• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

That trainer would be a great way to show how short and linear the levels really are because it would break the entire level. The current disguise system is put in place to give the illusion of exploration and lengthy missions. Whereas Blood Money actually had these elements.

You really think so huh? Oh right, you have a Hitman avatar...

DukeBobby

That trainer would be a great way to show how short and linear the levels really are because it would break the entire level. The current disguise system is put in place to give the illusion of exploration and lengthy missions. Whereas Blood Money actually had these elements.

Blood Money had the shortest missions in the series.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well written review that explains how this game has been watered down. Someone who really gets what the previous games were all about (SPOILER WARNING):

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.394633-Hitman-Absolution

It does have a lot of changes but I don't agree with most of what he's saying. The disguises to still have a perk over the suit and he acts like there's no difference. You're going to always have to be going from cover to cover with the suit, with a disguise you have more leeway even if you need instinct in many spots. He says how being a priest at a wedding is iconic but the judge here doesn't get you anywhere when it makes both the first and segment segment MUCH easier.

He seems to just attack absolution for stuff like the glass floor you can shoot out while defending BM's glass hottub with "it makes sense, ya know?", even though a lot of the accidents in that game are also clear. Crow girl standing right under a piano with a clear path to get up there. People waiting by railings in a secluded area. I love BM, but jeez. There's a lot of obvious ways to take out targets but stuff you have to think about still exist.
In Fight Night, you can snipe from the upper floor and sync a sniper shot when the patriot punches him in the balls to take him out.
There are more obvious ways to go about this, but they usually cause the crowd to freak out.

Also, the Chipmunk is 'random' but it's also a reference to the early stages of the game when there was going to be a hot sauce factory. There's also a chef outfit from what that level would have been in the game.

justjim89

Tried the trainer out of curiosity and it did nothing. There's a large chance I've simply done something wrong.

-Went into cvarlist and changed:
"[AI_InstinctRevealTime] -> [1.500000][0]" into "[AI_InstinctRevealTime] -> [50.000000][0]"
"[ai_DisguiseDetectionDistanceMultiplier] -> [-1.000000][0]" to "[ai_DisguiseDetectionDistanceMultiplier] -> [0.000000][0]"

-Launched Configurable Injector, got a message saying I don't have privilege to run in debug mode, try running as admin.
-Window pops up, says Target: [PROCESS] HMA.exe
-Launch Absolution, window closes, play game and nothing is different.

How does this work?

Well written review that explains how this game has been watered down. Someone who really gets what the previous games were all about (SPOILER WARNING):

That review is oddly structured. He clearly has issues with the game's tone, but completely drops his discussion of it a quarter of the way through to talk about gameplay. I agree with his points about why Absolution was a disappointment as a Hitman game from a mechanics perspective, but I would have been interested to read more about his opinion on how the Hitman tone failed to be adapted properly.

I'm still only on Hunter and Hunted, so I don't have an informed opinion yet, but it's true that Blood Money had a very distinct feel--47's coldness contrasted with the exaggerated caricatures of his target and environment. For those of you further along, how well do you think this was translated in Absolution? Certainly the cutscenes I've seen so far aren't exactly compatible with the emotionless 47 of BM.

Foffy

Banned
Tried the trainer out of curiosity and it did nothing. There's a large chance I've simply done something wrong.

-Went into cvarlist and changed:
"[AI_InstinctRevealTime] -> [1.500000][0]" into "[AI_InstinctRevealTime] -> [50.000000][0]"
"[ai_DisguiseDetectionDistanceMultiplier] -> [-1.000000][0]" to "[ai_DisguiseDetectionDistanceMultiplier] -> [0.000000][0]"

-Launched Configurable Injector, got a message saying I don't have privilege to run in debug mode, try running as admin.
-Window pops up, says Target: [PROCESS] HMA.exe
-Launch Absolution, window closes, play game and nothing is different.

How does this work?

Did you press F9? You have to press F9 to enable it.

justjim89

It does have a lot of changes but I don't agree with most of what he's saying. The disguises to still have a perk over the suit and he acts like there's no difference. You're going to always have to be going from cover to cover with the suit, with a disguise you have more leeway even if you need instinct in many spots. He says how being a priest at a wedding is iconic but the judge here doesn't get you anywhere when it makes both the first and segment segment MUCH easier.

