• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

Kill everyone. The book of the lord will help you with this.
Yeah I took your advice and killed every single mofo on the level (except for
the tied up security guard
). The vast majority of them were painstakingly done by stealth too, but at one point right near the end I did get into a shootout and took out about 6 of them that way. That was a shame (I always feel like a failure if I have to pull guns on somebody) but the great success of flying axes and knives more than made up for it :)

Absolutely the best looking game I've played all year. Agent 47 especially looks incredible with tessellation on.

9b8790191515738d18176118ca40c667da845e09.jpg

95c13154750a9671ee84981a78baac5be20f8f98.jpg

Saved for future reference. Damn!

Wet bald agent 47 head *homer simpson drool*:
iErq0OAlbMARl.jpg

ixA4REufTsX4Y.jpg

isAzg7tSynSjy.jpg

iHBsAUvv5Dlrz.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't want to shit up this thread with a bazillion screenshots, so here's my last ones for now.

hit1oxf0w.png

hit2lyeyq.png

hit39yice.png

hit4dnfgc.png

Man, I do like this game but the disguise system just makes it frustrating. I get what they were going for, but in practice it just pigeonholes you too much, and dudes see you from way too far away.

That said, I think the game is solid. It still feels unique compared to a lot of games coming out right now.

Sanjuro

The disguise system is pretty strange. I can understand a police officer being suspicious and following you, but when you have a chef's outfit from one building and street vendors start getting cautious, following you into seedy alleyways...

Would they follow me if I looked like this?

0xN61.jpg

RevDM

Banned
Historically speaking, have devs made significant changes (like the ones we've been talking about) through patches?

justjim89

Historically speaking, have devs made significant changes (like the ones we've been talking about) through patches?

More drastic things have happened through patches. It's not unheard of, though I can't speak to IO's history with patching. There's probably a better shot of modders fixing the PC version.

rvy

Banned
Finished it. Liked it a lot. Liked the ending especially. Good game, IO. Some issues here and there, but very good overall package. Hopefully we get some patches to sort out some of the issues.

rvy

Banned
Never played hitman before, overall is this game worth a buy? I'd be getting it on PC.

I was about to post this anyway, so take it as you will: Blood Money is the best Hitman game of the franchise, Absolution is the best game of the franchise. If that makes sense.

Man, I do like this game but the disguise system just makes it frustrating. I get what they were going for, but in practice it just pigeonholes you too much, and dudes see you from way too far away.
The concept is fine, it just needs to be tweaked. The long range stuff is the most annoying; sure, have the warning come up when you're being scrutinised, but it would be better if the actual disguise erosion didn't begin until you were closer. That would keep people on their toes but not make them afraid to simply walk around. When you're using the cover system and flitting from cover to cover on a level like Chinatown you have to say that the mechanic is not working the way it should be.

RS4-

Am I missing something, but if I have something like a vase or extinguisher, I can't knock out someone? Just throw it somewhere as a distraction.

Am I missing something, but if I have something like a vase or extinguisher, I can't knock out someone? Just throw it somewhere as a distraction.

I'm not sure which version you're on, but I'll answer this using the PS3 controls...

Some items can be thrown, but not used for melee attacks. Some can be used for melee attacks, but not thrown. Most can be used for both (including the extinguisher, not sure about the vase).

For ones that can be used for both, with the item equipped and drawn, using the aim button (L2) will give you an aiming reticle, and the shoot button (R2) will throw it. If you want to use it for a melee attack, use neither L2 nor R2, but just walk up behind the enemy and you'll get a button prompt to "Attack" (square button on the PS3). Press that and you will clock them with it.

Rosewood is a terrible mission. God knows what they were thinking when they designed it.

I actually loved this mission... it was a pressure valve release for me. I spent all the previous levels being stealthy as fuck, not killing anyone except targets (one in particular seriously deserved what he got). When I got to Rosewood and saw what these pricks were up to...

God may forgive, but I
and 47
sure as fuck don't.

600px-machete-sw3000udqc7.jpg

Man, all these problems people have with the game just seem like standard problems of the Hitman series, shifted to different game mechanics.

EatChildren, never stop posting those pics. I'm on Medium quality, and while totally stunning, the quality does not compare.

Loving this entire thing.

