• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

MormaPope

Banned
lol "Hey what's that on the back of your head! Is that an owie, a boo-boo?!"

The NPC dialog and reactions to 47 adds a lot of atmosphere and fun to the game. For all the praise Blood Money gets, the completely mute robotic NPC's are pretty jarring thinking back.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Honestly it isn't that far stretched that guards notice a pale, muscular man that they have never seen before dressed up as someone they saw go into the bathroom and never come out. This has always irked me about the entire series, Hitman 2/Contracts sort of had the right idea, Blood Money made disguising a boring way of playing the game.

If disguises worked like they did in Blood Money, Absolution would be one the easiest stealth games of all time.

I'm generally okay with the disguise changes, but I do think they notice it from too far away. You decrease suspicion by turning around, but I think a bloody band aid is a bit more suspicious and recognizable. :p

Also, it's 100% dumb that there are outfits with masks that they see through.

The NPC dialog and reactions to 47 adds a lot of atmosphere and fun to the game. For all the praise Blood Money gets, the completely mute robotic NPC's are pretty jarring thinking back.

This is definitely a great change. I had a lot of comments in Hunter and Hunted when I went into the club as a cop, like the girl in the hallway saying something like "Go right in and thanks for your service officer".

It really is a mixing of Hitman and Splinter Cell, for whatever reason though a lot of people here are off put with that combination.

Before i had the game I heard people saying this i thought "ugh, I don't want that." And then I got the game and realized that yes, I really, really do want that. Much like XCOM this is the proper way to update an older franchise. It's a bit slicker and maybe loses a modicum of depth from the old games but it stays true to what the franchise is about, it isn't a 'dumbed down' game and it looks and controls like something modern.

I love it.

MormaPope

Banned
I'm generally okay with the disguise changes, but I do think they notice it from too far away. You decrease suspicion by turning around, but I think a bloody band aid is a bit more suspicious and recognizable. :p

Also, it's 100% dumb that there are outfits with masks that they see through.

I'll completely agree on that. That's the AI's simpleness kicking in.

Interfectum

Honestly it isn't that far stretched that guards notice a pale, muscular man that they have never seen before dressed up as someone they saw go into the bathroom and never come out. This has always irked me about the entire series, Hitman 2/Contracts sort of had the right idea, Blood Money made disguising a boring way of playing the game.

If disguises worked like they did in Blood Money, Absolution would be one the easiest stealth games of all time.

I agree. I don't think the disguise system is broken I just think it's way, way too unforgiving. It doesn't even give you a chance to react which leads to a shit load of restarts. Reduce the distance and reaction time and add a few more rare outfits into the mix and it would be fine. Disguises with masks should give you slower reaction time and even closer distance as well.

Hard is my suggestion. Expert is just too unforgiving on some of the stages, but normal is essentially easy mode.
Expert. A lot of people are complaining about respawning enemies when you spawn at a checkpoint in a given section. Expert turns off all the checkpoints and simply spawns you at the beginning of each section (not at a beginning of a given level!).
if you're a hitman vet, I would recommend hard. if you're not, normal or easy so you can become accustomed to the game and don't find it overly hard during some of the latter stages, which are terrible but that's just my opinion.

so in short, hard if you're a vet, easy to normal if you're not.
Thanks guys

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

It's really fundamentally broken though. Keep playing and you'll make this discovery soon enough. It's shaped the game from "decipher the pros/cons of each disguise, work out how to get them, in what order, and how you can manipulate the AI and environment to your favour all the while you stay in plain sight" into "I hope you have instinct! Or can find the magic nobody-detects-you outfit!". The trial-and-error tedium it introduces on higher difficulties is absurd.

Like, the idea that people can spot you while wearing a similar outfit to them is okay to me, if it's contextually relevant and mechanically sound. Squad leaders who know their troops. Screwing around and behaving like an idiot making you seem suss and out of place. But not like the way Absolution does it. Like my early example: chefs in King of Chinatown will identify you in a chef outfit regardless of any logic or reason.

