• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

I'm several hours into this game, and I love it. I think I'm close to the end-ish.

I don't mind that it's a different game than Blood Money was honestly, except for one thing: I really, really miss climbing through the elevator hatches and choking people from above with the wire. So far I haven't encountered that in this game. Too bad- it was maybe my favorite way to kill people in the first.

Fry

Anyone who thought it would be a smart move to put linear levels in a Hitman next-gen game is a fucking moron.

Do we still have great places to visit after the clusterfuck that was Dexter Industries?

DukeBobby

Anyone who thought it would be a smart move to put linear levels in a Hitman next-gen game is a fucking moron.

Do we still have great places to visit after the clusterfuck that was Dexter Industries?

You have some of the best levels coming up. A couple of shit ones too.

It seems like sometimes you have to force the AI to trigger a patrol route. I'm on the
nun
mission and there's this one standing next to a bar talking to a soldier. You have to approach them and start hearing the conversation, otherwise if you skip past them they will just stand idle for the whole mission.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
It seems like sometimes you have to force the AI to trigger a patrol route. I'm on the
nun
mission and there's this one standing next to a bar talking to a soldier. You have to approach them and start hearing the conversation, otherwise if you skip past them they will just stand idle for the whole mission.

There are a metric ton of them throughout the game, it's incredibly distracting when it finally occurs to you after redoing a segment a few times but I can see why they did it.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS: On that note, I have a question for anyone who's finished the game:
I saw the scene where 47 caps Travis, then the scene where he watches Victoria and Diana through the sniper scope. When it got to the score screen (where you can see which items you picked up during the mission, and which ones you missed etc.) I hit Continue only to have the crash at that moment. I never got to see any credits or anything like that. Did I miss any story related tidbits or Easter eggs?

Birdie shows up at the police station saying he can find you... for a price of course

mujun

Didn't enjoy this at all. Finished it yesterday mainly relying on a combination of killing dudes (after a few attempts to stealth through, of course) and "Why are you sneaking around?" + "That dude really has an itchy head"

Seems silly to me that the best way (afaik) to get through a lot of sections is to constantly switch between sneaking behind cover and pretending to be one of the guys.

I really wanted a bunch of levels like the mansion in Hitman 2. I realize that I was probably naive expecting that seeing as Hitman 2 was a long time ago and even a lot of that game wasn't near as fun as the mansion level to me anyway.

I don't mind stealth games that punish you score wise. I think I just wanted it to be easier to avoid firefights if they twig to you (provided your planning was sound when the shit hits the fan) and just generally easier to manage your way through provided that you are observant and quick thinking.

Basically I was looking for something that has more in common with stealth in Dishonored. I'm guessing that is not what most of the other people posting in the thread want though.

Come to think of it if the game had had a save anytime option I may have enjoyed it way more. Resorting to straight up violence was usually a result of losing patience with the amount of work required to figure every step out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Thanks, I did it.
I did it without getting spotted but had to subdue 3-4 guys. I basically made a loop around to behind the trailer and threw a hammer at it till Patriot walked back there.
Really cool level.

:D

I know there's another way to kill him
knocking down the structure over the ring on top of him, a signature kill. Did that once but it caused a ruckus

A pretty cool way to clear this is
sync a sniper shot with the Patriot doing a ball punch to Sanchez. Shoot him right where the punch hits and people won't freak out.

Jharp

Just finished the first mission/tutorial, and i'm trying to remain optimistic. Blood Money's first level could easily have left a bad taste in one's mouth, too. Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy the first level here, it was just pretty... meh.

Not sure how I like the disguise system. It's cool how NPCs of different types can't see through my disguise, but NPC's of my own type seem to be able to see through my disguise from several hundred feet away. That doesn't seem like a fair trade off. I also noticed after reloading a checkpoint that all the guards I'd killed were alive again. I hope that's unique to the tutorial.

So yeah, I hope the game ends up being good, though through all of the glowing praise, there's been a fairbit of letdown with those older Hitman fans. PC Gamer and RPS specifically.

Nome

The graphics are so good, loving this depth of field http://www.abload.de/img/hma6erar.jpg
Spoilerish image

Spoiler about the scenario in that image.
What's the best way to finish off the first two nuns in that mission? I ended up shooting the first car's gas tank right away, which put everyone on alert and killed the first nun. Then I crept along the 2nd floor until I got a good shot at the 2nd nun while no guards were looking. This was the only way I could figure out how to do it undetected.
Surely there's cleaner methods?

Rebel Leader

What's the best way to finish off the first two nuns in that mission? I ended up shooting the first car's gas tank right away, which put everyone on alert. Then I crept along the 2nd floor until I got a good shot at the 2nd nun while no guards were looking. This was the only way I could figure out how to do it undetected.

The first nun is easy, as soon as the mission starts get out of the room and go left. On the left side of you near the corner there will be a box, hide in it. Wait for them to pass, get out wait to kill the saint with the wire (she shouldn't be too far from the box) after you see both men enter the room. Drag her back to the box
-----
Also here's a good way of doing shit,

Kill target 1 and cause a ruckus? No problem just activate a checkpoint after target 1 is killed . Reload checkpoint and target 1 is still dead but no ruckus

I don't think it dampers the score 1 bit =3

Jintor

Really? I'm not even sure how that would work! I'm really looking forward to going back and playing the missions again, especially the ones that I fucked up (playing on Hard) and ended up shooting my way out of.