Even if you hate the game but admire the visual charm and world design, check out the team's take on Kane and Lynch. Dog Days is $9 on Steam right now and it is a spectacular little journey. This group has my money.

e; But for realsies, is there a way to get past the part right before Chinese New Year without being detected, wearing a disguise, and playing on hard difficulty? There is one guard who doesn't move, just stands there and watches over half the landscape. I ended up strangling him when everyone's back was turned and wearing the uniform out. That t'was very cool.

Agree wholeheartedly. This team might be one of my favourites when it comes to visual style. It's gorgeous.

Edit: We seriously need some Badass Preacher 47 shots. Fuck, that was so awesome, just blasting through the psychos with a shotgun. It felt... satisfying.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think it's time I give up trying to do Expert Suit Only runs, way too much work and way too many extra guards. I think my enjoyment of the game should increase quite a bit when i'm not dealing with all that extra garbage.

I think I just slaughtered the entire Hope, South Dakota police department.

Time to reset!

This entire town feels like I just walked into the 50s. Starting a bar fight was kinda funny. Bottles in the face everywhere.

Also,
LYNCH! MY MAN! YOU'RE FUCKING LOSING IT! Was Kane around as well?

I am really enjoying this game. Do it think it is better than Blood Money? No. But nonetheless it is still an awesome game. I really like the flow of the story, the length (only half way through!), the disguises, it just all feels right.

Grisby

Couple questions:

1)Which console version to get? Was reading through the thread and thought I saw the PS3 version might be having a saving bug?

2)What difficulty to start on? Want a challenge and all but I've never played a Hitman game.

Pandemic

So annoyed! The game was stuck on the save icon, and waited 5 minutes so I tried to quit game but that didn't work either, turned it off from the power and bam, the whole save game for hitman is gone.... Gotta restart all over again.... :(

Couple questions:

1)Which console version to get? Was reading through the thread and thought I saw the PS3 version might be having a saving bug?

2)What difficulty to start on? Want a challenge and all but I've never played a Hitman game.
1) The problem exists on both PS3 and XBOX, the game freezes, forcing you to reset your console and your save is wiped.
XBOX thread: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57276-xbox-360-wipedcorrupted-save-file-twice-now-help/
PS3 thread: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57229-wiped-savegame-ps3/
On the PS3, you can only backup your save game with PS+ cloud saving (I was wrong about this, please ignore). Not sure about 360.
PS3 wins visually compared to 360, according to Digital Foundry.

2) I would suggest Normal if it's your first Hitman game, you can have fun with the new mechanics without too much restriction and frustration. The game is meant to be replayed anyway with different routes and alternative approaches, you can change the difficulty setting whenever you like.

So annoyed! The game was stuck on the save icon, and waited 5 minutes so I tried to quit game but that didn't work either, turned it off from the power and bam, the whole save game for hitman is gone.... Gotta restart all over again.... :(

What platform are you on? Happened to me on the PS3 as well. I think I'll wait until there's a patch or until they decide to let us backup our saves onto a flash drive.

anddo0

Stupid Ai or not. I'm dropping down to normal. The disguise system is a joke. I just want to enjoy the rest of the game. It's been way too frustrating thus far.

I know this game isn't about realism. But what's with the the cops shooting into crowds of one hundred plus people just because one guys looks suspicious? That kind of decision irks me to no end.

Pandemic

1) The problem exists on both PS3 and XBOX, the game freezes, forcing you to reset your console and your save is wiped.
XBOX thread: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57276-xbox-360-wipedcorrupted-save-file-twice-now-help/
PS3 thread: http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/57229-wiped-savegame-ps3/
On the PS3, you can only backup your save game with PS+ cloud saving. Not sure about 360.
PS3 wins visually compared to 360, according to Digital Foundry.

2) I would suggest Normal if it's your first Hitman game, you can have fun with the new mechanics without too much restriction and frustration. The game is meant to be replayed anyway with different routes and alternative approaches, you can change the difficulty setting whenever you like.

What platform are you on? Happened to me on the PS3 as well. I think I'll wait until there's a patch or until they decide to let us backup our saves onto a flash drive.
On the Playstation 3 too. Extremely frustrating..

justjim89

Just beat Rosewood. Still a very shitty level, but it was satisfying to just cut loose those pricks. Wade's death and Lenny standing up to him was pretty sweet, as was the scene with Blake and Birdie in front of Mount Rushmore. I really don't see why people hate the story. Well voiced, quirky, interesting characters, Bateson's best job yet as 47, and all the different thematic notes it hits. Now, onto a little town called Hope.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Seriously. It's not even the fact that it's evasion focused. I loved Run For Your Life. This is just terrible level design based around artificial difficulty. The first aspect of the game I find legitimately poorly made.