He seems to just attack absolution for stuff like the glass floor you can shoot out while defending BM's glass hottub with "it makes sense, ya know?", even though a lot of the accidents in that game are also clear. Crow girl standing right under a piano with a clear path to get up there. People waiting by railings in a secluded area. I love BM, but jeez. There's a lot of obvious ways to take out targets but stuff you have to think about still exist.
In Fight Night, you can snipe from the upper floor and sync a sniper shot when the patriot punches him in the balls to take him out.
There are more obvious ways to go about this, but they usually cause the crowd to freak out.

Also, the Chipmunk is 'random' but it's also a reference to the early stages of the game when there was going to be a hot sauce factory. There's also a chef outfit from what that level would have been in the game.

If there's one thing we can take away from the discussion around this game, it's that Blood Money is infallible and is in no way janky or easy. And any sort of jank or simplicity is not worth discussing because it's better than Absolution. Because Absolution is the devil.

Did you press F9? You have to press F9 to enable it.

Oh, I see. Just anytime after the game starts?

Thank god that save corrupt thing didn't happen to me. Game is so long, I couldn't have coped with doing it all again, total pet peeve.

Can't say I think the checkpoint stuff should be altered anyway, no mission is so long that you can feasibly complain you lost alot of progress because you had to go out or w/e and otherwise you need to work on stringing it all into one go through, instead of checkpoint checkpoint checkpoint.

I'm at piece with the disguise system, but I'll definitely go through again once they've tweaked that. I can imagine for those who have got used to the system and figured out how to work with it (or around it haha) will find the game mega easy once they've change it.

Nome

I'm really curious about the studio alternation, and how IO feels about it. Infinity Ward was very bad about sharing assets. I hope whatever agreement they have leads to some top quality games.

I think he was trying to illustrate how different the previous games were with regard to how you approach the missions. In BM, most missions went:

1) Scout non-hostile area
2) Find a way to get a disguise that gives you free reign over the level
3) Take your time to discover the space and make connections for potential kills without fear of being detected
4) Pull off your accident kill and walk out without anyone being the wiser

Granted, the assassination missions I've played--King of Chinatown and the Strip Club--work like this, but all the non-assassination missions play a lot more like a Human Revolution level, where the disguise is just another vent that you have to use a limited resource (Instinct) to access. It's not bad stealth by any means, just not the Hitman legacy.

MormaPope

Banned

Yeah, because the people enjoying Absolution have never ever been Hitman fans or played Hitman since it started as a series.

Give me a fucking break. "Someone who really gets what the previous games were all about" is such a condescending and asinine thing to say.

DukeBobby

Yeah, because the people enjoying Absolution have never ever been Hitman fans or played Hitman since it started as a series.

Give me a fucking break. "Someone who really gets what the previous games were all about" is such a condescending and asinine thing to say.

Sounds like Derrick.

Foffy

Banned
If there's one thing we can take away from the discussion around this game, it's that Blood Money is infallible and is in no way janky or easy. And any sort of jank or simplicity is not worth discussing because it's better than Absolution. Because Absolution is the devil.

Oh, I see. Just anytime after the game starts?

You'll hear a sound ingame that dictates it's been activated. I just tried the Orphanage, and it's FAR better. Guards are only responsive if you're running or within 3-5 feet of them. God, it's like Silent Assassin. <3

MormaPope

Banned
You'll hear a sound ingame that dictates it's been activated. I just tried the Orphanage, and it's FAR better. Guards are only responsive if you're running or within 3-5 feet of them. God, it's like Silent Assassin. <3

I want the patch for the console versions ASAP after hearing about people using mods making the disguise system less sensitive. Also if I had to do a ranking of the Hitman series:

1. Contracts
2. Absolution
3. Blood Money
4. Hitman 2
5. Codename 47

For me, Blood Money sorta declines in quality once you reach the Murder of Crows mission. I've replayed Blood Money so many times, and every time I reach that mission the game loses steam for me.

Thanks!

Been testing it a lot and yes, it does make the disguise system much more bearable.