I honestly don't know what happened. I was just trying to shoot them out of my way because the timer was counting down, and I heard a yell, looked up, saw an explosion and his ragdolled into the air and it snapped into a cutscene.

DukeBobby

Just finished the first mission/tutorial, and i'm trying to remain optimistic. Blood Money's first level could easily have left a bad taste in one's mouth, too. Which isn't to say I didn't enjoy the first level here, it was just pretty... meh.

Not sure how I like the disguise system. It's cool how NPCs of different types can't see through my disguise, but NPC's of my own type seem to be able to see through my disguise from seven hundred feet away. That doesn't seem like a fair trade off. I also noticed after reloading a checkpoint that all the guards I'd killed were alive again. I hope that's unique to the tutorial.

So yeah, I hope the game ends up being good, though through all of the glowing praise, there's been a fairbit of letdown with those older Hitman fans. PC Gamer and RPS specifically.

Nope, the checkpoints are like this throughout the whole game. It renders them pretty useless, in my opinion. My advice; don't bother using them. The game saves after you pass through to the next area anyway (most missions are split into small sections, like in the tutorial).

Papercuts

What's the best way to finish off the first two nuns in that mission? I ended up shooting the first car's gas tank right away, which put everyone on alert and killed the first nun. Then I crept along the 2nd floor until I got a good shot at the 2nd nun while no guards were looking. This was the only way I could figure out how to do it undetected.

If you go to the left outside of the hallway there's a box you can hide in. Wait in there until they pass, get out and garrote her and pull her back into it. Then at the bottom of the stairs just cover roll to the other side and pick up the poison and make your way around to the door from the outside. You can spike the other one's coffee.

A pretty cool way to clear this is
sync a sniper shot with the Patriot doing a ball punch to Sanchez. Shoot him right where the punch hits and people won't freak out.
Crazy :lol

I found a way to kill the second one clean and signature kill.
go down the stairs then use the covers to move all the way to the right and you'll see rat poison. Pick that up then you have to go north and then loop all the way around counter clockwise where the second nun is. The bar before the nun (not the one she's standing next to, one before it) allows you to spike the coffee with rat poison.

beaten :(

Rebel Leader

If you go to the left outside of the hallway there's a box you can hide in. Wait in there until they pass, get out and garrote her and pull her back into it. Then at the bottom of the stairs just cover roll to the other side and pick up the poison and make your way around to the door from the outside. You can spike the other one's coffee.

Poison? I didn't notice that

Rebel Leader

Nope, the checkpoints are like this throughout the whole game. It renders them pretty useless, in my opinion. My advice; don't bother using them. The game saves after you pass through to the next area anyway (most missions are split into small sections, like in the tutorial).

Don't use them? You didn't read my post did you =3

Also here's a good way of doing shit,

Kill target 1 and cause a ruckus? No problem just activate a checkpoint after target 1 is killed . Reload checkpoint and target 1 is still dead but no ruckus

I don't think it dampers the score 1 bit =3

For the second nun I just threw a meat cleaver at her from across the bridge while she was slurping coffee. I was only a few steps from the exit point then. Still got SA rating despite everyone finding her body (I don't think it impacts score in this game).

For the second nun I just threw a meat cleaver at her from across the bridge while she was slurping coffee. I was only a few steps from the exit point then. Still got SA rating despite everyone finding her body (I don't think it impacts score in this game).

no points for signature kill though. is there a way to get a signature kill on the first one?

Is anyone else going for Suit Only on their first run? I'm probably approaching the game the wrong way by doing so, especially on Expert, such that I spend at least a couple hours on each checkpont (still only on the sixth part of Hunter and Hunted). But I feel like since this game was clearly designed with traditional stealth rather than social stealth in mind, it feels the the only pure way to experience the level design. Just curious if anyone else is as masochistic as I am when it comes to stealth challenges.

EDIT: Going for the Unseen challenge at the same time. So many level replays.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Is anyone else going for Suit Only on their first run? I'm probably approaching the game the wrong way by doing so, especially on Expert, such that I spend at least a couple hours on each checkpont (still only on the sixth part of Hunter and Hunted). But I feel like since this game was clearly designed with traditional stealth rather than social stealth in mind, it feels the the only pure way to experience the level design. Just curious if anyone else is as masochistic as I am when it comes to stealth challenges.

I did suit only expert until the train station section in Run For Your Life. After that, I started using disguises and dropped the difficulty without giving a fuck. The game is clearly not balanced in any way for it.

I did suit only expert until the train station section in Run For Your Life. After that, I started using disguises and dropped the difficulty without giving a fuck. The game is clearly not balanced in any way for it.

I hit the wall there too, and "cheated" going down to Hard just for that section before bringing it back up again. What's frustrating is that Suit Only is specified as a legitimate challenge within the game, so I feel like I failed even though that section is clearly ridiculous on that difficulty.

