• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hitman: Absolution |OT| Police do not suspect Blood Money is involved.

_RT_

Hitman Absolution Sniper Challenge - for free (PC, 360, PS3 - till 14.12.2012)

http://hitman.de/sniper/

Tried to sign up both at the link and through a proxy.
Couldn't use the link due to being in the US.
Using the proxy, I was able to enter my info, but got a "please try again later." when I hit submit.

If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Gracias-

My ranking of the Hitman games:

1. Contracts: The first one I played. Loved the dark atmosphere and huge levels like Beldingford Manor and Traditions of the Trade.
2. Blood Money: The accident system was a huge plus, and I liked the numerous big sandbox levels. Disliked the new save system that didn't keep saves after you shut it off.
3. Silent Assassin: Some missions were total rubbish (i.e. The Graveyard Shift, Hidden Valley), but others such as Invitation To A Party, Basement Killing, and The Jacuzzi Job make this a great game. Tough too. I must have played Tracking Hayamoto a dozen times before beating it.
4. Absolution: The only reason this is not #5 is because the Contracts mode is brilliant. Actually, it's the only thing that makes it feel like another Hitman title, with all the different "Hits" you can come up with. The actual game is such a let down: the broken disguise system, the removal of the integral map, the idiotic checkpoint system that when reloaded has re-spawned enemies (WTF?!?!?!), no in-game saves, way too many missions without actual "Hits," and way too many levels that are "go through this door", "go from point A to point B" and "run from the cops again." The missions Run For Your Life and Rosewood are absolute abominations to the series, and had me nearly pulling my hair out. Some have compared these missions to those in Manhunt, but I don't agree at all. I loved Manhunt, and in that game you are not punished for killing, and the killings are actually unique. I will not be playing through the actual story mode again, and this will be the only Hitman I play one time through. Without the Contracts mode, this title would not be replayable at all.
5. Codename 47: Hated this at first because it was so primitive, but ended up enjoying it for the missions that were remade in Contracts, especially Traditions of the Trade.

I can respect your opinions here, but I am confused why you don't see Instinct mode with enemies and pathing on as the integral map. It's the same thing, only streamlined and personally more efficient. I wonder what the response would be if the 'roles' were reversed; Instinct was part of the old games and was removed in lieu of an all-seeing map.

I'm also really starting to think that the split levels were the way they are simply for technical economy.

Not trying to call you out but the map thing is a non-issue to me and I always thought it had no place as it stands in the old games.

jimi_dini

Tried to sign up both at the link and through a proxy.
Couldn't use the link due to being in the US.
Using the proxy, I was able to enter my info, but got a "please try again later." when I hit submit.

I just tried again and got another code. Just sent you a PM with the code.

And got another code. Enter that code under www.hitmansniper.com/redeem Quote to reveal

EDIT: I just tried using http://www.german-proxy.de/ and getting a code worked perfectly fine using that proxy.

I'll go with mine since everyone is doing it.

1) Blood Money: so much liberty. The mine, the accidents, the incredible levels, the finally accomodating disguise system and everything. Easier, but better.
2) Contracts: often seen as a more of the same of SA, it's actually better in many ways. Too bad I found the first few levels tremendously limited.
3) Silent Assassin: Some levels were excellent, but others were irritating. So was the disguise system. Still loved it.
4) Absolution (?): I imagine it will go here when I actually play it. Maybe.
5) Codename 47: FRUSTRATING.

It's the kind of series that got better with every new game for me.

I can respect your opinions here, but I am confused why you don't see Instinct mode with enemies and pathing on as the integral map. It's the same thing, only streamlined and personally more efficient. I wonder what the response would be if the 'roles' were reversed; Instinct was part of the old games and was removed in lieu of an all-seeing map.

I'm also really starting to think that the split levels were the way they are simply for technical economy.

Not trying to call you out but the map thing is a non-issue to me and I always thought it had no place as it stands in the old games.
Personally, I think the lack of a map is an improvement. Playing Absolution, I realised that I used the map way too much before and that it's a much more tense experience without even having the option to look at one. I never use instinct to replace the map either (can't on purist), but that would probably kill the tension again.

Madouu

I played the first level of the game on expert difficulty yesterday and I ended up shooting everybody after I made a mistake, got spotted and thought fuck it I'll just see if I can clean out the whole zone. Still finished the mission without too much difficulty but something felt off.
I don't know if I was mad at myself for playing it that way or at the game for letting me get away with it on expert difficulty.
Oh well, I guess that was just the introductory mission and I was tired. I'll post some real impressions once I get a little bit further into the game.

vidcons

Banned
1.Absolution
2.Blood Money
3.Contracts
4.Silent Assassin

Probably the most consistent Hitman when it comes to enjoyment. Haven't really had a bad time with a level yet. The other games were uneven, with some levels being great and others horrible. The lock-and-key disguise system always felt like I was playing the way the developers wanted me to play. Absolution provides the sense that I'm creating my own ways to solve the problems around the designated paths, which I'd relate to Dark Souls in a sense.

