• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It taught me how to do things. I actually liked it!

jimi_dini

Got PS3 code.
Tried to use PS3 code.......
"Code not valid"

Argh.
Do I need to use it on an account other than the US one?

It seems you need an EU account to redeem it. My PSN code didn't work for Hong Kong PSN, but it worked on my UK PSN account.

Like with all PSN downloads - after downloaded, the download will work for all accounts of the PS3. So you just need it for downloading.

Robot Pants

Ok guys. I've rented this game on 360 and PS3 (thank you RedBox free codes) and I definitely felt like the PS3 version was better, and more responsive in the menus (something small I noticed).
Now however, I have a beefed up new video card and I'm wondering how the PC version will fare on it, because that's the version I wanted to begin with. (Missed out on the GMG sale though :( )

How will it fare?
Quad Core i7
6 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 ti
Staples Mousepad

Ok guys. I've rented this game on 360 and PS3 (thank you RedBox free codes) and I definitely felt like the PS3 version was better, and more responsive in the menus (something small I noticed).
Now however, I have a beefed up new video card and I'm wondering how the PC version will fare on it, because that's the version I wanted to begin with. (Missed out on the GMG sale though :( )

How will it fare?
Quad Core i7
6 GB Ram
Nvidia GTX 560 ti
Staples Mousepad

You may need to upgrade your mousepad.

You'll be able to run it at max or near max settings, but probably with little or no MSAA if you want a smooth framerate, all depending on your monitors resolution of course. Needless to say, even with some settings bumped down, it'll look better than the console versions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Contracts mode desperately needs a popped suit collar 47 outfit selection. I must use that on every level, dammit.

justjim89

My memory escapes me sometimes. Has 47 ever been assigned to take out an objectively good person, with no dark underside? Seems like every one of his targets in every game is some type of scumbag. Even Swing King in Blood Money was dealing with gangs and caused several innocent deaths. I suppose a case could be made for Diana, as well, but even she appeared initially to be dealing in something a bit less than on-the-level. But I really don't recall 47 ever having to take out someone really beloved and with no apparent malevolent side. Which, to me, seems antithetical to the idea of an assassin. I think assassin, I think John Wilkes Booth or Lee Harvey Oswald.

Is this just to assuage the player of any sort of potential guilt? How come there's never been a mission where 47 had to, say, take out a beloved politician with lofty goals, and the fee is paid by some scumbag who doesn't want his illegal operations exposed? Amendment XXV in Blood Money was a great level and a great idea, but the VP was still a douche. I'd personally love it if you had to assassinate The President, or someone of that sort of notoriety, who has done no real moral or legal wrong on behalf of someone who is clearly up to no good. 47, at least within the actual assassinations in the games, is essentially a gun for hire who has never truly gotten his hands dirty.

DukeBobby

My memory escapes me sometimes. Has 47 ever been assigned to take out an objectively good person, with no dark underside?

Despite creating a missile guidance chip that could hurt the United States, I always felt a bit sorry for Charlie Sidjan's brother, who you assassinate in Basement Killing. He was only a pizza loving basement dweller :(

justjim89

The end of Blood Money owns.

The ending of Blood Money, at least for me, fucking killed my excitement of beating Blood Money. Forced shootout in a game with fucking awful shooting mechanics. The idea of shooting your way out of your own funeral is awesome. But after 20 deaths and 20 reloads, the novelty wears off. And you're just left with bad shooting. It's damned terrible and near unplayable.

Taruranto

Are cooks in Chinatatown part of some kind of collective subconscious or neural network?

I'm just asking, i don't live here so i don't know.

Papercuts

My memory escapes me sometimes. Has 47 ever been assigned to take out an objectively good person, with no dark underside? Seems like every one of his targets in every game is some type of scumbag. Even Swing King in Blood Money was dealing with gangs and caused several innocent deaths. I suppose a case could be made for Diana, as well, but even she appeared initially to be dealing in something a bit less than on-the-level. But I really don't recall 47 ever having to take out someone really beloved and with no apparent malevolent side. Which, to me, seems antithetical to the idea of an assassin. I think assassin, I think John Wilkes Booth or Lee Harvey Oswald.

Is this just to assuage the player of any sort of potential guilt? How come there's never been a mission where 47 had to, say, take out a beloved politician with lofty goals, and the fee is paid by some scumbag who doesn't want his illegal operations exposed? Amendment XXV in Blood Money was a great level and a great idea, but the VP was still a douche. I'd personally love it if you had to assassinate The President, or someone of that sort of notoriety, who has done no real moral or legal wrong on behalf of someone who is clearly up to no good. 47, at least within the actual assassinations in the games, is essentially a gun for hire who has never truly gotten his hands dirty.

I can't recall mission wise but there was some stuff in cutscenes. I recall the blood money one where he kills the random guy who delivers a letter to his room.