I really, truly feel Absolution is total utter shit in the disguise department. To the point where I derive no enjoyment from it what-so-ever.

EDIT: I guess my cliff notes would be that I feel stealth in Absolution has almost nothing to do with cerebral level puzzle solving of disguises and social stealth, and almost everything to do with mechanical based hide-and-seek, take downs, and instinct. Which means sneaking around reminds me more of Splinter Cell than Hitman.

Foffy

Banned

I don't want Blood Money, I'd like basic Silent Assassin/Contracts again. What we got here is essentially Hidden Valley/At The Gates AI for every single mission. It's better to be Sam Fisher in the game.

JambiBum

I'm with EC on the disguises for the most part. I really like the idea of the people belonging to whatever group your disguise belongs to being able to identify you easier, but as I said in my long post about disguises, detection only relies on line of sight and not player behavior now. If they had implemented the new system using player behavior within line of sight and proximity of an AI then it would be close to perfect. I would love it if you were a cop and could walk around normally through areas but once you did something out of the ordinary your disguise would be blown to other cops who noticed. If you did something out of the ordinary as a cop around chefs for example, they would take notice and comment, but your disguise wouldn't be blown unless you kept doing strange things. If they can some how implement a system like that through a patch the game would go from an 8 to a 10 for me.

Papercuts

I'm with EC on the disguises for the most part. I really like the idea of the people belonging to whatever group your disguise belongs to being able to identify you easier, but as I said in my long post about disguises, detection only relies on line of sight and not player behavior now. If they had implemented the new system using player behavior within line of sight and proximity of an AI then it would be close to perfect. I would love it if you were a cop and could walk around normally through areas but once you did something out of the ordinary your disguise would be blown to other cops who noticed. If you did something out of the ordinary as a cop around chefs for example, they would take notice and comment, but your disguise wouldn't be blown unless you kept doing strange things. If they can some how implement a system like that through a patch the game would go from an 8 to a 10 for me.

Yeah, I do hope they tweak it a bit because I like the foundation a lot. I'd even be okay if they keep it as it currently is(if not make it stricter) if AI find a body missing an outfit. Then they have a reason to be so suspicious, but otherwise it should rely on proximity more. Now proximity only makes it so being close is nearly instantly failed, only you get cover suspicious it's very hard to not screw up unless there's a hide spot right there.

hit1e0d2t.png

hit22ufi6.png

The detail on his head from the tessellation in the second pic... just stunning. And the sad thing is people won't say "Next-gen is here" until they see stuff like this running on a console in a year or more down the road.

Papercuts

Started working on King of Chinatown for challenges, so many small things that you try and do!

Are you doing all the challenges before you move on to another level? Seems like an interesting way to do things.

I'm really looking forward to marking these off, perfect idea for the franchise.

Are you doing all the challenges before you move on to another level? Seems like an interesting way to do things.

I'm really looking forward to marking these off, perfect idea for the franchise.

Yes, I plan to do all the challenges before I move to next level. Can be tedious for some, but I like it this way.

Later I will jump in Contracts mode, I have a few achievements left there.

Dilly

Banned
Nope. You just have to find the right disguise. Or know how to use it properly.

How do you use it properly then? I still have to sneak around without being spotted if I'm dressed the same as the people in the room.

Only changing outfits into something else works.

Absolution's disguise system is so fucking stupid that Santa's cover would be blown by fake shopping centre Santas. Because they both wear red and have white beards.

Apparently 47 lives in a world where no profession has ever had to hire new employees. Ever.

I am walking around Chinatown, the Chinese New Year part. I am merely walking amongst the crowd. Every cook at a booth is suspicious of me. I can't even plant rat food in a dish without a cook staring at me.

Nome

Apparently 47 lives in a world where no profession has ever had to hire new employees. Ever.

I am walking around Chinatown, the Chinese New Year part. I am merely walking amongst the crowd. Every cook at a booth is suspicious of me. I can't even plant rat food in a dish without a cook staring at me.
Why are you caught up on this facet of the mechanic for realism purposes? Did you not have an issue with the old Hitman games, where you could walk into a bathroom in a suit, then walk out in someone else's outfit right in front of a guard?

justjim89

I know, right? What the fuck?