I want to 100% the challenges, so I'll probably keep up with Suit Only, but maybe I'll rationalize doing it on only Hard by telling myself I'll get my "real" score once I go back and use the disguises on Expert (or god help me, Purist).

DukeBobby

Suit only on Expert? *shudders*

I can imagine that a lot of the levels would be doable, but that some of the longer, more linear missions would be a colossal pain in the ass, especially if you're trying to remain stealthy.

I think I'll stick with Normal/Hard and keep my disguises for now.

Papercuts

No fucking way? :lol That's pretty dumb, you should only get the bonus points for a real signature kill that you have to setup and such. That's lame, wonder why they did that. Glad I didn't know about it, I'm about 60% through the game now.

It's still the 'signature' way for the hitman to kill, I guess. You have to get secluded and up close which isn't always easy.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I hit the wall there too, and "cheated" going down to Hard just for that section before bringing it back up again. What's frustrating is that Suit Only is specified as a legitimate challenge within the game, so I feel like I failed even though that section is clearly ridiculous on that difficulty.

I want to 100% the challenges, so I'll probably keep up with Suit Only, but maybe I'll rationalize doing it on only Hard by telling myself I'll get my "real" score once I go back and use the disguises on Expert (or god help me, Purist).

Yeah I felt terrible giving up on my Suit Only/Expert run, it sounded like a great challenge to pull off but a lot of the times there are huge choke points which seemed impossible to pass. Decided it wasn't worth the frustration for my first playthrough, i'll get back to them eventually though.

Rebel Leader

No fucking way? :lol That's pretty dumb, you should only get the bonus points for a real signature kill that you have to setup and such. That's lame, wonder why they did that. Glad I didn't know about it, I'm about 60% through the game now.
Just killed a target with the wire and got a signature kill

Yeah I felt terrible giving up on my Suit Only/Expert run, it sounded like a great challenge to pull off but a lot of the times there are huge choke points which seemed impossible to pass. Decided it wasn't worth the frustration for my first playthrough, i'll get back to them eventually though.

It looks like I've been the only brave soul willing to go blind into Purist :p
From what I've been experiencing, Suit Runs seem nigh impossible to due to choke points being heavily guarded. A single wrench won't help me here :\

I'm currently on the first part of Dexter Industries, and I usually shoot the explosive barrel to destroy the Backup Security System in hopes that draws attention away from the entrance towards the exit. It's kinda frustrating that only some of the guards actually go investigate the explosion while some just stand around staring into space right in front of where I need to go.

Papercuts

From what I've been experiencing, Suit Runs seem nigh impossible to due to choke points being heavily guarded. A single wrench won't help me here :\

I'm currently on the first part of Dexter Industries, and I usually shoot the explosive barrel to destroy the Backup Security System in hopes that draws attention away from the entrance towards the exit. It's kinda frustrating that only some of the guards actually go investigate the explosion while some just stand around staring into space right in front of where I need to go.

I figure Dexter's Industries will be the hardest level in the entire game suit only, especially purist. Good luck, man. :p

Ending spoilers:
Birdie shows up at the police station saying he can find you... for a price of course
Cheers! I just watched that on youtube. Interesting. I really liked the way they wrapped the story up actually.

I honestly don't know what happened. I was just trying to shoot them out of my way because the timer was counting down, and I heard a yell, looked up, saw an explosion and his ragdolled into the air and it snapped into a cutscene.
You mean the little
proximity mine field?
Wow, that's a weird bug. There's no way an explosion from there should reach the top.

Fibre Wire is signature
Yeah they mention that on the loading screens.

I figure Dexter's Industries will be the hardest level in the entire game suit only, especially purist. Good luck, man. :p

I'm looking forward to some more unfair frustration that awaits in me in the game. Can't wait to beat the game, so I can finally turn down the difficulty and then just blow off steam by gunning everyone down.

Jintor

You mean the little
proximity mine field?
Wow, that's a weird bug. There's no way an explosion from there should reach the top.

It's possible that he might have been alerted, run down to find me and I shot a thingy just as he was in the area or something.

iNvid02

during the saints mission one of the guards kept unloading into a dead npc, never ran out of bullets and i had to restart. that was pretty funny

Papercuts

I just realized that you can mark the same person a shittload of times in point shooting. Doing this with a shotgun is hilarious, you just send the sliding across the room.

From what I've been experiencing, Suit Runs seem nigh impossible to due to choke points being heavily guarded. A single wrench won't help me here :

Finally another one! I'm not that far in yet though. Spent ages on the train station until learning the real advantages of hiding in crowds.

Papercuts

I'm on 360, here's a couple contract codes I made. Nothing all that hard yet, but I had a lot of fun making them.

5-0040-576843-fata
Name: Mad Grocery Boy
Disguise: Store Clerk
Level: Mansion Ground Floor

5-0810-810459-fata
Name: Anti Gun
Disguise: Chipmunk
Level: Gun Shop

5-0110-998161-fata
Name: Blood Money
Disguise: Bird Suit
Level: Chinatown Square