The mook outfit doesn't fare much better since there are so many guards and so few chances to regain instict.

There are actually a lot of ways to regain instinct here, you gain some back per fuse and some back with each knockout/kill. I use the guard suit to basically instinct in a room to grab a fuse and walk out. The one that's rough is the one deep in the room where people are looking around trying to take everything saying they'll make a lot of money, I can stealth the rest.

It is the hardest segment so far to me, though.

Just beat Rosewood. Still a very shitty level, but it was satisfying to just cut loose those pricks. Wade's death and Lenny standing up to him was pretty sweet, as was the scene with Blake and Birdie in front of Mount Rushmore. I really don't see why people hate the story. Well voiced, quirky, interesting characters, Bateson's best job yet as 47, and all the different thematic notes it hits. Now, onto a little town called Hope.

No, that was a great level.

600px-machete-sw3000udqc7.jpg

Finally, King of Chinatown challenges completed. Took me some time to figure out the secret challenges, and I dialed it down to Normal for Chameleon, but whatever. Terminus today!

Raptomex

So I just completed the game. I thought it was pretty fantastic. Much different than previous installments but a great game nonetheless. I love the replayability in this. The story was alright. I wouldn't call it "garbage" like some people but I wouldn't call it great either. The voice acting was pretty awesome. One of my favorite levels had to be where you get
ambushed in the hotel by the nuns
. Fantastic.
Running through the fields hiding in the vegetation with a knife taking out the guards one by one
. I felt so badass. One of the most memorable parts for me. I also enjoyed the atmosphere in this level. Something about it. So fun.

PS3 users:

Can you map fire to R1 in this?

thanks!

You can, and I did for a while, but for once, it may not be optimal. I don't know how often you'd use it, but I believe a half press increases accuracy before firing. I don't know if R1 does it, or if it's even possible considering the short button press.

Jintor

Thinking of it as Splinter Cell with light social stealth elements is making me feel a lot better about the game. And hey, there's some pretty hilarious guard conversations in this game that do a lot to make me feel really bad about occasionally mowing them down. (But sometimes you fucks are in a tiny room with only one exit and there's ten of you, so I don't feel so bad chucking a proximity mine in the centre)

I just backed my PS3 Hitman save file up to a flash drive without any problems (and without PS+), so just wanted to point out that the people who said you could only do it to the cloud were mistaken (thankfully).

Cloudy

Banned
The plot of this game is beyond stupid.
The cops only want answers about the dead maid but not all the other bodies I left in the hotel?

This game could have been great with some AI tweaks and a real scenario writer

Seriously? You can't back it up to flash drive? I thought devs had stopped copy-protecting save games on the PS3.

I just backed my PS3 Hitman save file up to a flash drive without any problems (and without PS+), so just wanted to point out that the people who said you could only do it to the cloud were mistaken (thankfully).
Ah thanks for clarifying, I just tested it out and it worked too. I saw the little yellow plus sign next to the Copy option and assumed that it was for Playstation+ only.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
LOL at the cutscene right after the intro to hope. I shot the guy who was talking right in the head the moment I got control back.

The plot of this game is beyond stupid.
The cops only want answers about the dead maid but not all the other bodies I left in the hotel?

This game could have been great with some AI tweaks and a real scenario writer

The problem with this is it's possible to beat levels without touching anyone.

Pandemic

Got stuck with the saving icon AGAIN, so I tried getting to the menu to quit the game and it's stuck on a black screen. What do I do?! I'm scared to shut it off by the power because it'll probably turn the file corrupt, meaning I have to start the campaign all over again, for the second time... :/

Got stuck with the saving icon AGAIN, so I tried getting to the menu to quit the game and it's stuck on a black screen. What do I do?! I'm scared to shut it off by the power because it'll probably turn the file corrupt, meaning I have to start the campaign all over again, for the second time... :/

Ended up restarting it, and it deleted the campaign! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I backup'ed my save onto a USB flash drive as soon as I found out it didn't require cloud saving. I suggest you do the same. This is happening too frequently to not take the precaution.

Top Bottom