BUT:

That trainer would be a great way to show how short and linear the levels really are because it would break the entire level. The current disguise system is put in place to give the illusion of exploration and lengthy missions. Whereas Blood Money actually had these elements. In Absolution you fight for every corridor/room just like a splinter cell game using oddly placed chest high objects. In previous Hitman games you were free to explore nearly all the map using a disguise (sometimes without a disguise) and plan out assassinations using your map.

.. this is exactly what happens.

The game is fundamentally borked as a Hitman game. Still enjoying it enough, but quick fixes like this aren't going to save it. I think most of the game would need to be redesigned.

DukeBobby

My ranking:

1. Silent Assassin
2. Blood Money
3. Contracts
4. Absolution
5. Codename 47 (I never got around to finishing it. I think I gave up during the Columbia missions. I'm planning to finish it soon.)

Also, top 5 best and worst Hitman missions. (I'll leave out Codename 47)

Best:

1. The Meat King's Party (Contracts)
2. A New Life (Blood Money)
3. Basement Killing (Silent Assassin)
4. Invitation to a Party (Silent Assassin)
5. Curtain's Down (Blood Money)

Worst:

1. At the Gates (Silent Assassin)
2. Operation Sledgehammer (Absolution)
3. Shogun Showdown (Silent Assassin)
4. Dexter Industries (Absolution)
5. The Wang Fou Incident (Contracts)

Foffy

Banned
I can confirm the sight changes only apply to disguises, as being in areas with the wrong attire still have the same level of hostility, as they should.

If I were to rank the games (not counting Absolution just yet, I have to let the game sink in first.)

1: Silent Assassin
2: Codename 47
3: Blood Money
4: Contracts

justjim89

Yeah, just played through the back half of Operation Sledgehammer with the trainer. It makes it much more tolerable to play as a Hitman game. I'm playing on hard, and I got the sense that if I got too close or stuck around too long my cover would get blown. Anyone playing on Expert or Purist have reports of how quickly you can blow your cover? It shows that the levels weren't entirely designed around using this sort of disguise mechanic (at least the one I was playing) but I still had to use a bit of instinct here and there when the detection indicator came up. And I got "suspicious" just for running.

I wanted to try and beat the game vanilla, but I'm 28 hours in. I've given the game a fair shake in it's original form and love it that way. But this does make it feel a bit more Hitman-esque.

Also, 47 at the start of Part III:

new_suits.jpg

Someone really needs to shop his head somewhere in there.

Fry

Never finished the first one.

1. Blood Money
2. Contracts
3. Silent Assasin

Absolution isn't a Hitman game. But anyway, I'd rank it above Silent Assassin.

justjim89

I've yet to beat Absolution, but I'm about 30 hours in. I'd rank the games:

1. Silent Assassin
2. Contracts
3. Absolution
4. Blood Money
5. Codename 47

I'd have to really think about favorite levels.

Hindle

Banned
My list.

Blood Money
Contracts
Silent Assassin
Absolution.

It's too much of a side step to even be classed as n Hitman game IMO.

Nome

Never finished the first one.

1. Blood Money
2. Contracts
3. Silent Assasin

Absolution isn't a Hitman game. But anyway, I'd rank it above Silent Assassin.
And The Phantom Menace isn't a Star Wars movie either, right? -_-

1. Absolution
2. Blood Money
3. Contracts
4. Silent Assassin
5. Codename 47

That doesn't mean I think they should stick with the Absolution format. It has a ton of flaws. But I did enjoy it much more than the other games. It's certainly not built to have the staying power of Blood Money or Contracts though, even with the Contracts mode. The level design just doesn't support it. Here's to hoping for a more traditional Hitman 6 that combines the mechanics and design of traditional games with the polish and attention to detail that Absolution had.

Papercuts

I think he was trying to illustrate how different the previous games were with regard to how you approach the missions. In BM, most missions went:

1) Scout non-hostile area
2) Find a way to get a disguise that gives you free reign over the level
3) Take your time to discover the space and make connections for potential kills without fear of being detected
4) Pull off your accident kill and walk out without anyone being the wiser

Granted, the assassination missions I've played--King of Chinatown and the Strip Club--work like this, but all the non-assassination missions play a lot more like a Human Revolution level, where the disguise is just another vent that you have to use a limited resource (Instinct) to access. It's not bad stealth by any means, just not the Hitman legacy.