For player narrative reasons, not anything else. I feel very in control of how I will deal with levels in Absolution. They make sense and are not using odd notifications for detection. Absolution will not betray you if you understand its rules, which then provides a playground for my interactivity.

Even at its best, I felt like I was always ending up with the same thing as someone else in Blood Money. They put me on a big map but always funneled me down the same paths, as apposed to being on a path that I could deviate from in Absolution. Blood Money's high points in player narrative always came out during a fail state. How did you fuck up and how did you finish the mission afterwards? How much can you mess up and still get as close as possible to Silent Assassin?

That makes for some really emergent gameplay, but it's something I never felt in control of and the game would always surprise me. I don't like to have to restart over and over again through trial and error only to encounter some sort of surprise change or oddity. That's what pushes you down the Silent Assassin paths. Then you're just on key hunts.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
For my rankings I will go with a tie for 2: Silent Assassin and 5:Absolution with blood money after.

Absolution has the best executed Hitman world without a doubt. The art team in IO are flawless. The director did a brilliant job. Absolution is far by the most tense and awarding Hitman because the AI is less exploited and way more harsher, just like it was with SA. I do love blood money for its puzzle sandbox but I have always enjoyed the stealth elements more but the disguise system needs to be like it was in BM. I cannot wait for the next chapter to combine everything and really make the perfect hitman game. The concept art for the next chapter looks great.

RevDM

Banned
Could someone grab me a download code and PM me please? I'm working 65 hours this week, won't have time to do this. Thx.

jimi_dini

Could someone grab me a download code and PM me please? I'm working 65 hours this week, won't have time to do this. Thx.

I can input your email adress, so that you get an email with the confirmation code. The site checks for throw-away e-mail adresses, so I can't just use one of those. And you also need a Square Enix account to get the actual PSN download code.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's too early for me to rank it considering I'm just now going after challenges and seeing what a lot of levels offer, but I really love Absolution. Blood Money's greatest strength to me is that I don't personally dislike any level, I felt they were all solid and fun to jump in and replay. I don't like Operation Sledgehammer and Dexter's Industries, but I liked/loved the rest. Absolution is also much longer. Silent Assassin has the same kind of pitfall where some of the levels are annoying but the length was more on par with Absolution. Contracts I wish I could remember more, I played it a couple of times but it's been a long time. I recall not liking it as much as SA but I couldn't articulate why now. I never finished C47.

grkazan12

Would love a sniper code as well, if anyone has any spares. Really wanted to check it out but gmg never gave them to U.S. per orders.

Double D

Yeah if someone would be kind to hook me up with a Sniper Challenge code I would greatly appreciate it. I'll PM my email address. Thanks

edit: just saw the proxy thing and tried it and when I enter my information I get the (google translated) error "You have the control words incorrectly". The pre-translation text reads "Du hast die Kontrollwörter falsch eingegeben"

KAP151

An update on save file glitch/crash:

Originally Posted by Nick@IO View Post
Update from IO.

The live team has fixed a huge number of things for a patch, which is currently being tested. I believe it's on it's way to PC today and consoles ASAP as well. We're getting a bunch of crash fixes in there, which should reduce, and for the vast majority, remove the save game crash issues.

However, we are not able to fix corrupted saves so if you're worried about your saves, please make backup copies of them.

As soon as we know more, we'll keep you informed. I'm very sorry about the delays in both patches and information but identifying issues just take time and potential radio silence isn't because we don't want to share anything - it's because we don't have the correct information (until now).

Bad7667

1.Absolution
2.Blood Money
3.Contracts
4.Silent Assassin

Probably the most consistent Hitman when it comes to enjoyment. Haven't really had a bad time with a level yet. The other games were uneven, with some levels being great and others horrible. The lock-and-key disguise system always felt like I was playing the way the developers wanted me to play. Absolution provides the sense that I'm creating my own ways to solve the problems around the designated paths, which I'd relate to Dark Souls in a sense.

For player narrative reasons, not anything else. I feel very in control of how I will deal with levels in Absolution. They make sense and are not using odd notifications for detection. Absolution will not betray you if you understand its rules, which then provides a playground for my interactivity.