How do you use it properly then? I still have to sneak around without being spotted if I'm dressed the same as the people in the room.

Only changing outfits into something else works.

I never said that you still won't have to sneak around at all. Knock out and hide guards, granting you instinct. Blend past them. If it is so hard for you, or you feel that you aren't able to bank enough instinct....play on a lower difficulty.

Stet

Banned
Why are you caught up on this facet of the mechanic for realism purposes? Did you not have an issue with the old Hitman games, where you could walk into a bathroom in a suit, then walk out in someone else's outfit right in front of a guard?

No. 47 is a professional hitman and in the news articles after Blood Money it always said that nobody even noticed him. He's supposed to blend in and be totally forgettable when he's in disguise.

FStop7

Banned
No. 47 is a professional hitman and in the news articles after Blood Money it always said that nobody even noticed him. He's supposed to blend in and be totally forgettable when he's in disguise.

Tall ass bald dude in a black suit with a barcode on the back of his head.

The gray man.

Nome

Well, now I've seen everything.

MormaPope

Banned
It would look even better if the lame ass score bar wasn't there.

I'm not even against the way things are scored, I just hate how arcadey the score bar can make the game feel at times. Apparently on purist difficulty all of the hud is gone and only a crosshair remains.

I think the game looks superb most of the time - reminds me of The Witcher 2 in a lot of ways. But there's certainly some questionable use of effects and coloring, especially in cutscenes.

Stet

Banned
That's... my point...

So I guess the disagreement is in that you think it's allowed to be unrealistic when it's overly punishing and frustrating like the many responses in this thread, but not when it's fun like in Blood Money?

jrcbandit

I like the idea of the disguise system here, but it is way too pointless in its current state. Detection needs to be based more on proximity and character type. Guards and police should be most suspicious from a distance, while other professions should require getting much closer before anything is triggered. Also it should depend on the level, as a more open level should have chefs not really caring at all that you are dressed as such when you are in a market like the king of China level, unless you do something highly suspicious like attack someone.

Jintor

I like the idea of the disguise system here, but it is way too pointless in its current state. Detection needs to be based more on proximity and character type. Guards and police should be most suspicious from a distance, while other professions should require getting much closer before anything is triggered. Also it should depend on the level, as a more open level should have chefs not really caring at all that you are dressed as such when you are in a market like the king of China level, unless you do something highly suspicious like attack someone.

Mask costumes should be way more powerful too :T

kaskade

I have to admit, the disguise system is way too strict. I don't think you should just be able to do whatever you want but I feel like it's way to easy to be recognized. Half the time even with a disguise I'm still trying to sneak around like I would without it. In the mission with the masks, why the fuck doesn't he put one on too?

SJRB

Gold Member
Question for the cutscene after the King of Chinatown mission:

Why did 47 randomly give this guy his suitcase with equipment? I know 47 needs the guy's help but giving away your entire stash is pretty drastic, 47 is more calm and calculated than this. Also, am I supposed to believe an assassin like 47 doesn't have hidden weapon caches stashed all over the place?

Please tell me I'll eventually get my suppressed Silverballers back..

Probably sounds awfully nitpicky but that whole scene just felt so weird.

derFeef

Love Dexter, the acting is so well done.

I have to admit, the disguise system is way too strict. I don't think you should just be able to do whatever you want but I feel like it's way to easy to be recognized. Half the time even with a disguise I'm still trying to sneak around like I would without it. In the mission with the masks, why the fuck doesn't he put one on too?

I think the range needs fixing and it would be okay for me.

Kud Dukan

I do. Better that K&M. The x360 controller is perfect for this game.

Perfect! I've gotten to the point now where to prefer to play a lot of third person games
(particularly single player) with the 360 controller on my PC. Nothing beats sitting back with the controller and enjoying the PC graphics!

Top Bottom