Yeah, Absolution does change this a lot, but I guess to me "hitman" didn't just mean being in a disguise while you killed someone. I always loved the series for the options you had to get through every level, the ability to get through with no one being the wiser, stuff like that. Absolution isn't as traditional in most cases but still has options all over the place and still gives you the ability to go through not killing anyone you don't need to.

That said, I do think it has flaws and Operation Sledgehammer and Dexter's Industries are currently my two least favorite segments because of the sheer amount of guards. You really feel more funneled specifically in these spots, while I really enjoyed RFYL and Rosewood. I do think they need to tweak the discovery distance, but I also noticed the game is already much more like Hitman on normal compared to hard, expert, purist. Normal is a lot more lenient and I can use disguises pretty much how I always did, which frankly makes the game extremely easy, but it's handy to scope out levels.

I want the patch for the console versions ASAP after hearing about people using mods making the disguise system less sensitive. Also if I had to do a ranking of the Hitman series:

1. Contracts
2. Absolution
3. Blood Money
4. Hitman 2
5. Codename 47

For me, Blood Money sorta declines in quality once you reach the Murder of Crows mission. I've replayed Blood Money so many times, and every time I reach that mission the game loses steam for me.

Some of the best missions in the game are after that, not to mention the very best(House of Cards).

What was that line from the mission text for the Epilogue? Something like
"This is how it's supposed to be. Me. A target. A contract."
Couldn't agree more IO, you knob jockeys! That line is a knife in the guts.

I do love this game, and understand that the decision to go with a proper narrative made the simple contract-style missions sort of redundant... but I still wish there could have been more proper hits in this Hitman game.

Jintor

I hope the next game either throws out the narrative completely or treats it in such a way that even if all we're playing is massive sandbox hit missions it still makes sense. Because... I do not want any more fucking move from A to B and avoid the guards missions, unless I choose to take that stupid path in a sandbox or something.

1. Contracts
2. Absolution
3. Blood Money
4. Hitman 2
5. Codename 47

This is where I'm at with my list. I think Absolution captures a lot of the Hitman style, regardless of some side-stepping and questionable design choices. I wonder how much the current consoles limited the design of levels, especially. Contracts is still my favorite because it was just so damn grim.

Call me an aesthete, but Absolution ranks so highly for me for the technical and visual quality alone. It's absolutely gorgeous.

t-ramp

So, I'm three missions in and liking Absolution a lot. It's taken me many, many tries to beat these levels, especially Terminus - partially due to playing on Purist and also because I'm not very good. However, I really haven't become frustrated and feel like I'm noticing things that someone playing on an easier difficulty might not figure out. That said, at this point I'm not worrying about challenges and such so there's still a ton of stuff I could go back and do.

General positive impressions aside, I don't think the level design is perfect by any means, and especially in Chinatown the disguise system is a bit silly. I'm looking forward to tackling further missions, although I plan on playing this game gradually and not rushing through it.

Also, the only other Hitman I've played is the entirety of Silent Assassin, which I loved, and a bit of Contracts. At some point I'll probably pick up Blood Money and finish Contracts, but for now I'll try to enjoy this narrative-driven take on Hitman.

Papercuts

Lol @ easy. Literally can blend walk forever.

Also some of the IO contracts are pretty damn hard. Medieval Method was tricky, I managed to get ~400K which is solid. I can't seem to find a way to jump to my place on the leaderboard(really, what) but I saw it around 200 on the national one.

leng jai

I'm pleasantly surprised at just how good the gunplay is in this game. It's perfectly viable (and fun) to straight up play this game as a third person shooter.

Bad7667

I would love to see everyone who enjoys absolution more than blood money or the other games, the way they played those other games. Because the way I played all of those games is nothing even close to the way I'm playing absolution. Not that that invalidates anything, but it would make more sense to me if the people liking this more enjoy shooting a lot in the others and don't mind killing more than the target.