Even at its best, I felt like I was always ending up with the same thing as someone else in Blood Money. They put me on a big map but always funneled me down the same paths, as apposed to being on a path that I could deviate from in Absolution. Blood Money's high points in player narrative always came out during a fail state. How did you fuck up and how did you finish the mission afterwards? How much can you mess up and still get as close as possible to Silent Assassin?

That makes for some really emergent gameplay, but it's something I never felt in control of and the game would always surprise me. I don't like to have to restart over and over again through trial and error only to encounter some sort of surprise change or oddity. That's what pushes you down the Silent Assassin paths. Then you're just on key hunts.

Absolution is more linear than any of the other games. How you can feel more funneled down a path playing Blood Money but not Absolution is hard to understand. More times than not you are going from point A to B. Blood Money is completely open from the start of a mission.

Absolution is completely the same for the trial and error the series has always had. If you want SA, you will have to restart at least once in any of the games.

Just one level in Blood Money offers more options to complete it than most of the levels I've played in Absolution. Curtains Down has 3 interesting ways to kill one guy, not including strangling. Most of the Silent kills in Absolution are completely obvious. Chinese New Year being the best example.

jimi_dini

edit: just saw the proxy thing and tried it and when I enter my information I get the (google translated) error "You have the control words incorrectly". The pre-translation text reads "Du hast die Kontrollwörter falsch eingegeben"

They are using reCaptcha. You either didn't enter the captcha correctly or you didn't see it at all. By using http://www.proxymus.de I'm definitely seeing the captcha.

I've been a big defender of this game. Even though it's different from Blood Money, I've been enjoying it a lot.

Just finished the Dexter Labs level though, and I have to say it wasn't fun at all.

_RT_

I just tried again and got another code. Just sent you a PM with the code.

And got another code. Enter that code under www.hitmansniper.com/redeem Quote to reveal

EDIT: I just tried using http://www.german-proxy.de/ and getting a code worked perfectly fine using that proxy.

So.... I used the code you sent.
Created an Enix account.
Redeemed code.
Got PS3 code.
Tried to use PS3 code.......
"Code not valid"

Argh.
Do I need to use it on an account other than the US one?

Finished the game this evening. Overall, I really enjoyed it once I managed to adapt to its flaws and new direction. It is NOT a Hitman game in my eyes - it's too different in terms of mechanics, level design, structure etc. If I was to draw a comparison, I think Absolution's departure from old Hitman is about as much as Conviction deviated from Splinter Cell. But unlike Conviction, this is actually a solid game that can stand on its own two feet. Here's a little breakdown of what I liked and didn't like:

+ new controls were mostly superb (although it did struggle at times when multiple items were overlapping). I would maybe swap aim with crouch though, since the emphasis is on sneaking.
+ story was well done overall. It didn't set the world on fire, but it was an obvious step up from previous games. Dexter was a fantastically disgusting villain. Also my favourite rendition of 47 yet.
+ very capable graphics engine. I think I would put it on par with something like CryEngine 3. sometimes it does push the boundaries of taste though, with all the lens flare and depth of field.
+ general presentation was superb - art, voice work, cutscenes, and even the music was decent despite lacking Jesper Kyd. You can tell those Square Enix dollars were used well.
+ Contracts mode is a fucking fantastic idea for asynchronous multiplayer. So much potential in this mode going forward.
+ long single player. it took me 14 hours to complete, which is excellent value for £20.
+ felt reminiscent of Manhunt and older Splinter Cell games, which were some of my favourite games last gen
+ there were quite a few moments that brought a huge grin to my face, like pretending to be a judge, and murdering people while dressed as a scarecrow in a corn field

- not enough traditional Hitman style levels. Probably only 1/3 of the game had open environments.
- ... and these open environments are fragmented by points of no return at that
- busted disguise system. A mod fixes it, but its influence runs so deep in the game's design that by changing it you expose how shallow the game's social stealth really is.
- Instinct needs a lot of tweaking, especially in how it's earned/recharges/depletes. And even with changes, you have to ask if it's all really worth it when a simple map sufficed.
- there is a much more arcade-y feeling to the game. From the HUD, to the huge emphasis on scoring and achievements, to even the feeling of the gunplay. I prefer things to feel more mature.
- the game's mechanics break the higher you put the difficulty. Purist mode is a nightmare and doesn't make the game like old Hitman at all.
- lots of small stuff that's bizarrely missing like not being able to close doors, no coin distractions, no first person view (really disappointing because there is so much environmental detail)
- I don't like the new inventory system. 47 should not be able to store a hunting rifle in his coat.
- AI isn't impressive. Crowds don't react enough when the shit hits the fan. They just kind of stand around screaming and gawking at 47 as he guns them down. There wasn't anything as cool as a random civilian grabbing a gun to try to be the hero like in Blood Money.
- I miss the whole mission preparation aspect where Diana briefs you and you pick weapons to take with you. I know the story couldn't accommodate it, but I miss it all the same.
- The newspapers and accompanying notoriety system were also really unique elements of Blood Money that are now gone. It had its problems, but don't take the Bioware approach and ditch rather than improve..
- I strongly dislike the idea of upgrading abilities. 47 is a badass with years of experience under his belt, he doesn't need developed during the game.
- broken checkpoint system. everyone should not respawn if i'm killed
Indifferent2.gif