Also the VP in that mission was more than a douche, he was planning it. :p

Don't remember the motivations behind the wedding one aside from the bridge being the one that put the hit out, which is shown in the newspapers.

justjim89

Despite creating a missile guidance chip that could hurt the United States, I always felt a bit sorry for Charlie Sidjan's brother, who you assassinate in Basement Killing. He was only a pizza loving basement dweller :(

He's certainly rather sympathetic, but he wasn't exactly a good guy.

Foffy

Banned

Weren't all of the targets you were going after had some level of "shared" control between one another? Like, the generals in Russia were taken out so Sergei could have control over the Russian troops at their shared disposal, the Japanese were attacked for their missile guidance system, the Malaysians were attacked for their missile defense system, the Afghans were attacked for a nuke key, and the Indians were attacked for the nuke itself? It seemed like Sergei had some connections to all of them, similarly to how Ort-Meyer from the first game wanted his associates taken out. Then there's Mr. X...

Nome

Well, there is that. But I try not to think about the ending of Blood Money. Ugh.
In the canon ending to BM, 47 is dead, and he never gets up. The entirety of Absolution happens in purgatory. It makes sense if you think about it. In BM, Diana says that the entire Agency is gone--only her and 47 are left.

So.... I used the code you sent.
Created an Enix account.
Redeemed code.
Got PS3 code.
Tried to use PS3 code.......
"Code not valid"

Argh.
Do I need to use it on an account other than the US one?

Same here....I am in the US and after getting the PS3 code it says the code isnt valid ..It flat out doesnt work....

Same here....I am in the US and after getting the PS3 code it says the code isnt valid ..It flat out doesnt work....
Germany is in Europe, so the code is to the EU Playstation Store. What you need to do is create a new PSN with a European address (so that it's attached to the EU Playstation Store rather than the US one). Then you use that account to access the EU Playstation Store, redeem the code, and then download the sniper challenge. Once that's done you can sign back into your US account and play it.

Germany is in Europe, so the code is to the EU Playstation Store. What you need to do is create a new PSN with a European address (so that it's attached to the EU Playstation Store rather than the US one). Then you use that account to access the EU Playstation Store, redeem the code, and then download the sniper challenge. Once that's done you can sign back into your US account and play it.

I assumed that might be it....Thanks bro

Finished the game! I had a great time. My final thoughts below:

Pros:

- Gorgeous game. The art direction and technical work blend together so well.
- Great atmosphere. It feels like they threw a grindhouse flick, a crime movie, and a conspiracy thriller into a blender and Absolution is the result, and I love it. Chicago feels appropriately dirty and grimy, while Hope feels very much like a small town and that sort of vibe. The levels were really cool and there were some great atmospheric moments
like the cornfield, stalking the Saints was awesome or the crazy siege of Hope.
- Great voice acting. Looked like all the actors were having a fun time. The villains in particular were so over-the-top, I loved them. Bateson did great work as 47. He still remained mostly silent outside of the select screen briefings, but I hope they give him more dialogue in the next game.
- Stalking and killing people feels fucking satisfying. The controls are great, very smooth and responsive.
- The kill animations are awesome. Loved the katana, screwdriver, and THE GARROTTE. Also loved the animation of a Silverballer kill when 47 would grab the guy's mouth and shoot him in the back. Feels badass. Also love the multiple ways to kill people in most of the levels. Accidents feel satistfying.
- NPC dialogue. IO did fantastic work making the world feel lived-in through the dialogue. It's very funny and natural. I love it. There is some fantastic writing with the NPC dialogue.
- The humor. This might be one of the best black comedy games I've played.

Cons:

- The music was sorta meh. A great soundtrack really elevates the game, and it's a shame that this one was just sorta okay. To its credit, it picks up quite a bit near the end of the game, I thought. Also, I really love the end credits music. It's pretty great.
- Instinct and disguise. It needs to be tweaked. Disguises are sometimes a bit too sensitive while Instinct running out can get a bit frustrating. Having said, it didn't impact the fun I had with the game too much.

All-in-all, a fantastic and solid game. I loved it. I'm hyped for the next one.

On to Contracts!

To my recollection, he's never had a target that was unambiguously good, but he has killed innocent people (priest, mailman, reporter so as not to leave witnesses).

I honestly prefer killing horrible human beings in general. I love the Meat King's Party for that reason because... well, I get a certain satisfaction from killing bad, bad people in games, and I get no satisfaction in killing civilians, cops, or innocent people in general.

There needs to be a full version of this awesome song.

Hitman: Absolution - Black Bandana

Yeah! That song is awesome.

Yeah, the cornfield level was one of the highlights. And basically most of the first 10 levels, too.

Yeah, it kinda feels like it climaxed at
the end of Operation Sledgehammer, when Ave Maria plays and 47 walks away.