This game doesn't have a lot of things that make those other games so great. But it does have average shooting where as the others had poor shooting mechanics.

Why take out the keyhole design from the other games is another addition to my list of odd choices.

RevDM

Banned
I would love to see everyone who enjoys absolution more than blood money or the other games, the way they played those other games. Because the way I played all of those games is nothing even close to the way I'm playing absolution. Not that that invalidates anything, but it would make more sense to me if the people liking this more enjoy shooting a lot in the others and don't mind killing more than the target.

This game doesn't have a lot of things that make those other games so great. But it does have average shooting where as the others had poor shooting mechanics.

Why take out the keyhole design from the other games is another addition to my list of odd choices.

Because you can see through walls

jimi_dini

Does this apply to US?

No idea. I tried it using my Hong Kong Square Enix account and the first code was sent to me via e-mail. I then tried to access hitman.com/sniper and it said "can't access at this time". The e-mail said something about 20:00 - 6:00 only, maybe they are only allowing access at a specific time or maybe this part is IP blocked. Will know it later this day.

It seems they somewhat even blocked the hitman.de site by IP ranges (strangely I can access it w/o problems). Anyway use a Webproxy for accessing the first site: http://www.4proxy.de/

EDIT: I just tried again to redeem my first code and voila, got a PSN download code now. Worked fine.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
terrible disguise system makes this one a disappointing Hitman game(great game though)
my ranking
1. Silent Assassin
2. Blood Money
3. Contracts
4. Absolution
5. Codename 47

I'm enjoying Absolution so far and I've to say that I enjoyed Blood Money the most by playing it suit only, which requires a quite similar style like in Absolution. A lot of hiding and distracting guards by throwing coins and guns. Playing Blood Money the "regular" way was just way too easy. And I never liked to shoot my way through any of the games and hardly ever even pick up a gun.

Here's my list btw:
1. Silent Assassin
2. Contracts
3. Blood Money
(4. Absolution)
5. Codename 47

The first two being clearly above the others and Absolution having a slight possibility of climbing up one spot.
I'd like to add, that I like everyone of them a lot, even C47.

Jackpot

Banned
In the
courthouse
level I picked up a shiv that triggered an 11 stage challenge called
one man riot
. I was really jazzed thinking I'd have to lay the foundations for a prison riot but it turned out to be kill 10 people with a shiv. :(

Several levels I definitely felt like I was being rail-roaded to go the action route. Given access to lots of guns before hand, instantaneous recognition even with a disguise, all NPCs no longer classed as innocents. Stealthed through them but they were pretty boring.

The Iceman

Neo Member
My ranking of the Hitman games:

1. Contracts: The first one I played. Loved the dark atmosphere and huge levels like Beldingford Manor and Traditions of the Trade.
2. Blood Money: The accident system was a huge plus, and I liked the numerous big sandbox levels. Disliked the new save system that didn't keep saves after you shut it off.
3. Silent Assassin: Some missions were total rubbish (i.e. The Graveyard Shift, Hidden Valley), but others such as Invitation To A Party, Basement Killing, and The Jacuzzi Job make this a great game. Tough too. I must have played Tracking Hayamoto a dozen times before beating it.
4. Absolution: The only reason this is not #5 is because the Contracts mode is brilliant. Actually, it's the only thing that makes it feel like another Hitman title, with all the different "Hits" you can come up with. The actual game is such a let down: the broken disguise system, the removal of the integral map, the idiotic checkpoint system that when reloaded has re-spawned enemies (WTF?!?!?!), no in-game saves, way too many missions without actual "Hits," and way too many levels that are "go through this door", "go from point A to point B" and "run from the cops again." The missions Run For Your Life and Rosewood are absolute abominations to the series, and had me nearly pulling my hair out. Some have compared these missions to those in Manhunt, but I don't agree at all. I loved Manhunt, and in that game you are not punished for killing, and the killings are actually unique. I will not be playing through the actual story mode again, and this will be the only Hitman I play one time through. Without the Contracts mode, this title would not be replayable at all.
5. Codename 47: Hated this at first because it was so primitive, but ended up enjoying it for the missions that were remade in Contracts, especially Traditions of the Trade.

Top Bottom