- just generally very few moments that make you feel like a pure professional killer. you get none of that buzz that you get from popping a single bullet in a target's head, then calmly strolling out the front door while everyone is none the wiser. Absolution is more "wham bam thank you mam".

So overall, I believe that if Eidos Montreal (or whoever is in charge of the next game) were to take the positives and reconcile them with the old Hitman formula, you would have the perfect next step for the franchise.

vidcons

Banned
About to dive into this. I suppose the hardest difficulty is the way to go?

Hard is the closest to a middle ground of competency, although some parts are a little "Hmm."

Absolution is more linear than any of the other games. How you can feel more funneled down a path playing Blood Money but not Absolution is hard to understand. More times than not you are going from point A to B. Blood Money is completely open from the start of a mission.

Absolution is completely the same for the trial and error the series has always had. If you want SA, you will have to restart at least once in any of the games.

Just one level in Blood Money offers more options to complete it than most of the levels I've played in Absolution. Curtains Down has 3 interesting ways to kill one guy, not including strangling. Most of the Silent kills in Absolution are completely obvious. Chinese New Year being the best example.

The fact that they are obvious makes my creativity feel even more unique and clever. You could never be smarter than the developers for Blood Money. I wouldn't say the same thing about Absolution.

I'll type more... another time.

The Iceman

Neo Member

For me, the all-seeing map allowed me to come up with a very rough plan of action before even making the first move. That's the fun. I felt like a total predator knowing my target(s) location at all times, and not hunting from room to room with only the ability to see enemies, obstacles and perks in adjacent areas with the instinct "map." I've never played a stealth game with that feeling. Now with this Hitman, I feel like I've been thrown back into the average stealth game, hiding in the shadows and only knowing what's immediately ahead. But considering this game lacks the large sandboxes (the best aspect of Hitman actually) and is so goddamn linear, perhaps it isn't needed. The handful of small sandboxes (King of Chinatown) simply does not make up for this. Like right now I'm attempting to break into Dexter Industries, and I'm annoyed as hell at it. For me, this isn't Hitman. Traditions of the Trade, Invitation to a Party, Curtain's Down.... now that's Hitman! Just my opinion. I really hope this game is only a hiccup, and not the future of the series.

eshwaaz

I want someone from IO to explain to me how their implementation of the manual checkpoint system was a good idea. It's horrible on so many levels.

For me, the all-seeing map allowed me to come up with a very rough plan of action before even making the first move. That's the fun. I felt like a total predator knowing my target(s) location at all times, and not hunting from room to room with only the ability to see enemies, obstacles and perks in adjacent areas with the instinct "map." I've never played a stealth game with that feeling. Now with this Hitman, I feel like I've been thrown back into the average stealth game, hiding in the shadows and only knowing what's immediately ahead. But considering this game lacks the large sandboxes (the best aspect of Hitman actually) and is so goddamn linear, perhaps it isn't needed. The handful of small sandboxes (King of Chinatown) simply does not make up for this. Like right now I'm attempting to break into Dexter Industries, and I'm annoyed as hell at it. For me, this isn't Hitman. Traditions of the Trade, Invitation to a Party, Curtain's Down.... now that's Hitman! Just my opinion. I really hope this game is only a hiccup, and not the future of the series.

Fair enough, I never really thought of it like that as I didn't use the map all that much. Only to track the targets. I can see why Instinct feels limiting to people who really used the map extensively.

leng jai

Yep the checkpoint system is completely useless. Some of the mission segmentation is strange as well. A couple of them had more cutscenes than actually gameplay...

Sometimes I hate this game. I'm just gonna start going full on murder spree when it's looking like it's intense coverwaiting, pathstudying sneaky trial and error time again.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh good, another sandbox mission, finally!

Wait, this is the same Chinatown area as the last sandbox mission.

Fuck it. I'm done.

Jintor

Oh good, another sandbox mission, finally!

Wait, this is the same Chinatown area as the last sandbox mission.

Fuck it. I'm done.

Remember Blood Money?

When the whole thing was Sandbox missions?

Don't you want to break down and cry?

Top Bottom