy in Terminus hotel and dumped him in a crate, advanced a bit to hit a checkpoint, died then reloaded, and decided to backtrack through that room again - he was walking about!? I already noticed some changed guard patterns when I reloaded sometimes and I think this explains why. Unacceptable if true.
This makes the checkpoints absolutely useless! Noticed this too today in the basement of the hotel. all guys were up and awake with me in the middle of them lol.

I guess I do not use disguises anymore either. They are equally worthless. I just do some of them to get the chameleon challenge.

btw even the Hiding Challenges in the library are broken. You can hide the same person all over again (after reloading) to achieve both (hide 8 people in total) challenges :(

Oh and Fuck it @ Train Station, perhaps I'm just too dumb. They always spot me (inside the crowd) and I'm doing slow :( Game crashed for me few minutes ago so I'll continue tomorrow.

Anyways: the game is great and has a nice feeling. I hope they fix some of the broken gameplay elements

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
At least this can be viewed as a solid stealth title and has far more depth than it would when compared to the most recent Splinter Cell entries. I've only just got to the strip club and I do miss some of the bigger sand boxes and the previous disguise system, this seems a lot more like Silent Assassin than Blood Money though. Great game though, masterful art.

What gfx card are you running this on man?

Some serious detail..

Just duel AMD 6970 Cross fire.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There's no fucking point in using a disguise, even with Chameleon III. Bitch asses keep pointing me out and shit, annoying (Like how the fuck does every single damn cook in the 2nd Chinatown playthrough know what the fuck every chef there looks like? Why they even mad? I'm just walking around derivering duh pohk frie rie). So now everybody on most stages just ends up dying or being subdued. On the stage where you
kidnap Lenny
, everyone died. Everyone. And then I got a lowly Veteran score because there wasn't enough storage around for the pile of bodies.

... dude... really?

Jintor

By the way, did anybody find the non-female chefs in Chinatown didn't actually look asian? Not even sure many of them had the accent.

The fact that I won't be able to play this for at least a few weeks might actually be a blessing in disguise, if IO can tweak the AI and (much less likely) the checkpoints. Have the devs said anything about possibly changing AI behaviour?

alife

I seriously need to upgrade because this game is chugging on my HD 4890. I've been looking at the HD 7970 so far. Does anyone think it's worth buying? Or would anyone who owns this card recommend it?

I personally recommend an NVIDIA (560TI +) card over ATI because of general driver issues with ATI cards.

Why are you caught up on this facet of the mechanic for realism purposes? Did you not have an issue with the old Hitman games, where you could walk into a bathroom in a suit, then walk out in someone else's outfit right in front of a guard?

No, I'm just pointing out that if you want to criticize a mechanic, criticize it for its GAMEPLAY issues, not its creative/realism issues. Most of the people in this thread criticizing it from a realism standpoint seem to have no issue with the (even less) realism behind the disguise mechanic in previous games.

I am criticizing it from a gameplay standpoint. I was being facetious about its realism... My overall point, as others have already pointed out anyway, is how inconsistent to the point of useless it is. Regardless, it is the least of this game's problems.

DukeBobby

I am criticizing it from a gameplay standpoint. I was being facetious about its realism... My overall point, as others have already pointed out anyway, is how inconsistent to the point of useless it is. Regardless, it is the least of this game's problems.

Really? I see it as the game's most glaring issue.

justjim89

I just encountered my first frustratingly hard mission in this game. Fuck Rosewood. Fuck it up the ass. I almost threw my laptop across the room. I'm at the part where you have to get the fuses, playing on hard. Fuck this level. Guards everywhere, little room to get around, the fuses are in big ass clusters of guards, and I don't have the silenced pistol I picked up last mission. God damn it I'm mad. I refuse to believe there's a way to beat this mission without just shooting the whole place up. I love this game, but shit I hate this part.

Why is it when I kill/subdue a person, take their outfit, click a checkpoint, restart from that checkpoint because I've fucked up the level, does the person who's outfit I took, still and walk around as normal? And I still have their outfit on.

This happened in the first level with the chef. Killed him, took his gear, done a checkpoint, fucked up the mission so I restarted from checkpoint...Oh he's alive again, even though we're both wearing the same exact outfit.

I just encountered my first frustratingly hard mission in this game. Fuck Rosewood. Fuck it up the ass. I almost threw my laptop across the room. I'm at the part where you have to get the fuses, playing on hard. Fuck this level. Guards everywhere, little room to get around, the fuses are in big ass clusters of guards, and I don't have the silenced pistol I picked up last mission. God damn it I'm mad. I refuse to believe there's a way to beat this mission without just shooting the whole place up. I love this game, but shit I hate this part.

Are you going suit only or something? I didn't have too much trouble with it.

DukeBobby

Rosewood is a terrible mission. God knows what they were thinking when they designed it.

justjim89

Rosewood is a terrible mission. God knows what they were thinking when they designed it.

Seriously. It's not even the fact that it's evasion focused. I loved Run For Your Life. This is just terrible level design based around artificial difficulty. The first aspect of the game I find legitimately poorly made.

Are you going suit only or something? I didn't have too much trouble with it.

The mook outfit doesn't fare much better since there are so many guards and so few chances to regain instict.

Hmm guess I'll have to redo that one again and see if I was just lucky the first time, granted I did play that one like Chaos Theory the whole way.

vidcons

Banned
Man, all these problems people have with the game just seem like standard problems of the Hitman series, shifted to different game mechanics.

EatChildren, never stop posting those pics. I'm on Medium quality, and while totally stunning, the quality does not compare.

Loving this entire thing.

Even if you hate the game but admire the visual charm and world design, check out the team's take on Kane and Lynch. Dog Days is $9 on Steam right now and it is a spectacular little journey. This group has my money.

e; But for realsies, is there a way to get past the part right before Chinese New Year without being detected, wearing a disguise, and playing on hard difficulty? There is one guard who doesn't move, just stands there and watches over half the landscape. I ended up strangling him when everyone's back was turned and wearing the uniform out. That t'was very cool.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Kill everyone. The book of the lord will help you with this.

justjim89

Kill everyone. The book of the lord will help you with this.

Yeah, I plan on killing anyone I need to. These guys aren't cops just trying to do their jobs, they're bastards. The problem is just the abundance of guards and how densely they're dispersed. I apologize for the language in my earlier post, but it's so infuriating.

Top Bottom