It would have been nice if Part III picked up and became more epic (as much as I hesitate to use that word. Instead, it feels more like it's winding down a bit and remains at a sort of constant instead of ramping up. Having said that,
garrotting Dexter was fucking satisfying.

No love for the courtroom part in Skurky's Law? That was probably my favourite area in the game, along with the cornfield part.

Courtroom was fantastic. Actually, the whole journey through Hope was great. Parts I and II are fantastic, but Part III kinda just feels less... awesome.
Blackwater
is not as fun as anything in Part I or Part II and the Epilogue from a gameplay perspective is... it's okay, it doesn't reach the awesomeness of Part I or Part II.

Part I feels like a desperate crime movie, while Part II is just a neat odyssey through the town, culminating when everything goes insane at the end.

Fry

No love for the courtroom part in Skurky's Law? That was probably my favourite area in the game, along with the cornfield part.

Oh, no, that was pure awesomeness. Blackwater was great, too.

I gotta say, the game is growing on me now that I'm replaying it on Purist.

Acinixys

Ive though about this a lot, and the thing that killed the game for me happened right at the beginning. This is 2012. We have the technology. So why the HELL does 47 follow the agency's orders and kill
Diana (They could have let you save her, which would have made the game so much more exiting)
, but then 5 minutes later, HE IGNORES THEM AND TAKES THE GIRL AWAY. WHAT. THE. FUCK. This is the worst hypocrisy Ive seen in a game in a long time. Especially since he likes
Diana
, but doesn't know shit about the girl.

It actually makes me angry that they did this. Its supposed to be a game. An INTERACTIVE story. So when they take full control and put all the good stuff in a cutscene, i lose respect for the game. Im not a baby. I dont want to my hand held the whole time. Video Games should have progressed past this bullshit cutscene to tell the story nonsense. Such important, story driven actions and decisions should be in the players hands. If you want to make movies, this isnt the medium to do it in.

/rant

Papercuts

Blackwater is probably my favorite mission in the game. The second segment is similar to the cornfield where you can stalk around and fuck everyone up. Only you have a katana, battle axe, morning star, etc.

The beginning segment has a TON of disguises, shooting the place up was some blood money level hilarity where I switch around outfits, waltz over a pile of corpses and nobody suspects a thing.

Ive though about this a lot, and the thing that killed the game for me happened right at the beginning. This is 2012. We have the technology. So why the HELL does 47 follow the agency's orders and kill
Diana (They could have let you save her, which would have made the game so much more exiting)
, but then 5 minutes later, HE IGNORES THEM AND TAKES THE GIRL AWAY. WHAT. THE. FUCK. This is the worst hypocrisy Ive seen in a game in a long time. Especially since he likes
Diana

It actually makes me angry that they did this. Its supposed to be a game. An INTERACTIVE story. So when they take full control and put all the good stuff in a cutscene, i lose respect for the game. Im not a baby. I dont want to my hand held the whole time. Video Games should have progressed past this bullshit cutscene to tell the story nonsense. Such important, story driven actions and decisions should be in the players hands. If you want to make movies, this isnt the medium to do it in.

It killed the game for you? Didn't you beat it?

Fry

It's just a shame that Dexter Industries and Operation Sledgehammer are in the game. Terrible missions.

Dexter Industries was a fucking travesty, I'm not playing it on Purist even if my life depends on beating it.

But goddamn, it's been difficult. I wonder if you guys also do what I do: when I'm stuck in a level, I start to create many situations that end in me killing everyone else in the room? It's just really fun to go all Terminator on people.

Nome

Diana

/rant
47 was supposed to kill Diana. As he fired, Diana said "wait". 47 decides to hear her out (he had no intention of doing so before she said "wait"). The rest of the game is about fulfilling Diana's wishes.

If you could "save" her, the game wouldn't be called Absolution.

Acinixys

It killed the game for you? Didn't you beat it?

Im about 70% through

47 was supposed to kill Diana. As he fired, Diana said "wait". 47 decides to hear her out (he had no intention of doing so before she said "wait"). The rest of the game is about fulfilling Diana's wishes.

If you could "save" her, the game wouldn't be called Absolution.

My point is that she was killed via a cutscene. It just feels cheap.

It's just a shame that Dexter Industries and Operation Sledgehammer are in the game. Terrible missions.

Dexter Industries is alright. I didn't have any problems with that. I pretty much just Splinter-Cell'd my way through. Operation Sledgehammer was fucking awesome. I tore through the Agency like I was fucking tornado, a specter of death and chaos let loose from the depths of the human soul..

Diana

/rant

Finish the game, bro.

Edit: Oh, killed via cutscene. Unfortunately, in order to set up a narrative, you gotta do it the way they want you to do it. Otherwise I imagine the narrative breaks down if you can do whatever. How can you converse with her if you dropped a chandelier on her head?

Top Bottom